Thoughts on Living Legends

CrumbsCrumbs Registered Users, Member 8 Posts
Anyone else think there are more deserving players Glu should deem living legends? Maybe the likes of deGrom or Trout, guys who dominate their position. Feel decisions like Machado are weak. Same with Realmuto, but if they wanted to throw a C in there, I get that. Maybe I’m missing something.

Comments

• aaronchennaaronchenn Registered Users, Member 455 Posts
    Crumbs said:
    Anyone else think there are more deserving players Glu should deem living legends? Maybe the likes of deGrom or Trout, guys who dominate their position. Feel decisions like Machado are weak. Same with Realmuto, but if they wanted to throw a C in there, I get that. Maybe I’m missing something.
    Trout is already a living legend. deGrom is a pitcher and we've only had batters for LL's, except for Verlander.
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    Yeah, where's the LL Pujols? Ya know, the GOOD one from like 04-06. 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • BizertoBizerto Registered Users, Member 105 Posts
    Yeah, where's the LL Pujols? Ya know, the GOOD one from like 04-06. 
    Retired 
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    The thing that makes me most upset with Living Legends is that last year they were top-of-the-line players, and this year they're simply bonus point guys who are 20-30 overall behind the curve. Fine if you have a hole in your lineup or are a new diamond team, but last year they were elite, chase-worthy players.
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    I wish there were more pitchers but I feel like one of themes of this year is those arent as easy to obtain
  • EamusCatuliEamusCatuli Registered Users, Member 66 Posts
    JEDDDOGGY said:
    The thing that makes me most upset with Living Legends is that last year they were top-of-the-line players, and this year they're simply bonus point guys who are 20-30 overall behind the curve. Fine if you have a hole in your lineup or are a new diamond team, but last year they were elite, chase-worthy players.
    I believe the LL last year needed lxp so that put them at the top of the line like you said. This year, with the lower maxes and pxp, they’re more like primes+ than legends. So pretty much “legends” in name only. 
  • TheFullMonteTheFullMonte Registered Users, Member 1,589 Posts
    JEDDDOGGY said:
    I believe the LL last year needed lxp so that put them at the top of the line like you said. This year, with the lower maxes and pxp, they’re more like primes+ than legends. So pretty much “legends” in name only. 
    Given the choice between the two, I’d prefer them be 10-20 points lower and only take PXP
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    JEDDDOGGY said:
    Given the choice between the two, I’d prefer them be 10-20 points lower and only take PXP
    While I do agree, to Jed's point, the living legend aura is definitely gone. I mean, the term is so cool. Living Legend! and now, they're just meh. lol
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    They just don’t make my roster anymore even as a bench guy. I like that they take pxp but the trade off is they aren’t really usable anymore. They were arguably my favorite players last year even though they took lxp. Bonus sets and decreased overall rating has rendered them basically useless unless they are part of the big set, which more often than not they aren’t. 
  • criffycriffy Registered Users, Member 625 Posts
    DFBB said:
    JEDDDOGGY said:
    While I do agree, to Jed's point, the living legend aura is definitely gone. I mean, the term is so cool. Living Legend! and now, they're just meh. lol
    problem is lots of these guys barely qualify. solid all stars? check - brantley, realmuto, blackmon, etc... living legend? would say there's only about 10-20 guys in the game that have the track record to qualify (kershaw, verlander, degrom, scherzer, trout, pujols, arenado, mookie, yelich, posey, bumgarner, etc.)
  • Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    Definitely.  And, to OPs point, they are certainly using the term "legend" loosely...

If they want it to be cool going forward, make them work like ATGs, but with pxp, and keep them always 20 points behind the top new release.  
    criffy said:
    DFBB said:
    JEDDDOGGY said:
    problem is lots of these guys barely qualify. solid all stars? check - brantley, realmuto, blackmon, etc... living legend? would say there's only about 10-20 guys in the game that have the track record to qualify (kershaw, verlander, degrom, scherzer, trout, pujols, arenado, mookie, yelich, posey, bumgarner, etc.)
    Man, we really going to debate the merits of the players? Have you seen some of the 'legends???' Don't worry, no need to go too far back. Mike Liberthal! 'Nuff said. lol
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    edited February 2020
    Given the way they are dispersing LXP this year or lack there of, thats really the only route they could go.   So i think in that sense its tough to compare PXP 10-20 points lower vs LXP on par because 2018 and 2019 are just vastly different in terms of resource availability.
  • 1994EXPOS1994EXPOS Registered Users, Member 149 Posts
    edited February 2020
    They just don’t make my roster anymore even as a bench guy. I like that they take pxp but the trade off is they aren’t really usable anymore. They were arguably my favorite players last year even though they took lxp. Bonus sets and decreased overall rating has rendered them basically useless unless they are part of the big set, which more often than not they aren’t. 

While I agree for most of the LLs released this year, I really like the latest few like my 540 Blackmon (hitting .820 vs .821 for my 560 Mathews for example) and this week's Realmuto. Thought Betts was not bad too even though I didn't level him because he's basically the same as my 540 Chet Lemon. I didn't bother chasing/leveling LLs with WoH oriented skills as I have better Legend options.
    Given the way they are dispersing LXP this year or lack there of, thats really the only route they could go.   So i think in that sense its tough to compare PXP 10-20 points lower vs LXP on par because 2018 and 2019 are just vastly different in terms of resource availability.
    Great point. I see them as bonus points for the better teams and helps other get up to speed. They may not be at the curve, but they can definitely compete. 
  • jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    1994EXPOS said:

While I agree for most of the LLs released this year, I really like the latest few like my 540 Blackmon (hitting .820 vs .821 for my 560 Mathews for example) and this week's Realmuto. Thought Betts was not bad too even though I didn't level him because he's basically the same as my 540 Chet Lemon. I didn't bother chasing/leveling LLs with WoH oriented skills as I have better Legend options.
    That’s why I said my team. I think they are good especially Blackmon, but when I have 560-580 legends and ATG they end up not playing. Blackmon is great for most game modes but probably not beating the top guys in WOH. 
  • Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    edited February 2020
    Fwiw, I am loving the LL Realmuto.  He is raking for me, even at only G10 with 8/8 skills.

Edit: he would maybe be a legit keeper consideration, if he wasn't 50 points off what we think will be the final max.
  • 1994EXPOS1994EXPOS Registered Users, Member 149 Posts
    1994EXPOS said:

That’s why I said my team. I think they are good especially Blackmon, but when I have 560-580 legends and ATG they end up not playing. Blackmon is great for most game modes but probably not beating the top guys in WOH. 

Oh yeah, I was just talking about my team too. Blackmon gets subbed for Griffey for WoH, and Realmuto will be subbed too. My WoH lineup is set so I really like those LLs as cheap options to improve my non-WoH lineup.

Hell I've even made 490 prime Josh Bell (vsRHP/Blowout) from 3 weeks or so ago my starting 1B and he's hitting .793 (huge improvement over my 530 Buckner). I know most people are down on prime players but when they have optimal skills they can be a very nice alternative for Diamond teams with limited LXP funds.
  • JTANDMEJTANDME Registered Users, Member 767 Posts
    Why is Kerry Wood NOT a LL is what I would like to know. It doesn't make sense except if you think of the LL as ACTIVE legends. All of them that have been released so far as still active correct?
  • CrumbsCrumbs Registered Users, Member 8 Posts
    JTANDME said:
    Why is Kerry Wood NOT a LL is what I would like to know. It doesn't make sense except if you think of the LL as ACTIVE legends. All of them that have been released so far as still active correct?
    I see what you’re saying.... Correct, they are current players 
  • teddyballgamesteddyballgames Registered Users, Member 2 Posts
    Where is the living legend Brock Holt?
  • mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    Bored.. time to ramble.
    It’s just such a different game this year obviously geared towards being more profitable than the previous year... and I’m sure 20 will be no different. I think glu’s thinking is if LL’s were top current overall players it would dilute things and there would be to many 580 options. 🤷🏻‍♂️ They want the whales to have something to chase (580s) while appealing to average player at the same time LL 560s cheaper boxes better odds. Unfortunately 560s are mostly useless even for the average player. Same with woh which has been completely useless for my team nearly all year. Personally I miss the LL’s being top players because I enjoy having a mike trout or mookie on my team etc.  And another thing if LLs were top players it would help combat the repetitive “legends” being released we would have more options.

Side note:  in 18 I remember the weekend when dbl skill Salvador Perez was released chasing and pulling him. It was fun weekend! I think he was a bxp 480? But definitely a top player. BEAST. Anyway..
    19 has been a fun year but not near as many fun moments as 18. 😕 
  • WackGoneLocoWackGoneLoco Registered Users, Member 95 Posts
    I’m hoping for one more switch hitting great skill combo Living Legend... only was was Lindor.
  • TyroneEastwoodTyroneEastwood Registered Users, Member 424 Posts
    I have no problem with LL's tbh. Rendon and Realmuto are complete monsters. Yadi has been my dude for babe for a while now.  Only issues I have are the continuous skill f.uckings. But that's most players in the game, so I cant specifically point that at just living legends
  • Horse42Horse42 Registered Users, Member 136 Posts
    I have no problem with LL's tbh. Rendon and Realmuto are complete monsters. Yadi has been my dude for babe for a while now. 
    Agreed @TyroneEastwood. My 520 LL Rendon and 550 LL Realmuto (both with double blowout skills) have two of the highest batting averages on my team and they outperform all but 1 of my ATGs and 580 players. The LL Verlander has also been a shutout/perfect game beast. I’ve liked the Mon-Thurs LL players the best since they are guaranteed bonus players across 4 events.