Spending gold

yellahammersyellahammers Registered Users, Member 13 Posts
I’m just curious what others are spending their gold on at this point in the game. What are you finding success with as far as building your teams?

Comments

• LonzoBallinLonzoBallin Registered Users, Member 637 Posts
    Maybe not the answer you want to hear, but my plan is to hoard until better players are released.  The players you receive today will be obsolete a few months from now, so my plan is to hoard gold and pick up long-term players through fan rewards later on in the season.  Last year I completed 30k fan rewards probably half a dozen or more times and picked up some killer players in the process.
    Proud TSB VIP!
  • JdotChristopherJdotChristopher Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    I’m not upgrading as many players and sticking to my guns when I get a 4-5 star with good hitting power for all positions.  Definitely being more calculated with spending gold, XP and cash.  Be sure to make solid decisions when upgrading and don’t forget to put some major focus on your sluggers.  Slugfest is always fun earlier in the season.  
  • ReadingFightingPhilsReadingFightingPhils Registered Users, Member 305 Posts
    Usually the difference between the haves and have nots is being able to cycle.  I think it is clearly the best way to stockpile talent and resources.  After looking at what we have to start with, I think it may be easier at the start to cycle slugfest than WOH.  I have been using initial gold to draft sluggers.  I use the slugger to win home run battles to get cash.  I use the cash for the various upgrades.  Player boxes just aren't that tempting for me yet.  *Unless they release a phillies box, at which point I loose my mind and spend all of my gold.
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    Filled out my sluggers to at least 4-star plus at b10, hoping to cycle Slugfest this week. I did buy some boxes this weekend to get JBJ. First bonus level after him was 10k xp which was nice to get too. In doing so I only ended up with Tanaka but I'll take it as pitching is always hardest for me to fill out with 5 star players.

But like @LonzoBallin said I am looking to hoard as much gold as I can going forward to go with the stash of xp and evo I have begun to accumulate.
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Right now, I'm much more focused on derby than any other aspect of the game. It's definitely a grind, but the cash and gloves definitely help a ton. 
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • ZaneJ78ZaneJ78 Registered Users, Member 369 Posts

Slugfest? I havent spent anything on my sluggers. Never cycled slugfest in 18

Need more Living Legends!
    @zandrasa Yes, slugfest. It's how my team was built last year. It was basically killed off in the 2nd half of last year, but right now, I see it as a great investment. 
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    Lets hope they just scratch the whole idea, I hate slugfest @DFBB ;)
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
    I agree not a huge fan of it either
  • HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    DFBB said:
    Right now, I'm much more focused on derby than any other aspect of the game. It's definitely a grind, but the cash and gloves definitely help a ton. 
    Yeah I noticed you are working on your sluggers. Went up against you twice in cash battlers over the weekend. LOST BOTH :angry: . But my own fault for getting too excited thinking to myself "IMA GONNA ANNIHILATE THIS GUY" which leads to me pre-clicking before the pitch is thrown (kinda like revving your engine at a traffic light at the Celica next to you) . The next time I see you I'm gonna be like "MEH, THIS GUY AGAIN?" and then MAYBE I'll beat you. :expressionless::tongue:
    "Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

To get back on the topic though, potw boxes should drop this week. If they're similar to last year, they will continue to offer the best value and that's where I'd spend. Great odds at a five star player who will get reboosted if they win again.
    DFBB said:
    To get back on the topic though, potw boxes should drop this week. If they're similar to last year, they will continue to offer the best value and that's where I'd spend. Great odds at a five star player who will get reboosted if they win again.

I sure hope this is true. That's where I plan on spending what I have accumulated this weekend.
  • HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    DFBB said:
    That will probably be how I'll cycle WOH once I get into it this year. Decided to chill till about June/July and just focus on Slugfest and probably stay silver till then. One or two POTW/POTM along with my keepers and custom legend should give me a good shot then. So I am afraid the 5.7-5.10 WOH pitcher notices will be all you guys/gals this year.
    "Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

• BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    I dropped 4K on slugger picks this morning to get to level 2 on the stadium. I’ll probably be done spending there if I can cycle it here soon 
    POMS are definitely the way to go, but we will have to wait till next month for those. I always try and save up and hopefully try and grab at-least 1 hitter and 1 SP for the month. POWs depending on  their max will be an issue, if they are only 300s like the FR players then it wont be worth it unless you want them for Tuesday and Thursday events.
    – The Great Houmy
  • ChiiChii Registered Users, Member 112 Posts
    DFBB said:

Think they'll release boxes today?
    Once MLB announces POWs, probably a few hours.
    – The Great Houmy
    @Chii They should be released this evening or early tomorrow, prior to the event. 

@DFBB who do you think its going to be?

NL - Yelich?

AL - Khris Davis?

• yellahammersyellahammers Registered Users, Member 13 Posts
    Thanks for all the responses everyone. That is helpful!
  • SakaV2SakaV2 Registered Users, Member 124 Posts
    Potw is Beckham and Yelich...Yelich for sure will be POTW again in the future so he's worth trying to snag 
  • JdotChristopherJdotChristopher Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    I’m ready for 22 versions of Yelich!  LETS GOOO!!
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    I’m ready for 22 versions of Yelich!  LETS GOOO!!
    I think we're on our 4th version of Harper already after this box they have coming today (you can see it in CvC rewards).
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    This is a fair question.   I bought some slugger picks and feel like im ok there now.   Other then that its not much and you'd be better off just saving
  • ChiiChii Registered Users, Member 112 Posts
    SakaV2 said:
    Potw is Beckham and Yelich...Yelich for sure will be POTW again in the future so he's worth trying to snag 
    Pulled Yelich this morning.