Losing Interest

DeuceDeuce Registered Users, Member 61 Posts
First, let me say that GLU has done a lot to keep guys playing this year. Better deals earlier in the season, keepers, etc. But I'm quickly losing interest, especially in prime event and bonus games, which accounts for HALF of the game. I'm silver and I have a 5* team (with several specialty players), and I'm consistently losing to teams 20k strength below me. Yes, team upgrades are maxed. I'm at 1200 games or so, which shouldn't be enough to "sandbag" me.

If GLU is going to sandbag, why not match me against teams that it makes sense to lose to? It just makes me not want to play the game when I consistently lose to teams that I should logically be beating. When you lose the 2nd game of a streak multiple times, you just don't want to play. Idk. Just ranting.

Anyone else finding that this is an issue?

Comments

• dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    YES
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    edited April 2019
    I believe team strength is relative to the tier you are on. So while sometimes you find yourself with a 5-10k advantage in team strength, that other team may be silver and you're bronze (or other team is gold and you're silver, etc.) which means that team is much stronger than yours since they are a tier above you.

However, this:

First, let me say that GLU has done a lot to keep guys playing this year. Better deals earlier in the season, keepers, etc.

Man, I don't know about that. I don't see any better deals. The mountain of gold specials have been $80 and $90 instead of the $70 that was consistently available in 18. You're only getting 9 boxes instead of 10 in those Sunday box bundles. That's just a couple of examples. Also, the keepers was something that was a great idea and was pushed by a bunch of folks who have legitimate pull with Glu (VIP council members, etc) and Glu took their idea and instead of giving us something great that we all asked for, they took that idea and morphed it into another big money grab with the 5x cost of leveling them. It's a slap in the face imo.

Sorry for the side-rant, but yeah, there's a whole lot of things I'm not too happy about. I'll keep playing for now, but I do feel like we're moving backwards. So I guess we can agree on that, but just not for the same reason(s). 
  • DeuceDeuce Registered Users, Member 61 Posts
    @JEDDDOGGY I agree that they haven't done MUCH to help us out, but they've made small attempts. As for the deals, I just meant they're pushing the better deals from 2018 earlier in the season this year. I think they ran 15k gold for $99.99 this weekend. Granted, I'm still not buying, but at least they aren't waiting until the end of the year to offer those deals. And they've added 2x gold earlier in the year this year (I don't remember them doing it this early last year).
    I still think the team strength issue is ridiculous. It's literally there to give you an idea of your chances. Even if the team is diamond tier, the team strength was specifically added to show you how you can expect to perform against the other team. It makes no sense that we're losing to teams 20k below us, regardless of tier. If that's how the game is going to be run, to hell with team strength. It has no relevance.
    But you made all valid points.
  • SandpipersSandpipers Registered Users, Member 1,327 Posts
    We shouldn’t be “forced” to go silver 10 days into the season, just to improve our chances at winning some prime games.... seriously? Prime games? Season mode is a joke too. To me, the 5* players for the most part hit and throw like 3* from previous seasons...unless a miracle homer happens with 2 out and 2 strikes to tie it up and then of course go into extra innings a couple times until you lose. How many times has woh had the difficulty reduced, including today again? I’m not even ranting right now, because I’m bored. I’ve been bored since the beta was released but have been hanging on hoping they’d get it together. There’s really nothing new about 19 except for problems, and I often find myself going back to 18 to play, because despite it’s issues, 18 is a joy to play compared to this mess. I’ve seen posts where guys have said the opposite to me here and say “yeah there’s some issues but that’s to be expected”.... why is it to be expected? How long have they been in business with this app? Used to be when a company put a product or service on the market, customers expected it to work lol. Now we expect it to have issues? My POV is from a bygone era I guess.
    It's all done with mirrors
  • ChiiChii Registered Users, Member 112 Posts
    Deuce said:
    First, let me say that GLU has done a lot to keep guys playing this year. Better deals earlier in the season, keepers, etc. But I'm quickly losing interest, especially in prime event and bonus games, which accounts for HALF of the game. I'm silver and I have a 5* team (with several specialty players), and I'm consistently losing to teams 20k strength below me. Yes, team upgrades are maxed. I'm at 1200 games or so, which shouldn't be enough to "sandbag" me.

If GLU is going to sandbag, why not match me against teams that it makes sense to lose to? It just makes me not want to play the game when I consistently lose to teams that I should logically be beating. When you lose the 2nd game of a streak multiple times, you just don't want to play. Idk. Just ranting.

Same here. 
  • JdotChristopherJdotChristopher Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    edited April 2019
    Didn’t wanna quote a specific person bc all the points made are legit.  Glu has offered better overall players earlier in the specials tab and a couple added bonuses like the all star tickets and 5 tool box (both solid).  But it seems like they’re offering better players sooner and more options to get better right away so they can push everyone to level up and spend quicker which is bs in my opinion.  I love to grind it out and slow play for resources before I go crazy to level up to silver or gold.  Now it’s basically forcing everyone or else the game will be overwhelming to succeed in.  So I can relate to all these points of the game becoming not as fun to play.  I’m just gonna tough it out and hopefully not take too many L’s in the process since Glu wants me to lose or spend money to win!  No other options!  Keep your heads up guys!
  • lpoheronlpoheron Registered Users, Member 170 Posts
    I always looked forward to the potw boxes. Feels nice pulling a "top guy" even at 50% odds. But i know i wont be to involved for a while after blowing 3300 gold for xp and bonus games. 
  • sworkman3sworkman3 Registered Users, Member 73 Posts
    Deuce said:

Yes I'm having the same exact thing happen to me. I dont mind losing to a better team. But to lose to teams that dont even matchup is ridiculous. Experiencing the same thing on season mode too..

• HaraycarayHaraycaray Registered Users, Member 910 Posts
    Better players don’t matter if walk off is f*^&ing unbeatable. Dumb. 
  • JdotChristopherJdotChristopher Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    edited April 2019
    Better players don’t matter if walk off is f*^&ing unbeatable. Dumb. 
    Amen to that.  No way in hell am I going to spend $30 to get another player that’s still going to need to be boosted on level 4 and 5...And then still ending up with the wet noodle bat lol screw that!  Glu’s response to the difficulty being too hard was upgrade your players and obtain players with skills 😂 So I need to spend more money to maybe cycle!?  Great advice.  Customer service always has me dying, I swear.  
  • SandpipersSandpipers Registered Users, Member 1,327 Posts
    Something else I’ve noticed... some of the latest top players are lower rated than Blackmon from the first week...was that 19 box full of extra special? Yelich from last week’s woh reward isn’t doing so well...Albies from this past weekend... both lower rated... Trout today is lower...btw potw trout once the boost goes will be basically the same rating as 5* trout I pulled a few days ago from a draft pick... so kinda makes you wonder why we’d chase guys in woh that are worse than what we may already have, especially this early in the season...just sayin
    It's all done with mirrors
  • bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    Something else I’ve noticed... some of the latest top players are lower rated than Blackmon from the first week...was that 19 box full of extra special? Yelich from last week’s woh reward isn’t doing so well...Albies from this past weekend... both lower rated... Trout today is lower...btw potw trout once the boost goes will be basically the same rating as 5* trout I pulled a few days ago from a draft pick... so kinda makes you wonder why we’d chase guys in woh that are worse than what we may already have, especially this early in the season...just sayin
    Blackmon was the weekends best....acuna had that spot this week, rated 5 points higher than Blackmon.  WOH players are usually good but not the absolute leading edge....gotta pay box money to get those.  
    We shouldn’t be “forced” to go silver 10 days into the season, just to improve our chances at winning some prime games.... seriously? Prime games? Season mode is a joke too. To me, the 5* players for the most part hit and throw like 3* from previous seasons...unless a miracle homer happens with 2 out and 2 strikes to tie it up and then of course go into extra innings a couple times until you lose. How many times has woh had the difficulty reduced, including today again? I’m not even ranting right now, because I’m bored. I’ve been bored since the beta was released but have been hanging on hoping they’d get it together. There’s really nothing new about 19 except for problems, and I often find myself going back to 18 to play, because despite it’s issues, 18 is a joy to play compared to this mess. I’ve seen posts where guys have said the opposite to me here and say “yeah there’s some issues but that’s to be expected”.... why is it to be expected? How long have they been in business with this app? Used to be when a company put a product or service on the market, customers expected it to work lol. Now we expect it to have issues? My POV is from a bygone era I guess.
    Don't get me started on Season mode. I won two Seasons earlier in the year. Just got to quarterfinals and outranked the opponent by a good 10k. Had my keeper pitching, which is better than any 5* available right now and lost 2 in a row by 10 runs. I haven't played a single season game in over a week because of it. As far as I'm concerned, season mode is dead until they make it worth the time it takes to get to the finals. Why would I spend weeks getting to the playoffs, when I lose in the quarterfinals to teams that I outrank by over 10k? Doesn't make any sense. The game just doesn't make sense. We have 9-10 solid months left and there is nothing in the game that makes me really want to play except WOH, and absolutely nothing that makes me want to spend any money.
    P.S. why the he!! don't stats matter? There is NO reason why my Silver Keeper Boggs (capped with skills at 5) should have any trouble beating Baez at 4.6. That BLOWS MY MIND. I understand WOH will be difficult, but STATS SHOULD MATTER. The algorithm shouldn't be set to dish out a win or loss. It should be set to evaluate the stats of the matchup and give us a real chance.
    Think about it. IF STATS DON'T MATTER, WHY THE HELL ARE WE BUYING BETTER PLAYERS TO BUILD OUR TEAMS? If the outcome/pitches are predetermined going into the match, it doesn't matter how solid the hitter is.

OK, rant over :D
  • J12997967J12997967 Registered Users 22 Posts
    Deuce said:
    P.S. why the he!! don't stats matter? There is NO reason why my Silver Keeper Boggs (capped with skills at 5) should have any trouble beating Baez at 4.6. That BLOWS MY MIND. I understand WOH will be difficult, but STATS SHOULD MATTER. The algorithm shouldn't be set to dish out a win or loss. It should be set to evaluate the stats of the matchup and give us a real chance.
    Think about it. IF STATS DON'T MATTER, WHY THE HELL ARE WE BUYING BETTER PLAYERS TO BUILD OUR TEAMS? If the outcome/pitches are predetermined going into the match, it doesn't matter how solid the hitter is.

I'm a long-time player, but new to the forums, so apologies if this has been asked and answered somewhere else, but I've always wondered if Glu's algorithms factor in our players' batting averages along with the hit and power ratings?

In other words, if Players A and B both pull a 5 star Trout, but Player A is a better hitter and his Trout carries a .400 avg, while Player B is still figuring things out and his Trout is only batting .275, would that difference be reflected in different success levels in autoplay scenarios against the same opponents?
    @J12997967 I don't know how GLU sets up their algorithms, but it's certainly not based on stats.
  • fahhq2fahhq2 Registered Users, Member 850 Posts
    Deuce said:

Ur starting to get it. I have experience all the above-from B.S. season losses to WoH unexplained failures to prime streaks lasting only 3 games. Originally I blamed my subpar performance on my expectations from TSB18. After months of crushing the above mentioned modes in 18, I thought maybe I was just used to success and forgot about the grinding it took to get my team to overcome. However, after reading this thread it has become apparent that we’ve been Glu’d on TSB19. I empathize with these stories because I’ve suffered all the same nonsense. The only shining light is the once dead Slugfest. It has returned to a relevant means of resources and is really the only aspect of 19 that the user controls...at least this has been my experience. I’ve returned to 18 pretty aggressively and am pleased to say that my once jailed team has been granted a pardon and I am again free to score ridiculous points for my club, read and post on global and enjoy the team I faithfully built up rather than abandon it for something shiny and new, but far less attractive!
    #returnto18