Update on Android causing Game Lag/freeze/blank screen

LETMEPLAY16LETMEPLAY16 Registered Users, Member 31 Posts
Since the last update on Android (to v1.03, I believe) I have been experiencing huge delays whilst trying to play the game:
The initial game start up - on the "Tap Sports Baseball 2019" screen, before the Mookie loading screen - it hangs for up to 3 minutes before switching to the loading screen. The game then seems to run fine until:
1: A Special Purchase promo pops up (regardless of whether I buy or not) - 15-45 second frozen screen
2: Watching any video (for extra prime energy, game boosts, replays, just gold, etc.) - 15-45 second frozen screen
3: Switching to a different app and back again - 15-90 second blank screen
4: Exiting the Customer Care message screen - 15-45 second blank screen

To be clear, none of the above freezes my phone, just the app.
I'm running the game on a Pixel 2XL with 4gb RAM and 34gb+ free space, running on Android 9

Any help or suggestions appreciated! (or if you are experiencing similar issues, let us know - SURELY I'm not the only one?!)

Comments

• LETMEPLAY16LETMEPLAY16 Registered Users, Member 31 Posts
    5 minute (at least) lead time needed to get both video boosts on CVC
    This is getting unplayable
  • J12997967J12997967 Registered Users 22 Posts
    Letmeplay16, I'm not sure what happened to the post I wrote yesterday, but I'm having the same problem, though my delays aren't quite as long (~45 secs to Mookie/10%, and another ~30 secs to main screen; 25 to 60 secs to do anything after watching video, etc.)

I see we're running the same hardware.

I'm fairly certain my Pixel 2 XL received an Android update around the time things went south.  I can't say when/if I received a TSB update then or not.

I've opened ingame support tickets, but haven't heard anything beyond the standard "they're always working to improve things" boilerplate.  Have you received any contact?
    PS:  I also play on my old Note5 and, so far, haven't found any issues there.  I'm beginning to wonder if we're the first to encounter an issue with an OS upgrade that others aren't seeing because of the delay for updates to other hardware?
    I opened a web portal ticket, as well as an in game one - the web portal replies seem less generic, but it still didn't help me out (see below for their suggestion - maybe it'll work for you?)
    I remember an Android update, and I thought that might be the cause too, but then someone mentioned they have the same on Android 8.1 - plus my other apps are unaffected.

Here's their web portal reply:

Thank you for writing in. I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with the game.

Let me give you the troubleshooting steps that can boost the game's performance on your device. Please follow the instructions below:

1. Your device must have more than 5 GB free internal storage space and 2 GB available RAM. You may want to disable, delete or remove apps you don't often use.
    2. I suggest that you use Wi-Fi to connect on the internet instead of Mobile Data. If possible, please turn off and then turn on your router or modem. After that, make sure no one is downloading files or streaming videos, and you're not on public Wi-Fi. Feel free to test your network connection's Latency and Speed if they are stable by visiting this link: http://www.speedtest.net/
    3. If you're using any proxies, VPNs, or such similar programs which allow you to be anonymous, you must disable them.
    4. Turn off your device, wait for 3-5 mins, and turn it on.
    5. Activate the Airplane mode of your device for 1 min and then disable it.
    6. Close all the recent apps and make sure that there are no running background tasks.
    7. Kindly launch the game and check if it works.

As a friendly reminder, it may take you multiple tries of troubleshooting to get success.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,
    Rev
    Glu Mobile Customer Care

J12997967 said:
    PS:  I also play on my old Note5 and, so far, haven't found any issues there.  I'm beginning to wonder if we're the first to encounter an issue with an OS upgrade that others aren't seeing because of the delay for updates to other hardware?
    Possibly, if that's the case, I'd like to NOT be a guinea pig anymore - The app software they have should be able to test across all OS versions - I guess what they fixed was more important than these issues
    Thanks for passing along their advice (I've never played on a phone that had anywhere near those available resources;  if the game really required them, few could or would play it).

But it does get me to thinking:  do you have the developer options enabled and have you changed any settings?  For example, I remember changing the animation settings to none to enhance performance some weeks or months ago, and there might have been a few other settings I tinkered with at some point.
    Only increasing bluetooth connections - I tried forcing the graphics accelerator, but that was after this issue, and it didn't help, so I turned it back off
    An update:  things seem to have gotten WORSE for me after clearing the app's cache.

BEFORE clearing cache, it was consistently taking about ~45 secs to get to the Mookie/10% screen and another ~30 secs to the main screen.

AFTER clearing cache:  it's taking TWO minutes to get to the Mookie/10% screen and another 30 secs to get to the main screen.

JFC, Glu.
    The first time I returned from watching a video, it gave me the "Loading videos" msg instead of just putting up the View Offers/Video screen.  I remember seeing that screen in the early days of TSB19, but that was the first time I've seen that screen since all of this crap started and I haven't seen it since.
    Sounds like you're catching me up - Honestly, it makes the game close to unplayable
    And the special purchase pop ups have gone crazy today - another 30-60 second freeze
    There's an update coming soon - via the News tab
    Apparently fixing a lot of issues, no mention of video/game freezes but fingers crossed
    OK - It looks like an uninstall/reinstall is needed - I've just done it and it appears to have worked - much more responsive.
    Here's a thread on here of others that have tried it too: https://communities.glu.com/tap-sports-baseball-2019/discussion/5450330/how-many-reinstalls-do-i-get#latest
    Make sure your account is linked, don't play any games until you relink your old account (I took screenshots of everything before I installed again - but I didn't lose anything) 
    You'll need to restart after you link your account for the videos for gold to work

Also, a VIP from my club got a message from Customer Service saying the same thing
    Thanks.

I'd actually read that discussion and posted a question:  my game says it's linked to the new gmail account I created for it, but I don't see any emails with a backup in it.  Are there actual backup files sent to the inbox, or is it just an administrative thing that you have to have before Glu will let you restore from their servers?
    I didn't receive an email either - as long as you're linked you can log in (your email is your username - and you'll need to dig your password out of your memory)
    When you reinstall, it starts as if you're a new player - go to settings, then link email, then log in to existing account
    Thanks a lot!  I'm getting pretty desperate to fix this.
    No worries - the game plays a lot better without the ridiculous delays lol
    Don't know how long it'll last, but I'm back to normal for now.  Thanks again.
    (One thing I'm NOT doing is loading the ballpark they keep asking me to.)
    Absolutely! Keep it clutter free. Though, I'm starting to see the delay creep back in now - I'm thinking this is going to be a daily thing until they fix it
  • indiansfan79indiansfan79 Registered Users, Member 3 Posts
    I'm getting the same thing as letmeplay16 wrote couldn't of explained it any better. I do uninstall the app and reinstall it and does run smoothly but only for so long. In the same day it starts acting up again. I did write support about the issue and said for me to close out apps that are running in the background which is BS bc this is a brand new phone and I only have about 3 apps at the most on my phone. It's the Moto z3 phone is what I have. And yeah they told me NOT TO UNINSTALL the app. If you uninstall the app so many times and I have to log back into my account sometimes they'll lock you out. They act like this is our problem not theirs. 
    I'm on my second reinstall - I'm thinking it's a once a day thing.
    Hopefully they are relaxing the ban on multiple reinstalls, as they know this is a problem
  • indiansfan79indiansfan79 Registered Users, Member 3 Posts
    I'm about to do another reinstall but I think it's random when you get locked out. It's acting up again now and with the double gold videos I need the videos to run smoothly. These forums I think are pointless to get help from support. They don't sit back and read these posts
    indeed, but it's a good place to find solutions from other players
  • Tylerman31Tylerman31 Registered Users, Member 17 Posts
    I have had the same problem with my Note 5. It is unplayable right now and I do not think I'm going to play until they fix it. I have better things to do than wait 5 minutes before a game loads lol
  • AccelmanAccelman Registered Users, Member 65 Posts
    FYI, I'm having EXACTLY these same problems on my phone. Motorola G5 plus, 4GB ram, 64GB storage, w/ Android 8.1. Game is basically unplayable, esp. when trying to do anything with gold. I've accidently spent significant gold just because I click on something, only to have it be a frozen screen, but 30 secs. later it unfreezes and clicks on a purchase. LOL. What a mess.