Glu is forcing us to level up ! Another solution though..

Comments

• BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    JEDDDOGGY said:
    @Bigpredfan yes, and you can put another big nasty looking dent in WOH with the fact that they're offering a lot of very good players for $29 seemingly every weekend. It seems cheaper and more feasible to just buy those guaranteed players than it is to buy a mountain of gold for $100 and go 0-fer on boxes.

Compare the Contreras, Vlad Jr and so on that they've offered as specials to the Grandal or Snell that was offered as WOH prize in the last week. Would you rather grind WOH for 12 hours and probably spend $30 of gold anyway, or would you just give them the $30 up front and get a better player without the headache?
    Exactly my thinking. And with diamond not requiring gold to level up, it might be more feasible. 

I am in a club by myself and have been all year. I plan on moving up to keep the gloves and balls coming in for the club. I’m half way through silver and lacking gloves, but I have bonus games just sitting there.  So I’ll keep moving up and keep the gloves coming and the balls that comes from constantly upgrading my players and team upgrades. 

Here is me today so far. 80 wins in less than 30 minutes. Easy greasy. 

• dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    I think this all pretty obvious at this point, some of us have been saying it since we capped in bronze or struggled in season mode. The discrepancies in matchups and outcomes, where team strength starting a game differed greatly once finished. Which btw, I do not see that when looking at team comparison since update. Another undocumented "fix" never put in release notes or change log. I will step away altogether if things continue down this path. I get that people throw money at this game and my team will always be behind but to have the developer suggesting I throw money at it too and things will change only to suffer the same fate after a hidden threshold is crossed in next tier? No thank you...
  • effschmoo2effschmoo2 Registered Users, Member 184 Posts
    It’s ridiculous that we should even consider “budgeting” games to not get bad matchups. I play this game probably way too much. But it’s fun for the most part and I enjoy streaking or blowing through 500 bonus games to put up a ton of points for the club in Thursdays. Matchups based on wins within your level seems like a good idea. But they don’t do that because glu wants to force us to level up to continue winning games, knowing that there is not nearly enough xp out there to level up a platinum or diamond team without spending a bunch of $. I play walkoff a bunch to mine xp but with new bonus players everyday I am still constantly xp poor from leveling those guys up for daily events. 
    This is my team. 4 of the last 5 teams I’ve faced today in bonus games have been 100k+ diamond teams. And I can’t win a season mode final with live boost 80g boost and my ace going in every playoff game. Hard times for a TSB addict. 
    It’s ridiculous that we should even consider “budgeting” games to not get bad matchups. 

I know its ridiculous, but this is my 4th version of this game now (I think), and I’ve learned from past mistakes. I budgeted last year early on for division games and it worked out pretty well. Plan on doing the same this year. 

If I can see a roadblock and know it’s there, I can complain about it and run into it claiming “that shouldn’t be there”, or I can avoid it. 
  • NYY 15'NYY 15' Registered Users, Member 23 Posts
    That's one of the things they've changed since 2018. Forcing you to level up was always there, but it seemed like the thresholds were a little bit more. They realized they can gouge you more by doing the following:
    • Force you to level up earlier. I, like you all, have experienced this. I was in Bronze playing Gold tier teams over 2x my team strength when I had 600 or so wins. Not just up a tier against silver, but up 2 against Gold. I was told to kick rocks by their "CS" team
    • But now that you're levelled up, it costs more gold and more exp to level up event specific boosted players. So they're trying to get you to spend more gold and more exp and more blue cash to level up players than you want to 
    • Note they started selling blue cash for real $$'s? That supports the notion they want to try to sap your cash reserves as well as gold
    • They have gone to extremes to try to create as many different boosted event players as possible during the week to make you: a) spend more gold than ever on boxes, and b) spend more gold and exp and evo and cash than ever to level them up so they can actually pitch/hit for their bonus points 
    • That is again supported by what I thought was the most obnoxious and rude offer of theirs to date, which was the 1200 gold box for a guaranteed 4.5 star player that was boosted for the day. There is zero chance you would ever use them again, but it is basically a 1200 gold fee to have a chance in the event that day
    There is no end to it. I spent to right about the VIP threshold last year (assuming $818 is really the number) and I refuse to spend more than the $4.99 purchase I made for 400 gold to get rid of the ads. They're not just milking everyone more this year, they're doing it and telling you to like it 
  • MadswagooMadswagoo Registered Users, Member 193 Posts
    Or let Glu destroy the game we are all here to have fun and play. I got 19 brothers who I chat with everyday. We laugh, bust each other’s chops, share life events... if it wasn’t for them I would have punted This app to the moon. 
    It’s an issue Glu!! Take care of it or we bounce.

Random Scroll on FB

It’s ridiculous that we should even consider “budgeting” games to not get bad matchups. 

I know its ridiculous, but this is my 4th version of this game now (I think), and I’ve learned from past mistakes. I budgeted last year early on for division games and it worked out pretty well. Plan on doing the same this year. 

If I can see a roadblock and know it’s there, I can complain about it and run into it claiming “that shouldn’t be there”, or I can avoid it. 
    I agree @bigpredfan.  I don’t think I have the willpower to slow down though. Won’t let glu force my hand either. If my phone is still in one piece and if I haven’t deleted the game by then, I’ll roll through plat and diamond when players are rated high enough to help my team for more than a couple weeks. 
  • redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    I’m winning about half of my games, earlier today it was closer to 90% but played a huge amount today because I have my club in position for a top 3 finish, I know I’m doomed soon to be in a position where I won’t be winning much.  I know they didn’t want us to sandbag for so long in silver and gold but seem to be taking a very heavy handed approach this season.  Moving to gold was one thing, platinum the first week of May is a bit too soon though.
  • harperphils34harperphils34 Registered Users, Member 9 Posts
    I've also noticed this year's version seems to be pushing people to level up more quickly. I don't know if they altered any of the settings or thresholds. Today, with bonus games, I started 0-11. My solution has been quite simple. I'm not planning on leveling up at all, at least not for awhile. I'm still in Bronze and plan on staying there for awhile longer. If that means I can't win Bonus Games, so what? 

As the season progresses, they're going to start increasing the player max. Top players right now are what? 320-330? By the All-Star Break, those maxes are going to be 370-380+. Once Primes and Legends come out, the top players today won't even be on most of our rosters. Why level up players today that are just going to get dumped in 6 weeks?

For those who've been paying close attention, Slugfest is still the best way to get XP, as long as you can get through the tower a few times. I'm sitting on over 150k Blue XP and 2M cash right now. Until My Legend is no longer in my Slugfest lineup, I'm not even thinking of going past Bronze. 

• SandpipersSandpipers Registered Users, Member 1,327 Posts
    Similar thinking to most of the comments, I’m staying silver until My Legend is at least no longer in my top 4-5 bats... then I’ll think about going gold. Until then it will be about hoarding as much resources as possible while still contributing effectively to the club. At some point during this time frame, bonus games will be dropped until I do go gold as I won’t be able to win anyway.
    It's all done with mirrors
    Similar thinking to most of the comments, I’m staying silver until My Legend is at least no longer in my top 4-5 bats... then I’ll think about going gold. Until then it will be about hoarding as much resources as possible while still contributing effectively to the club. At some point during this time frame, bonus games will be dropped until I do go gold as I won’t be able to win anyway.
    Good luck with that as the legend will progress with the game this year. He will always be one of your top bats most likely 
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    I've also noticed this year's version seems to be pushing people to level up more quickly. I don't know if they altered any of the settings or thresholds. Today, with bonus games, I started 0-11. My solution has been quite simple. I'm not planning on leveling up at all, at least not for awhile. I'm still in Bronze and plan on staying there for awhile longer. If that means I can't win Bonus Games, so what? 

As the season progresses, they're going to start increasing the player max. Top players right now are what? 320-330? By the All-Star Break, those maxes are going to be 370-380+. Once Primes and Legends come out, the top players today won't even be on most of our rosters. Why level up players today that are just going to get dumped in 6 weeks?

For those who've been paying close attention, Slugfest is still the best way to get XP, as long as you can get through the tower a few times. I'm sitting on over 150k Blue XP and 2M cash right now. Until My Legend is no longer in my Slugfest lineup, I'm not even thinking of going past Bronze. 

Your argument about leveling guys that won't be on our roster very long is something I hear often. It definitely makes a lot of sense, but there's a fun factor that has to be considered as well. Fwiw, in my experience, WoH in gold(and above) yields considerably more xp and cash than SF.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • SandpipersSandpipers Registered Users, Member 1,327 Posts
    edited May 2019
    Good luck with that as the legend will progress with the game this year. He will always be one of your top bats most likely 
    Oops, forgot... other than the cost mind you
    It's all done with mirrors
  • slafrance2slafrance2 Registered Users, Member 1,370 Posts
    This is what I just got into. I got beat up pretty bad. 

@DFBB There should be a fun factor involved in the decisions. Unfortunately, GLU has perfected the art of robbing a lot of the fun out of the game. 

If they actually wanted the game to be fun for the whole season for everyone, they wouldn't make it nearly impossible to win at the game after a few weeks of playing. There's no harm in them letting people beat Walk Off early in the season or letting guys put together consistent win streaks with Bronze level clubs. 

But they insist on seeing how much fun they can suck out of the game year after year to the point that people are actually deciding it's better to focus their efforts on one specific day and forget the rest. Let the hackers, cheaters, and fools waste their time chasing a couple extra draft picks and an ice pack. 
    edited May 2019
    WoH for me on both Monday and Wednesday turned out to be very easy at Gold.  I started Monday with my highest player at Gold 7, right now I have 15 players capped in Gold and one of my keepers to Gold 5.  Evo will be an issue and to be honest after this week that is the only thing I could point to as an issue pending how WoH gets reworked.  CvC exists now so there’s an avenue for gaining some prime exp and was how I gained much of it till exp boxes on Wednesday’s pretty much showered anyone who could cycle semi regularly with prime and legend exp.
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts

You're not wrong and now that I'm cycling WoH regularly and SF for a while I will most likely stick to same and not play those modes if I start losing. I'm capped at silver and saving to get skills thru bxp but I just can't pull the trigger for the reasons you describe; I won't think about these guys in a few weeks. CvC rewards today are helpful so there's that as well as WoH/SF.

But some real talk for a second: I don't like my hand being forced though and I think it's misleading the way specials in-app are displayed at times among other things. There's a vibe that Glu is trying to play me/us or taking advantage, at some level, of people's probable addiction in extreme cases with the excessive money and time that is put in. It's just a bit of a wake-up call really. Do I need to spend all this time doing something that will always end with the same result? No, I don't. And I won't.

You're not wrong and now that I'm cycling WoH regularly and SF for a while I will most likely stick to same and not play those modes if I start losing. I'm capped at silver and saving to get skills thru bxp but I just can't pull the trigger for the reasons you describe; I won't think about these guys in a few weeks. CvC rewards today are helpful so there's that as well as WoH/SF.

But some real talk for a second: I don't like my hand being forced though and I think it's misleading the way specials in-app are displayed at times among other things. There's a vibe that Glu is trying to play me/us or taking advantage, at some level, of people's probable addiction in extreme cases with the excessive money and time that is put in. It's just a bit of a wake-up call really. Do I need to spend all this time doing something that will always end with the same result? No, I don't. And I won't.
    That's where I'm at with the game to be honest. GLU isn't being an honest broker all the time on a lot of things. 

The way I maintain the fun factor and level of interest for me is to actually limit my gameplay. It's just dumb for me to get the same results over and over again no matter what. There's just no fun for me in losing 15 straight bonus games, 9 straight season games, 6 straight prime games, and hitting wet noodle pop-ups in Walk Off no matter how many capped 5 stars, specialty players, etc I have. 
    I’ll reiterate they’re being a bit heavy handed and quick with trying to funnel people upward through the levels, and they seem a bit too eager to monetize things as well.  While it’s entirely possible to play well and to enjoy decent success without spending any money at all (if it weren’t I would have been gone long ago, I’m not adverse to spending I just can’t with all the other things that are necessities and will likely over the course of the season if I’m still enjoying this game will spend about the price of an AAA game), there is a point where money will greatly increase your chances of success.  I believe these changes were made to thresholds when they sharply reduced what diamond would cost in terms of cash and exp while also removing gold from diamond levels as well.  It remains to be seen what effect it will have as overalls are slowly climbing (340 PotM some with 2 skills though the combinations are still poor, I pulled Bellinger with late innings and bases loaded, bases loaded doesn’t happen all that often even in WoH/CvC).
  • bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    Madswagoo said:
    Spend money, grind, build yourself a nice competitive team in Gold and get demolished by much better competition - all of whom are Platinum and Diamond. CS tells me its the amount of WINS you have that determines the factor of who you will face in Bonus Games, Tourney's etc. After showing CS multiple screenshots (alot) of the caliber teams (I'm talking teams that win VIP Tournaments) face during the events like yesterday's Royale - they say stay in the tier where your comfortable. 
    That is one solution, the other is to walk away from the game. What is the point in trying to compete. I would have better luck trying to nail Jello to a tree.Peace!!
    Sweet baby Jesus!!!  I’m depressed after reading this!!!!   LOL

Lighten up, it is apparent the new directive is to make players uncomfortable in their level after a couple of weeks there to push us on through to higher and more expensive levels.  Play how you want;  seems only bonus and orime games are affected.   
  • whammo911whammo911 Registered Users, Member 963 Posts
    Maybe it will even out after a while once people start getting frustrated and blast through to platinum and play more games. i keep saying I only want to play Woh and c vs c, but keep falling into playing all the time.  
  • iwishiwasbatmaniwishiwasbatman Registered Users, Member 22 Posts
    I’ve been been getting wrecked by players one level above me. Can’t string together any wins. 
  • midgetmulletmidgetmullet Registered Users, Member 273 Posts
    I guess I'm in the minority.  I think one of the flaws of the game is not rewarding players enough to move up levels.  The 2018 teams that were at lower tiers such as gold/platinum were killing WOH and CVC and it was a huge problem for most people who went to diamond.  I know we all love crushing the game early on, but it is also nice to build a team and try to get to higher levels.  Give us a reason to move up to diamond.  If someone stays in bronze for six months, I actually like that it is harder for them to win games.  I know we all want to have 100k teams in month one and be able to cycle 20x but it also takes a little of the fun away when your team is a juggernaut, you never lose, and you go undefeated in season mode.  
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    I guess my only way of combating this for now is to ignore season mode for a little bit.  At least until I am able to go platinum.  The rewards for winning a season arent necessarily huge anymore and just adds to the win total.  Plus this lets me swap teams for a live boost if needed.
  • midgetmulletmidgetmullet Registered Users, Member 273 Posts
    But then you wont get pennants.
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    But then you wont get pennants.
    What do pennants do again? :) In all seriousness, @Mattattack, myself, and a few others in our club have decided that pennants are overrated. We don't think they help in WoH and it's debatable if it helps anywhere other than team strength.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • benny100benny100 Registered Users, Member 757 Posts
    I agree with parking season mode for now. I stopped a couple weeks ago
    benny100 said:
    I agree with parking season mode for now. I stopped a couple weeks ago
    I’m 16 games from the end of my season, then playoffs and stopping. After going gold I won’t win the playoffs, so that’ll be that. 
  • lpoheronlpoheron Registered Users, Member 170 Posts
    Every time I am ready to go gold, i get lucky and pull a top guy I need that drains my xp and cash...but i will take that problem all day lol