WoH for 5-6-19: Tower talk, of course!

124Next

Comments

• newfynewfy Registered Users, Member 416 Posts
    I have been cycling for a month now and today I’m 0/5 against 5.10 in allstar. And can’t get through level 2 in HOF.  Definitely to hard I feel allstar should be same as before and HOF should basically be as allstar is today( struggle level 4 and 5). So today I get a big Ofer cycles and spent more gold then ever before in attempts.   Rrrrrr.  
  • benny100benny100 Registered Users, Member 757 Posts
    For all its challenges today, it has been a blast also. Clearing All Star and getting Hosmer to use on HOF has been a blast. 20 x points is insane. Only on lvl 4 of HOF and maybe won't even clear it, but pitchers throw faster in HOF and there is home runs and grand slams a plenty!

So far this year the 70 mph pitch has been GLU's defense -  great to see plenty of fast balls in the HOF tier
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    Beat HOF!!!

Surprisingly level 6 wasn’t hard at all except the last two guys. They were very difficult.
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    3x cycles and I'm going to chill now. If you capped your keepers and legend, it wasn't too bad. I spent 1300g, 160g, and 80g for each of the three cycles. First two were done by ML and the third was Ichiro. JT was money all day; crushing all leftys in his way. :)
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • likenightlikenight Registered Users, Member 471 Posts
    Can’t get past all star 2-7 with a 53k team. Smh
  • JTPASTORJTPASTOR Registered Users, Member 456 Posts
    Finally! Cycled AS and HOF. I thought AS wasn’t too bad but HOF was pretty crazy. As previous posts have pointed out 6 isn’t that bad thought until 9 & 10. I had to spend way too much gold to beat them. But it was an exciting WOH for a change and I really wanted Seager. Looking forward to the Monday version going forward!
  • likenightlikenight Registered Users, Member 471 Posts
    Can’t get past hof 2-5 either
  • Amused_79Amused_79 Registered Users 841 Posts
    What a waste. Spent more gold then I should trying to beat all star. Got to 5-10 with little problem. But 0-7 with 80g boost each time. Got 1HR each time and that was it. First time I have not cycled in a long time. I wasn’t even trying for hof. Very unfair Glu. And this is coming from a guy that’s been loyal player since the first version in 2014. Money spent all these years and even with all the frustrations over the years, this by far is the biggest. Smh. Just be fair. That’s all we ask. 
  • HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    edited May 2019
    Decided to finally give it a try after reading mixed reviews from everyone and I actually liked it (HOF mode). Started around 10PM EST and could only get to 4.10 but still managed to get tier 6 and will probably finish top 5 in my bracket. Now granted I probably spent more gold than it was worth just to get to 4.10 (around 1200) but this was more of an experiment to me so I did gold restarts to see how the difficulty would go up as i progressed.

I am sure a lot of those that are disappointed with it would not have had a problem with it if the tower was introduced from the get go when WOH was added in 17. After two years however the frustration is totally understandable but as I mentioned earlier today GLU will take our feedback into consideration and make adjustments. We'll have to wait and see how it goes next Monday. 

One thing I am certain of though is that if I get serious about HOF mode then I'll forgo season mode as that live boost is a life saver and you get more XP in HOF versus season mode and that is assuming you even win the finals.
    "Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

• Amused_79Amused_79 Registered Users 841 Posts
    Houmy said:
    Decided to finally give it a try after reading mixed reviews from everyone and I actually liked it (HOF mode). Started around 10PM EST and could only get to 4.10 but still managed to get tier 6 and will probably finish top 5 in my bracket. Now granted I probably spent more gold than it was worth just to get to 4.10 (around 1200) but this was more of an experiment to me so I did gold restarts to see how the difficulty would go up as i progressed.

I am sure a lot of those that are disappointed with it would not have had a problem with it if the tower was introduced from the get go when WOH was added in 17. After two years however the frustration is totally understandable but as I mentioned earlier today GLU will take our feedback into consideration and make adjustments. We'll have to wait and see how it goes next Monday. 

One thing I am certain of though is that if I get serious about HOF mode then I'll forgo season mode as that live boost is a life saver and you get more XP in HOF versus season mode and that is assuming you even win the finals.
    I agree with you on most parts. I think that if you had 3 tiers. 1 “easy” for those that are still growing and need a way to cycle to build resources. Gives them a chance to move up and compete. 2nd tier the “normal” WOH. Those average to above average players that want the status quo. Try to cycle to get that player that will improve their decent to better team. And an “advanced” tier for the top 5-10% that have put a lot of resources and time into it. Obviously a better reward and tougher go of it. But you know what you are signing up for going for this tier. I think what was lost on this first WOH tier mode was just have an average tier. I feel a good 70% fall into this mode. A 10% or so fall in the below and above category. Hopefully, they take our feed back and make changes. 
  • soxfansoxfan Registered Users, Member 164 Posts
    Well, that was a bit challenging, but finally got past Cole in all star. No luck with nola in hof 4.10. Would like to see all star adjusted either by prize or difficulty. As for HOF, seemed a bit out of my range. Fun to try though.
  • JahCoozieJahCoozie Registered Users, Member 114 Posts
    Today, I felt inadequate, and my gold bank wasn’t as deep as I wanted it to be, and I’m sorta glad bc I still wouldn’t have gotten very far! And forget about not swinging at the curve, they just followed up with more curves.  Great concept though! 
  • whammo911whammo911 Registered Users, Member 963 Posts
    Beat allstar and HOF, seager and hosmer will help with how many righties they threw at us. Had a tougher time with allstar, thought my batters played better smacking homeruns and doubles in hof, allstar just got ridiculous with double plays which I didn’t mind, cause it let me get more points with Seager...but it definitely took allot of patience.
  • navyjack77navyjack77 Registered Users, Member 1,299 Posts
    I liked the different levels today for the most part. This was my first WOH in gold and got through All Star with about an hour left. Hosmer will be an upgrade to my Goldy at 1B once I get him leveled up. I have my hitting, trainer, and clutch at 52/60 so maybe it will be easier next week after getting them to 60/60. POTM Lowe is at Gold 10 and did great against righties. I ended up using about 2000 gold at 5.10 with boosts and restarts, but it was worth it IMO. Had fun today.
  • whammo911whammo911 Registered Users, Member 963 Posts
    So now that we got a taste of the woh tower event, how can they make it better? I probably would have gone for a second cycle but pulling a 5star specialty was a little disappointing but I was still happy with the achievement of beating the first 6 level woh. Don’t see that feeling lasting through next week, unless it’s a prime only pick or a box with a a chance for a prime.
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    6 levels is a bit excessive just from a time perspective.  Especially given it’s not wise to sim most of the levels.  However from a difficulty stand point it was just right.  It was tough and challenging at times but doable with a capped team in gold including keepers and the legend.   Although it wasn’t a great resource day, I enjoyed something different 
  • ZaneJ78ZaneJ78 Registered Users, Member 369 Posts
    It may not have been a massive success but at least they tried something different. I struggled mightily but it was still somewhat enjoyable. 
    Need more Living Legends!
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
     If veteran is going to remain (which is same difficulty WoH has been) they have to include a player I would think or reduce all-star cost and difficulty to more closely match veteran, even if it's like Grandal last week and Goldschmidt. 850xp and 75k cash isn't much for the time it takes a lot of us to get through lvl 4. I've only just started cycling and it still takes me 1-2 hours, sometimes longer, but usually quicker with live boost obviously. Moving the guaranteed player to a tier that not only is harder but forces you into negative net cash-wise after the 3rd or 4th round with autoplay is hugely counter productive and unwelcome. How quick will it get old trying to cycle HoF for those of you that did spend all those resources and take up so much time? I also only see 1 person having cycled HoF in silver which again points to Glu pushing you to tier up. I could cycle all-star I believe with my team (capped keepers/ML, all upgrades capped) but I had to stop throwing cash at it and was unwilling to put in more than the 300g I already had. With the gifts over the course of the day and rewards from weekend event I was in same place with cash as when WoH started. That is a first.

The note about tweaking things is quaint but I fear it will only be lip service. Glu has made their intentions clear these last couple weeks. They keep pushing the finish line back further and further and at greater cost that only the resource heavy teams can attain, asking the rest of us to put in even more time, in-game currency or real cash to get back what we already at times had great difficulty achieving. The time I have put in, the research I have done and tried to pass on to my club seems to have been for nothing now with my interest waning in another day's event now leaving just Royale. It's like watching two children separated by a handful of grades playing a made up game that once the younger child starts to figure out the older child changes the rules at whim that only he/she can understand.

/rant
  • bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    edited May 2019
    Let’s see what happens next week.....negative feedback was to the extent they gave away bxp and potm boxes.....money says it will be dialed back a bit jnext week and they will keep tweaking it until there is a better balance.  

That said, I haven’t heard anyone address the need for more lhb in their lineups.  Now we see what we are dealing with we have a week to tighten up our lineups, level up if we were on the fence about it, address lineup deficiencies (how many would have bought Rizzo who didn’t if they knew what was waiting), save cashnif that was an issue, stock some gold and not spend 2-3h next time scouring message boards looking for hitting lineup sequences between rounds.   Next Monday is going to be easier, if only in that we know what’s waiting and have the chance to gear up the best we can.  

2c
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    Ironically, I am a lhb heavy team right now (I purchased Rizzo btw B) ). PoTW Escobar is most useless guy in my lineup as he will only get boosted on vid boost or live boost. I didn't even bother with him much at all. HR battles alllllll day/night for me it would seem and no more auto-play in CvC. That was probably my biggest spend, or leveling the low percentage bonus guys I got as I stopped buying boxes altogether this past week outside of maybe 2. I'm done with upgrades but still always short on cash it seems. I guess SF contributes too as I can autoplay up to late rounds in every tier.
  • redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    I played somewhat poorly yesterday and while I don’t have the perfect lineup (I’m actually very LHB heavy and with Hosmer coming in yesterday via an All Star win of my 12 non ML batters I have 6 pure lefties and 2 switch hitters) I got to 5.9 in HoF and feel I probably should have focused on that harder during the live boost I got almost from the start.  I may have to reset my legend too as I ended up making him a RHB due to big blue wall early on in slugfest, but gave him the RHP skill (yes that was dumb).  I had some frustrating moments but liked the challenge overall even if the levels felt somewhat inconsistent.
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    Speaking of Rizzo, he was 232 with live boost + vid boost yesterday while Clark & Mantle were only 225. Was he getting some extra boost that I wasn't aware of? Clark & Mantle are 330 max to Rizzo's 325. If anything Rizzo should've been a few points less.
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Here are some of my takeaways from yesterday's towers:

-I made about half the bxp from the previous week and literally, a fraction of the cash(1.5mill vs 150k yesterday). 
    -If you had your keeper bats and ML capped in gold, HoF was very reasonable.
    -LIVE BOOST is a game changer. Adjust around it.
    -the cash cost to sim was ridiculous. The cost to restart in the later stages of level six were insane...yet, people still did it.
    -Seager was the first legit woh prize worth chasing and spending on.
    -I felt bad for the guys in silver. Yes, it was being done, but it was very costly.
    -I LOVED the 20x for HoF and the mega bonus points from Seager. If your club was able to cycle HoF, it really separated you from the pack.
    -The nerves I felt when I was facing Thor(6.10) was amazing. I missed that feeling. 
    -I think HoF is fine as is. If they can make it five levels while maintaining the difficulty of climbing through six levels, that would be ideal. Based on what I'e seen, AS should be tapered down a little. I think that frustrated guys as much as anything. Many expected AS to be similar to the WoH that we've been given all year and well, that wasn't the case. 

Overall, I loved the 'sense of accomplishment' feeling that WoH had been missing for the last several months. Even though I made considerably less resources, it was probably my favorite WoH ever. It was tough, the rewards were great, and I was prepared. However, I fully realize that not many share that opinion. In fact, some feel the exact opposite. Hopefully, they continue to tweak things and a happy medium is the end result. 
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts

I ended up cycling All Star in silver, but only during my live boost and after spending 1500 gold on 5.9 and 5.10 (it cost me nothing to get that far, at least).  With the boost it was fairly reasonable, and I don't have a great team at this point (my keepers are low end guys with a true max of 500 and 515).  The cost of playing was steeper, as everyone has been saying, so that was annoying.

Those of us who have limited time for whatever reason (school, work, family, etc.) are going to struggle with this going forward though.  I could not sim my matchups confidently, routinely losing the first level of a given round in HOF and All Star.  Having to play all the rounds took forever, and if you're trying not to spend a fortune, getting through HOF takes countless level restarts (i.e., you lose 5.7, you start back at 5.1 instead of buying an instant restart).  It just took soooo long.  I had a bit of gold saved up or else I would have bagged it entirely, even at All Star, because I did not have the time to keep trying the level over and over. 

Hosmer became my best hitter so it was worth it for me--but like I said, I don't have a strong team yet.  If HOF is the only level worth it for you, and you have limited time, it just doesn't seem to be worth the grind.