Short reliever vs long reliever

WaveburnerWaveburner Registered Users, Member 290 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but do people bother distinguishing between SR or LR when deciding who to put in the long relief spot? My best long reliever is still only 4.5 star, but i have around 7 5 star short relievers in my inactives. Is there any difference between the 2 player types? Do long relievers have longer stamina and don't get tired after only 1 inning? Just wondering if matters or if I should just plug in a 5 star for the upgrade. As always thanks for your help, this forum really is a great community and source of information.

Comments

• Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    The lr players can usually go up to 3 innings, but once your starters are 5 star, or box players, it really shouldn't be an issue.  I cut all 4.5 stars or lower over a month ago.
  • lqtmlqtm Registered Users, Member 7 Posts

Yeah, the difference is stamina. If memory serves me right, short relievers pitch 1 inning at full strength and then go straight to “fading” (which drops their ratings pretty fast) in inning #2, whereas long relievers pitch 2 innings at full strength, then get “tired” in inning #3 (slight drop in ratings) before going to “fading” in inning #4.

I guess it depends on the discrepancy between your LR and your SRs, but unless your LR really sucks, I’d recommend keeping him there. Your LR typically goes in the game when your starter gets rocked out of the gate. So putting a SR in there doesn’t make much sense to me, even if he is really good. If your starter gets pulled in inning 3, you need a guy that can get you to the 6th inning, where the rest of your bullpen can take over. Having a SR pitch 1 inning in the 3rd or 4th doesn’t do much for you. The benefits of having a really good SR in the LR spot will be wasted because the rest of your bullpen will have to pitch beyond 1 inning, and thus will be “fading”.

• bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    Ideally I’d follow DFBBs advice. Thing is I’ve never had a top level LR this, last or the year before.  So I usually put my worst SR there, focus only on SPs, RP1, SU and CL.  
  • Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    bigvivec said:
    Ideally I’d follow DFBBs advice. Thing is I’ve never had a top level LR this, last or the year before.  So I usually put my worst SR there, focus only on SPs, RP1, SU and CL.  
    Same.  I don't remember very many LR in boxes, ever.  My bullpen usually suffers, but if you catch top-flight starters, it's not a big deal, for the most part.
  • Boston0714Boston0714 Registered Users, Member 168 Posts
    Don't forget YOUR MR now
  • bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    I don’t even know why they bother with that one either.  After a couple months all SU, RP1, 2 and LR’s are just outdated closers and the wheel keeps spinning.....
  • navyjack77navyjack77 Registered Users, Member 1,299 Posts
    Back when the Matt Barnes 340 Max SR came out, I maxed him out and had him as my RP1 to build up bonus points. He was stronger than any of my starters. Even autoplaying, he was pitching 3 innings on average. He would take over in the 7th and finish the game. I didn’t even have to play manually and use energy drinks. I guess it all depends on how strong a SR is as to how many innings he will pitch in a game.