Bring back Leagues!

DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
@Bigpredfan told me that once upon a time, in TSB, there were 'leagues' of 5-6 teams where we'd pay entry fees of both cash and/or gold. GLU would take a nice cut, but obviously, the winners would profit. Right now, there's very little incentive to do h2h and something like this is the spark it needs. From GLU's perspective, it  would make pitching more of a priority and guys would chase players and resources accordingly. Seems like a win/win to me. In general, I'd love to see an event for h2h matches. Thoughts?
If you're not having fun, you're losing.

Comments

• BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    I was a very naive player in 2016, but remember these because they were an event on Monday’s. 

Maybe all all these big shots going to SF in August can mention this idea 
  • Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts
    It was basically what season mode is now in structure. Add in the reward system like Slugfest (2k to enter, winner gets like 8500), but with an escalating prize based on level. It wasn't popular back then, which is to say the rewards weren't great. 

If they had it and removed it, I'd have to suspect it either didn't solve the supposed need for more head-to-head opportunity, or no one really cares about head-to-head. 
    Cooz19 said:
    It was basically what season mode is now in structure. Add in the reward system like Slugfest (2k to enter, winner gets like 8500), but with an escalating prize based on level. It wasn't popular back then, which is to say the rewards weren't great. 

If they had it and removed it, I'd have to suspect it either didn't solve the supposed need for more head-to-head opportunity, or no one really cares about head-to-head. 
    I would be lead to believe it was removed because people found a way to hack it and always get the rewards. Same reason we don’t have gold battles for derby anymore 
  • TheHolyGhostTheHolyGhost Registered Users, Member 45 Posts
    Ah...the simple days — before all the bonus players, etc...the leagues rewarded you for getting wins, hits, and runs!  That’s it — no chasing players day after day!  It reminds me of hearing stories (from my parents and grandparents) about the days before cell phones and color TV, when we played outside, too!
  • effschmoo2effschmoo2 Registered Users, Member 184 Posts
    Ah...the simple days — before all the bonus players, etc...the leagues rewarded you for getting wins, hits, and runs!  That’s it — no chasing players day after day!  It reminds me of hearing stories (from my parents and grandparents) about the days before cell phones and color TV, when we played outside, too!
    Back in my day we had to walk 4 miles in the snow up hills both ways to get a 4.5 star Joc Pederson and we were damn glad to have it!
    You do know that “stick” is in the toy hall of fame right?  

• retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,856 Posts
    I'm more surprised there's a toy hall of fame than to hear Stick was inducted in it. Stick has always been a pretty good guy. He would poke dead animals for me, hold down snakes, let me beat him against things, and even let me carve him up with knives so I could have arrows and spears! Ahh, good times. I wonder what ole Stick's up to these days 🤔
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
    I'm more surprised there's a toy hall of fame than to hear Stick was inducted in it. Stick has always been a pretty good guy. He would poke dead animals for me, hold down snakes, let me beat him against things, and even let me carve him up with knives so I could have arrows and spears! Ahh, good times. I wonder what ole Stick's up to these days 🤔
    I would go and find out, but i moved into a new subdivision and don’t have any trees in my yard :(
    It really is a great place to go and look around (online of course). Slinky is there amongst other great toys. 
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,856 Posts
    Slinky was not nice to me. I don't want to check on him 😂
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts
    Cooz19 said:

I would be lead to believe it was removed because people found a way to hack it and always get the rewards. Same reason we don’t have gold battles for derby anymore 
    Yeah there's that angle as well. As a non-hacker, I can say they weren't much fun. Any sub-group of players will enjoy whatever, and I certainly wouldn't complain if it was implemented. Just sharing my experience-based opinion.
    Cooz19 said:
    Cooz19 said:

Yeah there's that angle as well. As a non-hacker, I can say they weren't much fun. Any sub-group of players will enjoy whatever, and I certainly wouldn't complain if it was implemented. Just sharing my experience-based opinion.
    Back when you could have as many teams as you liked on the same device, they were great for getting bonus games as they costs 2K blue cash and you received a bonus game for every game you played. So 2K for 5 bonus games. Lol. Start a bronze team and load up for bonus game day 
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    Problem was you could play a league and if nobody played a game then you all tied for first, and got first place prize.  Man did we “not” play gold tourneys!! 😀😀
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
    Hold up!  How did a stick get indicted in the Toy HOF, and the pet rock didn’t even get acknowledged???  My father still speaks of his pet rock to this date. Apparently back in his day (50-60s) you could get a haircut, a hot meal, and a female encounter for under $1.  
    Well today you can get a female counterpart for gloves and balls on global