Do skills really make a difference?

blueprintsblueprints Registered Users, Member 96 Posts
I’m wondering... do the skills (or double skills) really make a difference? For example, if I have a hitter with a 215 hit rating but have another one that only has 200 hit rating but double WOH skills or WOH/(another skill), would be really be more valuable than the 215 player? Does it make a big difference?

Comments

• BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    edited June 2019
    I’m wondering... do the skills (or double skills) really make a difference? For example, if I have a hitter with a 215 hit rating but have another one that only has 200 hit rating but double WOH skills or WOH/(another skill), would be really be more valuable than the 215 player? Does it make a big difference?
    Short answer is yes. My best lefty for WOH is the Matthews from last Monday.  Even though he is 340 he beats 360 Devers (LHP skill) because of the skills. 

Devers hit rating is 377
    Matthews is 363, but after adding in both skills at 8 it goes up to 423. 
  • HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    #skillsgate 
    "Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

• DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    For WoH, skills are the everything.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    edited June 2019
    @blueprints Skills certainly matter in WoH, stacked being king.

@Bigpredfan Meadows.

@DFBB You mentioned something earlier today which I hadn't noticed until tonight. Using a hitter with unmatched skills on first pitch (at least 1) I saw less real strikes and straight pitches by end of AB. It was actually a mistake play on my part thinking I was at level 3 and not level 4 a couple rounds previous so had to use someone I don't normally for Lester. He did okay until I got within 1 but after that nothing to hit. I think all bets are off for Wednesday and that my matchups are correct but I get creative when things don't work out every time so I may try to avoid that and see what happens with the proper matchup.
  • benny100benny100 Registered Users, Member 757 Posts
    Skills are everything for WOH as @DFBB said.  - May not seem important now as we are early in the season, but as the difficulty ramps up their importance will. Last 3 months of last season you needed two active skills at 16/16 at least on your best RH and LH batter to get past level 5. Maxing skills at 20/20 was not uncommon and really helpful. But you need to chose carefully which guy to take skills really high on as it is expensive and you want him to be relevant for a good chunk of time. With the ATGs last year, taking skills to 20/20 was an easy decision if th skills were good - e.g. Mantle, Mays etc.
  • tocopan18tocopan18 Registered Users, Member 803 Posts
    benny100 said:
    Skills are everything for WOH as @DFBB said.  - May not seem important now as we are early in the season, but as the difficulty ramps up their importance will. Last 3 months of last season you needed two active skills at 16/16 at least on your best RH and LH batter to get past level 5. Maxing skills at 20/20 was not uncommon and really helpful. But you need to chose carefully which guy to take skills really high on as it is expensive and you want him to be relevant for a good chunk of time. With the ATGs last year, taking skills to 20/20 was an easy decision if th skills were good - e.g. Mantle, Mays etc.
    same thing with the keepers' skills this year, expensive but recommended
  • slafrance2slafrance2 Registered Users, Member 1,370 Posts
    edited July 2019
    So I just recently got this cool new Freeman and he’s got the 2 outs skill. I also have Beaty at 1st as well. With the 10 point overall difference is it worth using Freeman and does the 2 out skill apply to WOH?
  • Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    It is supposed to kick in.  I know it does in all other formats.  That late-inning skill on Beaty is superior by far for woh.
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    The 2 outs skill should kick in when there's.. well, 2 outs. Overall isn't king if you're looking at woh, you want to pay attention to that sweet sweet hit rating 😁
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • TwoNightStandTwoNightStand Registered Users, Member 35 Posts
    Love my Freeman! 
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    Freeman at G10 will be 220/216/124 and yes 2 out does apply in WoH. I would use Beaty. Skills are stacked potentially more often than Freeman would be and the higher hit makes him "better" than even Prime Meadows at 221 hit (370 max)...arguably. @slafrance2
    Thank you guys. Much appreciated. freeman is killing CvC 
    I also like Beaty more as the replacement to my Rizzo that crushed WOH for more than several weeks for me. 
  • zsmiller23zsmiller23 Registered Users, Member 41 Posts
    Skills are the most important thing when it comes to walk off hero
  • jmsorioles33jmsorioles33 Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    DFBB said:
    For WoH, skills are the everything.
    Skills, and platoon!
  • jmsorioles33jmsorioles33 Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    As everyone else has said skills matter more than almost anything else considering most of your key guys generally have very similar overall ratings. One thing I’d add is consider platoon advantage (rhb vs lhp or lhb vs rhp) a 3rd skill at maybe 6-8%. You can look at the stats of any of your players to see how much platoon matters, woh is no different so just factor that in when deciding who to pick.
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Skills are the most important thing when it comes to walk off hero

Yesterday, I used Ichiro vs Sale(left vs left) and with just the video boost most of the day(live boost the last two hours), he won about 80% of the time. Imo, this is a great example of how important skills are. For reference, he was d10 and skills at 10/8(2x woh skills).
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.