Options

Need some advice

Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
edited July 2019 in General TSB Discussion

These are my current resources and prime hitters (also have prime J.A. Happ), and the bxp I could raise via trade-in (all inactives except former POTWs and replacements for May POTMS).

1) Do you guys think I will be able to immediately compete well at gold, and is there a most beneficial day to make the move?

2) Should I go after any more of the current All-Star box, or hold off for another box (hopefully) in another couple days?  I bought 5 before fan rewards started (I wanted the gold spent to go toward my stadium) and pulled Pence and Smith (both now capped at s10).

Edit: The first ss shows Happ, but not prime Ohtani, who is now a sub because of pulling Pence.  He is also capped at s10.
Prev1

Comments

• Options
    UltimateWarriorUltimateWarrior Registered Users, Member 543 Posts
    edited July 2019
    You could make the jump today and be would still excell. Personally I wouldn’t trade in all those guys Glu still recycle guys we’ve gotten from boxes in events. Be strategic when you get rid of players. I’m curious to see the rest of your starters. I wouldn’t waste PXP on any pitcher it’s way to early in the game with little PXP available. Focus on maxing Bell and Pence. You can work on your other primes later. And save your gold there’s more All Star boxes to come which I think will be even better. 
  • Options
    Ok thanks for the input @UltimateWarrior.  I won't just dump the inactives, but I just wanted to see what they were worth.  I will only trade in on an as-needed basis.
  • Options

My current woh lineup.  The POTMs would be replaced by Phillies box Hernandez, double-woh Meadows, and Empire box Sanchez, most likely.  I also have a couple other 340 max players with stackable skills for woh (Wolters, Beaty, double-hot hitter Deitrich).
  • Options
    BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    Your lineup would need to look a good bit different at first. You only have enough PXP to cap one prime in gold (about 70K). That will be the hard part for you 
  • Options
    My idea with primes would be to spread the pxp I have over Pence, Bell, and Segura, and take them all as far as I can each (5ish?).  Maybe a little to Happ (2-3?).  I may leave him alone because I have 540 true-max Whitey Ford and 3 350 maxes in the rotation now.

Or do you think it is better to cap 1 prime (Pence or Bell?), And work one at a time?
  • Options
    retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,856 Posts
    @Tdub going to gold you should be ok to cap a few primes in the near future, but that's not a guarantee. In platinum I've had to make the decision to cap prime and wait for the rest to be bypassed by bxp players. 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • Options
    edited July 2019

@UltimateWarrior, my most likely active roster for most formats.  I could shuffle in Beaty, Wolters, and maybe a couple others for woh, if the matchups are better.  This would be after POTMs drop, and assuming I don't add back some June POTMs.

Edit: all skills at 6 or 7, except keepers.  They are only at 2 or 3 each.
  • Options
    Tdub71 said:
    My idea with primes would be to spread the pxp I have over Pence, Bell, and Segura, and take them all as far as I can each (5ish?).  Maybe a little to Happ (2-3?).  I may leave him alone because I have 540 true-max Whitey Ford and 3 350 maxes in the rotation now.

Or do you think it is better to cap 1 prime (Pence or Bell?), And work one at a time?
    I prefer to cap one at a time and then work on the rest. You have enough players to cap all the other positions (25,100 BXP per player I think) if you trade in some other players you don’t need. I would do either Pence or Bell then start working on the other one. 340 Matthews is still awesome for 5-10 in class in Monday and today 
  • Options
    Any other thoughts?  Thinking I might just eat it, and go tomorrow.  Definitely welcoming all opinions.
  • Options
    @Tdub how are you with woh? Are you able to cycle cap guys?
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • Options
    No, but it's mostly due to available time.  I usually only get in 1 lap.  I am struggling a little today, but I am also unmotivated because the reward is not that appealing to me.
  • Options
    With the prime vs BXP player issue- 380 primes come out to roughly 222 at G10 if my math is correct. 350 BXP is 205. So a G10 350 is about the same as a 380 Prime at G7 or so. That’s why I would focus on one prime at a time and use BXP players to get you through. Having 3 at G5 is worse than having 350 BXP players at G10
  • Options
    With the prime vs BXP player issue- 380 primes come out to roughly 222 at G10 if my math is correct. 350 BXP is 205. So a G10 350 is about the same as a 380 Prime at G7 or so. That’s why I would focus on one prime at a time and use BXP players to get you through. Having 3 at G5 is worse than having 350 BXP players at G10
    Now that I see the numbers like that, it makes all the sense in the world.  So which prime do you think should be first priority, Bell or Pence.  I would think Bell (switch, double late-inning), but Pence is the 400 max, and lefty killer...
  • Options
    I like Bell personally because of the switch hitter aspect and flexibility with him at 1B. If you do Bell first, you could literally pick your best BXP player left over for the DH spot 
  • Options
    2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    I like Bell personally because of the switch hitter aspect and flexibility with him at 1B. If you do Bell first, you could literally pick your best BXP player left over for the DH spot 
    Also keep in mind that you could use bell on both of the last 2 rounds of woh  since he’s a SH for a little bit  of gold. It should be cheaper and easier than trying to level up 2 players
  • Options

This is how my active roster fleshed out after bonus game day.  Made it into gold 4.  I ended up trading in a lot more inactives than I had hoped, but managed to get this far, and still keep all 340 max hitters, and a couple 325 maxes with useful double skills.  All pitchers that were not former POTWs were casualties, though.

Thanks for all the advice, @UltimateWarrior, @Bigpredfan, @retirepujols, @CanadaCubs, and @2003cobra.
  • Options
    rmouse511rmouse511 Registered Users, Member 185 Posts
    If you continue to move up to platinum or diamond, remember that at the higher levels it is quality over quantity. It is better to take 2-3 guys to level 10 than to take 4-5 guys to level 5 or 6. This is especially true for primes.

@Tdub71 You will do great during WOH on Monday. Really nice start to your gold team.
  • Options
    Thanks peeps.  Appreciate the got of confidence.
  • Options
  • Options

Is LeMahieu worht holding on to, or is it safe to trade him for the pxp.  I already have Pence as my lefty-killer, and about to cap him at g10.  I also have POTM LeMahieu...
  • Options
    I have been hustling pretty hard this weekend to get my team ready to rock in gold.  Pretty happy with my active roster now.

• Options

Forgot the bullpen...
  • Options
    @CanadaCubs, thanks for the heads-up.  I expect to start seeing almost exclusively platinum teams in bonus and tournaments for quite a while.

After this weekend, I am going to try to just squirrel away resources for the harsh winter that is the move though platinum.  I will probably camp at gold for a few weeks, then press on...
  • Options
    You will have no issues for woh. Bonus games and tournaments are another issue. Currently @Tdub71, I’m a diamond 106 TS and I’ve played you well over 20 times...winning every one of them. I’m saying this just to give you an idea of who you’ll be matched against 
    Aw, man! I want to play against @Tdub71 😂
  • Options
    @retirepujols, thanks, douche.  Just kidding.  What is your current team strength?  I finally pushed up to 101k.
  • Options
    😂😂😂 @Tdub71 I didn't mean I want to play you because @CanadaCubs is 20+-0 against you, I just like seeing forum members in game 😂 I'm just a hair over 100k ts right now, you'd probably beat me 🤪
  • Options
    I was just kidding.  I wouldn't blame you.  I agree, it's always interesting to see how your team stacks up to others you talk to here.
  • Options
    dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    @Tdub71 How are you only 101K TS with that squad??? Do you have no skills leveled beyond cash or something? I have more even matchups in bonus games though I tend to win maybe 80-90% of them. Pitchers will get rocked more often so you'll want to get your closer capped, looking at Green with that 2x RHB skill. Tournaments I haven't tried since I capped more upgrades when originally going gold. In the dozen or so I tried then I never won a single one, for reference.
  • Options
    All hitter skills are at 6 (15k bxp), except potm LeMahieu (nothing on skills) and Ichiro (2 each), since I was more concerned with leveling.  Most SP skills at 6, except for Whitey (1 each).  That is the next project.  Only Smith in the bullpen has any skills, so far.  Yates is likely my closer, given the 390 max, and skills, but I need to cap him first, I think.

I just went gold on Thursday, so team upgrades have had to suffer, since I didn't bring enough blue cash (2.7 mil, or so, to start the move).  Hitting Coach, Trainer, and Clutch are maxed, and Base Coach at 50/60.  The rest are still only 40/60.
  • Options
    marcoslomarcoslo Registered Users, Member 393 Posts
    @Tdub71 I see you upgraded only one of your hitter keepers🤔 should I do the same in gold, we have the same situation