Android Lag

BlackFang4BlackFang4 Registered Users, Member 515 Posts
Android users in 2018 were pretty content with the quality of the gameplay speed. We knew it wasn't breakneck, but it wasn't a severe detriment either. However with the new 2019 version, we saw a large amount of loading screen time. And with the most recent update, things have only gotten worse. For reference to you apple users, it takes me about a minute to load up the game, 45 seconds to autoplay a nine inning game, and manual gameplay runs at a solid 6 frames per second; believe me, I counted all of them. This is all done on a network speed of about 25 Mbps, and no other active users. Of course, a new device will run faster than an old device, but every Android user is experiencing this. Today, home run battles were basically done with our eyes closed. The ball would chop across the screen, and it was guesswork to figure out when to hit it. It was mostly just muscle memory from when the pitch was thrown. So I'm just here to say, c'mon Glu, and fix it. Android devices are nearly incompatible with the game at this point. A disadvantage this big has large effects on a large demographic of your audience. So fix it. 

Comments

• SandpipersSandpipers Registered Users, Member 1,327 Posts
    Even new androids with more than the 2gb required ram suffer this pain...one major factor for me not going diamond, I would slit my throat trying to get the bonus games done in a relatively timely manner with the major lag... over a minute per 9 innings plus loading time
    It's all done with mirrors
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,856 Posts
    My experience is nowhere near that bad. The loadtimes are slow, for sure, but it sounds like your experience is mucb worse than mine. I also very rarely play on a WiFi connection, the vast majority of my time spent playing is with my Verizon wireless. Having said that, it sounds like you have some extra issues going on beyond just the Android aspect @BlackFang4
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • BlackFang4BlackFang4 Registered Users, Member 515 Posts
    @retirepujols I also play frequently on LTE with full connection, but with the same results. Do you mind telling me what device you use?
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    I've tried to be patient, but we're now approaching four months! This is absolutely ridiculous. 18' standard is all I'm asking for(and I bet every android user would jump at it). I mean, is it too much to ask that things stay similar? Fwiw, I can get about 2 games a minute and there have been times where I got 3 games a minute(recently, but rare). However, our Ios counterparts consistently get 4-6 games a minute. Don't even get me started on WoH. Even when manually batting the rounds that cost gold, my diamond buddies can cycle classic in 14-15 mins while I've never been under 22 minutes despite rarely losing. 
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
    @BlackFang4 I've got a OnePlus 6t with 8gb of ram, which should run this app extremely smoothly. When I can find my way to a Walmart I'm thinking about buying the cheapest "smart phone" they have to see what tsb looks like on there. I know Android has an inherent lag that I want to kick in the 🥎🥎, yours just sounds extreme to me.
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
    DFBB said:
    I've tried to be patient, but we're now approaching four months! This is absolutely ridiculous. 18' standard is all I'm asking for(and I bet every android user would jump at it). I mean, is it too much to ask that things stay similar? Fwiw, I can get about 2 games a minute and there have been times where I got 3 games a minute(recently, but rare). However, our Ios counterparts consistently get 4-6 games a minute. Don't even get me started on WoH. Even when manually batting the rounds that cost gold, my diamond buddies can cycle classic in 14-15 mins while I've never been under 22 minutes despite rarely losing. 
    All of this. All of it. With the numerous mishaps this past week alone, it's becoming harder and harder to ignore all of the issues in this app. I know GLU's stock has fallen dramatically over the past few months, but they need to put enough money into their product to ensure a quality experience. 
  • DyldoHunchoDyldoHuncho Registered Users, Member 2 Posts
    I've been having numerous crashes all throughout the day on android as well. More frequently since the gold home run battles got introduced
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    Earnings call 7/31. If that doesn't go well don't expect much from a quality assurance perspective.
  • lpoheronlpoheron Registered Users, Member 170 Posts
    I was told by CS that every device should expect some lag because of the new update, but thats obviously not the case.
  • SandpipersSandpipers Registered Users, Member 1,327 Posts
    Let’s not forget the lag after selecting Play to be able to select a slugger in slugfest.... for me, actual gameplay is NOT the problem, its the scene changes every time I click auto play, I must wait several seconds before I can tap auto play again...slugfest is the worst, followed by prime/bonus games....manually playing any event is absolutely fine, it’s getting to it that sucks
    It's all done with mirrors
  • tribeguy2147tribeguy2147 Registered Users, Member 170 Posts
    Yes it's super terrible. Games do take about a minute. Overall the quality of 19 compared to 18 isnt even close. 18 ran soo much smoother imo. I played 18 the other day. And ran thru a bonus game in literally like 16 seconds. It was amazing lol
    I was helping a friend with bgs earlier tonight and I could barely get 1.5 games a minute. Just freaking lame!
  • TheLegend17TheLegend17 Registered Users, Member 373 Posts
    It's laughable that they continue to add elements to the game (albeit not tested) before fixing what should be simple issues. 

And then charge more money for game play. This is not a free game everything costs gold. Gold is not given out at a high enough rate to make this free to play. You really cannot advance without gold. 
  • AccelmanAccelman Registered Users, Member 65 Posts
    The last couple days the game has been basically unplayable. App crashes every 5-10 minutes into play. Couldn't finish WOH because of it. Restarted, hard reboot, etc. Phone isn't crashing other apps either.
  • Dacuuubbbsss2017Dacuuubbbsss2017 Registered Users, Member 19 Posts
    The more features that are added the slower it will be for the time being. It will get fixed
    edited July 2019
    @Dacuuubbbsss2017 It's not getting fixed. That's the problem. It's been half of the baseball season, and they haven't done anything.
    edited July 2019
    https://youtu.be/VRTWRn4DnOI

@dustyhunks there is a fairly usual load up time for me, and I threw a bonus game in there for good measure. there are definitely times where it loads quicker, but this is not out of the ordinary.
    @BlackFang4 @dkarski87 @DFBB would you guys say this is similar / worst / better than your experience? For all other Android users, let me know how this compares to your gameplay.
  • total13total13 Registered Users, Member 44 Posts
    Android user here... yep, that's how quickly/slowly mine goes. Honestly didn't know that was a "lag" until I saw @dustyhunks video the other day. Extremely jealous!
    @retirepujols Thanks for sharing. Your loading time is similar to mine. That FP sim is like mine when things are going well. The big hold up is the load time from game to game.
    Yes, this is similar to mine. @retirepujols
    Anyone have app files for TSB on external storage as opposed to flash on board by any chance? Encryption of file system? I know Android has had issues forever in that regard.

@retirepujols That doesn't look like your device is struggling with graphical performance one bit. The latency you see could be I/O bottleneck (disk or network) if those files are on a microSD card or, as an anti-cheat measure, Glu does something like checks the hashes of local files from a list that's pulled down often to see if anything on the device has been altered.
    edited July 2019
    @dustyhunks if you could go ahead and say that again, but in dummy terms, I would greatly appreciate it 😊 I know you asked me something, I'm just not entirely sure what that something is right now 😂
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    Mine is pretty much the same as shown,  but my download speed at home is 100mgs/sec so its a tad faster when it comes to load times. But the lag and choppiness is more in game-play like WOH and SF.
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • fahhq2fahhq2 Registered Users, Member 850 Posts
    In 18 my load times were disgraceful and I’m on iPhone. A teammate asked if he could contact a Glu “insider” for me and a couple of others with the same problem. He gave the insider our team names. Insider replied to him that “he took care of it”, so we should uninstall the game, wait half an hour and reinstall. Game work like a charm for a month or so, then went back to lagging on load times. It is definitely “controlled” by Glu somehow, but I’m not a tech guy nor do I wear a tinfoil hat...
    edited July 2019
    @dustyhunks if you could go ahead and say that again, but in dummy terms, I would greatly appreciate it 😊 I know you asked me something, I'm just not entirely sure what that something is right now 😂
    Input/Output, read/write to disk/file system. So if there is a delay in that function the CPU/GPU has to wait until those operations complete before it can move onto the next. If whatever code is in TSB is calling to read through all the files and make sure they are the same the last time it checked or when originally installed it could slow everything down. If the app wants the device to  go out to internet and pull down data from Glu's servers and that connection is slow, it could take some time, considerable time, to move on to the next step in the process that is auto-playing games, which could be....to read through the file system and confirm the files are legit and so on and so on.

FWIW, I was on enterprise wireless network equipment when I recorded that video, easily 1gbps up and down per client with a synchronous internet connection of at times 15gbps upload and download. I also have 1gig fiber at home so don't ever really experience those issues UNLESS the network connection isn't desirable.