Options

Matching algorithm

cuseC08cuseC08 Registered Users, Member 33 Posts
Anyone know what criteria is taken into account when I start a new match against a random opponent? I’m in the Silver level with just over an 85k team strength. I constantly get matched against Gold players and have to face their lvl 10 gold pitchers with my lvl 10 silver batters. Quite frankly it’s annoying as hell. In many cases their team strength is lower than mine so I’m assuming it’s the game’s way of trying to match based on team strength. Why do smart players who lvl slowly have to pay the price and get matched against Gold players? Sorry for the rant but it pisses me off. It’s not my fault other players level too fast to Gold. 

Comments

• Options
    BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    edited July 2019
    cuseC08 said:
    Why do smart players who lvl slowly have to pay the price and get matched against Gold players? Sorry for the rant but it pisses me off. It’s not my fault other players level too fast to Gold. 
    Buddy, you had me until this. Smart players aren’t ones who stay silver forever. Smart players aren’t ones who have jumped to diamond already either. Smart players are the ones who simply move up at a pace that matches what they can do when they are ready to do it, and you can move to gold if you want to. 

At 85K team strength, you can compete in gold if you choose to. If you choose to stay in silver, that’s fine too. But this game wants you to move up. If you don’t want to face gold teams with a silver team, then move to gold 

edit: there are pros and cons to each of the levels. Silver has the benefit of basically being able to cap primes/players/upgrades with little effort, but you will suffer in other areas.  That’s life. Look at the game and choose what you want to do. I’m in diamond and have only leveled 1 Prime, upgrades aren’t near capped for my level, but I have the benefits of the gold and winning basically every bonus/tournaments/prime game I play. Give and take 
  • Options
    DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    If you're referring to 'match me,' I'm not certain. Bgs/tourneys matchups are based on total wins. Fwiw, I was silver for 6+ months in '18. I was silver for 2 weeks in '19. Gotta adjust with the times. 
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Options
    retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,856 Posts
    cuseC08 said:
    Smart players who lvl slowly 
    Not trying to be a jerk here, but the game has been out, what; four months now? I'm not understanding how staying in the second of five levels is the "smart" way to play, especially having seen so many silver teams complain about an increase in losing after a certain point. 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • Options
    2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    The smartest part about staying silver is for some unknown reason glu rewards highly rated silver teams with the ability to score well in cvc. Seeing that all teams face the same pitchers with the same ratings I’m not sure why that is. One would think that higher rated hitters would fare better than lower rated hitters against the same pitchers. I was tired of losing gams that’s why I moved on
  • Options
    cuseC08 said:
    Not trying to be a jerk here, but the game has been out, what; four months now? I'm not understanding how staying in the second of five levels is the "smart" way to play, especially having seen so many silver teams complain about an increase in losing after a certain point. 
    Poor choice of words on my part. I do not have enough xp saved up to level my whole roster to 10 so was planning to wait until I have enough saved. I was always under the impression that I’d be matched against stronger competition if I moved up so wanted to make sure I had enough xp to be competitive. Also figured the same went for season mode. Need to make sure I win the finals and get those pxp rewards. 
  • Options
    cuseC08 said:
    Why do smart players who lvl slowly have to pay the price and get matched against Gold players? Sorry for the rant but it pisses me off. It’s not my fault other players level too fast to Gold. 
    Buddy, you had me until this. Smart players aren’t ones who stay silver forever. Smart players aren’t ones who have jumped to diamond already either. Smart players are the ones who simply move up at a pace that matches what they can do when they are ready to do it, and you can move to gold if you want to. 

At 85K team strength, you can compete in gold if you choose to. If you choose to stay in silver, that’s fine too. But this game wants you to move up. If you don’t want to face gold teams with a silver team, then move to gold 

edit: there are pros and cons to each of the levels. Silver has the benefit of basically being able to cap primes/players/upgrades with little effort, but you will suffer in other areas.  That’s life. Look at the game and choose what you want to do. I’m in diamond and have only leveled 1 Prime, upgrades aren’t near capped for my level, but I have the benefits of the gold and winning basically every bonus/tournaments/prime game I play. Give and take 
    Yeah I was kinda rushing in my first post because the wife was needing me. Maybe a better choice of words would have been “patient players”. But what about season mode? If I don’t have enough xp to max my roster out to lvl 10 shouldn’t I hold off? I don’t want the season mode to be too hard to win. 
  • Options
    cuseC08 said:
    cuseC08 said:

Yeah I was kinda rushing in my first post because the wife was needing me. Maybe a better choice of words would have been “patient players”. But what about season mode? If I don’t have enough xp to max my roster out to lvl 10 shouldn’t I hold off? I don’t want the season mode to be too hard to win. 
    I can only assume, but 85K silver must mean primes that you won’t have maxed. I always recommend using some awesome BXP players to fill in the gaps of your weaker primes until you can level them/new primes up. 

I cant answer season mode honestly. That feels like a lifetime ago and I didn’t stay gold long enough to get a good feel for season mode there. 
  • Options
    @cuseC08 do you level new players pretty often?
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • Options
    Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    Season mode in gold will be tough at first, if you can't level your ace and a few key bats. 

@Bigpredfan is absolutely right about subbing in bxp players, until you get your primes up to speed.  They will be much easier to level, and allow you to win easier, to gain more pxp, to level your prime, etc, etc, etc.

I was lucky, as I had a ton of pxp saved when I moved up, but at 85k, you should be more than ready.  That is about where I was on 7/4, when I went to gold.  With my best lineup in, I am about 108k, now.
  • Options
    Ehhhhh I did a couple but not much anymore. Trying to save xp up so I can level everyone in my line up to Gold 10
  • Options
    Tdub71 said:
    Season mode in gold will be tough at first, if you can't level your ace and a few key bats. 

@Bigpredfan is absolutely right about subbing in bxp players, until you get your primes up to speed.  They will be much easier to level, and allow you to win easier, to gain more pxp, to level your prime, etc, etc, etc.

I was lucky, as I had a ton of pxp saved when I moved up, but at 85k, you should be more than ready.  That is about where I was on 7/4, when I went to gold.  With my best lineup in, I am about 108k, now.
    I have about 145k pxp saved up and 33k xp. Lately there have been a lot more pxp rewards. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I am not sure the exact number, but it is around 80k pxp to take a player from s1 to g1.  If you have field pass, and can find a .3 discount club, you could probably cap 3 primes, and take 1 more to g8 or g9.

I had a little more, and around 200k bxp, so my transition was very easy.

Edit: .3 club is not helpful for you.  I wasn't paying attention...
  • Options
    cuseC08 said:
    Ehhhhh I did a couple but not much anymore. Trying to save xp up so I can level everyone in my line up to Gold 10
    Good, keep doing that 😊 
  • Options
    Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts
    ...Smart players aren’t ones who stay silver forever. Smart players aren’t ones who have jumped to diamond already either. Smart players are the ones who simply move up at a pace that matches what they can do when they are ready to do it, and you can move to gold if you want to. 

Agree completely with this. I think I'm at like 83k TS, and I'm neither smart nor stupid for staying at silver. I just like the pace I'm at right now. I'll probably go gold eventually, but my schedule is about to get much more hectic (NFL season starting up), so it seems better to just hang out and try to get another few prime players before moving up.

To address one thing: I had a dip in win percentage (most notably displayed in bonus games) when I reached about 2300 wins. I added a few better players, and I started winning somewhere around 90 percent again. As @Bigpredfan said, "this game wants you to move up." It's just my experience, but perhaps there's a threshold of wins combined with a certain team strength that incurs the wrath of high-level opponents. I was losing like 7 of 10, then I added a few higher level players to replace lower-level ones I had (like 340 to 350) and I started winning again. 

As for season mode: I've lost four times in my last 127 season games. Two of those came in the quarterfinals of my last season (still pisses me off). I'm 108-0 right now, but you can slaughter the regular season and get really nothing for it. You want to make a dent in building up pennants, you need to win in the playoffs. Everything I've heard is gold is far more challenging in season mode. I've also heard gold is much easier for woh. Bottom line, there are going to be benefits and losses from moving up and staying put. It all depends on how you want to play. 
  • Options
    cuseC08 said:
    cuseC08 said:
    Poor choice of words on my part. I do not have enough xp saved up to level my whole roster to 10 so was planning to wait until I have enough saved. I was always under the impression that I’d be matched against stronger competition if I moved up so wanted to make sure I had enough xp to be competitive. Also figured the same went for season mode. Need to make sure I win the finals and get those pxp rewards. 
    Wanted to mention something specific to me, and I’m sure others can relate too, with regards to saving to move up. 

I don’t have the self control to save to move up, at least not my whole roster. You will always be getting new players you want to level and that makes serving incredibly hard. I have to do what I do when I go swimming, just jump in the deep end. I can’t ease my way into a pool because it’s cold, but when I jump in, I adjust much more quickly to the temperature and then I’m fine. 

Sometimes you just have to jump to the next level and then you will adjust 
  • Options
    @Cooz19 and @Bigpredfan are both dead-on here.  I also have no willpower, so saving resources the last couple weeks of June was absolute torture for me.  I have a toddler mentality, so I have trouble not chasing the "new toy", and if I get it I HAVE to play with it, immediately.

I also got super-tired of getting hammered by gold teams in bonus games, so I knew I had to move up.  I didn't see any drop-off in season mode (4 losses total in 1.5 seasons so far, including playoffs), and woh got a little easier.  Bonus game day became fun again, because I am back to winning 80% or more.

I did have the advantage of a pretty stacked roster (now only C and RPx2 are 350, every other active spot is 380 or better, except keeper Ichiro).

Just my personal experience, but gold has been the sweet spot for me, until I decide to make the jump straight to diamond.
  • Options
    Cooz19 said:
     (NFL season starting up)
    😍

Waiting for more prime players before leveling up can be a dangerous tactic. If you have a stacked silver team full of primes, and you want to move up to gold, you're going to want to have the PXP to cap those guys otherwise they can very quickly be replaced by bxp players. This becomes much more difficult as you move into platinum and diamond, for sure. It's not too bad in gold, that's a pretty good sweet spot right there. As Pred mentioned, I just jumped in. It worked out for me since I jumped when Platinum pitchers were the highest tier diamond players faced in walk-off hero. Now, the difficulty has been raised a notch and we are facing seven diamond pitchers in walk-off hero. Luckily I was able to cycle enough woh's to pretty much have all d10 batters before the difficulty increased, but also remember the difficulty will continue to increase throughout the year. Different strokes for different folks, and different strategies for all 😊
  • Options
    @retirepujols
    Where I get stuck is in the cycle of improvement. A better player is a better player. If I can get him leveled now, why wait? Since I'm only gonna be able to level a few of them to g10, why bother? 

I suppose the cycle has to end at some point, and I think I've done that. I have several interchangeable 350 max two-skill guys, and I'm strong enough in my five best woh guys to think I have a good chance to cycle each week. I'm still chasing those primes, though...

Ah, **** it, I'm finna go gold this week. 

• Options
    Cooz19 said:
    @retirepujols
    Where I get stuck is in the cycle of improvement. A better player is a better player. If I can get him leveled now, why wait? Since I'm only gonna be able to level a few of them to g10, why bother? 

I suppose the cycle has to end at some point, and I think I've done that. I have several interchangeable 350 max two-skill guys, and I'm strong enough in my five best woh guys to think I have a good chance to cycle each week. I'm still chasing those primes, though...

Ah, **** it, I'm finna go gold this week. 

It just depends on what you want to do, bro. I can't level every guy I get in diamond, because I would run out of all resources very quickly. So it takes me a good amount of planning and decision-making when I level a guy. Also, I have some 340 max players that have been on my roster for quite some time now because very few of these 350 max players have a better hit raining combined with skills. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    Not to back-track, but that's sort of the thing for me, @retirepujols. They dangle the carrot in front of you enough that you know you're never set at any position. There is always a better player coming, so there's always a reason to buy a box, even if the odds are very low. @Tdub71 said recently he dropped a bunch of coin in hopes to get a 400 max catcher. I have 3 350 max catchers plus ML. If I'm not gonna be able to level the players I have at S10 now, how am I gonna do it in gold? Any boost in resources I'd get are gonna go to maxing them out, which is what I have now. 

I want to go gold I guess just for the sake of going gold. In retrospect, knowing what I know now, I might have gone gold sooner and just taken my beatings early. 

• Options
    @Cooz19 you can definitely level guys, especially in gold, you just can't level every single guy you get. If you have three different catchers all at 350 Max overall, honestly brother it sounds like you're just wasting your resources so that you can play with the shiny new toy. If that's something you totally enjoy, then by all means keep doing it. I usually throw guys away that are upgrades for me, simply because they're not a big enough upgrade for me to dump resources into. All I'm saying is, imagine the resources that you've thrown at however many guys you've leveled so far, I'm sure those resources could fuel a gold/Platinum team. But yes, none of us are set at any position right now. Not unless we have a team full of all-time greats I suppose there will always be improvements to be made 😭
  • Options
    @retirepujols, exactly.  I am going to have to camp at gold now, because I don't think I can take the heartache of leaving all these damn primes behind...