Bonus Games

zsmiller23zsmiller23 Registered Users, Member 41 Posts
Are there any specific tips and tricks to winning bonus games consistently? I am currently silver with a team strength around 95k and I am losing probably 80% of my bonus games. Is literally the only thing I can do to help is by going gold? 

Comments

• zsmiller23zsmiller23 Registered Users, Member 41 Posts
    Yes.  If you don’t like losing. But I’m sure you crush cvc and extra innings. Pick one 
    Yeah that’s unfortunate lol
  • Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts
    @CanadaCubs is correct. I'm silver, 85k-ish TS, I had a spell starting around 2300 wins where I couldn't win a bonus game to save my life. I've gotten past it, but it's still way lower (winning around 60 percent) compared to my average. But I do pretty well on cvc, and I mashed the one Extra Innings I did. 

I'll add this: I have a bunch of bonus players, so I've been actively playing bonus games today, and I'm bored out of my freakin mind. I think I might just be a woh/cvc player moving forward. Not sure how much I really want to play bonus games. 
  • sherold22sherold22 Registered Users, Member 84 Posts
    Yeah bonus games are soooooo boring
  • EbiggzEbiggz Registered Users, Member 282 Posts
    edited July 2019
    I was in the same boat and said screw it. Saved up resources to cap all players to G10 and just went gold a couple hours ago

Edit- I'm now anxious for Monday to get here to try WOH as a gold team. (Can't believe I just wished away the weekend for Monday. What is this game doing to me....)
    ~UNAGI~
  • FrankTheTank04FrankTheTank04 Registered Users, Member 1,092 Posts
    Ebiggz said:
    I was in the same boat and said screw it. Saved up resources to cap all players to G10 and just went gold a couple hours ago
    I did that last Thursday after the event ended.  It's nice winning bonus games again, but still a boring event.
    Just no.  
  • EbiggzEbiggz Registered Users, Member 282 Posts
    Ebiggz said:
    I did that last Thursday after the event ended.  It's nice winning bonus games again, but still a boring event.
    Yes, but not as boring as Tuesdays. Talk about a snoozefest, lol. 

It does feel great winning them again. Only 3 losses in 56 games so far vs losing 20 out of 50 at silver.
    ~UNAGI~
  • bayoubengalbayoubengal Registered Users, Member 981 Posts
    Ebiggz said:
    I did too
    First, congrats on not being the 1st person to ask this question.
  • bobrembobrem Registered Users, Member 25 Posts
    I am at p6. Maybe it was just Thursday but yesterday I started losing about 50% of my bonus games. Thought it might be because I had about 300 ice wraps. Used a few but didn’t make a difference. Then I put in all 1 star relievers except for my p10 closer. Did the trick. Now winning about 90%. Hope this helps.
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    Every tier has its pros and cons.  For Silver teams, bonus games is probably the biggest con along with woh being tougher.  On the plus side your cvc should be thriving and its obviously easier to level guys.   So the bottom line is if you want to win bonus games, you need to leave silver but it will be at the expense of other things.  Just the way it is.  Good luck
  • Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    Gold was the sweet spot for me last year, and seems to be again this year. 

Leveling guys is still reasonable (107k lxp/pxp), and I have learned how to nerf TS, so I can win about 85% of bonus and tourney games. 

Prime games are a cakewalk (per usual), WOH Classic is an easy cycle, HoF is tougher, but doable without a huge investment in time or gold.

Season mode is usually 100+ wins and playoff sweeps, and Slugfest is... Slugfest, I guess.

CVC can be a little uneven, but I usually have at least 1 CVC bonus, so scoring is not a big issue.  Most importantly, I don't HAVE to grind out hundreds of bonus games and tourneys to keep up the diamond lifestyle.

If I am understanding @Bigpredfan, @retirepujols, @BlackFang4, and the others correctly, that is one of, if not THE, reason for their desire to bail on this game.
  • 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    I don’t really mind the grind of diamond but the cost to level up players combined with low cost levels in some of these boxes is the biggest reason for me. Pretty much every new prime is trade bait after the event. Using b1 primes for events sucks. Most diamond teams do t have capped primes or legends but the lower level teams are filled with them. They need to reduce the cost of leveling guys at diamond or put more xp in the boxes 
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    Sometimes I do sort of wish I waited until after the MLB season is over to go diamond. Last year it was exactly like this and then at some point very soon after the season ended they started giving out XP like candy at a parade.
  • 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    If that happens this year I guess I’ll have plenty of evo and gold so no hunting or watching videos and maybe no more crying. 
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    edited August 2019
    Tdub71 said:

If I am understanding @Bigpredfan, @retirepujols, @BlackFang4, and the others correctly, that is one of, if not THE, reason for their desire to bail on this game.
    Speaking for myself here, I'm just not enjoying the game. Once I realized that, there's no need to dig much further. I guess I just enjoyed the peak of diamond, so to speak, too much and wasn't prepared for the inevitable "decline." At diamond, I had to grind my tail off but I was rewarded for it in WOH by earning a new player and enough bxp to level a bonus player or two on the weekend. Now, I have to grind my tail off to not be able to level a bonus player or two ever. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edit: I understand these guys need to make money, and I obliged. Level 14 all star might not be the biggest guy on the block, but it's a considerable amount to me. However, I also want to earn things for free by playing the game- and all I earn nowadays is a million new players that I can't use. Not GLU's fault, the game is the game, I just don't want to continue doing something if I don't enjoy it anymore. Next stop is applying this to my job, and life will be on the rise 🙃
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    Tdub71 said:
    Gold was the sweet spot for me last year, and seems to be again this year. 

Leveling guys is still reasonable (107k lxp/pxp), and I have learned how to nerf TS, so I can win about 85% of bonus and tourney games. 

Prime games are a cakewalk (per usual), WOH Classic is an easy cycle, HoF is tougher, but doable without a huge investment in time or gold.

Season mode is usually 100+ wins and playoff sweeps, and Slugfest is... Slugfest, I guess.

CVC can be a little uneven, but I usually have at least 1 CVC bonus, so scoring is not a big issue.  Most importantly, I don't HAVE to grind out hundreds of bonus games and tourneys to keep up the diamond lifestyle.

Of the 8 reasons I quit playing, none of them had anything to do with grinding tournaments or bonus games. I could very easily get by with 1 D6 cycle a week and be just fine with that (really 20 minutes a day and then 400 games Thursday for the BG event). 

The reasons are all things Glu can control and fix fairly easily to be honest. 
  • DaveMustangDaveMustang Registered Users, Member 428 Posts
    2003cobra said:
    I don’t really mind the grind of diamond but the cost to level up players combined with low cost levels in some of these boxes is the biggest reason for me. Pretty much every new prime is trade bait after the event. Using b1 primes for events sucks. Most diamond teams do t have capped primes or legends but the lower level teams are filled with them. They need to reduce the cost of leveling guys at diamond or put more xp in the boxes 

100% agree
  • LudwigMonsterLudwigMonster Registered Users, Member 381 Posts
    edited August 2019
    Tdub71 said:

Speaking for myself here, I'm just not enjoying the game. Once I realized that, there's no need to dig much further. I guess I just enjoyed the peak of diamond, so to speak, too much and wasn't prepared for the inevitable "decline." At diamond, I had to grind my tail off but I was rewarded for it in WOH by earning a new player and enough bxp to level a bonus player or two on the weekend. Now, I have to grind my tail off to not be able to level a bonus player or two ever. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edit: I understand these guys need to make money, and I obliged. Level 14 all star might not be the biggest guy on the block, but it's a considerable amount to me. However, I also want to earn things for free by playing the game- and all I earn nowadays is a million new players that I can't use. Not GLU's fault, the game is the game, I just don't want to continue doing something if I don't enjoy it anymore. Next stop is applying this to my job, and life will be on the rise 🙃
    THIS!
    Side note: I too am at Level 14 All-star.