Options

Speed kills

retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,857 Posts

I'd like to revisit the popular idea that high speed is no bueno, because this guy slays. Instead if hitting 440+ foot bombs, he just dings em at 400+ feet. Instead of stopping at second, he's waved on to third. Are we sure about high speed being a bad thing?
"It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71

Comments

• Options
    WaveburnerWaveburner Registered Users, Member 290 Posts
    My prime 370 Meadows with high speed has been a walk off monster since I got him. Seems to go 2nd to home and 1rst to 3rd far more frequently than my slower batters, and his skills are perfect. I like high hit rating players but I don't think it's as essential as double stacking skills are.
  • Options
    FrankTheTank04FrankTheTank04 Registered Users, Member 1,094 Posts
    I somehow just hit a walk off triple with potw Vlad Jr at 5.10... He better be in the next speedster box, glu!!
    Just no.  
  • Options
    8ball028ball02 Registered Users, Member 130 Posts
    Well thats good to know as I got the same player... unfortunately Im really low on PXP and cant level him  :(  
  • Options
    BlackFang4BlackFang4 Registered Users, Member 515 Posts
    In my experience, speed literally makes 0 difference in walk off hero. If you watch closely, only certain kinds of hits get runners from first to third, and from second to home. It doesn't have to do with the runner's speed. The usual signs of getting an extra base is a base hit that stays in the air (no hard hit singles to the outfield will get them home), and it seems as if opposite field helps as well. The only thing I am unsure about is how doubles work. I do not know if speed helps a runner get from first to home, or if it increases triples. But as for the other, it just seems to be something intangible, but with experience, you can "feel" if the runner will or will not take the extra base. In my opinion, speed is not taken into effect here.
  • Options
    mwilson829mwilson829 Registered Users, Member 364 Posts
    edited August 2019
    I think that is correct, at least with regard to when a runner goes from 2nd to home.  Sharply hit line drives to the outfield will usually score a runner from 2nd, whereas the bloop hits to the outfield don't (I presume the logic is that with a sharply hit line drive, the runner is going full out from contact and thus makes it home, whereas the runner has to hold up momentarily to make sure the bloop gets down). Sharply hit ground balls that make it to the outfield, however, do not score a runner from 2nd.

Regardless of who is being used in WOH, within a second of contact I can predict with near perfect accuracy whether my man on 2nd will score or not.  But when it comes to doubles vs. triples (and runners going 1st to 3rd vs. 1st to home), I have no idea what metric is used, other than that it is almost always a double and the guy on 1st is almost always stopping at 3rd.
  • Options
    JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    Runner will only advance to 3rd from 1st on a single if the ball is hit to the right side of the field, regardless if the ball is played by the CF or RF. 

Runner will only score from 1st on a double if the ball is hit to the right side of the field, regardless if played by the CF or RF.

That's what determines the extra base when a runner is on 1st.
  • Options
    bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    Apples to apples, lower speed is a better stat.  That said, a capped diamond prime fresh out the box BETTER perform, regardless of less than ideal speed ratings.  
  • Options
    Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts
    The crux of the issue is how much speed impacts the AI's decision to send a player home. I only have a few players who will score from first on a double, and IIRC, it only happens in early rounds. Not sure about anyone else, but my experience is sac flies don't exist when the game is tied, and it pretty much takes the runner on third to receive hand-written permission from a senator to get him to run home in tag situations. Getting him to third in a game that doesn't let you hit fly balls deep enough with 1 or 0 outs to score a run means nothing. I don't see force-outs at 3B very often, and only once in a long time are you scoring on consecutive single-double hits. 

Maybe the game isn't that fluid, but I could definitely find some use in woh from a player who takes extra bases. The speed guys I've tried, though, don't do it. Considering the name of the minigame, it seems like it's slanted for power. I don't think it's a matter of a player not being "fast" enough. They have an entire animation sequence fitting with the name of the event when you hit a home run. Personally, I think a hook slide around the catcher animation on a throw to the plate to win it would be fun to watch as well. 
  • Options
    mwilson829mwilson829 Registered Users, Member 364 Posts
    edited August 2019
    After paying closer attention last night, I honestly think the AI's decision whether to send someone from 2nd to home or 1st to home has nothing to do with player stats and everything to do with the flight bath of the batted ball.  Sharply hit line drives score runners from 2nd; bloopers and ground balls do not, period.  The only times I saw a runner go from 1st to home came on extremely hard hit, low line drives to the fence anywhere on the field (even if it's a slow player like Vogelbach). With normal line drives to the gap or ground balls to the fence, the runner stops at 3rd regardless.  Once you get a feel for the minute differences between flight paths, it seems fairly easy to discern exactly what will happen with your runners within moments of contact.
  • Options
    In the end it’s out of your hands.  I think the only thing speed does is rob the other two categories of better stats.
  • Options
    DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    It's been my observation that speed is useless for WoH/CvC. Extra base hits are determined by power and the type of hit will determine whether or not your runner scores from first off a double or goes first to third. The animation sequence is simply visual and the results are determined as soon as contact is made with the ball. After awhile, you'll be able to pick up the pattern and you'll know if your guy will take that extra base.

If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Options
    The outcome is determined when you touch the screen, and isn't dependent upon whether you make contact with the ball (friggen app alerts fall right as the pitcher is about to throw...)
  • Options
    samthemansamtheman Registered Users, Member 686 Posts
    I think the overall rating matters most, followed by active skills and platoon advantage. I never pay any attention to how the particular skills of a hitter are broken down. If your player is good enough to win the round you will win regardless of whether a runner takes an extra base on a single or double.
  • Options
    @Cooz19 In the context of the topic of speed vs power and how it relates to extra bases, you need to make contact with the ball. 
  • Options
    I was making a joke about missing the ball. 
  • Options
    @Cooz19 My bad. I took it literally because I guess you can whiff on the screen. lol
  • Options
    fahhq2fahhq2 Registered Users, Member 850 Posts
    You know when that pop up says “so and so scored from 3rd Base” even before the pitch is thrown? I whiff on the pitch just to say F U Glu and ur scripted B.S. 😂
  • Options
    I think some of you went too far into this 🙃 my main point is these high speed guys get it done just fine 😁 I think the higher speed would be more useful during autoplays of prime games/bonus games/tournaments where a quick guy can get one of your bonus players an rbi slightly more frequently. My main point was- high speed =/= trash
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • Options
    Base15Base15 Registered Users 504 Posts
    We got this speed thing figured out. Let’s turn our attention to cold fusion. 
  • Options
    @DFBB Seriously, I'll swing blind and miss probably 2-3 times over Monday just due to app alerts covering up the pitcher as he's delivering (I should probably do something about it). I just try to keep the timing with a fastball. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    LOL @returepujols.....of course the point was a brag post but like I told dkarski87, If I’d i capped a D10 I’d post his picture with my name next to it on every chat and thread I could.   😂 
  • Options
    @Cooz19 I may or may not have a problem, but my phone is on dnd during woh and cvc. 
  • Options
    You're just smart, @DFBB. Unfortunately I deal with a job that has multiple "stop everything you're doing and work on this" situations a week. I need to know right away if something happens. I've force-closed during 5.10 a few times. 
  • Options
    The way that we have been “stuck” on 350max bxp players but the players are progressively better every week in spite of the ceiling serves to illustrate the role speed plays in the overall skills package for each player.  More speed=less power and lower hit rating effecting a lesser player.  This is also why when we debuted weekend boxes with 420max the theme was speed demons......we will stay at 420 for a bit while players average speed ratings drop.
  • Options
    I get that @bigvivec, but this guys hit rating isn't all that bad- especially with double late inning skills (and switch hitting). They took from his power, which I'm not missing at all. I saw a few people mention his high speed as a reason they wouldnt want him, but this guy is more than getting it done for me 😁
  • Options
    No doubt;  he’s a great pull.  And with his skills and switch hitting utility he’ll have a place in the lineup long after he gets replaced as a finisher and hitting street to become nerfed.  It just like I said at the top of the thread, apples to apples, if faced with a choice between two players with identical max ratings and skills, take the player with lower speed ‘cause he’ll have better stats overall.  A lot of other considerations go into deciding if a player is the right one to level, including handed ness, skills, squad needs and oddly for some, how that avatar looks up on the wall.  

I just leveled Judge.  His skills aren’t perfect (late innings/RISP) but the rest of his attributes fill needs I had.  That and he’s the King of New York!   As a Yanks fan, I cant pass on that!  Not kidding at all;  that was the actual rationale.  So yeah, it’s different for everyone and it’s not long before the next gotta have player comes out anyway.......the struggle is real!