Ranking your best players for WoH

blueprintsblueprints Registered Users, Member 96 Posts
How do you guys rank your best players for WoH once taking into account their skills? Do you look at their hit rating alone or total rating by adding hit + power rating? 

Comments

• mancov2001mancov2001 Registered Users, Member 62 Posts
    Hit and skills
  • blueprintsblueprints Registered Users, Member 96 Posts
    But what if you have a guy at 255 hit rating but
    only 200 power and another guy at 250 hit but 230 power?
  • superbaldy77superbaldy77 Registered Users, Member 144 Posts
    It can depend on your pitcher. I like to use higher power rating on pitchers like Lester. That throw the really slow stuff. Higher hit ratings on the pitchers that bring the heat. You have to understand your pitcher as well
  • bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    Honestly, if two batters are so close you can’t decide which is better, neither can the game so all good.  I rank my team by hit rating, skills and overall rating and by prime / bxp.  For me, it is all about qualifying with the RNG.....small differences in hit and power I am guessing mean very little.  What counts is overall rating, how deep you are on skills and how much of a new release the player is.  I SWEAR I get better results with fresh releases that are capped immediately.  
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    @bigvivec I've heard from others that 'old' players get nerfed as time goes on. Personally, I don't believe it, but I can't rule it out either. 
    I value skills/hit/platoon/power and generally, in that order. I don't pay any attention to max overall.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
    @blueprints It depends who the pitcher will be. If you're having trouble getting fastballs, I'd go with the higher hit. If you're able to get fastballs consistently, the one with more power is ideal because you'll do more damage.
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    I always prefer the highest hit rating for woh including skill boost.   I always have believed that gives you the best chance for hittable pitches.
  • tocopan18tocopan18 Registered Users, Member 803 Posts
    I agree with the previous comments for the most part, but for the last 2 rounds of WOH (level 5 for classic or 6 for HOF) I value power more than hit. High hitting players tend to hit more singles than extra bases. Power hitters are the opposite, more frequent extra-bases (especially HR). If you are 5.9-5.10 (6.9-6.10), down by 4 to 6 runs and no man on base, you really need consistent extra-bases for the not-so-frequent fastballs, so that you improve your chances. 
    I've seen way to many times that you hit like 5-7 consecutive singles (especially the ones where the runner stays on 3rd) and then when you are almost tied, the curveballs appear, no more fastballs and game over. Freaking hate that. That's why I love the player that most of the fastballs are smashed for a double or longer. 
    Thinking about “nerfed”.......I had a theory awhile ago that personal lineup order factored into the RNG results.   To explain: for instance for a given level of WOH, there is the matchup that you SHOULD play your best lhb, one for your best rhb, for your 2nd best lhb, and so on with 4 at the bottom only requiring an overall strength level above a given amount for success.  Kinda like a puzzle, if you assign the players you have in your lineup correctly you improve your odds of success, regardless of their ability.   This means that you will not be as successful if you attempt hypothetically the hardest rhp in a level - let’s call it 4.7 with your fourth best lhb who rates overall at 250 than the next player would be who uses their best lhb for the same 4.7 matchup who is also rated at 250 in that the second player correctly assigned their best bat to the task and the first player did not.  

A theory.
    Nerfing would then occur when your formerly best bat slips down the order with the inclusion of better bats into the lineup, and when you try to use the former #1 in the same spot as you did just a week before, success rates drop.  It could be argued that this has to do with progressive difficulty increments in the game but I think that there is something deeper to figuring your ideal matchups that rewards lineup assignment strategy and penalizes lazy play.

• EbiggzEbiggz Registered Users, Member 282 Posts
    edited August 2019

My deal.

I also got Escobar last night, so he's not on my list yet. 
    ~UNAGI~
  • Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts
    Agree w/ @tocopan18, you need xbhs at the top levels. You only get a certain amount of pitches you can drive, and if you hit those for singles down 3, you're gonna lose. When I say "you," of course, I mean "me." If I don't get at least a double to start 5.10, I lose. 

As it has been said here, overall means nothing, but I look at hit, then skills. I bumped skills up and saw a massive difference immediately -- and that difference was really rooted in power. Hit rating is your ability to make contact. I take that as the factor that most contributes to the frequency of hittable pitches you see. From there, power is definitely an asset but skills (same skill x2 seems to have more of an advantage) are the real benefit. 

Curious if anyone notices skills playing out at a much stronger level when manually playing vs. autoplay. One of my mid-level to lower rated guys has the highest combined skills ratings, and I probably hit more home runs with him than anyone. I've moved him up to higher rounds and the results are pretty consistent, but only when I'm playing. The autoplay results aren't good. 
  • Superapids135Superapids135 Registered Users 368 Posts
    I focus on hit and skills. I like R L RISP WOH and late inning. Man on base too. I have a few double WOh or Late or R and those are at the top esp on my B hitters
    I believe there's a threshold for each pitcher in terms of where you need your 'hit' to be. If your bat is able to reach the ideal number(again, it varies), then power becomes more important. For example, let's say 200 hit is the ideal number, right? If I have a guy with a hit of 225 and power of 200, someone with a hit of 205 and power of 225 would likely be more successful in that situation. 

Speaking of power, it's worth noting that there's a considerable jump in extra base hits as you move up tiers. I attribute this to both bigger base ratings for the bats and bigger team upgrades.