Are fan rewards worth it?

marcoslomarcoslo Registered Users, Member 393 Posts
Im still relatively new to playing this game, so
 wondering if the spending the 5k gold is worth it to get Kyle Seager. I have 3 prime players already, is he worth the gold and prime? Or should I just wait ?

Comments

• marcoslomarcoslo Registered Users, Member 393 Posts
    I also would like others to ask questions about fan rewards but this is my question
  • matt_sackettmatt_sackett Registered Users, Member 1,540 Posts
    I think so, Look at it this way, you're going to spend the gold anyway why not get a little sumpin sumpin as you go, Last night for instance, I pulled Tim Anderson when the rewards box went up "early" (in gluspeak an intern posted it in accident) I dig it, its just remembering to Wait on it that sometimes kicks you in the junk.
    Nothing in life is as beautiful as the Balsamic thread.

• bayoubengalbayoubengal Registered Users, Member 981 Posts
    I normally chase the 2.5k boxes unless there is a player that I “need” or can level.  Seager being a 390 with better primes coming (hopefully) I am not spending up.  
    First, congrats on not being the 1st person to ask this question.
  • Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts
    edited August 2019
    You have to look at the whole picture: 5k gold gets you 25k blue cash, 10 Evo, 3k pxp, 2 HOF boxes, 1 POTW boxes and a 390-max prime 3B EDIT: plus whatever you buy with the 5k gold (POTM and HOF boxes). 

The big thing is you have chances to get better players in the boxes you'd buy, so it's more reasonable to look at it as you're getting a guaranteed player on top of the several boxes you'd be paying for. I don't think he's worth 5k gold in the market, but as an add-on, he'll have value for a lot of teams lower than the @retirepujols level. 

Whether that's worth it or not is going to depend entirely on you, your team, your gold resources, how quickly you can replenish it, and so on. There will be better players, but you don't know when, and you won't have control over the position. You also don't get better players by waiting for better players. It's all dependent on how you want to use your resources. Just know that you will have to spend resources (namely gold) to get them. 
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,856 Posts
    ^ plus whatever you buy with the 5k gold
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
    Looking at the boxes, I don’t care for the players I’m them so I’m saving my gold. It’s not worth it for me to get a 390 third baseman
  • WaveburnerWaveburner Registered Users, Member 290 Posts
    All a matter of perspective. I usually never bother with fan rewards beyond the free boxes but I was planning to buy mega pxp boxes today anyways. Especially now that my stadium leveling isn't turned off, as a casual player with only 3 levelled prime hitters, getting a guaranteed lefty with perfect walk off skills and high hit rate for only 5k gold seems like a steal.
    Yes he is only 390, but it will take at least 2 or 3 weeks before we start seeing max 410/420 primes with ideal stacking skills and high hit rating with low speed. Maybe longer.
    Sure I could wait but Seager kicks ass and I already maxed my Mariners pennants when I was a noob lol so that's a small bonus too.

To me the "worth it" question always depends on how many resources you have, your current roster, how often you play and what events you play the most.
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    The resources in fan rewards, combined with the ability to double dip with the stadium on Weds, makes it a slam dunk imo. Personally, I always do at least the 2.5k tier and often, much higher. I generally don't care for the player, but it's a great way to accrue resources. 
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
    I don’t spend money on the game so my incentives are very different lol
  • bayoubengalbayoubengal Registered Users, Member 981 Posts
    @marcoslo I don’t spend either.  I usually try to save 2.5k for fan rewards on Wednesday and due I gotta the weekend for the free boxes. That’s about all they boxes I do and save my gold for leveling players
    First, congrats on not being the 1st person to ask this question.
  • bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    This guy was the fan reward a week ago.....I was spending and found myself in the neighborhood so knuckles down and bought some mega pxp boxes I needed anyway.  Useful on WOH Royale lv 5 where more lefty bats the merrier.  Can’t be mad at his skills or hit rating.
  • Superapids135Superapids135 Registered Users 368 Posts
    I go for the 2.5 reward since I can often pull something from that to atleast give me a CvC bonus and then pull more. At most I’ll go for the 5k guy since it’s a guarantee. Not much is guaranteed w glu so I’d jump on it when u got double gold videos 
  • Scioscia_FanScioscia_Fan Registered Users, Member 266 Posts
    I always hit the 2.5K rewards at minimum. 5K rewards dependent on the reward itself or how close I am to it from leveling players or gold spent on cvc. The 2.5K rewards are always great.
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Lately, I've been saving my gold up and spending it during Wed's fan rewards. Usually, the player reward is worthless for me, but the resources have been solid all year. Being able to double dip has been great and for the time being, it's the most reasonable way to acquire lxp.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    edited August 2019
    Unfortunately with the lack of any premium XP in WOH, the best way to get chunks of it is to buy the Mega XP boxes during fan rewards. Yesterday I bought all 40 of them for 20k gold and then bought boxes for the other 5k to get me to the big Prime XP fan reward. Looks like I netted about 250k Prime XP from that and whatever else I accomplished yesterday (we finished 1st in event, so that helped).

But, that's a lot of gold to blow too. I can't do that every Wednesday. They need to throw us diamond players a bone. It takes 9 times the amount of Prime XP to level than it does gold players. I'm not saying give us 9x the XP, but even if they made it double or something, that would help a lot. Might be way too much to ask at this stage.
  • ZaneJ78ZaneJ78 Registered Users, Member 369 Posts
    Fan rewards always suck me in. I spend to the 2.5k gold. But my mind always forces me to the 5k tier for some reason... I have no self control..
    Need more Living Legends!
  • slafrance2slafrance2 Registered Users, Member 1,370 Posts
    edited August 2019
    @ZaneJ78 im with you on that lol, but with the consistent double gold im ok with it
  • MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts

They should just go back to letting you draft a player at your level in the game.  Then if they want, they can increase the cost of going from Diamond 1 to Diamond 2, etc.

If they keep up at this rate, legends will be useless to anyone above silver (maybe gold), and players at the higher levels will just give up on chasing legends altogether.  For me, it's been 8 days since I pulled Edgar Martinez, and I only have him to Silver 7.  Factoring in the much higher cost of leveling players at the gold tier compared to silver, it will likely take me a month to level Edgar.  (Much longer if I decide to go platinum or diamond.) As a result, I have no desire at all to land another legend, and won't spend to acquire one.