Marketing Team/Finance Team..... Look at the Calendar!

ORBBIRDSORBBIRDS Registered Users, Member 112 Posts
With the forthcoming Fantasy Football season, and the online apps and "for-pay" games associated with the NFL, one would think that Tap Baseball would have relaxed certain things, in order to divert hybrid baseball-football fans back to the tap baseball app during this time....
Instead, my entire club, and our acquaintances in several other clubs had......well, let's just say a very frustrating Friday.

Poor timing, in front of the most lucrative sports/app/"for-pay" endeavor on the market.... By NFL pre-season game 2-3, volume and activity slows even more.
Just an observation,
Orb74

Comments

• Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts
    I get what you're saying, but do you think it's a sound business strategy to try to compete with Fantasy Football? What do you think they can do to prevent attention going to Fantasy this time of the year? Besides, we have no idea what the numbers are. They might have made exactly what they planned to make for all we know. 
  • BlackFang4BlackFang4 Registered Users, Member 515 Posts
    Something as big as fantasy football won't be overtaken by a baseball game, a little one at that. There is no sense in competing against the likes of fantasy football; it's just too popular and it had a much larger, active fanbase.
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    edited August 2019
    I don't think he's saying they should try to compete with fantasy football, I think he's saying they should do more to try and keep current players from completely abandoning the game. There isn't a whole lot of incentive to stay, and I personally don't see myself trying in another weekend event ever again 😁 why spend a million gold chasing 4,000 bonus players for a weekend event? But that's just me 🤷🏻‍♂️
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
    Well, in that case he's totally right. There's currently nothing in this game that excites or intrests me. I'm just holding out for something that does.
    Maybe he didn't, @retirepujols, but I'm going off "...in order to divert hybrid baseball-football fans back to the tap baseball app during this time..." If the suggestion isn't "they should offer something to win over the attention of those leaving to play Fantasy Football," I don't understand the message. Or maybe I'd understand it better if there was literally nothing to play for this weekend -- as in, no new players or boxes of any kind. 

It's not like the developers operate in the same currency we do. They still have to build out those players, and everything that goes with it, whether they're bonus players, bxp, Prime or 2019 Albert Pujols (really looking forward to the release of the 55/75/4 hit/pwr/spd Pujols released in your honor). 

Again, though, none of us has a realistic sense of any sort of revenue or participation count from this weekend, or any other time, really. My point is simply that there isn't a solid business reason for trying to change anything because there's likely a large portion of audience giving more of their attention to America's real past time. I don't think much would change that, and I'm sure they've seen a drop in participation come August every year they've put this game out. 
  • EbiggzEbiggz Registered Users, Member 282 Posts
    I'll be the one sitting back playing TSB on my phone while following fantasy on my tablet. All gravy over here, baby. 😂😂
    ~UNAGI~
  • BOZZCOBOZZCO Registered Users, Member 102 Posts
    I think his point is to bump up the pxp and lxp given away to make people feel like they have a chance at upgrading some of the players they get in box’s.  I get boxes with marginal players but why bother getting excited when I can’t level any of them. It’s even worse when your diamond.  As far as prime games ...you can drop a few bronze 1 in your line up and pull some points, but why bother if you want to compete it cost a ton of gold... better to spend on the mega prime pack.  It’s my humble opinion that the rewards should be multiplied by 10.  It’s not like we will take them else where it’s game based anyway. Then we can chase players cause we have resources and glu’s revenue keeps chugging along.   There are players I really want this weekend but won’t bother because I have very little pxp or lxp.
    "I think his point is to bump up the pxp and lxp given away to make people feel like they have a chance at upgrading some of the players they get in box’s." -- Why bring up Fantasy Football at all then? It's the same point that's been made involving different forms of xp over the last few months. 

"It’s my humble opinion that the rewards should be multiplied by 10.  It’s not like we will take them else where it’s game based anyway. Then we can chase players cause we have resources and glu’s revenue keeps chugging along."  -- Love this point and agree with it. However, my fear is, as Glu has done many times before, they'll meet us halfway. We'll just only get xp from boxes. Like, when I buy six boxes really needing bxp and pxp, I get 5 boxes of lxp -- useless for a f2p player who doesn't have a legend and struggles having resources to level ANY player. But I can't say I haven't gotten any lxp! It's just that, without a player and in a quantity short of 10s of thousands, I don't really need any right now. 

• mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    @mythicaldragon you see how much homescapes and gardenscapes is making from the ads we've been watching?
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    They get theirs I get my gold I’m ok with it😉 But...I feed her the chicken 🍗 and she’s happy for a sec.. damn bird takes the scarf 🧣 every time and that guy⬆️ always ends up an ice cube.. I can’t win! WTH? 😱
  • bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    LOL.....another post about what the developers SHOULD be doing from purely a self interest/self serving standpoint masquerading as sage business wisdom.  the fact that we have a lot invested (literally) in the business decisions of GLU translates into an overly biased viewpoint from the POV of us, the consumer.......I totally get that since I’d like better box odds, more pxp, long periods of double gold videos, difficulty ratings eased on HOF and for dkarski87 to hook everyone up with VIP badges for three gifts (this part is real, hit him up and ask for your badge).  In the end it all translates to just complaining.  You don’t tell another man how to mow their yard.  

Anyway, point two I’d like to make is that there are casual players and then the core group that most who bother to join a forum dedicated to the game would fall into.  For me it’s clear to see that we are being treated like addicts that we are;  don’t take it lightly, read the breathless posts of those who are “forced” to take a step back from the game then days, weeks or months later get sucked back in. Look at the amounts of cash being spent;  there is something going on here and that going on is a form of gambling and resulting addictions associated with it.  GLU knows this and does not worry too much about calendars, discounts or other programs some of us feel they need to call out.  They know that once we have the hook we will just keep getting deeper, that they can give out freebies and maintain plentiful levels then create shortages to drive up demand and sales.  And we get sucked in again and again.  They are constantly tinkering to see how much they can get away with before trends turn negative then they backup a smidge and move onto the next promotion package, box or subscription.  They work VERY hard at headquarters, just they are following some 1950s consumer idealism centered around “the customer is always right” philosophy but rather around the science of focus groups, psychology of different number combinations and appealing/feeding base desire which is the core of addiction.  

Dont like it?  Don’t like what I say?  Try to walk away and tell me if you can.........

......just sayin’.......
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    I hate you @bigvivec
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
    I can't help but notice that their stock is the lowest it's been since April of 2018. 
    Thanks again dkarski87!   ;)
    For all the armshair market analysts.......here is a group of cartoon formatted quarterly reports dating back to the start of 2018.  No evidence of mis management or market ignorance......they are making out like carpetbaggers.  You may not like their methods but it is clear that this is a shrewdly very-much-for-profit company that keeps testing limits and product innovations that are well enough received that the statements read as they do.

• dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    Weird, depending on the site you read they've both missed and surpassed quarterly estimates for Q2. Stock did drop 23% however at close August 1st...

Apparently some dispute over the details.......
    @bigvivec @dustyhunks they slashed bookings projections for Q4 and investors bailed, hence the huge drop in stock price despite reasonable reported gains earlier in the year. Seems like they're just adjusting to a planned down period (ie adding new stuff and needing time to get that going). That makes it seem like a larger investor sold his/her stake, and took bookings scheduled for Q4 with him/her. 
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
     Besides the money stuff, all the hiccups and technical failures over this whole season smells an awful like restructuring or high turnover on the teams that handle backend stuff. Wouldn't you want HoF boxes and legends getting elected to Hall or traded players ACTUALLY be released in boxes around the time those events go down during the MLB season? Lots of delays and not enough testing, though I'm sure they do test...right?!