Team upgrades

EbiggzEbiggz Registered Users, Member 282 Posts
I'm Gold now, but would like to get to diamond.

1st, is it even worth it anymore with the direction Glu seems to be going with players and the extreme lack of pxp available? 

2nd, how important is it to have all team upgrades maxed before jumping to the next level? It's a little over a mil for each upgrade in gold to go from 40 to 60. I still have 9 upgrade in the 40's. Is it smarter to max them all before making the jump? 
~UNAGI~
Prev1

Comments

• DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    1)If you have time and/or if you're willing to grind, I think diamond is the best tier. Sure, it's super difficult to level the latest and greatest players, but as of this writing, glu isn't forcing them on us. I don't have any legends, for example, and I do well in all modes(except SF).

2)The one common denominator I notice from teams that tend to struggle is that they skimp out on team upgrades. In particular, I always suggest prioritizing 'hitting coach.' If you have limited cash, I'd focus on the four woh upgrades(hitting/trainer/clutch/in the zone). The others help some, but are more of a luxury than a necessity. 
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • EbiggzEbiggz Registered Users, Member 282 Posts
    DFBB said:
    1)If you have time and/or if you're willing to grind, I think diamond is the best tier. Sure, it's super difficult to level the latest and greatest players, but as of this writing, glu isn't forcing them on us. I don't have any legends, for example, and I do well in all modes(except SF).

2)The one common denominator I notice from teams that tend to struggle is that they skimp out on team upgrades. In particular, I always suggest prioritizing 'hitting coach.' If you have limited cash, I'd focus on the four woh upgrades(hitting/trainer/clutch/in the zone). The others help some, but are more of a luxury than a necessity. 
    I have my WOH upgrades maxed. I made sure I had enough cash to do that as soon as I went gold and will do that each time I level. 
    ~UNAGI~
  • LudwigMonsterLudwigMonster Registered Users, Member 381 Posts
    edited August 2019
    I wouldn't worry about it, as team upgrades become moot (even if you upgrade the four areas @DFBB mentioned). Even without fully capping those skills, you'll be just fine. Make the jump. Platinum will go super fast and you'll be cycling for free gold for the rest of the year. You'll go from having an endless roster filled with capped 199 players to a more selective and custom lineup, which imho is a lot more fun. 
    I wouldn't worry about it, as team upgrades become moot (even if you upgrade the four areas @DFBB mentioned). Even without fully capping those skills, you'll be just fine. Make the jump. Platinum will go super fast and you'll be cycling for free gold for the rest of the year. You'll go from having an endless roster filled with capped 199 players to a more selective and custom lineup, which imho is a lot more fun. 
    I think I have a pretty decent squad now, so I shouldn't have an issue with players. Will have to dump a couple primes, which I'm fine with. 
    ~UNAGI~
  • mwilson829mwilson829 Registered Users, Member 364 Posts
    @LudwigMonster When moving to diamond, how many bats does one need to cap (or bring to some other level within diamond) to be able to cycle Monday classic with relative ease?  I have a lineup full of P.10 guys and can cycle to my heart's content in platinum, but I want to start building resources for a jump to diamond.  I just want to make sure I can bring up enough bats that I'll be able to use WOH to cycle cap new players and build more BXP to fill out the rest of my lineup once in diamond.
    edited August 2019
    Ebiggz said:
    I think I have a pretty decent squad now, so I shouldn't have an issue with players. Will have to dump a couple primes, which I'm fine with. 
    It's the first thing I did prior to making the jump to diamond myself. Gutted my team of pretty much every 340 and below hitter and pitcher not in my starting rotation (minus a couple backups here or there). It forces you to make tougher decisions about your starting lineup and what you spend xp on.
    @LudwigMonster When moving to diamond, how many bats does one need to cap (or bring to some other level within diamond) to be able to cycle Monday classic with relative ease?  I have a lineup full of P.10 guys and can cycle to my heart's content in platinum, but I want to start building resources for a jump to diamond.  I just want to make sure I can bring up enough bats that I'll be able to use WOH to cycle cap new players and build more BXP to fill out the rest of my lineup once in diamond.
    I'd focus on your top 4 hitters (2 RHB & 2 LHB's) for WoH. I don't remember exactly but I believe I brought my top 2 hitters to d5 immediately and my 3rd best hitter to d3 (or something close to that) to start with. I also upped my ace pitcher to d1 just to throw into those bonus games when I matched up against the tougher pitchers/teams.

Using the above method, I was still able to continue cycling WoH on monday's after moving to diamond.

It's the first thing I did prior to making the jump to diamond myself. Gutted my team of pretty much every 340 and below hitter and pitcher not in my starting rotation (minus a couple backups here or there). It forces you to make tougher decisions about your starting lineup and what you spend xp on.
    I have no bxp players below 350. I'll have to choose wisely between which primes I want to take, though.
    ~UNAGI~
  • bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    Ebiggz said:
    I have no bxp players below 350. I'll have to choose wisely between which primes I want to take, though.
    I can make that easy for you......don’t take any.

Unless you’re really ready to open your wallet the only quasi practical way to employ primes at diamond level at levels that they are better than bxp counterparts (D7 up) is to either level at 50% off on the weekend or to cycle cap.  

Get out a calculator and practical logic will become apparent.  
    edited August 2019
    bigvivec said:
    Ebiggz said:

Unless you’re really ready to open your wallet the only quasi practical way to employ primes at diamond level at levels that they are better than bxp counterparts (D7 up) is to either level at 50% off on the weekend or to cycle cap.  

I'm doing the math now for everything. 135,200 just to take one prime to P10 from G10. 😮😵. Thankfully I have maxed 350 backups for all my primes.

Edit. The 135,200 number is factoring in FP discount. 
    ~UNAGI~
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    A "good" time to move up to diamond is on a weekend where you have loads of gold and pxp, and the box primes are awesome with desirable skills. Use the gold for the boxes to get the good ones, jump to a discount club to get 50% off (of course you'll have field pass for this) to level those primeS. Two d10 prime bats would be a great way to start your diamond journey, in addition to some bxp guys. How realistic is that? It's probably possible. 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
    Ebiggz said:
    bigvivec said:
    Ebiggz said:

I'm doing the math now for everything. 135,200 just to take one prime to P10 from G10. 😮😵. Thankfully I have maxed 350 backups for all my primes. 
    Factor this....new weekend player using FP and full 0.3 discounts - 137,525 B1 to capped P10.  
  • Base15Base15 Registered Users 504 Posts
    For some reason I hadn’t until just now figured out that making PXP scarce is a good way to push people toward buying FP. 

It's going to be tough leaving these guys behind. Especially Bell, he's been so good to me. 😢
    ~UNAGI~
    Same price for cutting edge current primes.....just remind yourself of that.  

Plus you can still use all those guys while boosting the bxp’s and you remain competitive.  
    bigvivec said:
    Same price for cutting edge current primes.....just remind yourself of that.  

Plus you can still use all those guys while boosting the bxp’s and you remain competitive.  
    I don't plan on jumping until I have resources to max all my bxp players. I'm good at hoarding resources when I'm making a jump to the next tier. I'm almost there, though. 
    ~UNAGI~
    It’s overkill and time wasted as you’d be able to stack resources faster once you level up.....each cycle on Monday will yield more xp at the next level so going up with enough to still cycle quickly will mean you can drag up the rest quicker.  
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
     @Ebiggz What do you have for resources now? Im making jump Labor Day weekend and have 2.4mil cash, 321k bxp, 19k pxp, 835 evo. I made over 2mil cash and 200k bxp last Monday so assume I will have a similar net next week. If I dont, screw it. Its time. 
     @Ebiggz What do you have for resources now? Im making jump Labor Day weekend and have 2.4mil cash, 321k bxp, 19k pxp, 835 evo. I made over 2mil cash and 200k bxp last Monday so assume I will have a similar net next week. If I dont, screw it. Its time. 

Not too bad. I have OCD really bad and that keeps me from jumping until I can max all my starters. Maybe I'll try to push through it and jump this weekend, lol. 
    ~UNAGI~
    Don’t forget you get a lot of cash thru loyalty boxes doing the level ups, evo sits out in TSB cyberspace for the taking......for a diamond jump I’d be wary of Mon and whether we’ve reached the end of easy bxp or not.  Otherwise go all in!  
  • bayoubengalbayoubengal Registered Users, Member 981 Posts
    Just FYI with the new lineup I don’t know if having 2 and 2 at d5 will be good.  I am having the problem now.  With level 5.8-5.10 needing lefty batters 
    First, congrats on not being the 1st person to ask this question.
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    Ebiggz said:

Not too bad. I have OCD really bad and that keeps me from jumping until I can max all my starters. Maybe I'll try to push through it and jump this weekend, lol. 

My plan is to wait until Fan Rewards next Friday, go diamond, bump Jon & Sonny Gray to D1 and see what games are like with that minimal upgrade. If they're okay, grind through to D2 and then drop gold on weekend boxes and keep grinding through diamond tiers. Not until mega pxp box is released (was in afternoon last Sunday) will I start leveling new players, unless of course I have to. Ideally I would have at least 1 prime at D10 entering Monday with by 2 best bxp bats capped as well and/or 2 better bxp bats (if offered that weekend) capped. Worst case I figure I can get All-Star Prime Xander to D5 with mega pxp boxes and best lefty capped. If Labor Day WoH is like this past Monday I should be golden. If not then I'll just keep grinding and spending til I do. Sitting on 3300 BG's currently so no need for tournaments for at least a week.
    @Ebiggz You have more than twice as much bxp that I did when I made the jump. You'll be fine.
  • bayoubengalbayoubengal Registered Users, Member 981 Posts
    But Ludwig woh is different from when you made the jump. Trust me I made it last week and it’s difficult. I didn’t have the right rss to level the right people 
    First, congrats on not being the 1st person to ask this question.
    But Ludwig woh is different from when you made the jump. Trust me I made it last week and it’s difficult. I didn’t have the right rss to level the right people 
    That's a very valid point.
    Big reason I'm waiting until I get enough bxp to level all or 80%, not including relievers for now, of my players to P10. Only need 400k more to level everyone but relievers. 
    ~UNAGI~
  • tribeguy2147tribeguy2147 Registered Users, Member 170 Posts
    so do I even want to know what the gold cost is to keep leveling up my hitting upgrades
    @Tdub71 When it's on 'sale,' it's 49.5k gold from 85 to 100. 
  • tribeguy2147tribeguy2147 Registered Users, Member 170 Posts
    @DFBB. So when it's on sale it's the gold part that's cheaper. Cause I've always wondered y it's the same price in cash weather it's on sale or not. Geeze. 50k gold. Ughhh
    @DFBB. So when it's on sale it's the gold part that's cheaper. Cause I've always wondered y it's the same price in cash weather it's on sale or not. Geeze. 50k gold. Ughhh
    Yup!