Dilemma with Levelling Up A Legend...

blueprintsblueprints Registered Users, Member 96 Posts
I know it's better to finish levelling up a player one at a time instead of slowly moving up every player but I've run into a dilemma...

Last week I got Legend Gary Carter who is an absolute beast and I'm slowly levelling him up since LXP is so hard to come by. He's currently at S6 and skills are double-RISP. So while he's super useful because of his pure hit rating and power, he doesn't help in the final rounds of WoH HOF or Battle Royale.

Now the dilemma - I just got Legend Steve Garvey who instantly becomes my best player (once fully levelled). At G10, he would be around 293 Hit / 280 Power with double-LHP skills and he's a Righty. Now I'm trying to decide if I should continue levelling Gary Carter until G10 or stop and start levelling Steve Garvey. I'm currently sitting on 11K LXP.

Thoughts?

Comments

• BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    edited August 2019
    Stop and don’t level either. 

Leveling is like the warped wall in American Ninja Warrior. S6 seems like half way to G10, but in reality it is about 15% of the way. 

Wait until you can truly level a legend before starting and you may have a better option by then 
  • Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts

Leveling is like the warped wall in American Ninja Warrior. S6 seems like half way to G10, but in reality it is about 15% of the way. 

Wait until you can truly level a legend before starting and you may have a better option by then 
    WWHHHEEEEeeee....!! What FUN, Glu! The (wise and defensible) advice being given here is "don't do anything with the player you have a 1 percent chance of getting because by the time you can build him to the level he's meant to be played at, you might have better ones -- thus negating the point of getting the player in the first place." 

Did you people have toys growing up?? 
    Cooz19 said:

WWHHHEEEEeeee....!! What FUN, Glu! The (wise and defensible) advice being given here is "don't do anything with the player you have a 1 percent chance of getting because by the time you can build him to the level he's meant to be played at, you might have better ones -- thus negating the point of getting the player in the first place." 

A stick. It’s in the toy hall of fame. I played with it until a storm gave me a bigger stick from the big tree in my yard to play with.  
  • bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    edited August 2019

Agree 100%. Prime and legend “projects” are negative ventures in that once you start you feel like you can’t stop and the time you’re done better options exist.  For gold 10, halfway point is gold 4.  Best advice is to not level a legend or prime until you can cap in the space of the weekend, and only level primes and legends from the weekend so that you can take the 50% off bonus of a 0.3 club and field pass discount.  If you can’t do it immediately or in a day or two then just don’t and bank the xp for when you can.  In that way the player you level will be relevant longer.  
    Cooz19 said:

I finally figured out the best way to equate this phrase to TSB. It’s simply “batteries not included”. If you got a game boy, it was worthless without 4 AA batteries. Gotta have the batteries before you can play with the new toy 
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    I finally figured out the best way to equate this phrase to TSB. It’s simply “batteries not included”. If you got a game boy, it was worthless without 4 AA batteries. Gotta have the batteries before you can play with the new toy 
    Those batteries will run you 80k gold 😉
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
    Those batteries will run you 80k gold 😉
    And that’s why I gave away all the games to the game boy and found a new toy to play with 
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    Agree 100% with @Bigpredfan  Especially if you are gold or higher.  I wouldnt start leveling them until you can get close to capping them.
    Although I will say often dont play in Tuesday or Weekend events so the advice comes with a grain of salt.  I just think resources especially pxp and lxp are the most valuable commodities in the game.
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    If you're currently sitting on 11k lxp, it's likely not worth it for you to make the necessary investment to cap either player. I haven't been gold for awhile, but the game simply isn't forcing us to have legends at this point. And that's after factoring the difficulty bump this past week. That considered, it should be a bit easier to exercise some patience. I'd save up the lxp. It takes 107k lxp to cap from b1. Obviously weekends and FP will take that number down significantly. If it were me, that would be my focus and by the time you reach that magic number, you're likely to get a new shiny legend that's even better.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • bayoubengalbayoubengal Registered Users, Member 981 Posts
    To me, honestly, the event itself doesn't mean anything unless you are in a "top" club.  the rewards are not that great. So I really don't "participate" in the event itself.  Just use my bg's for just that and play tournaments when I need bg's.  WOH is for resources not the rewards.
    First, congrats on not being the 1st person to ask this question.
  • matt_sackettmatt_sackett Registered Users, Member 1,540 Posts
    .....is suddenly really really glad he doesn't have a legend.

Now what to do with these 15 primes..
    Nothing in life is as beautiful as the Balsamic thread.

• MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts

I have three legends, and made the mistake of "working" on my first one, leveling Edgar to Silver 8.  Then I got Sax and took him to Silver 2 to help with WOH points.  Then I got Garvey yesterday, and took him to Bronze 8, again because he wasn't scoring any points at all when he was just Bronze 1.  I'm in Gold, so I have a long way to go until Gold 10. 

It's super frustrating.  I'm toying with trading in all my legends and saving up 110K so I can level one all the way.  Given that all my best bats are righties now, I'll probably wait for a lefty legend and then cap him instantly. 

Glu has taken all the fun out of legends, in my opinion.  I would much rather pull a 420 lefty prime than a legend--at least the prime I can level in the space of about a week, sometimes less depending on if I use a discount.

• Boston0714Boston0714 Registered Users, Member 168 Posts
    DFBB said:
    If you're currently sitting on 11k lxp, it's likely not worth it for you to make the necessary investment to cap either player. I haven't been gold for awhile, but the game simply isn't forcing us to have legends at this point. And that's after factoring the difficulty bump this past week. That considered, it should be a bit easier to exercise some patience. I'd save up the lxp. It takes 107k lxp to cap from b1. Obviously weekends and FP will take that number down significantly. If it were me, that would be my focus and by the time you reach that magic number, you're likely to get a new shiny legend that's even better.
    Is the 107k to G10 or all the way D10?
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    @Boston0714 107k is from b1 to g10.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Boston0714Boston0714 Registered Users, Member 168 Posts
    @DFBB yeah I will be saving for a little while then, unless I see one that I feel like I just have to have.