Skills During WoH (I know, I know)

More2Most2FirstMore2Most2First Registered Users, Member 777 Posts
edited August 2019 in General TSB Discussion
I know this has been discussed at length and there is no concrete evidence as to whether they stay the same (activated / deactivated) as the start of the round or activate / deactivate according to the changing situations.

However, I noticed something today when I was playing 5.8, with McMahon double WoH skills.  He of course showed both skills active when the round started and with the boosted rating.  Yet, on my first pitch, of my 2nd AB, I hit a single and the well known text “Great Hitting” popped on the screen.  The interesting thing is it said “Great Hitting 392”.  392 is McMahon’s non-boosted hit rating 🤔

Previously, I believed that skills activated based on changing situations, but now I’m not so sure they stay active at all past the first AB of a round?!!!

Any insight is encouraged.

Comments

• mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    I agree I’m not so sure skills aren’t just a placebo 😕
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    Also note that even after boosting a player with gold or video the screen that shows stats for batter vs. pitcher only has 'Boosted' in green under batter with no change to batter stats. I don't think that matters and is just what the hard-coded value is for the player. I'm in the 'skills stay what they are at start of AB/round' camp.
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Also note that even after boosting a player with gold or video the screen that shows stats for batter vs. pitcher only has 'Boosted' in green under batter with no change to batter stats. 
    I believe that's a bug with non woh/cvc modes. It's unfortunate and super, super annoying. 

If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • More2Most2FirstMore2Most2First Registered Users, Member 777 Posts
    Thanks for all the input guys!  I suppose it will forever remain a mystery.  All that really matters is winning/losing each round and I’ve found that certain batters just do better against certain pitchers - regardless of platoon/skills advantages.

For instance, my All-Star Trout seems to not care if it’s RHP he’s facing, he tends to mash everything 😂

Nothing compares to experience, that’s my ultimate motto for WoH.  That’s not to say that the advice I’ve received on these forums wasn’t vital, it absolutely was.  I just believe that with all the variables that are present and different for each player, the experience is the most invaluable.
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    Yeah I see that pop up all the time. Scoscia’s pops up at 502 every time and his skills are always active so that hit rating that is displayed is just the base rating. So not evidence one way or another of skills being on or off.
  • More2Most2FirstMore2Most2First Registered Users, Member 777 Posts
    Nice, I got my first official disagree on my OP!  Hahahahaha
  • ReadingFightingPhilsReadingFightingPhils Registered Users, Member 305 Posts
    JEDDDOGGY said:
    Yeah I see that pop up all the time. Scoscia’s pops up at 502 every time and his skills are always active so that hit rating that is displayed is just the base rating. So not evidence one way or another of skills being on or off.
    Has Scoscia been as good as expected?
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts

He's been very good but loses some inexplicable matches like yesterday once on 2.10 for example. LOL. It happens though.
  • bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    The more I think about it the more I am convinced that the opening scenario and the resulting skills that are/are not activated holds for the entire AB without changing.  What just occurred to me for all of you who cycle a lot.....most times from the first at bat in a round I know if I got a good script or not.  Sometimes I’ll get surprised and call it wrong, but alot of times after the first at bat I can nearly call the results of each at bat thru the round.  That would/should not happen when I have a player whose skills switch on and off since the additional set of variables would add notable variance which just doesn’t happen.  
  • bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    edited August 2019
    JEDDDOGGY said:

He's been very good but loses some inexplicable matches like yesterday once on 2.10 for example. LOL. It happens though.
    I think that was the programming, not the game.  I cycled three times without a loss in any round and then lost on 2.6 and 2.10....happened later in the day on different rounds as well.....absolutely cruising and get sucker punched on those two.  
  • MoenPDCMoenPDC Registered Users, Member 615 Posts
    I should have Scocia capped for Mondays WOH, I cant WAIT
  • redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    I had a day where I’ve cycled classic 25 times and have had losses on 1.1, think it’s a percentile thing where a matchup might be a 99% win and the 1% happens.  I’ve also when I’ve slow played have one star scrubs inexplicably win matchups they should lose 100% of the time.
  • TheFullMonteTheFullMonte Registered Users, Member 1,589 Posts
    Bumping an old one to see what people think about the Double WOH skill.  This would seem almost too good to be true for those Prime's we use as table setters for the Finishers.  is there reason to believe the coding has been fixed, and this skill actually works as intended?
  • criffycriffy Registered Users, Member 625 Posts
    Bumping an old one to see what people think about the Double WOH skill.  This would seem almost too good to be true for those Prime's we use as table setters for the Finishers.  is there reason to believe the coding has been fixed, and this skill actually works as intended?
    rizzuto was awesome for me for months. have him leveled up to 16/16, but this week he found the inactives for me. think he might be traded in now (have a 500 ernie banks i use where i would have previously used him... early in sim rounds)
  • riblessx5riblessx5 Registered Users, Member 18 Posts
    I keep a handful of switch hitters but primarily would a first pitch hit better or what is top 3 for a batter to use?
  • MarcuhMarcuh Registered Users, Member 227 Posts
    I’ve had one star guys in my line up (due to manipulating season mode, which works great by the way) beat pitchers who are 3 times their overall rank. It’s an unexplainable algorithm in my opinion. 
  • topdogtopdog Registered Users, Member 13 Posts
    It's funny because I couldn't cycle in classic but cycled multiple times in all-star with same players but have yet to beat hof. Stay tuned lol