Bonus games/Tournaments

bayoubengalbayoubengal Registered Users, Member 981 Posts
This is a question for those that power though bonus games and tournaments.

What is a good ratio of bonus games to tournaments played.  Yesterday I was walking though bonus games and decided to give tournaments a shot.  I did fairly well for the first few and then *bam* 5 tournaments in a row getting smoked on the first game with video boost.  I went back to bonus games and it was ok.

This morning I have been playing tournaments and have won 12 so far and lost 3  in the last game.  Maybe they up the rng against other players for royal, is one of my thoughts.  But the main question is what the best ratio you guys find?
First, congrats on not being the 1st person to ask this question.
Prev1

Comments

• effschmoo2effschmoo2 Registered Users, Member 184 Posts
    edited August 2019
    @bayoubengal I just try to keep my blue cash at around 3 million and a bonus game balance of about 1000. Usually play tournaments all weekend and open all the boxes when I run low on cash. Then play bonus games until I get down to 1000 or so and then switch back to tournaments again. When I get low on both I donate to the club to get more cash. It does seem like tournament losses come in bunches though. 

Edit: I definitely lose more tournaments during Royale. 
  • titsmcgee95titsmcgee95 Registered Users, Member 41 Posts
    If you play WOH a lot, I think a good ratio is (out of 1000 wins) to do 300 wins from tourneys and 700 wins from bgs. This will leave you with plenty of bgs at all times.
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    edited August 2019
    Making the jump today and was told 100 tourney wins per D6 cycle but am okay with 300. I have over 3500 BG's currently so don't see need for that yet but in my limited tournament experience in platinum I have had mixed results, losing nearly as many as I win. I'm hoping this is not the norm...? Do I need to adjust roster like in season mode to get weaker opponents (for tournament wins)?
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    Tournaments take a little longer, and there's an extra lag introduced during events (at least for Android), so I made a habit of playing tournaments outside of events and bonus games during events. 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    When in diamond i usually try and run roughly 350 tourney games for every cycle (1000 wins).  Your net bonus game and cash loss isnt that bad when you do that.   Since Im a little OCD, ill run one cycle with 300 and the next with 400 to make it a nice round number.
  • More2Most2FirstMore2Most2First Registered Users, Member 777 Posts
    Since I suck at saving resources, I just play my bonus games until they’re gone and then play tournaments until I’m down to a predetermined amount of cash (usually 1 million).  Rinse, repeat, lol.  Probably not the best system, but if I really grind, I can do a few cycles per week.  I definitely try to find hardest on Wednesday (Tourneys & Bonus Games) and Thursday (Bonus Games) because it also helps my club.
  • bayoubengalbayoubengal Registered Users, Member 981 Posts
    When in diamond i usually try and run roughly 350 tourney games for every cycle (1000 wins).  Your net bonus game and cash loss isnt that bad when you do that.   Since Im a little OCD, ill run one cycle with 300 and the next with 400 to make it a nice round number.
    400 tournament games is 100 tournaments if you win all 4 everytime.  hmmmmm
  • LudwigMonsterLudwigMonster Registered Users, Member 381 Posts
    I always keep an eye on the opposing starting pitcher's rating. If he has a higher rating than my starter, I'll use an ice bag to throw in my ace. This method works well for me and I don't have to use it for every tournament. There are rare occasions where the opposing pitcher is just too tough and I end up watching a video or paying the cash to try again. If I can't squeak out a W after a couple retries, I take my lumps and start a brand new tournament.

As far as a ratio, I'd say I win 9 to 10 tournaments for every 1 I end up losing.
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    400 tournament games is 100 tournaments if you win all 4 everytime.  hmmmmm
    Yea, could be overkill but its what works for me once i got established.  I'd say if you are struggling in tourney's but do ok in bonus games, try having your ace pitcher pitch every tournament game.  Meaning play a tourny game, play 4 bonus games and repeat.  Seems tedious but it will give you a better chance to make sure your 30K cash isnt getting wasted and you wont have to burn ice
  • 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    I would say that 300 of my wins come from tourneys and 700 from bonus games. I break it up a little so I’m not doing the same thing all day. I might get 1000 games in today but the weather it beautiful and I want to enjoy it.  
  • matt_sackettmatt_sackett Registered Users, Member 1,540 Posts
    I got to GOAT Diamond monday and I have no games at the moment 449 of my 650 evo and my gold is gone..(sigh) grind time again
    Nothing in life is as beautiful as the Balsamic thread.

Welcome to the grind brother
  • BigburgBigburg Registered Users, Member 150 Posts
    I'm getting crushed in bonus games.  Seems like 2 out of 3 games are against platinum or diamond teams and I'm only at Gold V.  TS is about 100k, but playing teams with TS of 140k+.  Any thoughts on why this is happening?
  • 8ball028ball02 Registered Users, Member 130 Posts
    Bigburg said:
    I'm getting crushed in bonus games.  Seems like 2 out of 3 games are against platinum or diamond teams and I'm only at Gold V.  TS is about 100k, but playing teams with TS of 140k+.  Any thoughts on why this is happening?
    Interesting... didnt think that would happen or at least I dont remember playing non current tier teams until I reached level VI and then I would face teams of the next tier but if I remember correctly they had similar TS.  How big of a sample size are we talking about?  Theres some ways to combat it, the biggest being trying to reduce your team strength in relievers to hopefully pull lower teams.
  • EbiggzEbiggz Registered Users, Member 282 Posts
    Bigburg said:
    Once you hit a certain win threshold, glu puts you against higher teams. That's their way of getting you to move up. 
    ~UNAGI~
  • tribeguy2147tribeguy2147 Registered Users, Member 170 Posts
    I'm certainly finding that when I play tourneys on Wednesday I get my butt kicked. I was losing more frequently on my bonus games as well although the opposing team wasnt super strong. Literally once midnight came around I was winning literally every game against the same strength. Than today I start playing bonus games and again it's weird I keep losing alot. Sure I'm still wining some but it's weird how that's happening. But being on last level of diamond and team strength of 106k isnt a good ratio lol
  • RookieTapperRookieTapper Registered Users, Member 160 Posts
    @Bigburg I’m in the same boat. I’m Gold with a team strength of 92K and I’m consistently getting matched up against diamond players with 125K+ team strength. I’ve lost 75% of the bonus games I’ve played today. It’s so frustrating.
    Glu will basically force you to move up and if you do t then bonus games will be harder to win.   Bonus games are usually pretty easy wins in diamond. 
  • redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    2003cobra said:
    Glu will basically force you to move up and if you do t then bonus games will be harder to win.   Bonus games are usually pretty easy wins in diamond. 
    Pretty much this once you’ve gotten a foothold in diamond, I went from losing 20% of my games to literally losing 5-10 games per 1,000.
    Well, I went from Gold V to Gold VI and started crushing teams, even platinum.  It was like I hit a certain number of games for my division and as soon as I went to the next level, boom.
  • Soo_Choo_TrainSoo_Choo_Train Registered Users, Member 160 Posts
    I have set a min of 1mil cash (plus the option to cash in gloves, balls, helmets if I need cash in a pinch), 150 tourney boxes (most likely containing enough bonus games for a D6 cycle), and 1000 bonus games (only need about 700-800 for a diamond cycle).  I play tourneys any time that isn’t WOH Monday or BG Thursday events.
    like @LudwigMonster said, keep an eye on opponent pitchers.  I wasted a lot of games early on just comparing team strength and thinking 30-50K advantage was good enough regardless of opposing pitcher, but that’s not always the case.  Definitely if your TSs are close and they have a better pitcher, I’m throwing my ace who is D10 and an 80 point improvement over my next best P10 guy.  Don’t go crazy with the ice packs, but you do get some back with the tourney boxes.
    In bonus games and tournaments it’s not about team strength.  It’s all about your win loss ratio.  I am in diamond and get matched with diamond, platinum, and gold players.  Usually gold players with high TS have a win loss ratio that the game says your good here is a matchup against “same” caliber.  There is no “bracket” for bonus or tournaments.  
  • redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    Your brackets for division games is as far as I can tell based on wins,  at about 700-800 wins in bronze it was a bit rough, around 1500ish in silver, around 5,000 in gold I started seeing Pillowpants and similar caliber teams when I was a 85k gold team.  I’ve been in that same pool ever since even now that I’m close to 75,000 games played.  If the game gave me matchups based on my win percentage it wouldn’t stay in the .940 range very long.  
    So I guess CS really doesn't know what they are talking about.  Because that was the answer I got from them when I asked the same question there and on here.  The thread is Diamond Tier Reward.  I did not get a screen shot of the message because I clicked "yes" to did that answer all your questions.  It is now gone.  They said it was based off of win percent not TS/Tiers.  Because I was in platinum getting put up against D6 150k+ team strength players when I was 90K
    edited August 2019
    and also let me clarify.  Based on Win & Losses.  Because I am in diamond now and I get put up against Gold players a lot.
    edited August 2019
    I was at 94.7 win percentage when I went diamond yesterday. Currently sitting at 94.8 after around 1600 games played (currently D3). I just faced @Bigburg a minute ago and took a screencap which I'll post soon. Be interested to know what his win count and percentage is.

My stats:
    8749-476 (.948 W%)
    1618-81 (.952 W%) from 1 bg in p6 and 3 rounds of playoffs to get to D3.
    TS around 136-138k

Edit: nevermind, screen does not include TS, thought it did.

and also let me clarify.  Based on Win & Losses.  Because I am in diamond now and I get put up against Gold players a lot.
    The players the game shows you could just be gold though the team is plat or diamond. I go up against some in top clubs with b1 scrub pitchers for bracketing.
    @dustyhunks I'm posting my w/l record after a destructive day yesterday of about 30% win ratio.  BTW, how did I do? LOLOL
    I ran into bigburg yesterday too but his TS was like down in the 60k area  maybe doing season mode???