Starting over

retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,856 Posts

So, I took a few days away from the game and came back in a different way. I've ditched my diamond team (xRPxII) and have started over as a bronze team (xRPx). 

Why post this? Well, I'm going to use this thread as a bit of an experiment for others that may feel overwhelmed/in a rut in their platinum/diamond teams; and who may be on the verge of quitting as a result.

Also, I will be looking for some advice from you guys who are more familiar with the bronze/silver tiers. I've spoken with a bronze team (who is over 100k ts) about cycling WOH,  and he is able to cycle HOF with a few gold boosts in later rounds. Does anyone on here have any experience with WOH in bronze? How about silver? 

Last thing, this is already too long, does anyone think I'll have a chance at slugfest? I've completely ignored slugfest, and I want to give it a shot. Any tips on building up a squad of sluggers to give me a chance would be greatly appreciated! 

Cheers, gents 😁🍻
"It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
Prev1

Comments

• bobdylan_fanbobdylan_fan Registered Users, Member 303 Posts
    My second squad is a silver tier team....team strength roughly 77k. 
    Have a prime, legend, or keeper capped at every position.
    I am able to cycle classic and royale woh without any gold boosts.
    Haven't tried HOF yet - mainly because the ipad it runs on is so old/unstable - trying to use video boosts usually results in a hard crash.
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,856 Posts
    edited August 2019
    Have a prime, legend, or keeper capped at every position.
    I am definitely looking forward to this! Being able to continuously build and upgrade a team seems to be a lot of the fun for me, and I haven't been able to do much of that recently. Has WOH gotten easier for you with the addition of legends and primes, or have you had a similar experience for a while now @bobdylan_fan?
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • Base15Base15 Registered Users 504 Posts
    Starting over is fun. I have a team in silver but I haven’t tried WoH because the iPad is really old. It’s a struggle to get through the one playoff game that I have to play. Since Monday is an off day, I’ll try it and let you know. 
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    @retirepujols Grind vids and buy a ton of sluggers as they're on sale. I'm pretty certain with some gold boosts on lvl 5 you will be able to cycle. You will also win hr battles handily with 5 stars and build up gloves and cash pretty quick. That was all I did in bronze until I was ready to go silver way back when.
    WOH got easier with the release of legends/primes. Got a nice shot of talent with 420 Longoria and Legend Will Clark a few weeks back - and those two guys have put me over the top.
    As always - access to LXP and PXP is scarce - but those free gifts go alot further in silver than they do the higher tiers.
  • ReadingFightingPhilsReadingFightingPhils Registered Users, Member 305 Posts
    I think Silver and Gold is the sweet spots if you like to upgrade all your new players.  You may want to limit the amount of games played if you are staying in a level for a while.  It around 2k for silver until bonus games ramp up difficulty.  When you max out your pennant at silver your cvc team becomes extremely good.  Slugfest is about timing and repetition.  the more you play the better you are.  I found bronze and silver home run battles really easy and cash cows.  It is a great way to get lots of gloves without playing bonus games, which is helpful if you try to limit your bonus games.  
    I like it! I was thinking sf/derby would be my go-to for gloves, and I have NO USE for bonus games/tournaments until I feel like moving up into silver. Good catch with the discounted sluggers @dustyhunks, I'll need to check that out. Are they discounted every weekend similar to gold team upgrades?
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    Best way to build sluggers is to buy second round picks until you have 4-5 4 star players.  First time thru you will need some gold boost but fairly easy to do, timing it with you team bonus will help.

It should take around 500k to get the 4 star players needed.
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
    I'll be primarily using cvc as a means to pull new players (the bxp and pxp is nice as well), so I'm wondering if I should focus my attention on building up sluggers first while slowly accruing new players for my regular team from cvc/free boxes 🤔
    So I've noticed my legend is not available in cash battles? That's extremely unfortunate, I was really counting on that dude being there! Is my legend only available in slugfest itself? What about gold battles?
    Also, even with his max bump his slugging is never boosted, which is a damn shame. I've submitted multiple tickets and it makes zero difference.

• slafrance2slafrance2 Registered Users, Member 1,370 Posts
    Yeah last year I went right to diamond and then joined the forms and saw how much people enjoyed silver/gold more. So this year I’m hanging out in gold for a bit. Have fun @retirepujols
    Thanks @slafrance2, like you and @Base15 mentioned; I'm trying to have fun again, and get away from the game feeling like a job lol. Diamond is great, you just need to be able to dedicate a lot of time consistantly. Plus I think I'm going to enjoy derby, and I never even gave it a chance!
    My main squad is a gold tier team.
    From day 1 of this game I started working on my slugger roster.
    Initially I played cash battles to raise extra blue cash and gloves (which turned into more cash).
    Along the way I got better and better guys - and broke thru slugfest one royale....and never looked back.
    It has become one of my favorite things to do - and really fills in the downtimes. 
    But the best thing - is that I can rack up 15-20k gloves during royale....which helps feed my evo hunting obsession, and has given our club a fast pass in levelling up.

• FrankTheTank04FrankTheTank04 Registered Users, Member 1,093 Posts
    Derby is fun, but I like playing games so that's my opinion.  Playing the game is fun for me.  Clicking auto play on 700 bonus games for a weekend sounds like a chore, or maybe a job where I'm getting paid in dollhairs, not dollars.
    Just no.  
  • EbiggzEbiggz Registered Users, Member 282 Posts
    Slugfest is damn near impossible to play at work.  I also imagine the Android lag makes this difficult as well?
    I did pretty well when I was silver. I cycled slugfest without issue every week. There were some moments were the android lag costed me a few matchups, though.
    ~UNAGI~
  • mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    I can’t speak for bronze much as I didn’t stay bronze long this year. As for silver you will definitely be resource happy with option of having best players. I would work on upgrades and pennants asap i really struggled for wins until they were maxed. I think silver and gold is the sweet spot this year. As for woh I typically spend 500 to 3k gold at most depending on how patient I am that day lol boost on 5-9 5-10 6-9 6-10 with gold retries on 5-10 and 6-10 if needed of course. Try to have 500k blue cash for hof.. I don’t usually spend that much I actually most of the time come out even or a little ahead but u never know what kind of rng hell is waiting lol. I think you are gonna really enjoy being in a lower tier! I’m excited for ya good luck! 🍀👍🏻 
  • Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts
    Derby is fun, but I like playing games so that's my opinion.  Playing the game is fun for me.  Clicking auto play on 700 bonus games for a weekend sounds like a chore, or maybe a job where I'm getting paid in dollhairs, not dollars.
    Glu pays out 7.5 gold per win in diamond. Beats videos any day of the week. It’s painful at times, but saves actual money
    It pays 7,500 gold with 1,000 wins, which is why he pointed out the tediousness of clicking autoplay hundreds of times. If you actually got 7.5 per win, I'd agree. 
    I've made right now 33k gold net since Thursday noon, spending around 12-15k. This does not compare to grinding videos for 42-45k gold. I know cause I've done that too.
  • 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    Dusty you’ve been a cycling madman. Have u showered or eaten or even left the house?
    I've done all of those things, every day even. I installed Wi-Fi in my back yard this summer so there has been much time spent lounging in the shade while tapping during this time. Without going into detail, this has been a perfect storm of a holiday weekend and free time. It's also an experiment so I'm pushing myself and will most likely not ever spend this much time tapping again. Without a doubt though it is better than grinding vids, 100%.
  • 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    Agree 100%. Glad to hear that you’ve showered
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Slugfest is damn near impossible to play at work.  I also imagine the Android lag makes this difficult as well?
    I don't experience any lag during actual game play. It's the loading in between games that takes forever.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    I've made right now 33k gold net since Thursday noon, spending around 12-15k. This does not compare to grinding videos for 42-45k gold. I know cause I've done that too.
    I disagree playing that many games seems mind numbing a lot of tapping in and out of games etc. Videos aren’t that bad as I don’t actually “watch” them I don’t think anyone actually watches them lol. I “play” videos while I’m at work, home, watching tv, mowing the yard, working on the mower. They can constantly play almost no matter what I’m doing tap tap every 30 seconds and I don’t always get to it every 30 seconds it might be a minute or two but it adds up. It just seems easier than grinding games. Games are more labor intensive imo. Anyway we have our opinions likes and dislikes in the end it’s whatever works for you.👍🏻
  • rferg29rferg29 Registered Users, Member 5 Posts
    First played TSB last year and went to platinum and it kept my interest. Last year was about chasing the player, with reasonable access to resources. It became apparent this year that it is about chasing the resources, with loads of interchangeable players available. I stopped at silver; if the game is about resources, it makes no sense to jump to high resource requirements. Overall, chasing players was fun, chasing resources? Not so much.
  • greg24211greg24211 Registered Users, Member 33 Posts
    rferg29 said:
    First played TSB last year and went to platinum and it kept my interest. Last year was about chasing the player, with reasonable access to resources. It became apparent this year that it is about chasing the resources, with loads of interchangeable players available. I stopped at silver; if the game is about resources, it makes no sense to jump to high resource requirements. Overall, chasing players was fun, chasing resources? Not so much.
    yeah i agree. I am gold, and though i'm not in awful shape resource wise bc I win so much plat. CVC for prime XP, I wish I could update new players w/o having regrets
  • greg24211greg24211 Registered Users, Member 33 Posts
    ^^^meaning I think silver is the true sweet spot this year
    I disagree playing that many games seems mind numbing a lot of tapping in and out of games etc. Videos aren’t that bad as I don’t actually “watch” them I don’t think anyone actually watches them lol. I “play” videos while I’m at work, home, watching tv, mowing the yard, working on the mower. They can constantly play almost no matter what I’m doing tap tap every 30 seconds and I don’t always get to it every 30 seconds it might be a minute or two but it adds up. It just seems easier than grinding games. Games are more labor intensive imo. Anyway we have our opinions likes and dislikes in the end it’s whatever works for you.👍🏻
    I hear you and that exact thought occurred to me. I tried watching a show Thursday night which was German with English subtitles and couldn't do it (obviously) cause I had to read. Not sure if I could have grinding vids either but I have done other things while watching vids. Tapping bonus games is considerably more involved. If there's one thing that turns me off to it it will be this as the time to obtain 7500 gold is nothing compared to vids in my experience. Right now I accept that trade-off.

Lol just got a screen-time notification as I was typing this on my laptop that my time was up 20% this week. Ya think?!
    I tried watching a show Thursday night which was German with English subtitles and couldn't do it
    Deutsche filme sind echt scheiße.
    I think the most videos I’ve ever watched was around 450. I couldn’t imagine going that distance...  that’s serious devotion 
    It was in TSB18 during a fan rewards event and double gold weekend thru a Tuesday. I wanted Best in AL West Khris Davis and Legend Kiner. Watched 10k worth of vids in 3 days though it wasn't as bad as it sounds. There was this 5 second Army video at that time that would play over and over for hours at a time it seemed so I was getting 1-2k pretty quickly and only spending it to get to the next level. I got the 30k by Sunday night and then casually watched until I had about 12k extra.

If I were silver at this point I wouldn't move on either. And when I decided to do it I couldn't have had any worse timing, literally the day before legends were released and pxp dried up was when I went platinum. From the All-Star break on, really since the last big update, resources were getting easier to come by and I saw that trend as continuing since legends weren't released during the HoF weekend. Glu had other plans of course.

Diamond is the final chapter for me in 19, just something I wanted to do. If I spend money it will only be for FP. I don't buy gold and grinding vids is over for me. I also like seeing the teams that are out there and building other resources from bg's. Diamond will allow me to participate in more events than I would have in lower tiers just because I always held on to my gold. I'm literally 4 days in though so my opinion could and probably will change.