Which keeper should I max first?

Wicked0WildcatsWicked0Wildcats Registered Users, Member 1,040 Posts
So I'm getting very close to maxing ATG Mantle to Diamond 10 and ready to get going on my other two.  I have a 535 true max Hosmer who is a great complement to Mantle because he's a double RHP skill and fits a positional need.  I figured I'd get going on him next.  

Then I thought, my pitcher keeper is ATG Bob Gibson.  My pitching staff is trash.  I have a 350 max ace at Platinum 6.  Sure would be nice to be able to compete in season mode again and have a stopper when I need a near guaranteed win.  

Who would you max first?
Prev1

Comments

• UltimateWarriorUltimateWarrior Registered Users, Member 543 Posts
    I always go with a big bat vs a pitcher 1st.  HIf you cycle WOH getting the xp back to start Gibson shouldn’t be to hard
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    I think most people would choose a bat over a pitcher, but there's always a great chance that you'll get a prime or legend that will be better than Hosmer in between bumps. Gibson, on the other hand, would probably be your Ace for the rest of the year 🤷🏻‍♂️
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
     I have Gibson and he's amazing, but I'd always prioritized bats over pitchers. If you have plenty of bats, then that would be a different story. Fwiw, if you lower you team strength(thanks @JEDDDOGGY), Gibson is unstoppable in season mode.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Wicked0WildcatsWicked0Wildcats Registered Users, Member 1,040 Posts
    Thanks fellas.  I think what I might do (after Mantle is maxed) is just farm the XP for a bit and see what happens for awhile.  If the opportunity presents itself to cycle cap a Prime or Legend 1B or starting pitcher before then, that will make it an easy decision. 
  • criffycriffy Registered Users, Member 625 Posts
    Thanks fellas.  I think what I might do (after Mantle is maxed) is just farm the XP for a bit and see what happens for awhile.  If the opportunity presents itself to cycle cap a Prime or Legend 1B or starting pitcher before then, that will make it an easy decision. 
    They haven't had a WOH 1b reward since that switch hitting carlos santana... I'm still rolling with 340 max Beaty at 1B *SMH*
  • BOZZCOBOZZCO Registered Users, Member 102 Posts
    My Verlander pitcher is my highest rated (397 I think) and my go to in season mode. All other pitchers I have are just 350 capped. That said... he was the last of my 3 keepers to level.  XP well spent in my opinion.
  • 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    I’m still working on mays and hosmer but at least they are in diamond. I figure bxp is easier to get than pxp. Gibson will be next
  • BigHurtBigHurt Registered Users, Member 157 Posts
    DFBB said:
     I have Gibson and he's amazing, but I'd always prioritized bats over pitchers. If you have plenty of bats, then that would be a different story. Fwiw, if you lower you team strength(thanks @JEDDDOGGY), Gibson is unstoppable in season mode.
    @DFBB, how does this work exactly? Do you put in throwaway relievers/sp's everywhere else? Does keeper pitcher have to be capped (fyi, I have keeper DeGrom)? 
  • criffycriffy Registered Users, Member 625 Posts
    edited September 2019
    BigHurt said:
    @DFBB, how does this work exactly? Do you put in throwaway relievers/sp's everywhere else? Does keeper pitcher have to be capped (fyi, I have keeper DeGrom)? 
    You insert 1 star pitchers in your other 4 SP slots aside from your ace. Do the same for LR and RP2. Also, do the same for your 3 bench spots. Nerfs down your team strength to where you get a significantly easier opponent in season mode. I solely do this for the playoffs (at gold) but the guys at diamond seem to throw an ice wrap every game to get through the season and into the playoffs.
    Basically, how @criffy describes it. My team is pretty solid now so I can make the playoffs without changes. However, I won't be able to beat the good teams(hou, was, etc.) w/o 'adjustments' so I don't take any chances in the playoffs.
  • BigHurtBigHurt Registered Users, Member 157 Posts
    Thanks @criffy and @DFBB! This gives me way more motivation to finish leveling my keeper pitcher (Currently at D4)
    edited September 2019
    BigHurt said:
    Thanks @criffy and @DFBB! This gives me way more motivation to finish leveling my keeper pitcher (Currently at D4)
    I realize that not everyone is in the same boat, but to give you an example. I'm able to get my TS down to 95k. In 18 playoff games, Gibson has given up a total of 2 runs. :)
    DFBB said:
    BigHurt said:
    I realize that not everyone is in the same boat, but to give you an example. I'm able to get my TS down to 95k. In 18 playoff games, Gibson has given up a total of 2 runs. :)
    With all of those maxed primes and legends I figured that 150k TS would be your minimum. Lol. 
    2003cobra said:
    DFBB said:
    BigHurt said:
    With all of those maxed primes and legends I figured that 150k TS would be your minimum. Lol. 
    The key is swapping out those dudes out with d10 players(or any player) w/o skills. 
    I’m with you. I’ve won a couple of seasons in diamond now. I use 1 Star players as subs and 3 relievers and 4 starters  to help with that 
  • bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    So I'm getting very close to maxing ATG Mantle to Diamond 10 and ready to get going on my other two.  I have a 535 true max Hosmer who is a great complement to Mantle because he's a double RHP skill and fits a positional need.  I figured I'd get going on him next.  

Then I thought, my pitcher keeper is ATG Bob Gibson.  My pitching staff is trash.  I have a 350 max ace at Platinum 6.  Sure would be nice to be able to compete in season mode again and have a stopper when I need a near guaranteed win.  

Who would you max first?
    Bats always come first.  You can use them to finish higher and faster in all modes.  Faster is the key for WOH farming;  5min a spin shaved adds up over multiple cycles.  
  • Wicked0WildcatsWicked0Wildcats Registered Users, Member 1,040 Posts
    While we're on this topic, what about created legends?

These guys tend to get overlooked, but their max is every bit as high as the top keepers.  If keepers are such a good value, wouldn't created legends fall into the same category?  Or is the lack of a second skill that much of a value killer?

Also, are their any charts out there for these guys?  I know they're expensive, but I don't think they're a straight 5 to 1 like keepers.  
  • tocopan18tocopan18 Registered Users, Member 803 Posts
    they are a pretty good value, not as good as the keepers, but close. They will always be among your top players (even without the second skill because their max overall kind of matches that of a 550 true max keeper).
    Eventually, as you keep getting new (higher) players, it starts to get relegated in your lineup, but then they get a bump and immediately becomes one of your top players again. 
    One more time, almost never as good as the keepers (assuming you have good keepers) but definitively close.
    Besides, not everybody that plays this game has keepers, so for those that don't, my legend is pretty much the top player when they get the boost and stays there until new players get pulled.

These guys tend to get overlooked, but their max is every bit as high as the top keepers.  If keepers are such a good value, wouldn't created legends fall into the same category?  Or is the lack of a second skill that much of a value killer?

Also, are their any charts out there for these guys?  I know they're expensive, but I don't think they're a straight 5 to 1 like keepers.  

In the first few months of the game, I was a huge advocate of ML(my legend). However, without a second skill, he'll merely be very good. The issue is that with a second skill, he'd be OP(overpowered). They're 10:1 of the bxp players cost from bronze to gold. However, at platinum and diamond, they're 10:1 of '18's cost! Without FP, for example, it's 4.6mill bxp from d1 to d10. 
    DFBB said:

In the first few months of the game, I was a huge advocate of ML(my legend). However, without a second skill, he'll merely be very good. The issue is that with a second skill, he'd be OP(overpowered). They're 10:1 of the bxp players cost from bronze to gold. However, at platinum and diamond, they're 10:1 of '18's cost! Without FP, for example, it's 4.6mill bxp from d1 to d10. 
    DFBB did you mean to say that without a second skill he’d be OP? Thanks for putting the leveling cost out there. That’s a crazy amount  of bxp
    2003cobra said:
    DFBB said:

DFBB did you mean to say that without a second skill he’d be OP? Thanks for putting the leveling cost out there. That’s a crazy amount  of bxp
    I mean that without a second skill, he's not elite. 
  • greg24211greg24211 Registered Users, Member 33 Posts
    I only started playing this year.  How do keepers work? Do you get to select players to carry over from 1 season to the next at the end of the season or something?
    greg24211 said:
    I only started playing this year.  How do keepers work? Do you get to select players to carry over from 1 season to the next at the end of the season or something?
    Last year, we were given the option to carry over two bats and a pitcher to our '19 roster. I can only assume that a similar option will be available for next season.
  • bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    I wonder if we will be able to keep our keepers this year........
    bigvivec said:
    I wonder if we will be able to keep our keepers this year........
    I think we'll have better options.
    Keepers are what has me most excited for next year 👀
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
    Pujols I thought that it was the stickers that had I the most excited. 
    Oops. Meant to say u not I. Stupid smart phone makes me dumber all the time
    The stickers are what's keeping me excited now
    I’ve got more to send you. I just bought $100 worth