Options

Resetting advertising ID and opting out of ad personalization

lpoheronlpoheron Registered Users, Member 170 Posts
In case anyone is wondering...I opted out of ad personalization and recieved this email from Tapjoy. 

Comments

• Options
    DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Thank you for sharing.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Options
    JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    "This will be your second and final warning for this type of behaviour"

Geezus, sounds like something someone might tell me if I brought a bowie knife to a grade school. Not if I reset a setting on my phone so I don't get ads I don't want to see.
  • Options
    MulderkenMulderken Registered Users, Member 173 Posts
    Just don't do the offers. 
  • Options
    mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    Is 20x a day to much? 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    How does Tapjoy have your email address? I presume from completing offers?

FWIW, you have every right on an Apple device to change this to anonymize your ID and then reset. That is separate from removing ad data related to your device for offer completion or some other "agreement" you've made with an advertiser. If that's in their ToS to track which offers you've started/completed then yeah, you are beholden to that ToS.
  • Options
    whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    At least Tapjoy gave you a warning.  If Glu followed this strategy it would improve customer relations SOOOOO much!!!
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
  • Options
    Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts
    lpoheron said:
    In case anyone is wondering...I opted out of ad personalization and recieved this email from Tapjoy. 
    "Dear Juan, 
    My phone/mobile device is in my ownership and it is maintained in accordance with the terms of service as described by iOS/Google. My use of my device is in accordance with their standards and will continue to be used within their standards. 

Despite your objections, use of the OS-provided options of resetting my ad identifier are within those terms of service (explicitly approved, in fact). While I appreciate you linking Tapjoy's TOS here, they are not on display on the offer page, and there are no clear or explicit directions to any user regarding your company's prohibition of using these OS-provided features. In fact, what you are saying is your company is in the practice of only notifying users of your TOS after it has collected information from the user. 

Your company's lack of ability or desire to make it clear at the beginning of the offer followed by your admonishing tone in this email is neither necessary nor appreciated. Your business practices are questionable at best. While I appreciate your heads-up suggesting you can restrict payment for me completing the offer, the reality is, you can't, so either put a notice up front saying specifically we aren't allowed to reset the ad ID, or kindly pay out what you owe. Either way, when you're done, go **** yourself. 

Thank you."