How In The Heck Do You Folks Just "Cycle Through" WoH HoF? I Don't Blame You For Not Trying To Play

drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts

I posted my little whining session in the other thread, but reading it has me wondering, how good of a team do you need to have to cycle through WoH? I am to the point where there is no point in playing HoF level.  I am still in silver (stashing enough resources now to try and go gold) with a team full of Legends.  Yes, I have been very lucky.  When I play WoH, all ten batters are rated at least 198. I also have 207 Joe Carter.

Yesterday was brutal, especially facing MR and VB.  I managed to get past MR three times despite nearly being curved to death.  Then, I get to VB, and get "eliminated" with NINE straight curves that are nowhere near the plate.  It was brutal. Use the video reset, then SIX straight nowhere near the plate for the first two outs. Load the bases, then a pitch right down the middle results in a popup.  Get there a third time, load the bases, and again, SIX straight pitches nowhere near the plate for two outs. I was using 207 Joe Carter with a live boost each time, BTW.

What is the point of playing if the game is scripted like that?  Simple answer: there is none.

So, how do I make my team good enough to cycle through it like you guys do so I don't have to worry about the inevitable screwing?

PS - the happy ending to my novel was I played classic again. 4.10 didn't freeze, and I won Davis out of the box with the 2% chance. Great consolation prize for Mood Swing Monday.

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

Prev1

Comments

• criffycriffy Registered Users, Member 625 Posts
    Go gold, much easier than silver
  • drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts
    I have a lot of work to do then. Damn.

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

• MoenPDCMoenPDC Registered Users, Member 615 Posts
    Like he said. Go gold. With a team of legends and live boost ( kinda needed to keep the frustrations down ) it’s pretty easy . This is the team I cycled with yesterday. Wish I had saved rizzuto . Mookie handled vida though with 80g boost and live boost 

I have a lot of work to do then. Damn.
    i think it's doable in silver but you need to have 2 skills active probably loaded to at least 12/12 with 80 gold boosts? i haven't been silver in forever so not sure, i only started cycling hof after going gold - nowadays you'll probably need a capped prime (420 or 430 max) with 2 skills active at gold
  • ZaneJ78ZaneJ78 Registered Users, Member 369 Posts
    Go gold man!! Makes life all around easier.
    Need more Living Legends!
  • davidwg1davidwg1 Registered Users, Member 59 Posts
    I was able to beat HOF yesterday with my silver team.  My last two hitters are usually rizzuto or mookie depending on the pitcher.  Have gotten better at getting through but don’t usually have time to go through multiple times.  
    davidwg1 said:
    I was able to beat HOF yesterday with my silver team.  My last two hitters are usually rizzuto or mookie depending on the pitcher.  Have gotten better at getting through but don’t usually have time to go through multiple times.  

Rizzuto was a beast yesterday for me!!
    I was able to cycle hof 5x yesterday
  • 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    @CanadaCubs I love that approach and glad to know that it’s possible without the shiny primes and legends. My team is very similar to yours but my time in Monday is limited. I’m still working on my keepers so classic it is for now. 

Thanks for all the advice. I will try CanadaCubs advice first since that is most in reach.

Seriously though, am I just unlucky with all the unhittable curves? I get through several rounds with one out coming that way, sometimes two, but nine effing pitches that are nowhere near the plate is just criminal.  I wish the game would at least give you the illusion you have a shot.  Make them "hittable" but you are out 90% of the time.  That would at least make it fun.

• 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts

• DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    To add to @CanadaCubs and it has also been mentioned, but lower tiers are simply tougher. The same bats that struggle in silver, for example, absolutely crush at higher tiers. 
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
    Yup whoever you are using on that batter is the reason behind all the curves. First time to Vida I hadn't realized that pitcher had changed and he OWNED scoascia ( even though scoascia was a verlander killer ) switched it to mookie Wilson ( with 80 gold boost ) was getting waaaay to many curveballs. Live boost kicked in and it was fastball city. It is directly related to your hit rating against that pitcher and left/right matchup
    Yeah DFBB is the man. I remembered his advice yesterday, so I spent flipping money last night boosting Carter to 207 to face VB. Only had enough resources to booth both his skills to about 8 though. I'll get them higher. The last time the matchup seemed a little more fair until I loaded the damn bases. LOL

Yeah DFBB is the man. I remembered his advice yesterday, so I spent flipping money last night boosting Carter to 207 to face VB. Only had enough resources to booth both his skills to about 8 though. I'll get them higher. The last time the matchup seemed a little more fair until I loaded the damn bases. LOL
    It's extremely important to be double boosted when the round begins. Whether skills turn on/off, I've noticed a huge discrepancy between those with two active skills to start a round vs those with just one(like woh +risp or man on base). There are a couple of interesting theories. One is that the pitch sequence for the round is determined immediately. Another theory is that the way skills stack with one another, as well as with any gold/video boost, is different for those that start the round vs ones that get turned on/off during the round. For example, a 20/20 bat will show a boost of 44%. If boosted with the 80g, it will show a boost of 73%. It's quite possible that when/if skills turn on during the round, that they don't receive the stacking bonus. 
  • Base15Base15 Registered Users 504 Posts
    I had trouble getting enough fastballs to beat Rivera with a 430 prime hit rating of 281 (at gold level) with stacked skills at 10/10. This was even during a live boost. I got it to within one run three times and then got nothing to hit. 

I did beat him a couple of times throughout the day, but it’s definitely not reliable. Not sure how high that needs to be to cycle as easily as some of you guys do, but it obviously needs to be higher. 
    Base15 said:
    I had trouble getting enough fastballs to beat Rivera with a 430 prime hit rating of 281 (at gold level) with stacked skills at 10/10. This was even during a live boost. I got it to within one run three times and then got nothing to hit. 

I did beat him a couple of times throughout the day, but it’s definitely not reliable. Not sure how high that needs to be to cycle as easily as some of you guys do, but it obviously needs to be higher. 
    I got through pretty easily with capped scoiscia @ 12/12 - surprised about how many of you guys struggled with mo, but guess i'm in a good position with 450 finishers (263) on each side of the plate
    One final question: Your potential WoH player lineup will obviously shift as you increase their skills. I noticed after I boosted Carter, but didn't touch some other players, those guys got moved around too in the potential order. I changed my approach to that order and got through 1-9 (including MR) really smooth after that.  Is there anything to that order the game presents or is that just a ruse?  Seemed like 6-9, especially, were easy. I was just too frustrated by that point to keep getting to 10 only to get curved to death.

One final question: Your potential WoH player lineup will obviously shift as you increase their skills. I noticed after I boosted Carter, but didn't touch some other players, those guys got moved around too in the potential order. I changed my approach to that order and got through 1-9 (including MR) really smooth after that.  Is there anything to that order the game presents or is that just a ruse?  Seemed like 6-9, especially, were easy. I was just too frustrated by that point to keep getting to 10 only to get curved to death.
    If you're referring to the WoH batter select screen, it's just random. Guys with the same max will flip flop at random when you restart the app. As far as things being 'easy' or 'tough,' I believe that has more to do with RNG than anything unless there's a significant sample size. Look at it this way, if a box has 10% player odds and you pulled a player in both the boxes you opened, was that easy? Conversely, if a guy opened 7 of the exact same boxes and didn't get a single player, was it tough? In reality, it was the same, but RNG skews our perception. 
    Much appreciated, as always!

• EbiggzEbiggz Registered Users, Member 282 Posts
    I went diamond over the weekend and Monday was my first Diamond WOH classic attempt. I had 2 R bats at D10 and 1 L bat at D10. I got 10 cycles in but it was a bit of a struggle, like more struggle than I've ever had in WOH. I spent an ungodly amount of gold on restarts because I wanted all the cycles I could get to replenish my bxp. I'm hoping it gets better, because I feel it shouldn't have been that difficult on classic.
    ~UNAGI~
  • mwilson829mwilson829 Registered Users, Member 364 Posts
    I went diamond before WOH last week, and I was able to cycle pretty easily without a single bat higher than D5.  That said, I was able to 4 lefties and 2 righties to D5, including Legend Luis Gonzalez (double RHP) and max 320 Prime Soler (double late), along with POTM Alvarez and POTM Aquino (both of whom are effectively max 340 primes right now).  So all four of those guys were probably better at D5 than most BXP players are at D10, which might explain the relative ease I had cycling Classic.  I cycled 15+ times both weeks to cap both Frazier and Smith.
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    edited September 2019
    @Ebiggz were you able to cycle cap Smith? He's probably the best bxp (non POTM/keeper) player for woh thus far. 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
    @Ebiggz were you able to cycle cap Smith? He's probably the best bxp (non POTM/keeper) player for woh thus far. 
    Yeah. I took him straight to D4 after getting him and cycled 9 more times.
    ~UNAGI~
  • tribeguy2147tribeguy2147 Registered Users, Member 170 Posts
    @Ebiggz who are the 3 d10 bats u had before u cycle capped smith. Ive been diamond for a while now. And i cant seem to break past 5 cycles. Its beyond frustrating. I do get sidetracked leveling up multiple players at once. Now i feel with the 360 players here I shouldn't use the xp on my 350s that arent capped. But if i dont cap those guys than how the heck am i gonna cycle cap. Itll never end for me 😩
    @Ebiggz who are the 3 d10 bats u had before u cycle capped smith. Ive been diamond for a while now. And i cant seem to break past 5 cycles. Its beyond frustrating. I do get sidetracked leveling up multiple players at once. Now i feel with the 360 players here I shouldn't use the xp on my 350s that arent capped. But if i dont cap those guys than how the heck am i gonna cycle cap. Itll never end for me 😩

~UNAGI~
    That .600 batting average is awesome.. 
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    Cycling HOF takes time no matter what level you are. However it’s easier the higher the tier you are.  In diamond you need to be able to commit a decent amount of time to cap a legend since it most likely requires you 10+ cycles.  That’s the drawback, the plus side is like others mentioned the same bats that silver, gold teams use are a lot more effective 
    @Ebiggz these are my top bats