One skill boost vs. 2 skill boosts

Wicked0WildcatsWicked0Wildcats Registered Users, Member 1,040 Posts
Let's say you're playing WOH and have a choice on a round between two hypothetical players:

Player A has the higher overall rating w/o boost, but will only have one active boost.  

Played B is lower overall but will have two active boosts.  

Let's say these players will be equally rated against the pitcher with boosts applied.  It feels like, to me,  even though they are "equal", I am more successful with Player B, the lower overall but 2 skill boosted player.  

Is this just in my head, or does it seem to be this way for anyone else?  It doesn't make any logical sense why it would be this way, they should be about equally successful, but it really does seem this way to me.  

Comments

• retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,856 Posts
    Is it all in your head? Probably.. but it's in my head too. I definitely see a positive difference when using a lower rated player with both skills active compared to a higher rates player with one skill active. Not necessarily with a one skill active 470 legend and a two skill 350 guy, but when their ratings are fairly close I err with the dual skills. 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Can you give us specific examples? I want to see how crazy you are. Jk man. Personally, I just go with the numbers. Whoever has the better ratings, after boosts, is who I'll use.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Wicked0WildcatsWicked0Wildcats Registered Users, Member 1,040 Posts
    edited September 2019
    DFBB said:
    Can you give us specific examples? I want to see how crazy you are. Jk man. Personally, I just go with the numbers. Whoever has the better ratings, after boosts, is who I'll use.
    @DFBB
    Classic tonight, 4-10 vs. Plesac, my best guy by far is 440 Mantle.  Mantle has struggled in that matchup tonight, even gold boosted!  I forget what his overall is with the boost, but it's well into the high 500s.  

Finally got sick of it and just started using 360 capped Mallex Smith with double WOH from today's event and he's in the high 400s with the boost.  No problems whatsoever the last couple cycles.  

Maddening,  I'm sure it's just random circumstance but it seems like quite a deviation from the norm.  
    I've been weirdly disappointed with Mantle.  I thought when I got him to D-10 he would just dominate.  He's not that great against RHP, I sometimes prefer my 350/360 double boosted guys.  Even Vida Blue at HOF took me 4 tries tonight with Mantle and a 80 boost, and Mantle should be made for that matchup.  Mallex Smith took down Rivera in 2 tries.  

Maybe it's just a bad day, maybe my expectations are too high, or maybe the 8/20 boosts on him are the problem.  I can afford to upgrade that,  but I've been saving PXP and LXP for a long time to cycle cap some Primes and Legends, so I hate to use too much of it.
  • benny100benny100 Registered Users, Member 757 Posts
    Once I took Mantle’s skills to 12/12 I notices a significant difference in WOH. I have his pennants at 60/60 also. He took Vida down 4 times yday with 2 times first try and 2 times with the video repeat. 
  • bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    I've been weirdly disappointed with Mantle.  I thought when I got him to D-10 he would just dominate.  He's not that great against RHP, I sometimes prefer my 350/360 double boosted guys.  Even Vida Blue at HOF took me 4 tries tonight with Mantle and a 80 boost, and Mantle should be made for that matchup.  Mallex Smith took down Rivera in 2 tries.  

Maybe it's just a bad day, maybe my expectations are too high, or maybe the 8/20 boosts on him are the problem.  I can afford to upgrade that,  but I've been saving PXP and LXP for a long time to cycle cap some Primes and Legends, so I hate to use too much of it.
    Spend some pxp on your closers.  Worth it’s weight in tears!
    DFBB said:
    @DFBB
    Classic tonight, 4-10 vs. Plesac, my best guy by far is 440 Mantle.  Mantle has struggled in that matchup tonight, even gold boosted!  I forget what his overall is with the boost, but it's well into the high 500s.  

Finally got sick of it and just started using 360 capped Mallex Smith with double WOH from today's event and he's in the high 400s with the boost.  No problems whatsoever the last couple cycles.  

Maddening,  I'm sure it's just random circumstance but it seems like quite a deviation from the norm.  
    Can you show your Mantle? Both Mantle and Smith have skills at 8/8?
  • mwilson829mwilson829 Registered Users, Member 364 Posts
    Random question: is there any way to get the Field Pass discount on skills after a player has been capped at D10?  My understanding is that the only way to get the FP discount for skills is to buy them through the Improve tab (rather than clicking on the player card), but my guys that have been capped at D10 no longer appear on the Improve tab.  Does that mean I'm SOL on using the FP discount on their skills?
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,856 Posts
    Random question: is there any way to get the Field Pass discount on skills after a player has been capped at D10?  My understanding is that the only way to get the FP discount for skills is to buy them through the Improve tab (rather than clicking on the player card), but my guys that have been capped at D10 no longer appear on the Improve tab.  Does that mean I'm SOL on using the FP discount on their skills?
    You still get the discount. It doesn't show a discounted amount, but it only takes a discounted amount. You're good 👍🏻
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • mwilson829mwilson829 Registered Users, Member 364 Posts
    @retirepujols Ah, that helps.  Thanks.
  • effschmoo2effschmoo2 Registered Users, Member 184 Posts
    edited September 2019
    The skills show full cost when you’re not in the upgrade tab, but when you upgrade the cost is at the discounted rate. 

Edit: I noticed this too and somebody here on the forum last week said it was just a display issue but the discount works. 
    DFBB said:
    DFBB said:
    @DFBB

Can you show your Mantle? Both Mantle and Smith have skills at 8/8?
    Yes.

@Wicked0Wildcats In that comparison, it would be difficult for me to move off Mantle to Smith. Maybe there's more to things than the numbers. Hmm..