Season Mode Tips for Winning

Horse42Horse42 Registered Users, Member 136 Posts
My Season Mode record is not that great, and I usually lose by just 1 or 2 runs. As far as team upgrades, should I focus on boosting the team hitting upgrades or team pitching upgrades to do better in Season Mode?
Prev1

Comments

• JTANDMEJTANDME Registered Users, Member 767 Posts
    I personally max out the hitting and to hell with pitching but I am all about WOH. 
  • xracmanxracman Registered Users, Member 666 Posts
    I've got 7 season finals wins.  I usually have my highest overall rated player at each position especially for playoffs.   Same with the rotation.  I'll also have at least RP1, SU and Closer with non  scrubs. I also set my batting order by hit rate.
    Plus I have all my team upgrades maxed.  Started with the hitting, then pitch coach and calling, then the intangibles and then the defense ones.
  • mwilson829mwilson829 Registered Users, Member 364 Posts
    edited September 2019
    I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I have maxed the WOH-friendly upgrades (hitting coach, trainer, clutch performance and in the zone), and I haven't even touched anything else.  Literally zeros across the board.  Hasn't stopped me from rolling up a 9863-525 record (0.949 winning percentage).

If you're having trouble winning season games, put 1-star guys in your three bench spots and at all of your reliever positions.  That usually is enough to bring the opposing team strength down to manageable levels, and if your starting pitchers are good enough, none of those guys get used anyway.  If even that doesn't work, also put 1-star guys in your SP2-5 slots and just roll with your ace (using ice packs before each game).  That should definitely let you roll through season mode.  I've won the title in every diamond season I've played that way.
  • ShoveItUpYoenis2ShoveItUpYoenis2 Registered Users, Member 952 Posts
    Not sure I always autoplay every season mode and playoff game. Finished the season 112-4 and didn’t lose any playoff games. My roster isn’t amazing but I do have all of the upgrades maxed out. I max out all hitting first and then eventually get around to maxing out pitching although don’t think it’s necessary
  • 8ball028ball02 Registered Users, Member 130 Posts
    If you're having trouble winning season games, put 1-star guys in your three bench spots and at all of your reliever positions.  That usually is enough to bring the opposing team strength down to manageable levels, and if your starting pitchers are good enough, none of those guys get used anyway.  If even that doesn't work, also put 1-star guys in your SP2-5 slots and just roll with your ace (using ice packs before each game).  That should definitely let you roll through season mode.  I've won the title in every diamond season I've played that way.
    Same here... Its worked for me although I did have to lower my SP2-5 spots.  Won several seasons since then and then I hit a wall.  My Ace was only P-10 so when I hit a wall I just bumped my ace up to D-3 and started winning again.  Even against the dreaded Astros (I refuse to make them my "fav team" just so that I dont have to face them!)
    8ball02 said:
    Same here... Its worked for me although I did have to lower my SP2-5 spots.  Won several seasons since then and then I hit a wall.  My Ace was only P-10 so when I hit a wall I just bumped my ace up to D-3 and started winning again.  Even against the dreaded Astros (I refuse to make them my "fav team" just so that I dont have to face them!)
    Fortunately for me, I'm an Astros fan in the first place, so I've never had to worry about seeing them in the playoffs.
  • Horse42Horse42 Registered Users, Member 136 Posts
    I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I have maxed the WOH-friendly upgrades (hitting coach, trainer, clutch performance and in the zone), and I haven't even touched anything else.  Literally zeros across the board.  Hasn't stopped me from rolling up a 9863-525 record (0.949 winning percentage).

Thank you for the tips. I didn’t realize that having 1-star scrubs on the bench decreased the opponents rating. Do I do the same for relievers? Will putting in 1-star scubs for my relievers also lower the opponent’s rating?
  • 1994EXPOS1994EXPOS Registered Users, Member 149 Posts
    Horse42 said:

Thank you for the tips. I didn’t realize that having 1-star scrubs on the bench decreased the opponents rating. Do I do the same for relievers? Will putting in 1-star scubs for my relievers also lower the opponent’s rating?
    Absolutely
  • slafrance2slafrance2 Registered Users, Member 1,370 Posts
    I have been gold for quite sometime now. 13 total season wins. Right now in the finals with 116-0. My best advice is to have all of your hitting and pitching upgrades done first then all the rest. Since ive been gold for a while by now i have all 16 maxed. Make sure you're pitchers are leveled to 10 as well. Unless you take the approach of having scrubs in and only a good ace, but even then i think thats more of a diamond season hack. Hack meaning life hack not cheating for anyone misreading that ;-)
  • spoomanspooman Registered Users, Member 71 Posts
    Stay gold or go to diamond. No platinum. Max your your BEST pitchers with skills- most important. Have your two best pitchers always 1&2. Having a great lineup is helpful but pitching wins. I myself go 116-0 every season, and never loose the playoffs with this strategy.  Good luck. 
    I've got to question maxing pitcher skills. I've got all my pitchers capped at G10, but very few have any skills upgraded. I have 10 SPs I rotate through and they have ERAs between 2.25 and 0.19.  I've won 5 seasons in a row, sitting at 66-2 right now.  So spending all those resources will save me 2 wins?
    edited September 2019
    I haven't even glanced at any pitcher skills.  I brought POTM Clevinger and POTM Flaherty to D9 when I jumped to diamond earlier this month, and both of them still have skills at 0/0.  Clevinger is 873-31 with a 0.44 ERA, 18,461 strikeouts (average of 20.4 per game pitched) and 708 shutouts.  Flaherty is 617-28 with a 0.63 ERA, 13,253 strikeouts (average of 20.5 per game pitched) and 474 shutouts.  Again, with 0/0 skills.  I don't see any reason to waste any resources whatsoever on skills.

Also, to further the point on using 1-star guys at your reliever spots, Clevinger and Flaherty have pitched complete games in 1,546 of their combined 1,549 games.  With capped pitchers, relievers are almost never used.
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    edited September 2019
    @mwilson829 team upgrades could be the difference, but I obtained and leveled Clevinger to d9, then d10, last week. So far he's 856-2 with a 0.10 ERA, 20,544 strikeouts and 23.9 per 9 innings: with his skills both at a whopping 4
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
    edited September 2019
    @retirepujols For what it’s worth, my upgrades related to pitching are all at zero as well. Just never felt the need to spend blue cash on that before, and now I save my blue cash for tournaments and player leveling. As for pennants, Clevinger is at 40 but Flaherty is only at 6.
    @mwilson829 I figured as much, I don't believe in pitchers skills beyond raising ts
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • spoomanspooman Registered Users, Member 71 Posts
    I miss spoke my pitchers are skill up grade 6. I never max pitchers. 

Thanks again for this incredible tip. I went from losing most games to being undefeated and dominating Season Mode opponents based on your tip!
    @Horse42 I'd love to take the credit, but I'm pretty sure @JEDDDOGGY was the one who first introduced this idea a couple of months ago.
  • TheFullMonteTheFullMonte Registered Users, Member 1,589 Posts
    Horse42 said:

Thanks again for this incredible tip. I went from losing most games to being undefeated and dominating Season Mode opponents based on your tip!

Question on this strategy.....are the seasons treated as a whole?  Or is the competition level dynamic?

Meaning, if I nerf my bench and RP mid-season, will it effect competition immediately?  Or does it only care about my team rating at the start of a new season?

Asking for a friend...……….

Pretty sure it takes effect immediately.  The first time I used this strategy, I started mid-season and it worked like a charm.
  • Base15Base15 Registered Users 504 Posts
    It seemed like after I nerfed by team, I needed to restart the app for it to work to my advantage. This was an unscientific observation based on one game, but I do it every time now.  
  • TCFORTWINSTCFORTWINS Registered Users, Member 37 Posts
    xracman said:
    Plus I have all my team upgrades maxed.  Started with the hitting, then pitch coach and calling, then the intangibles and then the defense ones.
    That makes sense and is very helpful. I will follow your lead and see what happens.
    Horse42 said:

Question on this strategy.....are the seasons treated as a whole?  Or is the competition level dynamic?

Meaning, if I nerf my bench and RP mid-season, will it effect competition immediately?  Or does it only care about my team rating at the start of a new season?

Asking for a friend...……….

For me, it took effect immediately in mid-season. Using that strategy, I went from losing most Season Mode games and winning some by 1 or 2 runs, to shutting out the other team and winning by double digits. It’s amazing how good it works. For me though, I only used my ace pitcher for Season Mode, and used all 1-Star players for subs, SP 2-5, and all relievers except for my closer.
  • iratepirateiratepirate Registered Users, Member 306 Posts
    With TSB'20 maybe coming out in only 80 more days, at what point does it start making sense to spend the 150 gold to immediately play the next 4-game series and get through seasons faster? 
    Keepers: Ruth/Posada/Paige. ML is SS (RHP/RHP) - I went Platinum June 17
    With TSB'20 maybe coming out in only 80 more days, at what point does it start making sense to spend the 150 gold to immediately play the next 4-game series and get through seasons faster? 
    A few months ago when pxp was important 🤪
    I think it’s a waste of gold to play faster. You’re better off saving gold to buy the blue mega LXP and blue mega PXP boxes. 
  • SandlotGuruSandlotGuru Registered Users, Member 285 Posts
    @Horse42 - I may be on an island on this, but I view it just the opposite way.  If you are guaranteed to win your season mode finals, and pay the 150 gold each time (2,400 gold total including playoffs),you will generate an incremental 10K LXP, 12.5K PXP, two mega LXP boxes, two mega PXP boxes, two Altuve boxes, 100 evo and 19,250 pennants.  To me that an insanely good deal because you can't buy that amount of loot with 2,400 gold.  I've won 31 season mode finals and I think accelerating season mode has really helped my team strength and resources.  But to each their own.
  • nwaredstar77nwaredstar77 Registered Users, Member 222 Posts
    @Horse42 - I may be on an island on this, but I view it just the opposite way.  If you are guaranteed to win your season mode finals, and pay the 150 gold each time (2,400 gold total including playoffs),you will generate an incremental 10K LXP, 12.5K PXP, two mega LXP boxes, two mega PXP boxes, two Altuve boxes, 100 evo and 19,250 pennants.  To me that an insanely good deal because you can't buy that amount of loot with 2,400 gold.  I've won 31 season mode finals and I think accelerating season mode has really helped my team strength and resources.  But to each their own.
    You have the right view... Pennants are very overlooked and help a lot in many aspects... Cvc and woh especially. I would always pay the gold to reset timer at 150 and usually 225 gold (unless i was low on gold somehow)
    @SandlotGuru You make a great, compelling point that changed my thoughts. 2,500 gold buys 5 blue mega LXP boxes. At 4,000 LXP average per box, that would be 20,000 LXP. But with the amount of resources you mention to get through Season Mode quicker by using only 2,400 gold, it does make sense to cut the Season Mode time in half by spending the 2,400 gold for the 150 gold series restarts. Thanks for changing my perspective.