Options

WoH HoF: A Story of Deception, Heartache, and Pain, by DrSmartAss, PhD.

drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts

Gentlemen,

She almost broke me last night, but I won't waiver. In the end, she won't win. I have the will and I will fight. I am the most stubborn Sumbitch known to man. No amount of frickery is going to stop me. I am determined. I will win....eventually.  Maybe.  Ok, probably not, but at least I can say I'm not spending any real money.

I've detailed my pissing and moaning here on WoH too often. I know, I know: everyone has to deal with it. Impossible pitches nowhere near the zone. Makes the game more challenging and decreases your margin for error while trying to win. I made the finals 15 times yesterday, only to get curved 14 times.  I detailed the first 9 in the thread.  Here is how the other six went.  I promise this pissing and moaning session will get better:. Yes, for those wondering, I have a "favorable matchup" in each of these. Sometimes nearly triple because I was wasting effing gold too. That's another item I still hate myself for.

1) 9 straight curves nowhere near.  This was the sixth or 7th time total at this point this happened. Video reboot

2) 6 straight curves, two hits, curved

3) 6 straight curves, one hit, curved. Video reboot

4) Three curves, four hits, six curves

5) Six straight curves, five hits (three runs), curved.  Video reboot

6) Two straight hits!! Holy hell! I'm so excited! I may have a chance! JK LOL. Next pitch over the middle, I drill it to what I thought would be left-center. Nope. Straight to the SS, who then turns a TRIPLE PLAY.

At that point, I just quit HoF. I was so effing mad. 15 times through and I got curved 14 of them, and one TP.

To make myself feel better, I did the equivalent of WoH masturbation: I went back to Classic and beat it again, just because.

WoH HoF, to me, is like going to the state fair and finding the biggest and best toy is at the basketball booth. You see those big shiny hoops and you think to yourself "Oh I got this, no problem".  Each round is $5.  You hand the toothless redneck behind the booth a $20.  He takes your money, then reaches under the counter and hands you a ball that is twice the size of the hoop. You know there is literally no way to win, but you shoot anyway because you are a stubborn Sumbitch. You inevitably miss.  You know you can't win, so you give the oversized ball back to the redneck and state that you would like your $15 change.  He then tells you he didn't see you give him a 20, you only gave him a 5. If you don't like it, he will get his big hairy brother in law (who is also his biological brother) to kick your ass. So you walk away...deceived and heart broken because that toy you know you could win (IF YOU JUST HAD A FAIR SHOT) just sits there.

Looking forward to Wednesday so I can win another useless player for the multipliers!

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

Prev1

Comments

• Options
    fahhq2fahhq2 Registered Users, Member 850 Posts
    Who are u using on 6.10 and what are their skills at? Typically you get the curves if ur guy isn’t deemed worthy of beating 6.10. Example-if ur using Opening Day Betts, u will only see curves the entire AB. If, let’s say, ur using the dbl RHP Kruk, it may take a few AB, but eventually the pitches will come. Not every hitter can beat the level...
  • Options
    dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    The reason your getting all these bad sequences is likely due to your player skills and team upgrades. You will always get bad pitch sequences but what you describe is too much for simply bad RNG.  Ideally, and many will confirm this you need to have your skills at a min of 12 on your top guys. Personally, my top bats at 20/20 and usually I never have issues with pitch sequences, minus last Monday where I just had bad RNG all day long and also came with 7 oops messages throughout the day.

Skills and team upgrades (5 main WOH ones) are key to WOH success. If your not getting good pitches it means your player is not good enough, skills are too low or upgrades are to low.
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • Options
    criffycriffy Registered Users, Member 625 Posts
    Do you not get enough attention at home?  :D:D
  • Options

I am using dbl RHP Kruk. 12/12 boost attributes. Each time I used the video boost too, or I dropped 80 gold. Each time, it stated my matchup was not only favorable, but several times the Krukster had nearly triple the favorability. When I used 80 gold it would usually just be six curves out the gate or three.  The games I was allowed some straight pitches were all 80 gold games. Such a waste. The triple play game was an 80 gold too.

It got to a point where I could play through 6.1-6.9 in less than 7-8 minutes. All favorable matchups there too, but when I got to the final, I got bent over.

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

• Options
    hate to sound like a prick, but it could be user error. When you get curves best thing to do is take the out. 90% of the time the next at bat you will see FBs. I had about 4 or 5 cycles yesterday were I went down 2 outs right away getting 6 curve balls. I just stood there and didnt even swing. Third out I got FBs and rallied 7 runs each time to win it,

Also since Kruk will be a beast for a long time, (1-2 months). I would get him to 20/20 on his skills.
    – The Great Houmy
  • Options

Oh, I get plenty of attention at home.

In fact, I got Kudos from the wife for not destroying my device. She and I were sitting together on those last six rounds and she watched a few. She very much understands baseball, and asked "why do you waste your time on that if it is hard coded for you to lose every time?  Please don't spend any more money on this."

I assured her I wouldn't, but that I was going to keep playing because I am determined to win. WoH HoF is now like the girl that keeps turning me down. Just makes me want her more. Ugh.

• Options
    ReadingFightingPhilsReadingFightingPhils Registered Users, Member 305 Posts
    You gotta pay the piper.  If not on the front end, on the back.  You are probably silver.  At silver you will need skills higher that 12 12 to get more favorable rng matchups consistently.  Can you do it with less, yes, if you get a lucky rng, but it won't be consistent.  So you can level the skills using resources ahead of time, or you can pay the resources for boosts and retries.  At the end of the day, the man gets paid either way.
  • Options
    dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    edited October 2019
    I had mix results all day on 6.10 with Rizzo 12/12 and Alvarez 9/9. Rizzo is just out of spec to be consistent at 6.10 not even registering "great matchup" against Feller with those skills and 80g boost. Seems the cutoff is somewhere between 747 hit (Rizzo 12/12 +80g) and 757 (Alvarez 9/9 +80g). I did beat 6.10 twice with Rizzo but the easier cycles came with Alvarez. All told I was probably 5/12 or so on 6.10.

Though I won't move my player skills beyond what they're at for various reasons Kruk at 20/20 should be unstoppable for quite some time I would imagine.
  • Options

For the poster above, I DO take the curves. I quit trying to swing at them after about the 8th game. I just took them each time. Would watch those big ole loops start out around third base and end up in the middle of the right-handed hitters box. Couple of times I thought I was hit by the pitch, but it would literally go through me on the inside "strikes".

For the poster asking about team upgrades: I'm new so please clarify. Is that pennants? If so, he's maxed out there too.

I'll keep collecting PXP and try and get his attributes to 15.

BTW, I can fly through Classic and All Star with only losing a few times. Kruk is unstoppable in those areas.

Tomorrow for Royale, I will likely play through it three to four times.

This is only happening in 6.10 HoF.  It is very consistent too. This is every effing week.

• Options
    Also, for the record I feel like HoF was finally more difficult than Royale. Not sure if anyone else shares the sentiment but I could autoplay a little deeper into lvl 5 & 6 than I think I would be able to in Royale comparatively.
  • Options
    HoF is definitely more difficult than Royale. I've been winning Royale for about three weeks now...since Bregman...

• Options
    tocopan18tocopan18 Registered Users, Member 803 Posts
    All these comments are true (mostly) except for the silver team. My team is silver and yesterday I beat HOF 6.10 twice in two tries. Rizzuto at silver 10, both skills at 10% (way below 20%) and he was 2 out of 2 vs Feller. Also keeper Suzuki at silver 10 with both skills at 10% was 2 out of 2 vs Ellis. 
    Of course all my team upgrades are at 40/40 and pennants also at 40/40. I didn't even use a gold boost in 6.9 or 6.10, only video boost.
    So it is doable. Maybe not 15-20 times like some people do, but at silver you don't need that many. I only did 2 because I was slow playing with Cabrera for club points so it took me a long time to come back. 
    By the way, Ellis/Feller was way easier than Rivera/Blue from last 2 weeks.
  • Options

I won Rizzuto out of a box a few weeks ago. I saw mythicaldragon won with him too. I am also silver.

Yes, Ellis/Feller did seem like I had more of a chance, since the past few weeks I only got past MR once. Only trip to VB was also 9 curves.

You silver guys winning gives me hope. I'll do it next week.

Oh, who am I kidding. I'll get curved to death again.

• Options
    HoF is definitely more difficult than Royale. I've been winning Royale for about three weeks now...since Bregman...
    I am diamond and this hasn't been the case. Royale has been more difficult than HoF. Will be interesting to see what it's like tomorrow.
  • Options
    mwilson829mwilson829 Registered Users, Member 364 Posts
    @drsmartassphd How do your WOH-friendly upgrades (Hitting Coach, Trainer, Clutch and In the Zone) look?  Presumably you have all of those at 40/40, but wanted to confirm since I haven't seen you mention them yet.
  • Options
    DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    I just wanted to say that @drsmartassphd is one of my favorite posters. I'm sorry that I often laugh at your posts, but damn, I love your passion. In particular, I love that you often articulate your experiences in a self deprecating manner.  Sorry, nothing to add here that hasn't already been mentioned. Keep on on fighting!
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Options
    COWPILEYCOWPILEY Registered Users, Member 825 Posts
    Team upgrades are not pennants. They are the cash/gold upgrades under the tab next to pennants. Hitting, Trainer, Clutch, and Zone are they key upgrades for WOH. I would guess you have these maxed given your success at every other level/matchup. 
  • Options
    JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    I gotta disagree with the approach of taking curveballs until you strikeout.

1. By swinging, you give yourself a chance to move runner(s) over.
    2. Don't think curveballs give you any greater chance of hitting into a DP/TP.
    3. Every once in a while, I swing at a curve and smash it for a 2B/3B/HR.
    4. Most importantly of all, when you take a 3rd strike, the AI gets a boost to pitch calling (which means your next pitches are actually more likely to be curveballs).
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    @JEDDDOGGY depends on the pitchers and level. I crush curveballs all the time with my 20/20 guys. Even those ones outside the plate that look like obvious balls. I swing and like u said, alot of the time their WOH HRs or base hits. It really depends on the pitchers and the level you are on.

Disagree with you on #4. Pitch calling might go up but I def notice a diff pitch sequences coming when I take the out.
    – The Great Houmy
  • Options
    @dkarski87 Yup, I agree with that. I think the other 3 points are valid still for any level team or player, though. I basically just swing every pitch that isn't an obvious ball lol.
  • Options
    2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    I also feel that it depends on the situation. A runner on third with less than 2 outs I’m not swinging because if I do make contact then it’s a ground ball to the pitcher and an out at home. Last night it was a liner to the first baseman that started a triple play. I will try to foul them off to see if the sequence changes but it never really does
  • Options
    2003cobra said:
    I also feel that it depends on the situation. A runner on third with less than 2 outs I’m not swinging because if I do make contact then it’s a ground ball to the pitcher and an out at home. Last night it was a liner to the first baseman that started a triple play. I will try to foul them off to see if the sequence changes but it never really does

That is an excellent point, and goes to show that my awareness while playing the game is definitely not on your level lol.
  • Options
    ReadingFightingPhilsReadingFightingPhils Registered Users, Member 305 Posts
    I never swing at first pitch curve ball.  A portion of the time pitch number two is a ball and I walk, so I let that one go.  I do try to move the runner on pitch 3.  I at least swing.  I hate seeing the graphic that pitch calling is improved.  
  • Options
    redlegs2018uredlegs2018u Registered Users, Member 1,048 Posts
    For #1, sometimes.  The outside fastball can sometimes can be hit on the ground or a medium length fly ball the other way.  The sharp curveball or heavy slider tends to either get missed or is a weak pop up.  #2 is absolutely right, on “unhittable” sequences you can’t make more than one out.  #3 are “hanging” breaking balls that will cut right at the center of the plate.  You often see balls in those sequences too.  More often than not I’ll just let the first one go by and will either get a ball or something straight on the next pitch.  #4 I believe is just a display of where someone’s skill is at that particular attribute.  When I’ve played others they will catch a fly ball and once in a while it will say “outfield arms has been upgraded to 38” or something.  On 5.10-6.10 I believe the opposition has 95-100 in all attributes you rarely see an error or anything like that.  
  • Options
    2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    Thanks. Just trying to conserve outs. Not sure why I’m paying my base coaches. They make some horrible decisions 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    2003cobra said:
    If you are behind it’s ok to swing in those situations at unhitable sequences as it will go where it normally goes.  Never swing at unhitable sequences when you are tied and the runner at 3rd as the floating ball and the ground ball to the pitchers is inevitable. Double and triple plays are just evil, as they only happen in sequences where you can get a hit, a mistimed early swing tends to end up in a rocket ground ball that ends in a double play with the occasional line drive to a middle infielder for a triple play with the fielders throwing it to the wrong bases lol.
  • Options

Yes, team upgrades are all maxed out for the level I am at. Everything is full bar. Pennants too on my top five guys.

@dfbb, thank you for the comment. I know I whine a lot here, but that's just me venting. I still very much enjoy the game, but I do go through moments of rage, which I can keep to myself.  My whining sessions are intended to be funny.  After all, that is really all you can do when it happens.  Either that or break stuff, but I'm too old for that now, and I also have to pay for it.

• Options
    DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Dang, everyone got so serious....

1)I always swing at the first pitch if it's over the middle of the plate(yes, even curves).
    2)I only swing at pitches on the corners if the runner I can potentially move over is the tying/winning run. Otherwise, I take those for a 3rd strike. On the bright side, you will never hit into a DP when the pitches are on the corners.
    3)Never swing at pitches on the corners if you have a man on 3rd with less than two outs and he represents the winning run. You will either pop up or it will be a grounder to the pitcher and he'll get thrown out. If that same runner represents the tying run, swing away.
    4)One of the only ways to mess up a 'hittable' AB is to swing early. Swinging late is like a buffer, but you want to time it just before that point.

I don't buy into pennants for WoH, but imo, skills/upgrades are everything. In particular, skills are the difference between those that multi cycle with ease and those that hemorrhage gold and/or only get through a handful of times. 

If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Options
    Very true on the early swing, I love hitting changeups for this very reason as the ball is moving so slow you naturally have to wait for the ball to get into the hitting zone.  
  • Options
    checkitmylescheckitmyles Registered Users, Member 94 Posts
    Wow I can’t believe you made an entire “woe is me” post. Either suck it up or just stop playing this game. Clearly you don’t enjoy it, or idk maybe you are a masochist who likes this kind of pain and humiliation.

I have yet to cycle WOH HOF. I get to a point where all I see are unhittable curves and then when I do make contact, it’s a wet noodle groundball for an easy out. So when I’m not having fun any more, I put my phone down and do something else. Like literally anything else. You might think about doing the same.