Why do people claim TSB '18 was better?

Wicked0WildcatsWicked0Wildcats Registered Users, Member 1,040 Posts
I often see on the Facebook group or other sites, people say, "2018 was so much better than '19."  Why do people feel that way?  Is this really the general consensus, or do people just remember the past more fondly than the present?  These are improvements to 2019 that I can think of off the top of my head, and to me each one of them is quite significant. 

Ads:  This is just my personal experience, but to me, ads in 2019 are much, much better than 2018.  Remember the 3 part ads and the long, long lag between ads?  For the most part, no more.  And standard 30 second ads have been supplemented by many 5-15 second ads.  While spenders, and in particular VIP players will always have an advantage, there's real opportunity for free to play players to build highly competitive teams too. 

Gifts:  Gifts are at the very worst comparable to '18, and far, far more common than in '17. 

Keepers:  Keepers are a game changer for long-term players!  I didn't have high expectations for keepers, because, to be frank, I thought it would just be a mess.  But in my opinion, they nailed it.  It's a clear advantage for long-term players, but not to the extent where new players are at a tremendous disadvantage.  The resource cost is tough, but fair for their value. 

Leveling:  Diamond players, remember how much gold it cost to take a player from D1 to D10 if you weren't cycle capping him?  Those days are gone.  For Gold and Platinum players starving for EVO, the repull/cycle cap opportunity to evolve a player is highly beneficial!

Mid-week combo of Fan Rewards/Ballpark investment:  Remember all the complaints and people who said, "I wish I could choose between fan rewards and leveling up my ballpark."  Well, now we get both mid-week. 

So what don't I like?  I don't like that Slugfest has been turned into an afterthought event.  I'd love to see it return to be a big part of 2020, but with your regular roster, with success based off your player's Power rating.  I could take it or leave it on how much WOH has changed with the towers and structure.  There's some good things about it and some bad things about it.  

But for the most part -- "TSB 2018 was so much better", nah I just don't really see it.  But feel free to convince me otherwise. 

Comments

• snowy24snowy24 Registered Users, Member 304 Posts
    The specials are also a great addition to 2019.
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    Keepers? Really? Ugh
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    I've actually had similar conversations with multiple people over this exact topic. It's my opinion that recency bias is responsible for the '18 nostalgia. The end of '18 was VERY player-friendly. Both players and resources were given/earned rather easily. I think if you compare the last few months of '18 to how '19 has been, then I can certainly see outcry. However, if you compare them at similar stages, '19 blows '18 out of the water. Like, it's not even remotely close. 
    Comparing similar timelines, here are some things off the top of my head that many may have forgotten about '18:

****2000 gold for 2.5% odds at one legend player
    ****1500 gold for 2.5% odds at one prime player
    ***no double skill players were introduced at this stage last year. Yet...
    ****We faced 'specialty' pitchers that ranged from level 5-10; This year, we've had double skilled players from day 1 and all WoH pitchers to date have been level 1. 
    ***Cheating was already mainstream well before football season; 
    ***Almost every team was a cookie cutter silver team
    ***WoH rewards for '18 were never game changers and were recycled from boxes that were sometimes, months old.

If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    For once I agree with Alex. ;)  On every point he made. 
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    2018 had BXP players that were essentially primes. That was one thing it had going for it.

2019 is the better version, but the slower progression has players clamoring for the quicker pace of 2018 I believe in some senses. 

Cvc was introduced on June 21st in 2018. I know because that was my anniversary and my gift to my wife (we agreed not to spend money for gifts) was my phone for the day. The match win reward for cvc? 3,000 BXP. Unless anything has changed it was 1500 BXP for diamond clubs. Lots of people hoped that would become PXP when legends were introduced and maybe that happens after the season ends.  The best part of cvc last year with the rewards was the premium XP box, and hopefully for those playing that makes a comeback at some point. 
    2018 had BXP players that were essentially primes. That was one thing it had going for it.

This time last year, those weren't impactful at all. The first time bxp guys made a real splash was in early November with the gold glove Arenado and Perez. After that, the floodgates opened with all the BF and holiday versions of nice bxp players.
    Another thing to note. There wasn't a great way to farm bxp in '18. You guys know how the repull value of primes/legends is a joke? Well, bxp repulls weren't much better in '18. In '19, they changed the repull value of bxp players to match the trade in value, which made farming bxp very easy/reasonable. 
    https://communities.glu.com/more-games/discussion/5447205/absolute-bullshit-glu-woh/p1

https://communities.glu.com/more-games/discussion/5447296/impossible-woh/p2

Those are two threads that I stumbled upon while looking at '18 stuff. It's a reminder that as a whole, we seem to always be unhappy with tsb. If anyone cares to read more threads and be reminded that yes, things were actually worse, feel free to dig in. Just go to the '18 forums and see for yourself.
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    Those were dark days! Glad to see most of our dumb asses are still here from those posts. ;)
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    I agree that 2019 is better than 2018 for sure, and made sure to mention that in my last post. Was just trying to give reasons as to why some people preferred 2018 over 2019. It was actually harder than I thought it would be, because I wanted to compare the end of 2018’s run to now, which isn’t a fair comparison. Had to try to think of where we stood this time last year, which was so bad that I went diamond from gold and gave up on walk-off for at least 3 months until the game loosened up around Black Friday with the players in the specials. 
  • bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    I’m happy that a lot of the glitching that was crazily prevalent last year is not part of the game now.  That and the “real” cheating.....if you matched up with loaders there just wasn’t much of a way to compete.  Guys would pop in the club line door to door salesmen offering weekend load bundles, gold, xp, whatever you wanted.  It still exists but not on the scale that it was last year where you could glitch event rewards, prime and bonus games, all types of xp, even gold.  rhst was an ugly side of the game and those that stayed totally clean just weren’t very good performers.  I like that this year to be competitive doesn’t mean having to get dirty.  It does mean having to spend heavy but that’s another story.....
  • KevoTheGiantKevoTheGiant Registered Users, Member 135 Posts
    edited October 2019
    RIP Moments players and epic tokens 😭

and the occasional 700 gold you’d pull from daily moments 
    edited October 2019
    I still want to be able to earn more premium XP via WOH like we were last year. They did have premium XP boxes in WOH at this point last year and I think we are still getting like 1500 BXP for CvC wins at diamond? We were getting 4000 PXP for CvC team wins at this point last year, I believe.

I know you guys like to rag on me for crying about XP when I am capping primes and legends. But, I mean, that is me literally saving every little stitch of XP that comes my way for over an entire month just to level one player. So just to keep perspective. I don't expect to be able to level up a new player every day, but it is a bit ridiculous when you have to wait 3-4 weeks between being able to level a prime/legend because you have to hoard the PXP/LXP to do it. You know how many legends I get that just get traded in? That isn't fun.

EDIT: Cycle capping on Monday makes this all tolerable, I suppose.
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    I think its important to note the jump from 2017 to 2018 vs the jump from 2018 to 2019.

2019 might seem slower but if things were rolled out similar 2018 I think people would have hated it, especially since we were used to things like 2 skilled hitters, cvc and other things that were introduced later in the year.

The question is what do you consider fun?  Only you yourself can answer.  Is it more to have a slightly harder time cycling woh but get the chance to earn more xp and have a player box or do you like it easier and have the ability to cycle cap just one player.   What isn't up for debate is it easier to cycle this year compared to last.

In terms of what is more fun, I think there is a balance but there's no wrong answer.

Leveling:  Diamond players, remember how much gold it cost to take a player from D1 to D10 if you weren't cycle capping him?  Those days are gone.  For Gold and Platinum players starving for EVO, the repull/cycle cap opportunity to evolve a player is highly beneficial!

I'll just say the cost of gold to level players has been replaced with the premium put on xp.  Unless you are a major grinder, its not uncommon for a guy in diamond to spend alot of their D6 gold on XP to level players which in return costs gold to level players.  And I will reiterate this is not ALL DIAMOND PLAYERS but alot of use have had to use gold on xp  boxes that pop twice a week.
  • [Glu Sports] blueleopard[Glu Sports] blueleopard Administrator, Moderators 815 Posts
    edited October 2019
    It's discussion of a sports game on the internet.

Madden NFL 2005 is still my favorite Madden, but was it really the best one?
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,856 Posts
    I would go with Madden 04, 2005 belonged to ESPN NFL 2K5
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
    @retirepujols man those ESPN games were great, I had the NBA and MLB games too. 
    I would go with Madden 04, 2005 belonged to ESPN NFL 2K5
    Not sure there was anything more unstoppable in a sports game then Mike Vick in 2004 Madden
  • WaveburnerWaveburner Registered Users, Member 290 Posts
    Maybe Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl? 
  • FrankTheTank04FrankTheTank04 Registered Users, Member 1,092 Posts
    Vick in Madden 18 ultimate team was also like the 04 version.  Unstoppable.
    Just no.