Legends I'd Like to See

xracmanxracman Registered Users, Member 666 Posts
Not sure if these guys showed up in previous years:
Darryl Strawberry, Frank Thomas, Dick Allen, Kevin Mitchell, Jose Canseco, McGwire, Bonds, Sosa, Joe Torre, Bobby Murcer, Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson.

Comments

• BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    I know there is a joke to be made here using “Big Hurt” + tap sports baseball + Glu but I can’t think of it 
  • slafrance2slafrance2 Registered Users, Member 1,370 Posts
    Yeah I don’t think we’ll see any of them due to licensing. 
  • bobdylan_fanbobdylan_fan Registered Users, Member 303 Posts
    I'd prefer that GLU forgo releasing anymore known steroid users as legends. I think those guys should fade into obscurity.
    Love your idea of Dick Allen!
    That said - here's a few more:
    Tito Fuentes (I just love to say - Tito Fuentes!).
    Satchell Paige
    Thurman Munson
    Fred Lynn
    Billy Williams
    Andy Messerschmidt
    Mike Marshall

• iratepirateiratepirate Registered Users, Member 306 Posts
    Keepers: Ruth/Posada/Paige. ML is SS (RHP/RHP) - I went Platinum June 17
  • mastodonrocksmastodonrocks Registered Users, Member 55 Posts
    I know Bonds has opted out of licensing agreements with the MLBPA but what about the others?  Why can't we have Griffey Jr, Paige, etc?
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    It would be nice to see some new faces for a change, but as its been pointed out they only have rights to certain players. Its why they keep recycling the same players over and over again. No choice really, cant release new players so they remake the same ones over and over again. And this does not go just for legends either.
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • xracmanxracman Registered Users, Member 666 Posts
    I figured licensing would have something to do with it.  Suppose the image rights are different for video games and baseball cards....
    Munson and Griffey Jr.  are great suggestions.
    Dick Allen was my favorite player as a kid.  I remember his first year with the White Sox, he was tearing up the league and Sports Illustrated put him on the cover holding his bat in the dug out with a cigarette in his mouth.

There's aslo the great story from Ron Luciano's book.  Spring training game, Phillies vs Yankees.  Allen's playing 3B and Mantle slides hard into the bag, big collision.  Luciano runs over to make the call, realizes that both guys are hungover as hell and says, "I hope no one lights a match around you two."

I personally don't care about the steroid users, but think about how cool a 'roid head box could be?  

• bobdylan_fanbobdylan_fan Registered Users, Member 303 Posts
    iratepirate....if we're going for fictional ballplayers...then lets throw Charlie Brown's favorite guy in the mix...Joe Schlabotnik
  • pdazzled006pdazzled006 Registered Users, Member 12 Posts
    I'd prefer that GLU forgo releasing anymore known steroid users as legends. I think those guys should fade into obscurity.
    Love your idea of Dick Allen!
    That said - here's a few more:
    Tito Fuentes (I just love to say - Tito Fuentes!).
    Satchell Paige
    Thurman Munson
    Fred Lynn
    Billy Williams
    Andy Messerschmidt
    Mike Marshall

I couldn't disagree more. Steroids started well before the prime of Bonds McGwire Sosa and others. It sucks that those big names get singled out because they were better.. Half the league was juicing and they all felt the need to do it to stay ahead of the game. Bonds was hitting off of pitchers that were juicing. And all of this took place in an era when it was encouraged by mlbs own commissioner. The HR race by McGwire and Sosa saved baseball.. the 94 strike absolutely killled baseball and that single handidly revived it. And from what I've read yes steroids will absolutely make you stronger but it doesnt do much for hand eye coordination. So for  Bonds to put up the insane numbers he did against alot of pitchers who were throwing harder due to steroids it is still impressive as hell in my opinion. If you're gonna punish them then you need to punish them whole era. For every one player that got caught there were 10 that didn't and unfortunately we will never truly know who they really were. And since they voted the commissioner who condoned the steroids in to the hall of fame it's just a matter of time before players follow..this is just my opinion and opinions and like assholes everyone's got one. Don't make me right or wrong just how I feel about it 
  • checkitmylescheckitmyles Registered Users, Member 94 Posts
    Would be cool to see some recent legends that I don’t think I’ve seen. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but I haven’t seen:

Carlos Beltran
    Johan Santana
    Scott Rolen
    Derek Jeter
    A-Rod
    Big Papi
    Pedro Martinez
    Randy Johnson
    Rafael Furcal
    Alfonso Soriano
    Ivan Rodriguez
    Mike Piazza
    Frankie Rodriguez
    Mariano Rivera
    Vlad Guerrero 
  • mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    Piazza and Rivera have both been used this year. Rivera was one of the first legends released this year as a 450. Piazza came a lil later 470. 
  • FrankTheTank04FrankTheTank04 Registered Users, Member 1,092 Posts
    Can I just see players that are legends in my heart?  Rusty Greer and Steve Buechele.  I know, it'll never happen because they weren't bought by the Yankoffs.  By the end of the year they will have put out 3 different DJ Lemahieu legends.  Ya know, because he hasn't had enough face time in this game yet this year.
    Just no.  
  • navyjack77navyjack77 Registered Users, Member 1,299 Posts
    Can I just see players that are legends in my heart?  Rusty Greer and Steve Buechele.  I know, it'll never happen because they weren't bought by the Yankoffs.  By the end of the year they will have put out 3 different DJ Lemahieu legends.  Ya know, because he hasn't had enough face time in this game yet this year.
    Boooooooooooooooo. His son’s doing pretty good at SMU this year.
  • navyjack77navyjack77 Registered Users, Member 1,299 Posts
    I would love to see Juan Gonzales, Rafael Palmeiro, and Josh Hamilton.
  • FrankTheTank04FrankTheTank04 Registered Users, Member 1,092 Posts
    Boooooooooooooooo. His son’s doing pretty good at SMU this year.
    Lol this guy gets it.  Yeah he is!  Still undefeated after tonight.
    Just no.  
  • ShoveItUpYoenis2ShoveItUpYoenis2 Registered Users, Member 952 Posts

Bobby Bonilla

• dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts

Bobby Bonilla's Contract

FTFY
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    I have no official info, just speculation. I'm not sure where the ownership lies for deceased players or former MLB players, if there is something about HoF induction year or what but if I had to guess for a player that is no longer playing they are also no longer tied to any agreements of the MLBPA. It would be left up to the player if still living or their estate/organization/family if deceased.

Someone mentioned Roberto Clemente in a separate thread about the Pirate boxes; MLB still offers a Clement reward for community involvement and there is a Roberto Clemente Foundation which I would assume governs his likeness and how it is represented. With such a player and his work as a social activist I would venture a guess that it wouldn't fit within the orgs brand to allow his image be used for profit. Pure speculation on my part but I think with a lot of this Glu doesn't have as much of a say in which legends are in the game, hence all the recycled ones this year.
  • drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts
    I'd like to see a Roy Campinella (spelling). I read his bio when I was in second grade. I was almost a Dodger fan after that.

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

• Cooz19Cooz19 Registered Users 1,256 Posts
    ...Someone mentioned Roberto Clemente in a separate thread about the Pirate boxes; MLB still offers a Clement reward for community involvement and there is a Roberto Clemente Foundation which I would assume governs his likeness and how it is represented. With such a player and his work as a social activist I would venture a guess that it wouldn't fit within the orgs brand to allow his image be used for profit. Pure speculation on my part but I think with a lot of this Glu doesn't have as much of a say in which legends are in the game, hence all the recycled ones this year.
    Clemente, The Great One, would be my vote. But it touches on the larger issue Glu likely faces (and the one @dustyhunks mentioned). Without knowing the exact agreement the MLBPA has with the retired players (licensing deals weren't around back in the day and many players didn't put a dime into what's now the MLBPA). 

The union has a branch of their org that handles licensing agreements and they do it on a per-player basis in situations where more than one player is involved. How retired players fit into that gets a bit cloudy (the NFLPA, for example, doesn't represent retired players), but whatever it is, all players have the right to opt out. So retired/dead players likely would be selected on an individual basis. I'd imagine it'd be a matter of Glu saying they want x amount of retired players for the game, maybe ones at certain positions, and the union sets up those agreements. Game pays the union, union pays the player. 

So if Clemente's estate wanted in, I'm sure the game could work something out. Not sure how many Puerto Ricans play this game, but that seems to be where much of his foundation's efforts go.