What Happens Next?

SandlotGuruSandlotGuru Registered Users, Member 285 Posts
Being my first year, I'm not sure what to expect now that the baseball season is over.  I've been playing with the Astros as my "favorite team" over the past month to benefit from the live boosts, but are those boosts just gone until next March?  Or will some other equivalent take their place?  In general, will resources become easier to get?  I have a hoard of primes and legends that I have no ability to level and likely never will unless the resource scarcity changes in a big way.  In a nutshell, what major offseason changes can I expect that are intended to keep me interested?
Prev1

Comments

• babyjbootsbabyjboots Registered Users, Member 465 Posts
    Heh, nada mucho.  Same old and then it restarts when they release TSB 20 and everything starts over.
  • whammo911whammo911 Registered Users, Member 963 Posts
    Not for me, I will leisurely play this while suckers download 2020 and start all over. 
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Last year, things became significantly easier after the season ended. By that, I expect both players and resources to be easier. 
    There won't be a live team boost anymore, but they gave us that random 5% boost for a few hours and maybe we will see those again. 
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Wicked0WildcatsWicked0Wildcats Registered Users, Member 1,040 Posts
    There honestly isn't that big of a difference in TSB during the season and in the offseason besides the lack of live boosts.  As DFBB said resources may become easier to acquire.  PotWs are known as Game Changers in the offseason, but the temporary boost concept is the same.  New boxes will often be based on real life offseason happenings.  
    I guess I'd like them to add some type of finale to the season.  At least something we can shoot for to keep it going.  It turned into such an obvious money grab this year that they really need to do something different.
  • SandlotGuruSandlotGuru Registered Users, Member 285 Posts
    I'm not surprised by anything that's been said, just a little disappointed (per the usual).  I would imagine that a significant number of players will drop off soon just because football/basketball will be the more relevant sports for the next 5 months.  In a game that can't be "won", I suppose we all have to chose at what point we can claim victory and/or we lose interest.  I've got a diamond team with a strength of about 196K and I win about 99.9% of my games (except for season mode), so maybe I've already "won"?  I'll grind for another few weeks and see if anything tickles my fancy.        
    It does get easier, at least 18 did but again, what's the point?  Once they release a new one, we all start over again.  And it is funny that people crucify smart-a**es that say, don't buy anything and save blah blah but isn't that the smartest approach?  You know every 2 days players will become useless so keep saving until the max players come out and then dump everything into them.
    It does get easier, at least 18 did but again, what's the point?  Once they release a new one, we all start over again.  And it is funny that people crucify smart-a**es that say, don't buy anything and save blah blah but isn't that the smartest approach?  You know every 2 days players will become useless so keep saving until the max players come out and then dump everything into them.
    I would say that the objective of any game is to have fun. Therefore, the smartest approach always keeps that in mind. Whatever fun means for you, just go with that. 
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    If you are one that doesnt mind spending or spends occasionally look for more specials in the store.   Especially around Thanksgiving/Christmas.   
    Yes you are most certainly correct but from what I've read people aren't having loads of fun blowing tons of cash on a chance to get a player that will eventually suck.  I am venting because I have been irritated, not by not getting good boxes etc..., but by realizing why am I playing and what is the goal?  I'd really like to see a reason to keep going.  What can I do with a new 550 legend?  Why should I spend $20 to get that player?
    Granted, I'm old school and I'm used to buying a game for $50 and playing it and getting everything from it without having to spend $5 every week to keep going but still.
  • criffycriffy Registered Users, Member 625 Posts
    start playing mario kart like me :D:D
    God I used to love playing Mario Kart and Bond 007 in college.  So much fun with dudes lined up ready to rotate around and get the next round.  Loser has to move on.
    Yes you are most certainly correct but from what I've read people aren't having loads of fun blowing tons of cash on a chance to get a player that will eventually suck.  I am venting because I have been irritated, not by not getting good boxes etc..., but by realizing why am I playing and what is the goal?  I'd really like to see a reason to keep going.  What can I do with a new 550 legend?  Why should I spend $20 to get that player?
    '19 has deservedly been heavily criticized for many things, but a player's shelf life shouldn't be one of them. The slow pace of the game has meant that our players are viable for much longer than they've ever been in the past. As far as why you should keep playing? The short answer is that you shouldn't. If you want to, great. If not, don't. 
    Ouch, not sure that response is consistent with a TSB 19 evangelist.  Please enlighten me on the shelf life of players.  Perhaps I've been using mine incorrectly.
    Ouch, not sure that response is consistent with a TSB 19 evangelist.  Please enlighten me on the shelf life of players.  Perhaps I've been using mine incorrectly.
    I was a bit vague. I meant to say that you shouldn't feel like you 'have' to play a game. That in itself is a sign that you're not enjoying it. 
    As far as a player's shelf life, I've had my Scioscia for over 10 weeks and the only ones kicking rocks are the dude throwing him pitches. Over two months and he's still very good for HoF. In year's past, that wouldn't be the case. The key is to invest heavily(in skills) in 'elite' guys so that when they do fall off, they will still crush.
    Thanks for the tip.  I'll put more into skills.
    As far as playing, I do like to play and enjoy it but your approach of play or don't isn't realistic.  Are you going to go back to every post on here and tell everyone with an opinion to love it or leave it?
    Yeah, you're a team player but none of anyone's criticisms are unjustified.  I mean we just got an update that took minutes to load and play.  That is downright unacceptable and even at dumpiest places, people would get fired on the spot.
  • [Glu Sports] blueleopard[Glu Sports] blueleopard Administrator, Moderators 815 Posts
    We're doing something different with off-season boosts this year.  Stay tuned.
    Yeah, you're a team player but none of anyone's criticisms are unjustified.  I mean we just got an update that took minutes to load and play.  That is downright unacceptable and even at dumpiest places, people would get fired on the spot.
    Thanks for the tip.  I'll put more into skills.
    As far as playing, I do like to play and enjoy it but your approach of play or don't isn't realistic.  Are you going to go back to every post on here and tell everyone with an opinion to love it or leave it?
    I guess I'm not doing a good job of conveying my thoughts. I was under the impression that you simply don't enjoy the game anymore. At that point, it's pointless to convince you that a new legend is going to change your outlook, etc. My comment was a general statement of any game. For me, if I don't enjoy a game, I don't play it. If there are specific things that you want to discuss(like the shelf life of a player), then I'll be more than happy to address it. 
  • RookieTapperRookieTapper Registered Users, Member 160 Posts
    ^ I hear they’re making the Orioles team boost 75%, effective for 6 hours every day so someone will finally pick them as their favorite team. 
  • TheFullMonteTheFullMonte Registered Users, Member 1,589 Posts
    DFBB said:
    I was a bit vague. I meant to say that you shouldn't feel like you 'have' to play a game. That in itself is a sign that you're not enjoying it. 
    As far as a player's shelf life, I've had my Scioscia for over 10 weeks and the only ones kicking rocks are the dude throwing him pitches. Over two months and he's still very good for HoF. In year's past, that wouldn't be the case. The key is to invest heavily(in skills) in 'elite' guys so that when they do fall off, they will still crush.
    I’ve recently been converted to believing in the absolute necessity of high level skills guys.  It’s changed my team performance immensely 

the question I would have though is which level players are still in play at each level?

ie...if I’m gold...does it make any sense to spend the resources to level and increase skills for example, a 430 hitter?  Or do those now need to be reserved for 435 or 450 guys?
    That’s the “shelf life” equation I’m still trying to solve
    DFBB said:
    I’ve recently been converted to believing in the absolute necessity of high level skills guys.  It’s changed my team performance immensely 

the question I would have though is which level players are still in play at each level?

ie...if I’m gold...does it make any sense to spend the resources to level and increase skills for example, a 430 hitter?  Or do those now need to be reserved for 435 or 450 guys?
    Ideally, you wouldn't heavily invest in a player that's not at the current curve(520 is the current standard), but there are certainly exceptions. At gold, I don't think it's optimal to heavily invest in anyone below 450 and that's being conservative. Ultimately, it really depends on your team, resources, and time/willingness to spend money. 
    But don’t you have to have a mix of Prime and Legend guys?

i have Legends to get through 5.8-5.10....but don’t I still need those higher level Prime guys for the levels below that?

i certainly don’t have the LXP to have a full roster of Legends
  • criffycriffy Registered Users, Member 625 Posts
    @TheFullMonte I'm a gold player loaded with basically all legends. My 450 guys are starting to fall behind with the exception of Scioscia and rizzuto who I took to 16/16 on skills. They still work but are behind my 490s and 520s of whom most are at 12/12. Unless your guys are 500+ would advise you to save your pxp and lxp until you get a legend at that level with dual skills active for woh finishing purposes.  To get a guy to 16/16 you need 80k in both pxp and lxp for a single player. 

My $0.02
    So at this point, the PXP is better reserved for Skill leveling rather than leveling a new 430 or 450 guy?
    @DFBB - I thought I made my point in the beginning that there is no resolution to this game and there needs to be one.  You can't just go every year and say start over while leaving every player, bronze, silver...diamond with no real satisfaction saying they accomplished something.
    Everyone give me feedback on how they feel because I might very well be in the minority on this.
  • BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    This game is about the journey, not a destination. If you want resolution you have to create your own goals to achieve. First time to beat walk-off in a given year, cvc round over “X”, first cycle cap of a player, etc. 

I don’t mind starting over. You learn your lessons from the previous version and get a fresh start. The keepers are a nice way to keep some of what you built, but starting over works for me 
  • eman0023eman0023 Registered Users, Member 156 Posts
    @DFBB - I thought I made my point in the beginning that there is no resolution to this game and there needs to be one.  You can't just go every year and say start over while leaving every player, bronze, silver...diamond with no real satisfaction saying they accomplished something.
    Everyone give me feedback on how they feel because I might very well be in the minority on this.
    Have you ever heard of “Ultimate Team” Madden, Fifa, NBA2K (is similar), etc. This isn’t the first company to keep gamers striving for more/better players without an “endgame.” 

I’ll tell you none of those games above have any carry over year to year to my knowledge what’s so ever. The fact TSB has had keepers is nice in that aspect. Fifa UT is the highest grossing game each year and it brings ppl back year after year for 10 yrs now, and everyone starts from scratch every single year.