Leadoff Skill

DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
Despite displaying otherwise, it's my very strong opinion that the new 'leadoff' skill does NOT work in WoH. Maybe it's the way WoH is structured(no batting order), but it appears to work just fine in CvC. I recently had the skills of my custom player changed to 2x leadoff and now, I'm hoping that I can get it changed back to 2x late innings. Disappointing would be quite the understatement. :(
If you're not having fun, you're losing.
Prev1

Comments

• JudgeJudge Registered Users, Member 64 Posts
    Uh oh!!   😫
  • WaveburnerWaveburner Registered Users, Member 290 Posts
    Do you have a specific reason for believing this @DFBB ? Did you get poor WOH results from your custom legend? 
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Do you have a specific reason for believing this @DFBB ? Did you get poor WOH results from your custom legend? 
    Extremely poor results. The type I'd expect from a player that had no skills active...
  • ReadingFightingPhilsReadingFightingPhils Registered Users, Member 305 Posts
    Wow, so even if a skill is shown as active, it might not be active?  @Houmy It seems like skillgate is back
  • WaveburnerWaveburner Registered Users, Member 290 Posts
    Interesting and thanks for sharing DFBB, you are a fountain of information on this site!

TBH, the skill that bugs me is the "first pitch" skill. As a baseball fan, having a skill labelled "first pitch" active in events where the count is either 3-0 or 3-2 drives me crazy. I know I should be happy this works in my favor, but I like baseball and this just makes zero sense LOL
  • mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    Oh wow that’s a bummer.. I’m sure they will switch him back. 
    Wow, so even if a skill is shown as active, it might not be active?  @Houmy It seems like skillgate is back
    While this is just my opinion, I'm also rather certain of it. That said, I always advise guys try things for themselves. Personally, it would be very difficult for me to take someone else's word for it w/o experimenting on my own. 
  • ReadingFightingPhilsReadingFightingPhils Registered Users, Member 305 Posts
    DFBB said:
    While this is just my opinion, I'm also rather certain of it. That said, I always advise guys try things for themselves. Personally, it would be very difficult for me to take someone else's word for it w/o experimenting on my own. 
    Hard to really know unless the wizard behind the curtain reveals himself.
  • BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    DFBB said:
    Hard to really know unless the wizard behind the curtain reveals himself.
    “Pay no attention to the skills that are glowing”
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    Yea unfortunately this makes me skeptical of all the new skills until proven otherwise
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    edited October 2019
    @Mattattack Man, I am skeptical of most all of them given Glu's inability to tell us exactly how they work haha.
  • BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    Yea unfortunately this makes me skeptical of all the new skills until proven otherwise
    So they are all as useful as pitcher skills?
    Batter skills are much more useful than pitcher skills. Each point into a starting batter's skill adds 180 to TS whereas each point into an SP's skill only adds 150 to the TS. :)
  • MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts

Glu's refusal to tell us how these skills work in specific events is ridiculous.  Promoting discussion is one thing, but it's an unsolvable riddle in many cases.  Nobody knows if RISP, Runners on, First pitch, etc., "turn off" or not.  It's unknown and unknowable.  That's just disingenuous on Glu's part--making us pay for resources because we think we know how the game works, but really don't.

Anecdotally, I'm pretty sure Runners On does turn off.  Eddie Mathews consistently dominated until he mashed a bases clearing homerun, at which point the hits didn't come as readily.  That said, maybe it was just predestined to be a failed round.  We don't know.  Which is my point. 

• MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    Ill let @Houmy handle that one
  • HoumyHoumy Registered Users, Member 3,889 Posts
    Ill let @Houmy handle that one
    Pitcher skills were the most useless option in this game until the introduction of stickers. But at least stickers won't eat up resources that you'll need to spend $$$ to replenish. 🤬🤬🤬🤬
    "Get ready for some NFTs" - VIP NEWSLETTER ca. 2022

edited October 2019
    I'll tell you what, those stickers are really useful for those certain times when you just need to tell someone COOL STORY BRO DEAL WITH IT which in my case is all the time.

• fahhq2fahhq2 Registered Users, Member 850 Posts
    DFBB said:
    Despite displaying otherwise, it's my very strong opinion that the new 'leadoff' skill does NOT work in WoH. Maybe it's the way WoH is structured(no batting order), but it appears to work just fine in CvC. I recently had the skills of my custom player changed to 2x leadoff and now, I'm hoping that I can get it changed back to 2x late innings. Disappointing would be quite the understatement. :(
    So what ur saying is u originally had LI skills, then changed them to LO and now want them changed again??? I’m sorry @DFBB, but maybe you should make up ur mind. To be allowed a change kinda sucks, but to change it again is pollo caca, really. Man up and live with the decision you made the first time...or at least the second one. Maybe Debbie is the appropriate name. I’m just saying...
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    lol @DFBB he does have a point. lol
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
    edited October 2019
    fahhq2 said:
    DFBB said:
    So what ur saying is u originally had LI skills, then changed them to LO and now want them changed again??? I’m sorry @DFBB, but maybe you should make up ur mind. To be allowed a change kinda sucks, but to change it again is pollo caca, really. Man up and live with the decision you made the first time...or at least the second one. Maybe Debbie is the appropriate name. I’m just saying...
    The point of this thread is to create awareness of the leadoff skill. How you feel about my custom player, my decision about the skills, or their willingness to adjust those skills? Why does that matter to you? I'm just asking....

edit: the fact that I've requested a change away from what is, on paper, the best skill set for an atg is my way of putting my money where my mouth is. 
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    fahhq2 said:
    DFBB said:
    It appears that the skill either isn't working as it should, or is working as it should but is displayed inaccurately (which I'm assuming is the reason behind the switch request). I'm personally surprised Debbie didn't choose double blowout- active at 5.10/6.10 and great for CVC 🤔 I would've probably gone with double late innings as well, though
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
    To update, my custom player was changed back to 2x late innings and it was business as usual in HoF. I boosted 80g five times at 6.10 and didn't make a single out. The rest of my cycles, I used 40g(lost twice). I also had zero Ls anywhere else and might've made just a handful of outs all day at 5.10. To summarize, I have no faith in leadoff for WoH, but it appears to work as expected in other modes. Of course, this was just my experience so take that as you may. 
  • Wicked0WildcatsWicked0Wildcats Registered Users, Member 1,040 Posts
    Essentially I trust late innings, WOH, RHP, and LHP skills as being active in WOH.  Everything else is open for debate as to whether it begins and stays 100% active.  
    I am telling you guys blowout stays active. There is no way I would have the success with them that I do if they had one skill completely inactive for half the round or more.
  • EProspectPhilsEProspectPhils Registered Users, Member 112 Posts
    This probably falls under the category of results may vary.  I use Adam Frazier 435 with leadoff and first pitch.  I have his skills both at 12.  I have never lost a sim or manual play in WOH with him.  I have not seen any indication that his skills were not working correctly in WOH.  He does not slot in as my top lefty by any means, but I have not seen personal evidence that the skill was not working.  Statistically overall, he does fantastic for me, outperforming Keeper Will Clark 495 skills 14 14, Reggie Jackson 470 skills 12 12, Mike Scoscia 450 skills 17 17 (3-3 on 6-10 for me this week), Lenny Dykstra 490 skills 12 12.   Warning I am a glass half full kind of guy.
  • criffycriffy Registered Users, Member 625 Posts
    JEDDDOGGY said:
    I am telling you guys blowout stays active. There is no way I would have the success with them that I do if they had one skill completely inactive for half the round or more.
    after leveling up boog this week, i may have turned into a believer... thinking about taking boog to 20/20 once i get another 20k in lxp... the gold investment though, so tough to give up as a gold player.
    JEDDDOGGY said:
    For the record, I've never tried blowouts for WoH. My opinion was largely based on faith in glu(LOL) and I usually have ideal finishers that took priority. On top of that, they don't age well. That said, if I had to take a position, I'd be on your side of things. 
    @DFBB Yeah I was always too pessimistic about blowout to try it in WOH until this year. I was forced into it because I believe Jeff McNeil was the first blowout skill prime I had so essentially had to give him a whirl. Was pleasantly surprised to say the least!
    JEDDDOGGY said:
    @DFBB Yeah I was always too pessimistic about blowout to try it in WOH until this year. I was forced into it because I believe Jeff McNeil was the first blowout skill prime I had so essentially had to give him a whirl. Was pleasantly surprised to say the least!
    It's not blowouts, but Eddie Mathews(vs rhp/MOB) has lost just once in about 40 attempts(all with 40g) at 6.9 the past two weeks. I've officially moved him ahead of Edmonds in the pecking order. haha
    Haha Yup! Same here, it's Mathews then Powell to close things out for me.