Options

WOH 7 levels this weekend?

123457Next

Comments

• Options
    fatDaddyfatDaddy Registered Users, Member 318 Posts
    I thought this weekend was really fun. I don't have a lot of time Mondays to cycle cap (to Gold), but I managed to cycle a dozen times this weekend while spending about 3x the gold I'd normally spend on a weekend event.
     After capping and stockpiling 100k+ LXP, I was able to focus on other events and got a 2nd place win for the Club to finally move us to Majors. No one else in my club was able to beat WoH, but they still had fun jockeying for position in the Top 5.
  • Options
    mastodonrocksmastodonrocks Registered Users, Member 55 Posts
    Like it or not so much, it sure beats the normal weekend.  With family commitments and all I still managed 6 cycles at night mostly and spent about 12k gold in total for the whole weekend.  I normally spend almost no gold on the weekend so if anyone else was like me, I can see GLU keeping this format.   Maybe tweak it a bit for teams that can't do level seven.  Maybe implement an "escape' option where you could just clear level 6 and start over.  Not sure how that would work really but I know some of my club mates just couldn't clear level 7 and therefor didn't care about WOH
  • Options
    DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    fatDaddy said:
    I thought this weekend was really fun. I don't have a lot of time Mondays to cycle cap (to Gold), but I managed to cycle a dozen times this weekend while spending about 3x the gold I'd normally spend on a weekend event.
     After capping and stockpiling 100k+ LXP, I was able to focus on other events and got a 2nd place win for the Club to finally move us to Majors. No one else in my club was able to beat WoH, but they still had fun jockeying for position in the Top 5.
    Normally, I only do cvc on weekends and just ignore the prime events. However, this past weekend, I spent very little time on cvc because time on cvc meant time away from woh! lol
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Options
    snowy24snowy24 Registered Users, Member 304 Posts
    I enjoyed it. I wish I could have played the entire weekend, but I could only play at night. It was really difficult in gold, but managed to cycle 5 times. 
  • Options
    bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    All you can eat WOH!
  • Options
    whammo911whammo911 Registered Users, Member 963 Posts
    DFBB said:
    Normally, I only do cvc on weekends and just ignore the prime events. However, this past weekend, I spent very little time on cvc because time on cvc meant time away from woh! lol
    That definitely was my experience this weekend. To take an hour away from cycling woh would have been wasting 17k lxp, 5-8k pxp, and 60k bxp. Cycle capped 3 legends and finished the last few levels on other guys.
  • Options
    dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    edited November 2019
    DFBB said:
    While I understand it, this weekend WOH is definitely geared toward the highest of the higher end players and the big spenders.  It's not a great fit for those of us who are marginal HOF players and/or need a lot of gold to cycle.  Meanwhile the studs are going to absolutely clean up this weekend on resources and further their gap between the casual tier.  

The rich are going to get richer.
    That was basically my feedback on Friday. I said that while I love the hell out of the format, I'm not so sure it's a good thing for the community. It was easy if you had a top end team(in diamond), but a real struggle if you had holes in your lineup. The end result is exactly how @Wicked0Wildcats described: the rich get richer. 
    On the flip side, this weekend was the exact opposite of the first royal weekend, which essentially helped many play 'catch up' while the more advanced teams just ignored WoH. 
    I know many felt that the difficulty was overboard, but relative to the rewards(which were amazing), I'd say that the scale was more than fair. From a diamond perspective, each cycle(once the reward players were capped) was a gain of roughly: +100k bxp, +7k pxp, +19k lxp, +cash. Here's some food for thought: many are quick to buy mega lxp boxes and comparatively speaking, in order to get 19k lxp, it will cost almost 4k gold.
    Personally, I made out like a bandit and my team definitely leveled up. At the very least, I hope guys had fun. 

Just my 2 cents...

I'm not going to complain about the varying scope in WoH difficulty throughout the event as I ultimately benefited overall quite a bit. But having people from various chats leave the chat because they knew it was an unattainable goal (cycle cap) should be all the feedback Glu needs about the next Royale. Swinging between extremes in first two weekend Royale's (much like this WoH difficulty) on top of two top multipliers this weekend also benefiting diamond teams just ends up diminishing their player base. One less level of the tower and a 500 legend while keeping HoF difficulty with ATG's last two would have been an acceptable balance.

Comparing last weekend Royale to a catchup session misses the mark as well. I used all that bxp to finish capping keepers which have variance in value for teams depending on how much or well you played in 18 IF AT ALL. I also capped my bxp bullpen, which is great in diamond for bg's and tourney's but I seriously doubt any gold team that's been consistently capping HoF reward had any real interest in the first Royale weekend as well. We all need the premium xp, some of us more than others. The people that were hurt the most by both weekends were the marginal diamond players that have gaps enough to not get the cycle cap done this weekend and didn't benefit from all the bxp and bxp players the first Royale weekend. They may leave the chat for good if it goes down this way again...
  • Options
    bigvivec said:
    All you can eat WOH!

This irks me to no end. Throwing THE MOST popular event in on a literal HUGE holiday (in US) and then the most coveted club accolade to boot is recipe for more xp hamstringing over a long weekend. I mean really, are these guys at the top just salty dogs that NEED the money? Are we looking at them in the wrong light? I just don't get it.
  • Options
    MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts
    bigvivec said:
    All you can eat WOH!

This irks me to no end. Throwing THE MOST popular event in on a literal HUGE holiday (in US) and then the most coveted club accolade to boot is recipe for more xp hamstringing over a long weekend. I mean really, are these guys at the top just salty dogs that NEED the money? Are we looking at them in the wrong light? I just don't get it.

I'm going to hang in my solo club on Thursday.  Normally, I'd be salivating at the chance to play WOH for the discount, but I can't ruin my family's holiday by spending it cycle capping and grinding for club points.

That said, a few years ago Ted Williams was the WOH reward on Christmas day.  I cycle capped him that day, 10 cycles i believe.  The tower was a lot easier back then though, i didn't have to concentrate as much and each cycle was quicker.  I can't do that again.  

• Options
    BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    Metsicans said:
    bigvivec said:
    All you can eat WOH!

I'm going to hang in my solo club on Thursday.  Normally, I'd be salivating at the chance to play WOH for the discount, but I can't ruin my family's holiday by spending it cycle capping and grinding for club points.

That said, a few years ago Ted Williams was the WOH reward on Christmas day.  I cycle capped him that day, 10 cycles i believe.  The tower was a lot easier back then though, i didn't have to concentrate as much and each cycle was quicker.  I can't do that again.  

Exactly the same on all accounts. I did it with Ted and won’t be making that mistake again. The worst part about the Ted was that after spending all Christmas Day to cycle cap him, the signature version of him was a bonus the next day, not the version we cycle capped 
  • Options
    dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    I remember that Daniel!!!!. That was some real BS.
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • Options
    I am going to come out and say it. This weekend literally killed my family time, instead of spending time with them I was glued to the phone cycle capping for 3 days. Why? Because we all need the premium xp and of course we didn't see any mega boxes in store all weekend. So I had no choice but to grind WOH for 3 days to cap Teddy at 50%.

We all make decisions, and this was a poor one by me. I hope you all dont do the same on Thursday and spend the time with your family and friends. GLU knows one sure way to get its core players back into the game, and guess what. This is it, WOH buffets for days and days. Smart? Sure, but at the cost of ruining my family and home life? No thanks. I love the weekend royale but as someone who loves WOH I simply cannot do it for 3, 4 or 5 days of the week. Again, personal choices we are all forced to make. But when I see that XP up for grabs my ego kicks in and tells my brains to start cyclin my ass off for resources. Maybe Im wrong here, I duno. I smoked a ton of Mary this weekend keeping me sane from all the cycles and maybe im seeing this the wrong way.
    – The Great Houmy
  • Options
    retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,856 Posts
    Is there really walk off on Thursday? I was able to get one whole cycle in this weekend as I was working, and I only get one day off every other week. another walk-off on Thursday? I'll be off, but I'm getting smashed with my family watching football drinking beer and eating food. I know there's going to be a lot of dudes that play, but dang man this game wants too much out of us.
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • Options
    dkarski87 said:
    I am going to come out and say it. This weekend literally killed my family time, instead of spending time with them I was glued to the phone cycle capping for 3 days. Why? Because we all need the premium xp and of course we didn't see any mega boxes in store all weekend. So I had no choice but to grind WOH for 3 days to cap Teddy at 50%.

We all make decisions, and this was a poor one by me. I hope you all dont do the same on Thursday and spend the time with your family and friends. GLU knows one sure way to get its core players back into the game, and guess what. This is it, WOH buffets for days and days. Smart? Sure, but at the cost of ruining my family and home life? No thanks. I love the weekend royale but as someone who loves WOH I simply cannot do it for 3, 4 or 5 days of the week. Again, personal choices we are all forced to make. But when I see that XP up for grabs my ego kicks in and tells my brains to start cyclin my ass off for resources. Maybe Im wrong here, I duno. I smoked a ton of Mary this weekend keeping me sane from all the cycles and maybe im seeing this the wrong way.
    Here is my club this weekend 

• Options
    drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts

In order of fairness and consistency, I will provide a final update after my observations most of the day yesterday:

Due to the fact that I'm currently addicted to WoH, I reluctantly tried to finish out that cycle. I picked up the game a few hours later and was finally able to get different patterns/pitch sequences that allowed for a fairer chance. Once that was available, and I wasn't being curved out after each run I put up, I was able to clear Level 5.

It took a couple of shots, but I got through six.

When I hit Level 7 again, the pattern came back. Early rounds were impossible. So, I did my "early round closers test" again. Sure enough. Closers getting curved out on rounds 1-4, or the pattern of score, then curve out. Put the game down again, then picked it up about an hour before event closing.

Finally got a different pattern again, got to round 8, then the pattern started over. LOL. Beat 8 with HR's (with men on base you could beat the pattern, but only with HRs). On 9, same pattern. Scored, curve out. Score, curve out. Score, curve out. Video reboot, got a different pattern, beat it, then beat Ruth for my fourth time through on the weekend.

All this said, I enjoyed this weekend's WoH set up and prizes. I know I'm not supposed to win each round. I get that. I just wish they would at least keep the game "playable" for the majority of the users the entire time. I had a lot of free time to play but didn't when those insane patterns kicked in.

Like I said, the good thing was the pattern was so predictable, you at least knew not to go crazy and just put the game up for a while.

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

• Options
    @drsmartassphd you have heard it here many times. As the pitchers get better in WOH the gap gets larger especially in lower levels. Thats why your getting curved to death. Unless all your top batters are 20/20 your going to have issues on a tower like this. The gap difference in silver is almost non existent. Do you have enough resources to level up?
    – The Great Houmy
  • Options
    Is there really walk off on Thursday? I was able to get one whole cycle in this weekend as I was working, and I only get one day off every other week. another walk-off on Thursday? I'll be off, but I'm getting smashed with my family watching football drinking beer and eating food. I know there's going to be a lot of dudes that play, but dang man this game wants too much out of us.
    It's really too much. I may just go super causual, cycle d6 and send CS screenshots of all the gold I'm not spending with every 10k attained. Bleh.
  • Options
    retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,856 Posts
    edited November 2019
    It's really too much. I may just go super causual, cycle d6 and send CS screenshots of all the gold I'm not spending with every 10k attained. Bleh.
    I think that's where I land as well. I'm not a part of the "hardcore guys" that have an extreme amount of time on their hands, but I've been doing my best to stay as close to them as I can all year while being able to compete with them every now and again. Instead of doing that, I think it's best to take a step back and fit in more with the casual guys. 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • Options
    eman0023eman0023 Registered Users, Member 156 Posts
    dkarski87 said:

Man I wish I had that Majors bracket lol. I was 8th in my Majors bracket with 25 billion!
  • Options
    matt_sackettmatt_sackett Registered Users, Member 1,540 Posts
    dkarski87 said:

Time for a new Screen Protector man.
    Nothing in life is as beautiful as the Balsamic thread.

• Options
    dkarski87 said:

Time for a new Screen Protector man.
    That’s my old phone. It just houses the placeholder for my club. Just there for invites. If I cared about the phone at all I would get a new one, but meh 
  • Options
    tocopan18tocopan18 Registered Users, Member 803 Posts
    buddydave said:
    tocopan18 said:
    buddydave said:
    @tocopan18 congrats! What do you have Schmidt’s skills at?
    Both skills at 12%
    Thanks for letting me know that it’s doable! I was able to get it done with Schmidt at 8/8 and an 80 gold boost.  :o
    it was definitely doable at gold and using the keepers. I ended up cycling 7 times!! No gold retry at all, just video retries and the gold boost, sometimes 80 gold, sometimes only 40. Mike Schmidt at gold 10 with both skills at 12% did a fine job. I had never cycled cap a player before since I'm usually too lazy to cycle that many times this year. But since moving to gold the legend xp has become even more of a premium for me.
    Oh, and also it didn't hurt pulling Vanslyke once from the level 5 boxes.
  • Options
    JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    edited November 2019
    dustyhunks said:

Yeah... I'm not sure this is Glu's best move here. Guess they have to try as much as they can to pry us away from our families on Thanksgiving to instead spend time and money on their phone game. I don't know how many people will be in my situation come Friday, but since I'm basically missing the Thursday event there will be no weekend discount and thus no reason for me to go hard leveling up bonus players for weekend.

This past weekend really pissed me off with the extra extra difficulty and one more level on the tower with only a moderate increase in the reward (500 to 510 legend, plus a crappy prime). And who gives a rat's behind about blue XP at this point because I have bazillions of that. I still cycle capped the reward player for CvC but otherwise, I played the game a lot less (which is fine).

• Options
    It's a go. Operation DILLIGAF engaged!!