One of these things is not like the other...

13Next

Comments

  • bigvivecbigvivec 2,134 PostsRegistered Users, Member
    bigvivec said:
    I don’t know what kind of squalor you find yourself surrounded by, but thank god we have not reached the point where ass and bitch are not profane.  Try either in a professional setting.....not going to fly.  Kids read this page;  moderators are here for those like you who have a personalized view of the world to keep this ship on course and free us of the straight up nastiness it could quickly devolve to (reference any of a number of LINE chats).  Anyone who claims that they don’t know the limits AND who has at least two peas rattling around. between their ears will QUICKLY find out what is and what is not permissible while testing boundaries like a 3 year old.  What is profane?!?!  Give me a break and grow up;  if you seriously can’t sort it, guess what?!?  That’s what moderators are literally there for!!!!!!

    Profanity is the refuge of the intellectually limited......command a stronger control over language and points can be made without resorting to base instinct.  
    I disagree, bro. there are some studies out there that suggest people who curse actually have a broader vocabulary, and may be happier and less stressful in life. We don't allow ourselves to be so restricted that we don't even feel comfortable using every word available to us. That doesn't mean I run around and call people a c**t or use racial slurs, but if my ass itches then my ass itches. I would be quite surprised to find that there are any minors participating in this here forum, but if there are they can definitely watch just about any program on tv and hear the word "bitch." However, the posted rules do state no profanity; so there's that 🙃
    I just read this again........LOL, are you really arguing for television to be the barometer for determining acceptable language and behavior?!?!??    Get a grip!!!!!!   I’m guessing you don’t have kids yet.......the say Euphoria sets the standard for what is the norm and acceptable in my household is the day I throw said tv out the window for good.  
  • criffycriffy 513 PostsRegistered Users, Member
    I've got quite the potty mouth myself but that's my every day vernacular. Wouldn't say it has anything to do with intellect but more of a product of your surroundings... you hear more curses/swears around you, the more likely you use them
  • retirepujolsretirepujols 2,905 PostsRegistered Users, Member
    bigvivec said:
    I just read this again........LOL, are you really arguing for television to be the barometer for determining acceptable language and behavior?!?!??    Get a grip!!!!!!   I’m guessing you don’t have kids yet.......the say Euphoria sets the standard for what is the norm and acceptable in my household is the day I throw said tv out the window for good.  
    That's a reach, I have two children aged 7 and 8 😬 one of each sex, at that. What I'm saying is kids will hear curse words on TV, in movies, in music, from friends, just walking into a convenience store. I don't believe for a second their curse cherry will be popped on this here forum. 
    Just me in my world of enemies.
  • bigvivecbigvivec 2,134 PostsRegistered Users, Member
    edited December 2019
    I will never allow tv to dictate morality in my household.  In fact, it is absolutely the opposite;  I carefully monitor what my kids watch and are exposed to and have done since they were toddlers.  

    Curse cherries aside, there are enough places in this world that kids and myself are exposed to the less than savory.......just cause I saw a glory hole in use in Penn Station one time doesn’t mean I’m ok with that or that a video of such should be posted here.   Time and place for everything and I for one am happy with the job the mods do here, keeping it rated pg....in the end it’s a chat page for users of a baseball app.....lots of places on the net and in the world to go if you need something stronger in your coffee.  
  • retirepujolsretirepujols 2,905 PostsRegistered Users, Member
    bigvivec said:
    Because it is a f**king vividly too close to be not true characterization of the winners on here.........kudos to the one handed matador who penned that!
    bigvivec said:
    Profanity is the refuge of the intellectually limited......command a stronger control over language and points can be made without resorting to base instinct.  
    By the way, I believe we can all enjoy a little profanity from time to time 😬 the ** cover them up, but the message remains the same 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Just me in my world of enemies.
  • retirepujolsretirepujols 2,905 PostsRegistered Users, Member
    edited December 2019
    bigvivec said:
    I will never allow tv to dictate morality in my household.  In fact, it is absolutely the opposite;  I carefully monitor what my kids watch and are exposed to and have done since they were toddlers.  
    That's one approach, and I have no (nor would I ever want to have) influence on the approaches you take! I do believe overly censoring children can do more damage than help as they may not be fully prepared for the cold world around them, but that's just me! I'm also not arguing that TV should dictate anything, I think you may have misread something I said (or I didn't deliver my message well enough). Either way, I agree TV should not be a basis for morality, that would lead to Idiocracy coming to fruition 😵 what a dumb movie, by the way 😂
    Just me in my world of enemies.
  • Cooz19Cooz19 Experienced Member 1,007 PostsRegistered Users
    criffy said:
    I've got quite the potty mouth myself but that's my every day vernacular. Wouldn't say it has anything to do with intellect but more of a product of your surroundings... you hear more curses/swears around you, the more likely you use them
    I'd argue pretty easily throughout history the roughness of language used isn't just wrongly thought to be a sign of intellect, leaning on that nonsense rhetoric is more of a sign of xenophobia, elitism, classism and racism within a group that's too insecure with others not being like them. 
  • Cooz19Cooz19 Experienced Member 1,007 PostsRegistered Users
    edited December 2019
    bigvivec said:
    bigvivec said:
    I don’t know what kind of squalor you find yourself surrounded by, but thank god we have not reached the point where ass and bitch are not profane.  Try either in a professional setting.....not going to fly.  Kids read this page;  moderators are here for those like you who have a personalized view of the world to keep this ship on course and free us of the straight up nastiness it could quickly devolve to (reference any of a number of LINE chats).  Anyone who claims that they don’t know the limits AND who has at least two peas rattling around. between their ears will QUICKLY find out what is and what is not permissible while testing boundaries like a 3 year old.  What is profane?!?!  Give me a break and grow up;  if you seriously can’t sort it, guess what?!?  That’s what moderators are literally there for!!!!!!

    Profanity is the refuge of the intellectually limited......command a stronger control over language and points can be made without resorting to base instinct.  
    I disagree, bro. there are some studies out there that suggest people who curse actually have a broader vocabulary, and may be happier and less stressful in life. We don't allow ourselves to be so restricted that we don't even feel comfortable using every word available to us. That doesn't mean I run around and call people a c**t or use racial slurs, but if my ass itches then my ass itches. I would be quite surprised to find that there are any minors participating in this here forum, but if there are they can definitely watch just about any program on tv and hear the word "bitch." However, the posted rules do state no profanity; so there's that 🙃
    I just read this again........LOL, are you really arguing for television to be the barometer for determining acceptable language and behavior?!?!??    Get a grip!!!!!!   I’m guessing you don’t have kids yet.......the say Euphoria sets the standard for what is the norm and acceptable in my household is the day I throw said tv out the window for good.  
    Yet another example of incorrect assumptions because you can't possibly imagine someone taking a stance other than your own having the same experiences as you. 

    ps people who use multiple exclamation points (base instinct of emotional expression) are dumber than those who write in a grammatically correct fashion. It's true because I said it is. And lecturing people on TV usage when you are here or playing a mobile game for several hours a day rings pretty hollow. 
  • ShoveItUpYoenis2ShoveItUpYoenis2 599 PostsRegistered Users, Member
    Alter schwede, dieser thread läuft aus der bahn! Ausreißerzug!

    Moral of the thread, if we want to curse write it in German and the moderators won’t edit it. Compromise  :)
  • cooldowncanadacubscooldowncanadacubs 305 PostsRegistered Users, Member
    Alter schwede, dieser thread läuft aus der bahn! Ausreißerzug!

    Moral of the thread, if we want to curse write it in German and the moderators won’t edit it. Compromise  :)
    Good point...I couldn’t stop myself from thinking of this  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XV_Zc-tsLHo
  • retirepujolsretirepujols 2,905 PostsRegistered Users, Member

    @retirepujols, I copied and pasted what you wrote in German... this is what google showed me...

    lol, I don't know how I missed this 😂 alter schwede means "old Swede" as in a swedish person, but is used as slang for something like "wow!" 
    Just me in my world of enemies.
  • cooldowncanadacubscooldowncanadacubs 305 PostsRegistered Users, Member
    In North America it’s referred to as “steely dan”. It appears the German steel companies took it that extra mile
  • bigvivecbigvivec 2,134 PostsRegistered Users, Member
    bigvivec said:
    Because it is a f**king vividly too close to be not true characterization of the winners on here.........kudos to the one handed matador who penned that!
    bigvivec said:
    Profanity is the refuge of the intellectually limited......command a stronger control over language and points can be made without resorting to base instinct.  
    By the way, I believe we can all enjoy a little profanity from time to time 😬 the ** cover them up, but the message remains the same 🤷🏻‍♂️
    ;)
  • ToughthundercatsToughthundercats New Member 496 PostsRegistered Users, Member
    edited December 2019
    bigvivec said:
    LOL.....what kind of flaccid cooz would I be if I didn’t believe my opinion was right?!?   Should I soften it with a “I’m not sure but I think that....” or “well, it’s just my opinion but....”. Would that be less threatening?!  I’m not apologetic for having strong opinions nor am I going to complain about a contrary one.......what I will do and what is the essence of good debate and EXACTLY what somewhat anonymous and impersonal internet message boards are built for is to be able to debate subjects and fully represent for a given point of view without any regard for social consequences in the wake of the debate (a nice way of saying sticks and stones son.....). Anyway, the conversation is done a disservice if one or the other sides lacks conviction...........if you disagree with what I say step up and argue why I am wrong, or better still argue for something different proving my point of view as flawed, weak or incorrect.  The cop out is to attack the opponent personally.......making fun or otherwise belittling them........all that means is that you are out of ideas and don’t have anything else to actually bring to the table.  I get this a lot from you and it disappoints me cause I would like to have a well reasoned heated debate rather than just get called names.    
    Well said! If someone disagrees say why you disagree. I love hearing a different perspective on things. Will it change my mind, probably not on this topic but there have been other threads that have. That is the beauty of living in the free world. We have the right to voice our opinion and I like hearing it as long as it is constructive and it's not "your opinion is stupid" and there is no basis behind it. If you think my opinion is stupid then state why it is... constructively. At the end of the day,  I would want to agree to disagree and just have fun playing this game. That's what we all are here for anyways. Everyone in this forum are great people and add awesome content. That's what makes this forum so useful and at times entertaining and fun to be apart of. As long as we can do our best to keep it clean.
  • drsmartassphddrsmartassphd 1,104 PostsRegistered Users, Member

    I'd argue pretty easily throughout history the roughness of language used isn't just wrongly thought to be a sign of intellect, leaning on that nonsense rhetoric is more of a sign of xenophobia, elitism, classism and racism within a group that's too insecure with others not being like them. 

    Oh Gosh, let's please not turn this place into an SJW Virtue Signaling competition.

    I really do have a PhD. Also,my team is Gold. Don't know if anyone is aware of this.....

  • retirepujolsretirepujols 2,905 PostsRegistered Users, Member
    edited December 2019

    Oh Gosh, let's please not turn this place into an SJW Virtue Signaling competition.

    Such as being offended by some "naughty" words on a forum? 😬 

    Before someone takes that seriously, I was just taking an easy shot 🙃
    Just me in my world of enemies.
  • DFBBDFBB 4,229 PostsRegistered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator
    Closing this thread. Beyond being tired of constantly deleting posts, it's run it's course. Also, @bigvivec, @Cooz19 is NOT the one disagreeing with you. Guys, let's just move on.
    Mi casa es su casa...except during cvc. 
This discussion has been closed.