on-fire skill

criffycriffy Registered Users, Member 625 Posts
has anyone used a guy with it for walk off? working on a new theory on skills on/off to see if anyone has previously used a guy with on-fire for the later stages for 3+ runs down. if so, can you post who you used and what the situation was?
Prev1

Comments

• babyjbootsbabyjboots Registered Users, Member 465 Posts
    I've used a couple 450 max players with it.  It was hard to tell if it works but I'm a believer that skills can be enabled or disabled at each at-bat.  If they didn't, so many skills would be pointless.
  • AccelmanAccelman Registered Users, Member 65 Posts
    Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing too. Pulled 540 Evans with LHP/Blowout & 540 Grich with LHP/Hot Hitter. Not sure which skill is best TBH. 
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    Personally Im not a huge fan of woh skills that dont start the round activated.  I feel like getting a positive first AB/Pitch sequence goes a long way to determining the round.

I also am wrong alot tho :*
  • RippersRippers Registered Users, Member 332 Posts
    I've had Kruk at D10 with skills at 20/20 for weeks. My experience with him in WOH tells me it was a very expensive mistake to cap him to beat RH pitchers in WOH. He is very good in all other games though. In the future I won't invest in a WOH  closer who's skills are not active to begin the round and preferably stay on. 
    With the amount of legends that have the hot hitter skill, I am assumed to think that it's valuable.  If someone has other data, let me know.
  • cb11cb11 Registered Users, Member 341 Posts
    I think it's good in CVC but not as useful in WOH
  • bigvivecbigvivec Registered Users, Member 2,133 Posts
    With the amount of legends that have the hot hitter skill, I am assumed to think that it's valuable.  If someone has other data, let me know.
    Assume nothing.......it only makes an ASS out of U and ME.

(from my 9th grade biology teacher......hit us with that three times a week)
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    I feel it is the other way around. I've pulled Posada 12 times so far, and I don't think GLU is being generous by giving me a valuable legend so often. I feel like he's the the common pull- because his skills are less than desirable 🤷🏻‍♂️
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • LonzoBallinLonzoBallin Registered Users, Member 637 Posts
    Going back to last season I am a very strong believer that the hot hitter skill does not activate during WOH.  Last season I was cycling WOH regularly, and then I pulled Legend Fred McGriff who was one of the first legends released.  He had the hot hitter skill, and his numbers were vastly superior to everyone else on my roster.  For several weeks I used him on 5.10 and I could no longer beat WOH, I didn't know what was wrong.  Then, I decided to use one of my lower ranked players whose skills were definitely active, and I began cycling again.  Since that point I have stayed far away from the hot hitter skill.
    Proud TSB VIP!
    I suppose there are really only two options here.
    You either believe what the Glu dude said a couple weeks ago, that each pitch is its own entity and the skills/rules/whatever are fluid and applied for every pitch, or that every skill is either active or not for the entire at bat.

How about 1st pitch?  I don't believe that it's active for the entire at bat even though it's enabled in the start.

From an engineering perspective, all game types probably follow the same format.  They wouldn't want to develop/test/maintain different engines for WoH, CvC, Season mode...
  • criffycriffy Registered Users, Member 625 Posts
    Ok here goes my theory and why I asked about this in the first place. From what I can tell based on my experience compared with others in my club, skills do in fact turn on/off in WOH. However, I believe the at bat/pitch sequencing is scripted in advance based on attributes once spewed into the RNG machine, so it doesn't matter during an actual round - you're either predetermined to get a winnable round from the outset. Skills matter to factor into that initial sequencing and situation/skills matter - there is some type of monte carlo calculation/ simulator that the devs have built in that goes into the combination of your skills + situation and they give credit for those skills accordingly.

For example, if you start 6 down, blowout skill will be on about 50% (or whatever the actual percentage is) of the at bat and you get credit from the RNG pitch sequencing for half of your skill level. So guys with rhp/bo will work, just not as consistently as a guy who has always on skills, as you'd be getting in my example 75% of the skills credit (100% of rhp and 50% of bo) that factors into pitch sequencing. 

Could also explain lead off not being effective for closing as there are a lot of at bats needed to close 6 runs down (8-10 at bats on average?). You'd only be getting credit for the first of 8-10 at bats needed to win (somewhere in the amount of 8-15% of the skill), heard people complain about Morgan not being able to close constantly. 

That's why I've been seeing people close with Mathews and the shoe dentist who have men on base skills, in which they would get credit for 70-90% of the skill as often there will be men on base. 

This is why I had initially asked about the on fire skill to close with 6 runs down. In theory, you should get decent credit for it when you're 6 runs down. Triggering it to be on would be tougher than it already being on to start an at bat but you would think you get a decent amount of credit as there are a lot of at bats needed to chase 6 runs with no one on base. 

Could be way off on this, but figured I'd let you all in on my theory on skills in WOH
  • Edgar11Edgar11 Registered Users, Member 17 Posts
    Al Kaline and Bill the catcher with on fire skills have been my closers for lefty pitchers since Kaline Came out. Skills at 16/16 they mash. I don’t even get the slightest bit worried about it.
    That's an interesting theory.  I believe it does something similar but a little different.
    I think it takes the base match-up and uses those numbers to come up with its calculations.  So no skills, just the raw baseline like Gold10 with batting 250, power 200...and comes up with a model compared to the pitcher with its arm, control and stuff.
    Then as the at-bat progresses, it takes into account the situation, like 2 outs, 1st pitch, runs, and adds or removes the skill percentages and compares this to the original model or some threshold to determine if you get a good pitch.
    This way each skill can be enabled/disabled and applied to the original model.  This can also be reused for every game type and autoplay.  You start with a base that will basically tell you your raw chances of the at-bat and as the game goes, it changes depending on what you do.

• mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    With all the many issues with this game wouldn’t it be silly to believe skills actually activate/ deactivate like they are supposed to? 🤔
  • RippersRippers Registered Users, Member 332 Posts
    It would be a nice feature if the skills and rating box appeared as it changes. Would end the confusion. 
    The issues with this game are generally quality and game play related.  I think their core engine for calculations and statistics is OK.
  • COWPILEYCOWPILEY Registered Users, Member 825 Posts
    So is Schoendienst a good closer ? 
    COWPILEY said:
    Someone needs to be the Guinea pig and let us know over a large sample size... 😉
  • ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    I've got a Bernie Williams MVP that has the skill. I don't use him to close WOH but to setup he has been lights out for me. I got Bill the catcher, Terry Pendleton, Minnie Minnosa I have no idea who to use to close now as I got Jorge (twice). I've been using Jim Edmonds to close still and he's been really solid for me still. He must have a pretty long shelf life🤷
    Might be willing to entertain it if 6.10 is a lefty. Bench (gold 13/13) seems to behave opposite of expected lately as he starts off against Ford with a nerf bat and gets better as the sequence goes along. You would expect him to start strong with blowout and get worse as the score gets closer.  
    COWPILEY said:
    Might be willing to entertain it if 6.10 is a lefty. Bench (gold 13/13) seems to behave opposite of expected lately as he starts off against Ford with a nerf bat and gets better as the sequence goes along. You would expect him to start strong with blowout and get worse as the score gets closer.  
    This is exactly why I think the pitch sequence is pre determined
    Get tired of spotting these guys one or two outs. 
    retirepujols said:  
    I feel it is the other way around. I've pulled Posada 12 times so far, and I don't think GLU is being generous by giving me a valuable legend so often. I feel like he's the the common pull- because his skills are less than desirable 🤷🏻‍♂️
    I need at least one more good lefty WOH bat so he seems like he would be worth leveling. Thoughts ? Thanks. 
  • FrankTheTank04FrankTheTank04 Registered Users, Member 1,092 Posts
    COWPILEY said:
    If I can get mine to g10 I'll check, but I don't think I'll have him there by Monday.  I think @retirepujols said he liked using him, but I don't remember for sure.
    Just no.  
    I have him at G10 (10/10 skills) but need to bump his skills before I’d try closing with him. 
    My nightmare weekend includes 60+ boxes with nothing of note so common is uncommonly common ATM.
    COWPILEY said:
    retirepujols said:  
    I need at least one more good lefty WOH bat so he seems like he would be worth leveling. Thoughts ? Thanks. 
    I’m with retirepujols on this.....I do t have him but every “top” legend released on VIP rewards weekend has been less than ideal for months now.  Personally unless you’re rolling in lxp or if you want to make a sizable pot moact on points it CvC I’d save the lxp for next week and inevitably better players.  
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    bigvivec said:
    I’m with retirepujols on this.....I do t have him but every “top” legend released on VIP rewards weekend has been less than ideal for months now.  Personally unless you’re rolling in lxp or if you want to make a sizable pot moact on points it CvC I’d save the lxp for next week and inevitably better players.  
    Harrah is a player I'd level if I didn't have Cabrera and other players to level from this weekend. But, maaaan, if Harrah was a lefty?!!! Psshhhhh he'd be the best player in the game right now 👀 that's the kind of dude I'm looking for 😵 not Posada 🤷🏻‍♂️ I AM interested in reading about people's experiences with Posada in WOH, though. 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
    I’ll keep you posted. Hopefully he will help keep the lxp coming in at a minimum. 
  • nwaredstar77nwaredstar77 Registered Users, Member 222 Posts
    Rippers said:
    I've had Kruk at D10 with skills at 20/20 for weeks. My experience with him in WOH tells me it was a very expensive mistake to cap him to beat RH pitchers in WOH. He is very good in all other games though. In the future I won't invest in a WOH  closer who's skills are not active to begin the round and preferably stay on. 
    A little tip a good friend gave me very early on - dont cap your players skills immediately. Each time you beat woh with that player the difficulty increases fir him. Lvl the skills to 5 or 6, beat it 2 or 3 times. Then bump as needed. Continue till hes replaced.