Can you clear HOF?

TheFullMonteTheFullMonte Registered Users, Member 1,589 Posts
Time for an updated poll

Can you clear HOF? 69 votes

I can clear HOF with ease, and a move to G5 pitchers would lilkely not effect me
15%
MattattackDFBBDantemavericksMulderkentotal13BizertoJCAM80MoenPDCcriffyTyroneEastwoodHorse42 11 votes
I can clear HOF, but a move to G5 pitchers would leave me dead in the water
53%
OLDTIMER007BigpredfanProbodybuilderItsouttahere2bryzzo1744ihuffgluLonzoBallinwhammo911louisawesomeaaronchennnavyjack77Biceson44Punkers777blueprintsyellahammersnelagesbuenoBOZZCOsullipa8Shadow451RookieTapper 37 votes
I can not clear HOF now
24%
Amused_79matt_sackettslafrance22003cobraAccelmanbuddydaveCOWPILEYJTPASTORbobremTIGHTBUCHOLZmancov2001GordonBombayBigBibbins333iratepirateMarcuhtoddgurley30Davect 17 votes
I am DrSmartAss
5%
dkarski87bigvivecnwaredstar77drsmartassphd 4 votes
Prev1

Comments

• slafrance2slafrance2 Registered Users, Member 1,370 Posts
    I can not clear HOF now
    I can really only clear if i dump a ton of gold.
  • criffycriffy Registered Users, Member 625 Posts
    I can clear HOF with ease, and a move to G5 pitchers would lilkely not effect me
    i can clear it pretty easily on g3. i had a hard time on monday with the babe taking over at 6.10, but still cycled 10 times. this is before i pulled pee wee on tuesday, capped him and took him to 20/20. i anticipate no problems cycle capping with the 560 bump. if they take it to g5, it'll be harder and cost more gold, but still probably will be able to cycle cap... i cycle capped van slyke that royale weekend 6 weeks or so ago which cost me almost 8 or 9k in gold for the 7 level tower

i took yesterday off from woh and focused on tourneys for points before double gold started and haven't stopped watching vids since.

i am gold, have 3 540 closers (pine tar george, griffey sr and lil pee wee) leveled up to 20/20. i was video boosting with griffey and brett without issue and 80g boosting against babe.

your 540 guys with double always on skills should do the trick if you boost them to 20/20. it's a lot of video grinding for f2p players (i spent on FP this week to take pee wee to 20/20 with the 30% discount... first spending in 5 months), but it's beatable
  • navyjack77navyjack77 Registered Users, Member 1,299 Posts
    In my case, it’s Diamond. I do have to use some Gold to boost my last couple of hitters though. If they move their levels up to 5, I be f’d.
  • TheFullMonteTheFullMonte Registered Users, Member 1,589 Posts
    I’m gold, with the following “closers.”  Even with this, I think I would be totally dead in the water at G5

Ted Williams - 20/18
    George Brett - 20/16
    Pee Wee Reese - 18/18
    Ken Griffey - 16/16
    I think the other component that doesn’t get taken in to account here is that a boost for a player is the same (80G) regardless of level.

With the relative value of gold disparity between the different levels, “cycling” at Platinum or Gold is much more expensive than those playing at Diamond.

Even though I can often clear HOF, it usually necessitates an 80G boost on 6.10 to do so.

Even if you only do 10-15 attempts on a Monday, that gets awful expensive real quick. 
    @TheFullMonte find a club that competes on mondays and you'll recoup the 80g * 10-15x on monday pretty easily

the biggest problem with players at gold is that most players use entirely too much gold chasing players when gold cannot be made up easily with a d6 cycle. how do you get players if you don't chase? they key ALL year was to get a platinum+ solo club for cvc/clash. sandbag your matchups to win by as little as possible for a more favorable matchup next round and so on... far too many people have left free gold / chances at pulling players on the table all year long.

as recently as 2 weeks ago, i had 40-45k gold stocked up and finally chased george brett and pee wee as 540 finishers - some guys you gotta have. i got lucky with griffey 2x in weekend cvc. but i used all my gold up to boost their skills to 20/20 after grinding gold like crazy during 2x weekends.

if you stay disciplined, you use your gold only to cycle cap hof on mondays where you net a ton of lxp - this has averaged about 4k for me per monday this year. usually can fully cap 2 legends with 12-16x cycles on monday
  • drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts
    I am DrSmartAss
    I think the other component that doesn’t get taken in to account here is that a boost for a player is the same (80G) regardless of level.

With the relative value of gold disparity between the different levels, “cycling” at Platinum or Gold is much more expensive than those playing at Diamond.

Even though I can often clear HOF, it usually necessitates an 80G boost on 6.10 to do so.

Even if you only do 10-15 attempts on a Monday, that gets awful expensive real quick. 

I quit using gold a couple weeks ago. I see the EXACT same sequences without it anyway. My closers are on par with yours (a few are the exact same). Last Monday, I cleared HoF more than the week before without spending a brick. Did the same for the Royale BS too, especially considering what GLU did for Royale last weekend and yesterday (wasn't worth spending gold to clear due to the shitty, repeated prizes).

What is also funny, is that when I quit dropping 80G on 6.10 last week, I also only got 1 "9 and out" all day from Ruth, whereas the week prior I got at least 5 "9 and Outs" when I used a stronger player against Gibson. I would get solid RNG each time after the video reboot and win, but you get the point.

It also hit me recently that I'm playing this game on a much bigger device than many here. Most are playing on a phone, while I play on an Ipad. My screen is easily 10X the size most use here, which makes me wonder if you all can tell when you are in an at bat that is a predetermined out or not. It is plain as day to see on an Ipad....

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

I am DrSmartAss

No, just trying to help. No telling how much gold I've wasted this year paying to see the same crap over and over and over. If I can win without using it, you can too.

I also have a team on my Iphone that's still silver. I hardly do anything with it. It is pretty bad ass now so I will try HoF on Monday there if GLU makes the same crappy prize again (1b, LH, Skills After 7/RISP).

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

• toddgurley30toddgurley30 Registered Users, Member 252 Posts
    I can not clear HOF now
    See Drsmartassphd has just been on the pad this whole time.  An I-pad.
  • nwaredstar77nwaredstar77 Registered Users, Member 222 Posts
    I am DrSmartAss
    I'm really disappointed at how few people chose the "I am drsmartassphd"... When I saw that I burst out laughing :) 
  • ShoveItUpYoenis2ShoveItUpYoenis2 Registered Users, Member 952 Posts
    I'm really disappointed at how few people chose the "I am drsmartassphd"... When I saw that I burst out laughing :) 

Identity theft is no laughing matter. 
  • lovingcurveslovingcurves Registered Users, Member 279 Posts
    Can you add « fuhk this game » to poll please ?
  • whammo911whammo911 Registered Users, Member 963 Posts
    Do people want it to go to level 5 pitchers? 
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    edited January 2020
    whammo911 said:
    Do people want it to go to level 5 pitchers? 
    Depends. Do people want better bats?
    I feel like one of the biggest complaints of '19 has been the sluggish pace, but that's a direct result of Glu's reluctance to ramp up the difficulty. They push, 'we' cry, they pull. Rinse and repeat. The end result has been a parade of predictable, cookie-cutter bats/skills that leave very little to the imagination.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • whammo911whammo911 Registered Users, Member 963 Posts
    Well hof was exciting at first but now it’s just monotonous, with poor rewards. 6-7 levels is boring to me and doesn’t add anything to the fun factor of woh. If they do 5 levels with a woh box of atg, legends and living legends and include premium xp  boxes like last year great. Make the last 3-4 guys tough as nails. 
  • BOZZCOBOZZCO Registered Users, Member 102 Posts
    The main reason I loved WOH was for the opportunity to get a new high level player and then cycle cap him, in the process I would stock up on resources. To me personally this has been difficult the last couple months. The main reason being the IMO sliding increase in difficulty. I can always get through the 1st time with ease, then I dump a bunch of LXP to get the player to D1 or what ever and within a couple more rounds Im using  so much gold chasing the cycle that it drives me crazy. I message CS and they tell me that each level will get harder but the difficulty overall stays the same. Last royale I got JOC 7 straight times from boxes so I leveled him to D1... then proceeded to get SCHWARBER 17 times and JOC finished the event at D1. (yes I know these players are behind the curve, but I just enjoy the thrill of box opening hoping to cap somebody on the cheap). I also started my rounds using zero gold !! maybe using a few video boosts here and there. By the completion of the event I was boosting with gold the last 5 guys on level 6 and 2 final guys on level 5. 

I dont have a problem with boosting pitchers to 5 but I will struggle getting through even more it just feels like a cash grab when I finally get my guys to the point of a cycle only to find out GLU moved the bar mid round.  I think I have read on hear that a few of you dont think it increases mid event... hopefully a few do.
  • BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    I needed another option. I can clear HOF right now and a move to level 5 pitchers would affect me, but not dead in the water. Especially with the bump that just happened. ATG pitchers just got a bump in their overalls, and a bump in their level would essentially be a double bump 
  • eman0023eman0023 Registered Users, Member 156 Posts
    I needed another option. I can clear HOF right now and a move to level 5 pitchers would affect me, but not dead in the water. Especially with the bump that just happened. ATG pitchers just got a bump in their overalls, and a bump in their level would essentially be a double bump 
    I think this is what a lot of people don't realize, that ATG pitchers will get a "double bump" with max ratings continuing to rise.  With that sort of bump up, you'd almost have to a 540+ closer/s.  As it's been stated already, if the rewards were worth it, it would be a little bit of a different story. As it stands, HoF prize has almost always been a step or two behind the current standard.
    The real HOF prize is the cycling for LXP. I don't remember the last time a HOF prize that would be a game changer for me. Usually nice little toys to handle rounds 4-7 of level 6
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    criffy said:
    The real HOF prize is the cycling for LXP. I don't remember the last time a HOF prize that would be a game changer for me. Usually nice little toys to handle rounds 4-7 of level 6
    I just looked at my roster to prove you wrong, and the only woh prize I have starting is Jose Cruz at DH 🤔 the only other woh prize I have (at all) is Orlando Cabrera on my subs.. I've always had a heavy woh reward built team, but the rewards have been a little extra "meh" for a while now. 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
    I am DrSmartAss

And now they just pulled a bait and switch on the last decent HoF prize (Campanaris).

Now that I'm gold and can cycle, the fun of it is getting resources.  What they've done since the FANTASTIC blizzard set up is just nuts. They made Royale so difficult that it really isn't worth the effort for the crappy prizes. Then, they repeat the same exact prize again.

Then for HoF, they offer the EXACT SAME prize two weeks in a row: LH 1B w/RISP and After 7 skills.

At this point, there is clearly no direction at all with where this could be going. I thought Blizzard was a big step forward, then they took three steps back, while simultaneously ripping us off (if you leveled Campanaris)

criffy said:
    I just looked at my roster to prove you wrong, and the only woh prize I have starting is Jose Cruz at DH 🤔 the only other woh prize I have (at all) is Orlando Cabrera on my subs.. I've always had a heavy woh reward built team, but the rewards have been a little extra "meh" for a while now. 
    i mean when you have the skills on righties like george foster, tim wallach, countless others that don't move the needle, i'm only cycle capping for points / bonus on Tuesdays (sometimes Wednesdays now) and then throw em away. Buckner and Keith Hernandez would be nicer if they weren't the same exact player at a position that has been superfluous for a while now.
  • MoenPDCMoenPDC Registered Users, Member 615 Posts
    The change to babe made me use a little more gold since my best bat was a d10 510 20/20 gene. So I went and got myself a brand spanking new 20/20 d10 pee wee. With George Brett and Eddie Mathews both at 20/20 should be a cake walk
    eman0023 said:
      As it's been stated already, if the rewards were worth it, it would be a little bit of a different story. As it stands, HoF prize has almost always been a step or two behind the current standard.
    The rewards usually mirror the difficulty. Once upon a time, the HoF reward was the standard. It was at the curve and had ideal skills(Votto, Scioscia, etc.). Unfortunately, only a small number were able to cycle that type of difficulty. In response, we've had a watered down HoF(difficulty/rewards) for quite some time. Some may not recall, but relatively speaking, the blizzard tower we had on Christmas day was significantly easier than the first few weeks of HoF. 
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    I am DrSmartAss
    We need a dam 2nd in HOF. The last one we had was when HOF first started. Anyone remember who it was? lol, I sure do because I never had lxp to start cycle capping when HOF first started out and it haunted me for months because I couldn't land a good 2nd.
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
    dkarski87 said:
    We need a dam 2nd in HOF. The last one we had was when HOF first started. Anyone remember who it was? lol, I sure do because I never had lxp to start cycle capping when HOF first started out and it haunted me for months because I couldn't land a good 2nd.
    i know! i know! steve sax cause i traded him in thinking i was never gonna get lxp to level the dude!
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    dkarski87 said:
    I've been haunted by Scioscia this whole time. That ends today!
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
    DFBB said:
    The rewards usually mirror the difficulty. Once upon a time, the HoF reward was the standard. It was at the curve and had ideal skills(Votto, Scioscia, etc.). Unfortunately, only a small number were able to cycle that type of difficulty. In response, we've had a watered down HoF(difficulty/rewards) for quite some time. Some may not recall, but relatively speaking, the blizzard tower we had on Christmas day was significantly easier than the first few weeks of HoF. 
    not everyone has a top of the curve, switch hitting, double late innings custom legend debbie. it's only easier now because you have the toy that very few of us do.

i don't think the blizzard tower was significantly easier. i went 0/4 or 0/6 (can't remember) with a fully loaded george brett and couldn't get it done
    edited January 2020
    criffy said:
    DFBB said:
    not everyone has a top of the curve, switch hitting, double late innings custom legend debbie. it's only easier now because you have the toy that very few of us do.

i don't think the blizzard tower was significantly easier. i went 0/4 or 0/6 (can't remember) with a fully loaded george brett and couldn't get it done
    Many in diamond were able to do the same....in fact, i know of at least one person in the club who cycled blizz more than me.