Today's boxes... opinions?

ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
I like the Ernie Banks but why ruin him with the blowout skill. The Molitor looks very enticing though. Thoughts... opinions?
Prev1

Comments

• BigburgBigburg Registered Users, Member 150 Posts
    Pics? On delay...
  • TheFullMonteTheFullMonte Registered Users, Member 1,589 Posts
    edited January 2020
    Well, helicopter...
  • Punkers777Punkers777 Registered Users, Member 236 Posts
    560 Molitor has leadoff skill and rhp. Has anyone tested leadoff hitter skill in WOH?
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    best skill in the game... leadoff. (dont do it, blows donkey balls)
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts

If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    Got Joe Morgan with leadoff and works for me.  Have used him as closer.
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
  • blueprintsblueprints Registered Users, Member 96 Posts
    I don’t like any of them... so I guess I’ll be chasing Yogi all weekend...
  • jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    560 Molitor has leadoff skill and rhp. Has anyone tested leadoff hitter skill in WOH?
    It’s always active in WOH no matter what. It’s a great skill if you have 1 guy with it. If you have more than that it stinks because you basically have a single skill player. Banks replaced my LL Lindor who had the same skill so it is great for me. 
    DFBB said:

Meh.  No one beside Yogi, obviously, that I would replace current roster spot with.
  • Horse42Horse42 Registered Users, Member 136 Posts
    It’s always active in WOH no matter what. It’s a great skill if you have 1 guy with it. If you have more than that it stinks because you basically have a single skill player. Banks replaced my LL Lindor who had the same skill so it is great for me. 
    Do you know for sure that the lead off skill is always active in WOH? How would you know for sure?
    Can someone let me know the skills of Living Legend Mike Trout? Also, what are the names, ranks, and skills of the 2 players in Fan Rewards?
    Fan rewards dont come out for 30 more minutes 
  • RippersRippers Registered Users, Member 332 Posts
    Horse42 said:
    Do you know for sure that the lead off skill is always active in WOH? How would you know for sure?
    I have LL Lindor with the lead off skill. I have him in the lead off position in my order. I checked during a bonus game when he wasn't leading off an inning and the skill is always on. In WOH his skill is on to begin a round as long as he is in the lead off position in the batting order. Hope that helps. 
    Horse42 said:
    Leadoff is fantastic for most modes, but will NOT work as implied for WoH. I've already discussed my experience(and observation), but if guys want to find out for themselves, be my guest. 
    I really don’t see the purpose in wasting resources on a lead off skill player. Glu CS told me it’s only active if that person happens to lead off an inning. There’s only a 1/9 chance of that happening in bonus and prime games, and I still don’t see how it could be always active in WOH. If someone has a different experience or opinion of lead off skill, please let me know. 
    Horse42 said:
    I really don’t see the purpose in wasting resources on a lead off skill player. Glu CS told me it’s only active if that person happens to lead off an inning. There’s only a 1/9 chance of that happening in bonus and prime games, and I still don’t see how it could be always active in WOH. If someone has a different experience or opinion of lead off skill, please let me know. 
    As long as you have them slotted in the leadoff position vs right/lefty pitchers, that skill will always be on whenever they come to bat during all other modes. For WoH, it will display on regardless of where you have him in the order or even if you have him in your 'subs.' 
    DFBB said:
    Horse42 said:
    Leadoff is fantastic for most modes, but will NOT work as implied for WoH. I've already discussed my experience(and observation), but if guys want to find out for themselves, be my guest. 
    Do you have a link to said discussion?
  • mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    Had joe Morgan with lead off skill as a closer and worked fine for me 
  • ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    So what I am gathering so far, is that Ernie Banks because of his skill set would be amazing all modes but WoH. I despise the blowout skill but it seems as if the leadoff sucks as well for WoH. Still on the hunt for a replacement SS. One would have thought after spending 20 grand in gold in trying to get Reese's pieces I would have landed him. Not chasing anything this weekend. If went for Yogi I'd probably get Ernie multiple times 😂
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    So what I am gathering so far, is that Ernie Banks because of his skill set would be amazing all modes but WoH. I despise the blowout skill but it seems as if the leadoff sucks as well for WoH. Still on the hunt for a replacement SS. One would have thought after spending 20 grand in gold in trying to get Reese's pieces I would have landed him. Not chasing anything this weekend. If went for Yogi I'd probably get Ernie multiple times 😂
    My experience is peeing into the wind is far more satisfying the.ln chasing a player.
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
    Had joe Morgan with lead off skill as a closer and worked fine for me 
    Define 'fine?' What type of sample size we talking here and success rate? Also, what comparable bats have you used in his place? If you have a 520 Mathews, use him in a spot where you'd use Morgan or vice versa. My money is on Mathews being more efficient and if leadoff worked as it should, that wouldn't be the case.

• drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts
    Based on the uptick to 560, followed by three Legends at that level with really crappy skills, this tells me the game is about to get more difficult (duh), especially for WoH, and few people will have strong enough closers to cycle without spending a ton.

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

@DFBB Well.. idk if can define the success rate you would deem adequate as players don’t stay on my team long at silver. Comparing silver team success rate with a player vs diamond is two different things. Morgan was on my team for probably a month before he fell to sub and was no longer a closer. In that month did I cycle every woh with him? yes. Did it sometimes take more than one or two try’s? Yes. But I always cycled so to o me that’s successful. I have Matthews tho he is no longer on my team sitting ina and have never used him as a closer. 
    @DFBB Well.. idk if can define the success rate you would deem adequate as players don’t stay on my team long at silver. Comparing silver team success rate with a player vs diamond is two different things. Morgan was on my team for probably a month before he fell to sub and was no longer a closer. In that month did I cycle every woh with him? yes. Did it sometimes take more than one or two try’s? Yes. But I always cycled so to o me that’s successful. I have Matthews tho he is no longer on my team sitting ina and have never used him as a closer. 
    I was asking for a comparison within your own team, with the same max players. On your team, you have both Mathews and Morgan. You should have a good idea of who's better between the two. 
  • EProspectPhilsEProspectPhils Registered Users, Member 112 Posts
    Here are my thoughts on leadoff.  It works great in everything but WOH.  In WOH its meh.  I think the reason why is the first batter is Joe Morgan leadoff.  If you don't win with that scenario, then you have Joe Morgan, not leadoff up at the plate for the rest of the order.   I believe through running many rounds of WOH, and always having someone with that skill since it came out, that its a partial skill not an always on skill in WOH.  
  • MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts

If it's Babe again at 6.10 this week, I am going to test 540 PeeWee (double late innings, righty) and 560 Molitor (LHP, Leadoff) and see who is more effective.  I tend to think that @DFBB is correct and that PeeWee will be better because his two skills are always active, but I have historically found that when a bump occurs, the newly bumped players outperform the prior high level guys.  So a new 560, of which there are only 2 + ATGs, should be very effective this week.

Regardless, it is frustrating that the Leadoff skills shows as "on" but then doesn't seem to work properly.  Things really should work as advertised.   

edited January 2020
    @DFBB
     If the two were still active on my team I wouldn’t dare go in 6-10 with Matthews but wouldn’t hesitate to use joe. Never failed to cycle a woh event with joe and  that is success for this silver team. Hope this helps. 👍🏻
  • navyjack77navyjack77 Registered Users, Member 1,299 Posts
    I did get this guy from the FR boxes. Don’t think I’ll level him cause I like Carter better for WOH. I am a believer in the Blowout staying active if it starts the round active. Just my observations.
    I did get this guy from the FR boxes. Don’t think I’ll level him cause I like Carter better for WOH. I am a believer in the Blowout staying active if it starts the round active. Just my observations.
    I hear you and hope you’re right. When I asked Glu CS for clarity, they stated that in WOH, an initially-activated blowout skill turns off once you get within 3 runs. 
    DFBB said:
    As long as you have them slotted in the leadoff position vs right/lefty pitchers, that skill will always be on whenever they come to bat during all other modes. For WoH, it will display on regardless of where you have him in the order or even if you have him in your 'subs.' 
    @DFBB Your response is why I cannot trust Glu CS. They told me that the lead off skill is only active when the batter leads off an inning. They stated that having the batter in the first batting position in a lineup is not relevant because the batter had to lead off an inning to be active. Glu’s response was why I passed on Johnny Damon several weeks ago. It definitely wasn’t the first time they told me incorrect info.