Why do you play this game?

snowy24snowy24 Registered Users, Member 304 Posts
Select one or provide another reason not listed why you play the game. 

Why do you play this game? 51 votes

WOH
25%
bryzzo1744aaronchennPunkers777buddydavebobremsugarshortsmastodonrocksHanysYoderEbiggzdrsmartassphd25JackieRipperstoddgurley30 13 votes
Because I love my clubmates
7%
Bigpredfansnowy24BonebreakerzTyroneEastwood 4 votes
Because of prime games
0%
Because of tournament games
0%
Because of bonus games
0%
Because of slugfest
3%
ShoveItUpYoenis2EProspectPhils 2 votes
Because the concept is great
19%
ToughthundercatsDFBBDantemavericksThunderstormerWaveburnersullipa8YardGoatsBigBibbins3331994EXPOSjerrye23 10 votes
Because I like to tap my phone screen
1%
Bizerto 1 vote
Because I like dominating other people
1%
nwaredstar77 1 vote
Because team building is fun
39%
MattattackProbodybuilderItsouttahere2rmouse511ihuffglumatt_sackettJEDDDOGGYnavyjack77dustyhunksJTPASTORmancov2001Tdub71SandlotGurucb11FrankTheTank04mythicaldragonpueblodevils68criffyMarcuhBigDinger 20 votes
Prev1

Comments

• fahhq2fahhq2 Registered Users, Member 850 Posts
    I didn’t vote cuz an appropriate answer isn’t listed. I don’t know why I continue to play...
  • COWPILEYCOWPILEY Registered Users, Member 825 Posts
     Because it feels good when I stop
  • BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    Every time I have come back it has been for the people
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Despite everything, it's such an amazing game.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    I started because I like baseball, building a team kept me going, the people I have met is why I havent left
  • criffycriffy Registered Users, Member 625 Posts
    it's a mix of it all. got into it initially b/c of slugfest. then woh took my attention. then i found the forums. then i got to know a bunch of great dudes on the forums to compete with
  • drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts
    WOH
    It’s a great game....

Until you realize it’s a money grab

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

• Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    @Mattattack, I am 💯 with you on that.  The best part of the gameplay for me is building the roster, and chasing players I actually like.  

I just wish there was more variety in the ratings, and maybe some quasi-believable ratings.  When you draft an all-or-nothing slugger (like Sano, for example) with hit rating higher than power, it is just ridiculous.  Then you have multiple players released that have nearly identical ratings, over and over.  Just proves lazy programming, or way to many specialty players (probably both).

Honestly, the best part of this game is the forum.
  • ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    I'm with @DFBB on this one. Despite all the crap the concept is great but unfortunately a lot of great concepts fail. The highway to hell is paved and littered with great intentions and concepts.
  • Scioscia_FanScioscia_Fan Registered Users, Member 266 Posts
    I really don't know anymore tbh
  • BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    I really don't know anymore tbh
    id bet a lot of people are this way. Play just because it’s a habit 
    WOH
    I’m so glad this happened for me when it did. Had they not trolled me over and over, I would be addicted too and would gladly keep spending. 

I will also likely be on the forums time to time despite not playing.

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

• ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    I believe a lot people are just dumbfounded by today's Royale, shouldn't be surprised though. Glu why don't you get your head out of your a$$ and see that we keep coming back because for whatever reason we hope it's going to be better. I mean really it's laziness to put up the same Royale as this past weekend but it's on a whole new level of just not caring that you don't make those players as bonus players. What's the point of even having WoH apart of the Royale. Why should I even think that 2020 is going to be any better. What are you Glu going to do to make me spend money because I'll never support business like this monetarily.
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,856 Posts
    I'm not sure why, because the game itself really isnt great to me as it is to others. Its literally just pressing a few autoplay buttons thousands of times. I downloaded 18 right before 19 came out because I missed baseball, then I downloaded 19 because 18 told me to 😂. Building my team and learning the game was fun for a while, figuring out and dominating woh was fun for a while, but those novelties have worn off. I honestly think the reason I've been playing recently is the people and the habit. I also have this idea of playing next year "the right way," which includes keepers that haven't come out yet.. 🙄
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • BigBibbins333BigBibbins333 Registered Users, Member 243 Posts
    The concept is great. The execution of said concept can be piss poor at times.
  • mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    I used to believe it was for woh and clubmates but I now know that’s not true because I’m still playing... I suppose i love building a team I LOVE opening boxes I’m am addicted to that pull.... that 5 seconds of excitement I get when I pull the player I’m after. I enjoy the forum cant have the game without the forum. It’s also a time kill while I’m at work 13 hr days are very long. 
  • SandlotGuruSandlotGuru Registered Users, Member 285 Posts
    I love baseball, statistics, math and have some disposable income, so I think I'm Glu's ideal target market.  At first my obsession with this game was solely focused on team building and seeing my team strength increase.  After I joined the forums and started learning the nuances from you fine gentlemen, my obsession shifted to finding economic inefficiencies in the game and coming up with optimal strategies and resource allocations.  I didn't know my a** from a hole in the ground until about August this year, but I've got a 250K team strength with only about $500 spent, which seems pretty solid relative to some others. Outside of the strategic aspects, the only game mode that is remotely entertaining is WOH.  I hate spending 5-6 hours cycle capping a player every Monday, but I'll admit I get a thrill out of completing that final cycle!  I will likely continue to play next season, but only to see how well I can do using an optimal strategy from day 1 and having the benefit of keepers.  I only plan to buy the occasional fieldpass when necessary to help me level a must have player.  In a nutshell, I think the fact that this game has so many flaws that can be analyzed and exploited, may actually be what keeps me hooked.  
  • FrankTheTank04FrankTheTank04 Registered Users, Member 1,093 Posts
    Initially, for me, it was because of the team building.  That's just something I've always loved.  I play the NHL and Madden games on franchise mode all the time on the ole xbox.  At least with those games I can play on the hardest difficulties and it's a good time. Drafting your own players and not having the same team as everyone else is a plus.  But those are different games and concepts, I get it.  They're so much more fun though, and I find myself playing this game less each day.  I still play all CvC though, because I gotta make sure the guy in my club whines about me winning them all at least once a week(shouldn't have sniped me that one time).  I guess he doesn't know that he can join one of the many other clubs that are out there, or maybe he loves being dominated, I dunno.

Wait, what was the question again?  Oh yeah, why do I play this game?  Because I love @snowy24 !!… which is just a smoke screen for saying I love @retirepujols !!… which is also just a smoke screen for saying I LOVE the concept of roasted turkey pringles, but I never got to try them because someone bought them all up!  I guess what I'm really trying to say is I just really like this community and all the help and comedy that has been provided... and also the balsamic vinegar thread.  I read the forum now more than I play the game.
    Just no.  
    I forgot to mention it, but I Iove figuring things out so I can get and stay ahead of the curve. For me, that's always been the game within the game. There is so much bad info that gets passed around and that inherently creates an edge. I love the community, but I often struggle with how much I want to share or 'correct.' Today, for example,I think I 'solved' the bracket puzzle. I'm actually pretty damn excited about it, but I'm keeping it to myself. I realize my nerdism is now on full display, but yup, these are the things I enjoy.
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    So why did you post that you figured it out, to then only keep it yourself? lmao. Seems kinda pointless to point out that your figured it out. @DFBB
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    To rub our noses in it 😁.  But seriously, I understand wanting to keep a little information to yourself as a bit of a competitive advantage.  
    edited January 2020
    dkarski87 said:
    So why did you post that you figured it out, to then only keep it yourself? lmao. Seems kinda pointless to point out that your figured it out. @DFBB
    I agree. I shouldn't have even said anything. At the time, it felt like a good example.
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    All good @DFBB. Heck with only a few weeks left you should sell the information, $15 gets you Bracket Info. Ill be your first customer, but I want a discount since Im Canadian. $12.56 
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    I play because it’s better than an S&M club
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
    WOH

I wish I could change my answer to "concept is great".

That is what initially got me into the game, honestly. It was when I started asking CS questions about game play that they directed me here.

By the time I got here, I knew my addiction was WoH, because that was the event, IMO, that required actual skill as opposed to pressing "autoplay inning" over and over and over.

When I started to get really good at WoH, but couldn't clear HoF mode, that's when I got obsessed. The help provided here on this board got me to where I am today, but unfortunately GLU has killed that passion.

Now that I understand the highest levels of WoH are not necessarily about skill, but about RNG, I'm done. GLU's constant rigging of the game and trolling anyone under Diamond level recently made it clear what this game is to them. They have destroyed something great for money, period.

When you own the top players the game has to offer, cap them, sink tons of gold/resources into their skills (which apparently there were only 12 levels last year to 20 levels now), then spend 80 more gold to play a game, only to find out you have a 10% chance of "winning" because GLU makes the end of the event harder than anything they offer, that's no fun.

Nothing sucks harder than seeing a fully loaded ATG, with an 80 gold boost in WoH step up to the plate, and watch nine pitches go in another time zone, and the game tells you that you "lost". Then, magically, less than a minute later, I get this "deal" on my screen telling me I can improve my team today for a small fee.

No, assholes, that's as good as my team can get. This is the best of what you have. All you are doing now is proving what your are really all about.

• aaronchennaaronchenn Registered Users, Member 455 Posts
    WOH

When you own the top players the game has to offer, cap them, sink tons of gold/resources into their skills (which apparently there were only 12 levels last year to 20 levels now), then spend 80 more gold to play a game, only to find out you have a 10% chance of "winning" because GLU makes the end of the event harder than anything they offer, that's no fun.

There were 20 last year.
    WOH
    My bad. Point stands

• cooldowncanadacubscooldowncanadacubs Registered Users, Member 643 Posts
    I play because I have large gaps in time at work where I can fly under the radar. I’ve tried multiple app games, and this is the one that stuck. I don’t particularly care about baseball actually. 
  • RippersRippers Registered Users, Member 332 Posts
    WOH
    I'm retired and have a ton of free time. Spent 40 years either playing or managing kids teams from LL to college age. And just love baseball. My son introduced me to the game a little over a year ago. I played at gold level last year and really enjoyed it and was looking forward to 2019. I spent no.money last year and was determined to stay f2p this year. Going to Diamond allowed me to be more competitive without spending money as my 140000+ games played will attest. I did succumb to the allure of Field Pass with Autoplay and 30% player leveling discount. The increased difficulty in WOH has greatly diminished my interest in the game. I may play 2020 but will not go beyond silver or gold and go back to f2p. 
  • BizertoBizerto Registered Users, Member 105 Posts
    Because I like to tap my phone screen
    ^^^ says it all.