Are GLU's Constant Screw Ups Costing You? Short Answer, Yes...Oftentimes TWICE

drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts

Something else for you to chew on as everyone is discussing the future of this game.

I almost pointed this out a couple of days ago, but reading the 2020 expectations thread where others are sharing their CS nightmares on typical GLU ups or bait and switch tactics, I think this type of conversation is appropriate.

Allow me to bring up a very recent example and how a screw up is likely destroying some of the events.  I could list a few others, like the Bowa incident, PeeWee Boxes, Beard Boxes, the Field Pass screw up-refund, YogiGate, etc, but this one sticks out and I think everyone can relate. No, Dr. Ass isn't whining. This is just an observation from someone who has hung around unethical people.

Remember Blizzard on Xmas day? Sure, we all do. I, for one, was thrilled because I felt like GLU took a recommendation to make WoH viable for everyone. Despite it being on a family day, the feedback on the forum for the Blizzard was solid. Everyone enjoyed it, even those that couldn't clear Blizzard.

Well, what happened to that event?  I'll tell you what the frick happened. Another GLU Up.

The prize was a Legend Campanaris that, once again, GLU fricked up. People leveled him up thinking he would stay a switch hitter. Nope, this was a bait and switch by GLU. They were promptly called out by the "right" people, and they actually refunded the LxP to anyone that requested it. Think about that for a second: How many millions of LxP do you think they had to dole out to their customers at all levels?  I'd love to know.

One of my prior jobs was with a company that was greedy as hell, so I know the tactics. Well, when you are a greedy company like GLU, the first thing you do is make the customer feel good about the GLU Up. Hence, the "refund". Then, you put mechanisms in place for you to get all that lost revenue back.  This all has to come off the backs of your customers. This type of revenue hit is bad for investors.

Do you think it is a coincidence that since Blizzard, WoH has been completely bastardized?  That was no accident. GLU knows WoH, especially HoF, is a solid resource avenue for players at all levels, especially the valuable LxP.  So, what do they do?   For two straight weeks, they offered the same HoF Prize (a 530 1B with same skills and a hitting level below guys that are at 510). After that ripoff, they increase the difficulty to insane levels for nearly half the event so the resource gathering is cut way down. The following week, they lower the difficulty, but still not at a level anyone below diamond can cycle cap the player.

Next, take Weekend Royale make it insanely difficutl with crappy rewards, and you repeat it not once, but twice during the weekly Royale, complete with the exact same prizes that still said "weekend box" mind you. LOL.  Yesterday they changed it again, but this time the offering for LxP was well below what they were doing just a few months ago for Royale (Five Levels with a Blue LxP box and another Prime Player Box). Was going through 6 Levels worth 2K LxP? Nope. But that's the part of the plan. See those big, shiny boxes in the store? It is HUGE AMAZING AMOUNTS of LxP for only 2K gold! Go buy them, suckers!! We need our money back for our recent GLU ups.

I've only been playing the game for a few months, but I got to thinking about other incidences like this and what happened next. Pay attention. I could list other examples, but no one wants to read another novel. Every time they screw up, which is often, they get you twice. Something else you need to think about moving forward.

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

Comments

• matt_sackettmatt_sackett Registered Users, Member 1,540 Posts
    too long.
    Nothing in life is as beautiful as the Balsamic thread.

• drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts
    Probably. Either way, you sig line is my favorite one on this forum.

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

• ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    Shut her down!!! Glu needs to stop the insanity!

Nah. They just need to improve their analytics a little and CS.

This game could really be great if they approached it from that standpoint. The money would come.

• retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    Makes sense. I'm curious to see if the floodgates ever truly open. I remember guys that have played previous years said that once the season ended, lxp would be readily available and it will be super easy to level awesome legends and (insert crazy awesome stuff that never happened, like great holiday players). I understand last years game and this years game are two completely different games, but man oh man it sounded like 18 went out with a bang. 19? I'm not sure how many will be around if there's ever some sort of "bang."
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71

The screenshots from the boxes offered at the end of 18, as well as the stories of triple-gold, etc. really got me fired up.

Instead, the holidays brought us a Blizzard tower they won't likely bring back, ever, as well as repeated shitty boxes. Not to mention the Bowa incident was over the holidays too, which no doubt likely ended any chance of something good happening due to having to make up for that GLU up.

• slafrance2slafrance2 Registered Users, Member 1,370 Posts
    Even Black Friday imo was not as good as 18.
  • ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    Makes sense. I'm curious to see if the floodgates ever truly open. I remember guys that have played previous years said that once the season ended, lxp would be readily available and it will be super easy to level awesome legends and (insert crazy awesome stuff that never happened, like great holiday players). I understand last years game and this years game are two completely different games, but man oh man it sounded like 18 went out with a bang. 19? I'm not sure how many will be around if there's ever some sort of "bang."

2018 was amazing the last several months culminating up to quadruple gold for videos in late January into February. I couldn't miss with boxes. It was like a fire sale. WoH was amazing. It was fun not a grind. Made me look forward to 2019. Christmas through New year's double gold and players galore. Then 2019 dropped, the keepers were exciting but extremely expensive but after that imo a tale of two different worlds. I get it, Glu is a business, they are in it to make money but can't they marry those two worlds together for everyone's sake some how? Not going overboard one way or the other. There has to be a happy medium? I know you can't please everyone all the time but on average they can definitely do a better job not ostracizing groups of people by catering to those that are diamond and VIP. People who are gold silver platinum and even bronze also spend lots of money as well. Last time I checked, Glu you didn't reject their money because players were anything less than diamond or VIP. You all still took their money just as well as the diamond and VIP players. So maybe little bit of consideration is in order. Even F2P players like myself that grind out videos, those videos also pay you guys money in ad dollars that helps keep the electricity flowing and payroll being paid out. I think this ostracization could hurt you guys next year. Sure you guys will have your big spenders back and attract new players but the players that buy your weekly specials week in and week out and pump in ad dollars into your coffers that are silver to gold teams may not be here next year and that is your bread and butter. But honestly, it won't matter to you guys at Glu, sadly enough, as long as Wall Street is bullish on your all's stock like they have been in the last several months you all will continue to think why do we need to change?
  • 25Jackie25Jackie Registered Users, Member 245 Posts
    Tsb 18 was great. In tab 19 our favorite games were reduced by  the amount of awards and lower players. The holiday season was disturbing and not very exciting or grateful from Glu.  Hell last year we were given a free legend more than once for mistakes.  Now the common player is not treated well. Glu has forgotten the customer that got them started.  Making games impossible to play is not how the gaming industry normally works. Except gambling .  At any level the best players that are heavily invested show bring better odds and retuns...  That's it.  Good luck all!,,
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    I definitely agree with your points @drsmartassphd. I could list several more examples, but at this point, it's absolutely a broken record.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.

@DFBB - Your sig line cracks me up to no end. You don't know this, but one time you went up against my Silver Team in CvC. Long story short, I was just a box away from a pity timer turnover, and was using CvC to get it. I don't farm for that team at all.

Anyway, I put up like 1M points and felt good because that is usually plenty for that particular bracket.

I log in 20 minutes later to see I'm now down 10M to 1M. Bam! The DFBB assassin. After the match, you left the group since it was the last CvC of the weekend...

• DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts

@DFBB - Your sig line cracks me up to no end. You don't know this, but one time you went up against my Silver Team in CvC. Long story short, I was just a box away from a pity timer turnover, and was using CvC to get it. I don't farm for that team at all.

Anyway, I put up like 1M points and felt good because that is usually plenty for that particular bracket.

I log in 20 minutes later to see I'm now down 10M to 1M. Bam! The DFBB assassin. After the match, you left the group since it was the last CvC of the weekend...

Dang. You should've messaged me ahead of time!
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
    Nah. Take my whipping like a man there. All is fair in CvC. Besides, you are a HUGE help, so no hard feelings at all. I got a good laugh about it. In fact, it was the following week you changed your sig line too from the success/failure to this one. LOL