Diamond Guys: In hindsight, what are your thoughts?

2Next

Comments

• samthemansamtheman Registered Users, Member 686 Posts
    I’m regretting not going Diamond sooner this year. I just didn’t know that they’d eliminated gold in addition to XP for Diamond player leveling this year, a change I hope remains permanent. With the 6 tier WOH that doesn’t provide enough rewards tapping out D6 seems like a better investment of game time.
  • EamusCatuliEamusCatuli Registered Users, Member 66 Posts
    Diamond was great and I'm glad I made the jump.
    I've never been diamond so I didn't vote on the poll. But just wanted to add one consideration in the decision to go diamond or not that I don't think has been mentioned here yet. It's the main reason I wouldn't really consider the move myself.

The importance of free time during event hours on Mondays cannot be overstated IMO when it comes to going diamond or not. If you can't do 8-10 cycles almost every Monday then going Diamond is unlikely to be much fun unless you're willing to drop huge money on the game. You'll never stockpile enough xp to level players without all those cycles. 

I have 2 or 3 hours at most on Monday and average only 2-5 cycles because of it. Diamond just isn't realistic for me unless they change the game drastically for 2020. I'm not going to play next year anyways but for other people it's something to consider.

FWIW the spending/grinding is totally necessary in diamond if you're willing to say goodbye to hof woh.  Aside from slow playing for points occasionally, I haven't bothered with it for months.  It became repetitive and more of an obligation trying to squeeze in as many cycles as possible on Mondays while I was still silver/gold.  And I would really only have time for like 2-3 cycles max anyways so I was still behind the curve.  So I changed my approach from trying to build and maintain a hof-cycle worthy team to just keep moving upwards and it extended the shelf-life of the game.  At diamond, there is always a side-quest (d6 cycling) so there's always something to play for.  It stinks not being able to level so many good pulls, and I have 4 ATGS that will never get touched, but I prefer that over trying to rush through hof cycles 1 day a week and watching videos for gold every other night.  @DFBB points out a lot that there are a lot of different ways to enjoy the game and if you find what works for your time/budget then go for it. 
  • jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    I wish there was an option that I went diamond because the other levels were horribly boring. I tried to stay gold longer than any other season this year but it was horrible. If you like competing in events and pretty much anything beyond WOH staying at a lower level isn’t fun, atleast for me it wasn’t. Streaking was hard, couldn’t win more than 60% of my BG and you could forget tourneys. That’s when I went diamond again. It was hard because if you got all your xp legit you couldn’t really level more than more than a few legends in a month initially then maybe 1-2 a week. The gold you got for cycling often just went To lxp boxes. Coulda been different if I didn’t find WOH to be boring and a chore to play (I can beat it pretty easy). 
  • TyroneEastwoodTyroneEastwood Registered Users, Member 424 Posts
    My only regret is that I stayed gold for way too long
  • whynotwhynot Registered Users, Member 1,749 Posts
    Hope you guys don’t mind a lowly gold guy putting his 2 cents in.  Seems to me that glu has worked harder this year than ever to make the f2p guy reach into his wallet, it also seems that a lot of the post in this thread are from f2p guys or close to that.

I would just like to caution you not to be in too big of a hurry to go diamond in 2020.  I suspect it will be appealing during early weeks, especially beta time, but I suspect glu will continue their trend and be making diamond nearly impossible without spending.  They have already taken evo hunting away, look for cycle capping to be a thing of the past as well (I hope I’m wrong btw).
    I'm confused by what you mean by 5.7 and 5.8.  You mean the round and level? 
    - Blueleopard
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    I disagree. For 90% of the season WOH was a cake walk. For the first 6 or 7 months WOH was relatively unchanged, same pitchers over and over again aside from a few changes on the last 2 or 3.  The game is suppose to get harder IMO, I think they just failed to find the right balance. The Blizzard test they did was great IMO that many people really liked. It was a great mix of difficulty and rewards and also offered different options for those who didn't want to attempt it. WOH for the most part has been easy for most, but I think the people behind the decisions have really killed the game for the worst.

@Bigpredfan i am probably the worst speller in this world). But its the endless amount mistakes and lack of accountability that killed this game. They very rarely own their mistakes, and this become a norm throughout the entire season.
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    rmouse511 said:
    We have no idea how the game will change at the Diamond level for the 2020 version of the game. The biggest change this year was removing the cost of gold to take a player up from D1-D10. Even with the reduction of the availability of lxp and pxp, I still think it was easier to level a player in diamond this year as opposed to last year. 

To me, deciding what level to take your team, depends on three factors.
    1. How much money you are able or willing to spend
    If you don't want to spend any money on the game, or as little as possible, then diamond probably isn't the right level for you. I haven't spent money on gold purchases this year, but I have for Field Pass. I would rather spend my money on FP to help level up players I already have, as a opposed to spending it on gold/boxes chasing players that I might not get.

2. Amount of time playing the game
    Grinding videos or bonus games/tournaments are both a huge investment of time. I have done both and don't feel that there is much of a difference. If you are on the app a lot to get free gold, the d6 cycle earns gold at a faster rate than videos (even at 8 per video). If you get gold by spending money, then it makes sense to have a silver/gold team. 

3 Why you play the game- this is the most important to me
    I like to play the game most days and contribute to my club and improve my team. When I was a silver/gold team, I felt like I was only focused on Mondays. I couldn't help my club much outside of WOH days, so I was really only playing once a week. 
    As a diamond team, I am able to improve my team every day, while also helping my club. Since I plan on playing the entire year, I view the challenge to build my diamond team as a marathon and not a sprint. I enjoy the process and strategy of building a team. It is cool to have a player reach their full rating at diamond. I know I won't be able to level up every player I get, and that I have to be selective with my resources. 

After saying all of this, who knows what the 2020 version will look like. Cooldown, diamond leveling costs, rewards for cycling d6, game events, and new features will all impact my strategy for next year. I can't really say how I will play next year, but I will probably end up as a diamond team again next year. If you have never gone all the way to diamond, might as well give it a shot during the last month of this version. You could use all the gold you gain to buy boxes to chase players to use as keepers next year. 
    This was flagged for spam, but it's a great summary. Ty!

fyi: I'm not sure why some comments get flagged for spam, but if they do, contact me and I can fix it.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Horse42Horse42 Registered Users, Member 136 Posts
    To me, the best thing about Diamond is cycling D6 for 650 Evo, 7,500 gold, and 250k blue cash. Also, having the Diamond 2x points bonus is nice. But Diamond was a real grind to achieve and maintain a winning, dominant team. Diamond was an incredible time suck and time waster that got me away from being personally productive, and has led to my decision to play only casually, if at all, once TSB20 comes out. 
    edited January 2020
    I wish there was an option that I went diamond because the other levels were horribly boring. I tried to stay gold longer than any other season this year but it was horrible. If you like competing in events and pretty much anything beyond WOH staying at a lower level isn’t fun, atleast for me it wasn’t. Streaking was hard, couldn’t win more than 60% of my BG and you could forget tourneys. That’s when I went diamond again. It was hard because if you got all your xp legit you couldn’t really level more than more than a few legends in a month initially then maybe 1-2 a week. The gold you got for cycling often just went To lxp boxes. Coulda been different if I didn’t find WOH to be boring and a chore to play (I can beat it pretty easy). 
    I now understand why @Bigpredfan and others felt similarly. Option #1 gives it a ringing endorsement when in reality, it was a decision that you backed into rather than jumped towards. My thinking at the time was that it was 'great' compared to the other options.
    DFBB said:
    I now understand why @Bigpredfan and others felt similarly. Option #1 gives it a ringing endorsement when in reality, it was a decision that you backed into rather than jumped towards. My thinking at the time was that it was 'great' compared to the other options.
    Diamond is great compared to other levels. But if the option to stay gold and still be competitive was there I would do it. That isn’t to say you can’t build a really really great gold team, but you generally won’t score what a diamond team can, without spending ungodly amounts of money. I generally don’t care about team strength and if I’m playing I want to win. Diamond is the best place for that. But, I think there is a massive misconception that just because you cycle for gold means their is a distinct advantage. It certainly helps, but as previously stated if you are cycling for gold and getting resources legitimately, it is a massive time commitment and that “free” gold doesn’t last very long when you need 470k lxp to cap 1 weekend legend, and that’s with field pass and 30% discount. 
    DFBB said:
    Diamond is great compared to other levels. But if the option to stay gold and still be competitive was there I would do it. That isn’t to say you can’t build a really really great gold team, but you generally won’t score what a diamond team can, without spending ungodly amounts of money. I generally don’t care about team strength and if I’m playing I want to win. Diamond is the best place for that. But, I think there is a massive misconception that just because you cycle for gold means their is a distinct advantage. It certainly helps, but as previously stated if you are cycling for gold and getting resources legitimately, it is a massive time commitment and that “free” gold doesn’t last very long when you need 470k lxp to cap 1 weekend legend, and that’s with field pass and 30% discount. 
    You've mentioned 'legit' resources twice now. Trust me, I'm beyond bitter with such things. It's why I decided to run solo for the rest of '19 and gave up on being 'competitive.' 
    As far as the time commitment, I agree that there's no going around it. However, I don't think everyone strives to be ahead of the curve. For those in that camp, 2-4 cycles a week should still be a fun experience. 
    DFBB said:
    DFBB said:
    You've mentioned 'legit' resources twice now. Trust me, I'm beyond bitter with such things. It's why I decided to run solo for the rest of '19 and gave up on being 'competitive.' 
    As far as the time commitment, I agree that there's no going around it. However, I don't think everyone strives to be ahead of the curve. For those in that camp, 2-4 cycles a week should still be a fun experience. 
    That’s about where I am. 4. Sometimes I get a 5th in. Generally speaking I don’t play at all on Monday and Tuesday, just a mental health day. I say the legit way because I think people see certain players and think it’s all cupcakes and rainbows at diamond when it really isn’t at all.
  • benny100benny100 Registered Users, Member 757 Posts
    I have only been diamond a total of 7 days, so my perspective is the new guy that is excited about everything right now. I do however have a fresh comparison to gold life as I was gold since early June.

From my viewpoint of the fresh diamond guy, the one thing and maybe only thing, that would hold me back from moving to diamond much earlier next year is Monday. If you cannot dedicate 5+ hours - often much more, to cycle capping HOF on a Monday then diamond is going to be tough to build a team that keeps you excited. To breakeven on lxp investment with field pass it’s 10+ cycles. The same for a gold player is only 4. Therefore as a gold player I was able to build a nice stash of lxp - to do this in diamond is going to take many more cycles and time, on a day of the week that is tough to dedicate that much time if you have a job!

Building gold without paying for it in gold tier or below is not easy and mind numbing boring - I’ll take cycling d6 any day over watching videos.
  • BigpredfanBigpredfan Registered Users 3,306 Posts
    Diamond is fun, but it's not worth the time/money.
    dkarski87 said:
    I disagree. For 90% of the season WOH was a cake walk. For the first 6 or 7 months WOH was relatively unchanged, same pitchers over and over again aside from a few changes on the last 2 or 3.  The game is suppose to get harder IMO, I think they just failed to find the right balance. The Blizzard test they did was great IMO that many people really liked. It was a great mix of difficulty and rewards and also offered different options for those who didn't want to attempt it. WOH for the most part has been easy for most, but I think the people behind the decisions have really killed the game for the worst.

@Bigpredfan i am probably the worst speller in this world). But its the endless amount mistakes and lack of accountability that killed this game. They very rarely own their mistakes, and this become a norm throughout the entire season.
    Ain’t a person here who is perfect. To err is human. But it’s about owning the mistakes and making them right. 

You accidentally release a switch hitting SS instead of a RHB?  Own the mistake and don’t make it worse. 
  • nwaredstar77nwaredstar77 Registered Users, Member 222 Posts
    dkarski87 said:

Ain’t a person here who is perfect. To err is human. But it’s about owning the mistakes and making them right. 

You accidentally release a switch hitting SS instead of a RHB?  Own the mistake and don’t make it worse. 
    Let's not just be hateful, as the saying goes - to err is human. to forgive, is divine