Maybe the Sky isn't falling after all...

DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
At least, not for TSB. The article is from last month and I found this to be interesting:

the net bookings for the Tap Sports Baseball franchise rose to a record high in the six years since the game was launched. Tap Sports Baseball experienced a 22% growth in bookings of $30.1 million, taking its lifetime bookings value to $250 million.

My wife actually has Design Home on her phone and loves it. I never knew it was such a powerhouse for Glu. Here's a link if anyone is interested in the article:

https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/12/14/is-glu-mobile-the-gaming-stock-to-bet-on-for-2020.aspx
If you're not having fun, you're losing.

Comments

• JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    The analysts seem to really love Glu. They dropped roughly 25% in 2019, but many of the well known trading services show Glu in the top 5 percentile of analyst ratings.

Even in year 6 it still seems they are feeling out their customer base. While I'm certain user retention is a large goal for them, it is something they haven't seemed to quite have figured out at this point.
  • snowy24snowy24 Registered Users, Member 304 Posts
    “EA sports—it’s in the game.” Thats what my mind said when I read electronic arts in the article. Lol
  • MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts

Look, the game has successfully squeezed more money out of me in each successive year I have played.  I was absolutely F2P at the beginning, and now spend a fair amount of money on the game--peanuts compared to most of you, but a long way from F2P.  Now, that could be because of my level of addiction, but I think it's also to do with the fact that they've gotten better at monetizing the game. 

There's always a balance between squeezing your customers to make more and losing your customers because they've been squeezed too hard.  We've seen Glu pushing the borders consistently for a few years now.  Everything is about testing our limits.  For example, all players starting at Bronze 1 when drafted -- that was introduced a few years ago and it was a total gamechanger, but everyone I know played despite the change.  Or the Blizzard Tower, or Glu fiddling with WOH difficulty while offering us worse and worse reward players.  There was a time you could build your team exclusively through WOH--each week was a different position and a top player at his position.  Now it's mostly redundant players with non-ideal skills, ranked slightly below the best players out there.  You can't build exclusively through WOH anymore. 

Glu will continue to be successful until they push us too far.  And then they'll either make changes or scrap the game in favor of a new offering, like they did with their NFL game.  The only power we have is to quit and let it be someone else's problem. 

• retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    The company has a much better idea than any of us on how sustainable their tactics are. I can't imagine these record numbers being sustainable, but I also have absolutely no idea and I'm basically talking out of the side of my.. butt. 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • babyjbootsbabyjboots Registered Users, Member 465 Posts
    The number of people commenting on this board represents such a small portion of their base that they don't care what everyone whines about here.  If I were them, I wouldn't either.
    Don't believe that anything said on here is taken into consideration when they make things like WOH easier.  If you look at what apps are running on your phone, they're tracking all your sh*t.  They know what percentages are winning/losing and adjusting based on that not on some forum.
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    The number of people commenting on this board represents such a small portion of their base that they don't care what everyone whines about here.  If I were them, I wouldn't either.
    Don't believe that anything said on here is taken into consideration when they make things like WOH easier.  If you look at what apps are running on your phone, they're tracking all your sh*t.  They know what percentages are winning/losing and adjusting based on that not on some forum.
    The loud minority is certainly personified in these very forums but based on my personal experience, they do care about feedback. 
    The company has a much better idea than any of us on how sustainable their tactics are. I can't imagine these record numbers being sustainable, but I also have absolutely no idea and I'm basically talking out of the side of my.. butt. 
    Every user has an expected shelf life. Nobody plays forever. Retention is important, but customer acquisition is probably more of a priority. That said, like most, I'm also playing the guessing game. 
  • criffycriffy Registered Users, Member 625 Posts
    DFBB said:
    Every user has an expected shelf life. Nobody plays forever. Retention is important, but customer acquisition is probably more of a priority. That said, like most, I'm also playing the guessing game. 
    to your point debs, almost every game also has a shelf life. customer acquisition is way more expensive than retention - so if they want to continue churning this game out long-term, they need to take a good look at themselves in the mirror and figure out whether they are better off serving short-term interests / profitability by turning off actual long-term customers
    Metsicans said:

Look, the game has successfully squeezed more money out of me in each successive year I have played.  I was absolutely F2P at the beginning, and now spend a fair amount of money on the game--peanuts compared to most of you, but a long way from F2P.  Now, that could be because of my level of addiction, but I think it's also to do with the fact that they've gotten better at monetizing the game. 

This basically describes me too.

'17=f2p
    '18=stadium and BF bryce
    '19=level 7 AS
    '20=??? :(
    Call of Duty had me addicted for years, even though I complained that each game was the same as the last 😂 they've done just fine without me since I kicked that bug (although cod mobile looks very appealing 😭). TSB will be just fine without me, and any other shark/whale/fish that quits. At least for a few more years, they'll be able to find new players to replace the quitters and have enough returning players to keep chugging along. If The Show goes mobile, though, watch out 😃
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts
    Call of Duty had me addicted for years, even though I complained that each game was the same as the last 😂 they've done just fine without me since I kicked that bug (although cod mobile looks very appealing 😭). TSB will be just fine without me, and any other shark/whale/fish that quits. At least for a few more years, they'll be able to find new players to replace the quitters and have enough returning players to keep chugging along. If The Show goes mobile, though, watch out 😃

You nailed it, Pujols. I know my few hundred bucks won't be missed by them, for sure.

It was a great game for a solid six months for me.

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

Also, based on the way they have been screwing with TSB the past few weeks, I had no doubt they were still earning well. IMO, they showed their hand big time with their recent moves. Those moves scream "our big spenders are carrying us, and that is who we are looking after".

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

• TheLegend17TheLegend17 Registered Users, Member 373 Posts
    They don't report 4th quarter earnings until Feb 4th. This earnings call will cover the last few months of 2019, when most of the "I'm done" comments started surfacing. 
    They don't report 4th quarter earnings until Feb 4th. This earnings call will cover the last few months of 2019, when most of the "I'm done" comments started surfacing. 
    The 'boycotts' and 'done spending' rants have been quite loud since at least '18.
  • mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    Well this is great... expect 0 changes for 20

I can promise you they aren't losing. Their recent actions make that loud and clear. I've worked for companies like this before. The only losers from this point until 2020 comes out will be those that didn't make the leap to diamond.

The only losers from this point until 2020 comes out will be those that didn't make the leap to diamond.
    We're all losers man! Some of us just have fun in the process. lol
  • jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    They truly don’t miss anyone as their hope is to find new whales to replace any they lose. I’ve been playing since 17, others longer than me. I’ve personally seen guys who spent tens of thousands of dollars on the game quit after 17, to find new people who have spent tens of thousands of dollars. This continued from 18 to 19 and will continue from 19 to 20. They hope to bring in enough new players to offset the ones they lose and maintain enough of the old players to keep growing. Lots of people threaten to quit but not sure how many will. That’s why I still say my plan is to quit but who knows. Anyone who thinks they are losing money is crazy lol. 
  • JEDDDOGGYJEDDDOGGY Registered Users, Member 2,460 Posts
    I mean, Glu is a publicly traded company so their sole focus is generating as much profit as possible to maximize shareholder value. The answer is that user acquisition and user retention are both important.

• bobdylan_fanbobdylan_fan Registered Users, Member 303 Posts
    I have a whole new perspective on the game.
    I bought 50 shares of GLUU today in my TD America account.
    So - now that I'm part owner - I'm gonna start flexing my muscles and make some changes.
    I've already righted the first wrong - and pulled Yogi on my first Clash box of the morning.
    Man its good to be the King!

And as for the rest of you so-called customers - especially you free to play guys - start spending more! No more free stuff. I've got a business to run!

• slafrance2slafrance2 Registered Users, Member 1,370 Posts
    I’m about to talk to my financial advisor and switch some stocks around from Amazon to Glu 🤣😂
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    DFBB said:
    Fair point.   
  • cooldowncanadacubscooldowncanadacubs Registered Users, Member 643 Posts
    DFBB said:
    Funny Story- Until 2018, I owned and religiously purchased every EASports NHL game dating back to 1994.  I swore that after 2013 was released, I’d quit buying the game. I didn’t. Why? Because I continuously thought the next version would be better. It never did. 
    One night at my cottage, I had my PS4 hooked up to watch Netflix, a massive lightning storm rolled through, a strike of lightning touched down somewhere nearby. It fried my PS4.  In a search on my phone, I came across TSB. I’ve played since. But I’m left with that same feeling of hopelessness in a game that could be way better...same feeling I had with the NHL series. There is a shelf life for players. But it shouldn’t be that way 
  • Horse42Horse42 Registered Users, Member 136 Posts
    Funny Story- Until 2018, I owned and religiously purchased every EASports NHL game dating back to 1994.  I swore that after 2013 was released, I’d quit buying the game. I didn’t. Why? Because I continuously thought the next version would be better. It never did. 
    @cooldowncanadacubs You’re right. That EAS NHL ‘94 is legendary. It’s one of the greatest video games of all time. It’s featured in a lot of 90’s movies. 
    Horse42 said:
    @cooldowncanadacubs You’re right. That EAS NHL ‘94 is legendary. It’s one of the greatest video games of all time. It’s featured in a lot of 90’s movies. 
    NHL 1994 is in my opinion, the best sports
    game ever created. Next would be Madden 15. 
    This is hilarious:

One of the things I’m going back to after TSB19 is over is my old Nintendo(s). Rotate this out every few years. My brother and I share hundreds of games.

Today I busted out the SNES and this is what I played first 

One night at my cottage, I had my PS4 hooked up to watch Netflix, a massive lightning storm rolled through, a strike of lightning touched down somewhere nearby. It fried my PS4.  In a search on my phone, I came across TSB. I’ve played since. But I’m left with that same feeling of hopelessness in a game that could be way better...same feeling I had with the NHL series. There is a shelf life for players. But it shouldn’t be that way 
    I'm guessing you didn't buy a new PS4? I also don't have access to any gaming console which led to my search for mobile games. That added to an absence of baseball led to TSB 🤷🏻‍♂️ but soon I'll be in a position to have some time to sit around and play some PS4, I'll totally snag nhl20 if you'd be around to play 👀
    I'm guessing you didn't buy a new PS4? I also don't have access to any gaming console which led to my search for mobile games. That added to an absence of baseball led to TSB 🤷🏻‍♂️ but soon I'll be in a position to have some time to sit around and play some PS4, I'll totally snag nhl20 if you'd be around to play 👀
    I never replaced it. In hindsight, it would’ve been cheaper to buy a new one and carry on. Something I’m contemplating now.