HoF for MLK: 550 and 540!

Comments

• drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts

@DFBB: moving Lou to 6.8 and Yogi to 6.9 was just awesome. Neither lost and neither needed a gold boost. Several times I got through Gibby despite two curve outs during the round, but that only happened once or twice.

I can sim/play Level 6.1 to 6.10 now in about five minutes, give or take. It is 6.10 once again that's beyond nuts.

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

• TheFullMonteTheFullMonte Registered Users, Member 1,589 Posts
    Metsicans said:

All you guys talking about having capped skills for players have to realize that you're making either a monetary or time commitment that the average player can't make.  As an example, I have 540 Pee Wee with double LI skills.  He's my best righty bat (taking into account skills, as most of my 560s have blowout skill).  But by next month he'll be two levels below the highest rated guys in the game.  And to cap his skills would could cost me what, about 10K gold?  It's just not feasible for me to spend $100 worth of gold on a guy who will be relevant for 4-6 weeks. 

I didn't even try to cycle yesterday, taking a blessed day off, so this isn't a sour grapes post.  I'm just pointing out that if capping skills is necessary to cycle regularly, then Glu is pricing most gamers out of playing.  Between the cost and the crappy rewards (i.e., another righty catcher with the same skills as Carter and Bench, two of the  main box reward guys this month), there is less and less reason to play WOH.  One would think Glu would be trying to get us to play more, not less. 

So, you’re partially right that it IS becoming more expensive to compete at a high level in the game.  But that’s also simply a part of the season coming to a close.

that said, there are still several big mistakes people are making; much of which is simply not evolving their paradigm of what it takes to be competitive as mentioned above, and adjusting their gameplay accordingly.  In August and September....players with 12/12 skills might have been sufficient.  But we’ve moved well past that to the point where 16/16 is probably insufficient.  I for example, simply consider the resources needed for leveling to 16/16 part of the “cost to level” a player.  If I can level a guy to G10, but can’t take him to 16/16....I’m not actually leveling him.

the same is also now true with gold needed to go above 16/16.  So the folly here is that players will spend gold buying boxes, and leveling mid-level players...rather than hoard that gold so that they CAN take a guy to 18/18, 20/20, etc.  getting guys to G10 and 12/12 is probably pretty useless.  Which is why many people here spent as much time as possible the last three days grinding gold videos like a madman.

the paradigm needs to evolve with the game.
  • MetsicansMetsicans Registered Users, Member 1,046 Posts
    Metsicans said:

All you guys talking about having capped skills for players have to realize that you're making either a monetary or time commitment that the average player can't make.  As an example, I have 540 Pee Wee with double LI skills.  He's my best righty bat (taking into account skills, as most of my 560s have blowout skill).  But by next month he'll be two levels below the highest rated guys in the game.  And to cap his skills would could cost me what, about 10K gold?  It's just not feasible for me to spend $100 worth of gold on a guy who will be relevant for 4-6 weeks. 

I didn't even try to cycle yesterday, taking a blessed day off, so this isn't a sour grapes post.  I'm just pointing out that if capping skills is necessary to cycle regularly, then Glu is pricing most gamers out of playing.  Between the cost and the crappy rewards (i.e., another righty catcher with the same skills as Carter and Bench, two of the  main box reward guys this month), there is less and less reason to play WOH.  One would think Glu would be trying to get us to play more, not less. 

So, you’re partially right that it IS becoming more expensive to compete at a high level in the game.  But that’s also simply a part of the season coming to a close.

that said, there are still several big mistakes people are making; much of which is simply not evolving their paradigm of what it takes to be competitive as mentioned above, and adjusting their gameplay accordingly.  In August and September....players with 12/12 skills might have been sufficient.  But we’ve moved well past that to the point where 16/16 is probably insufficient.  I for example, simply consider the resources needed for leveling to 16/16 part of the “cost to level” a player.  If I can level a guy to G10, but can’t take him to 16/16....I’m not actually leveling him.

the same is also now true with gold needed to go above 16/16.  So the folly here is that players will spend gold buying boxes, and leveling mid-level players...rather than hoard that gold so that they CAN take a guy to 18/18, 20/20, etc.  getting guys to G10 and 12/12 is probably pretty useless.  Which is why many people here spent as much time as possible the last three days grinding gold videos like a madman.

I actually agree with you.  But my point is that having to spend 10K gold, 80K pxp, and 80k lxp to get a guy to the point that he's a reliable WOH closer is just too prohibitively expensive to be done every month or so.  Maybe it's manageable with ATGs, but none of the ATGs released so far have skills that make them ideal closers.  Which is obviously intentional. 

If i spend 10K on skills, that's two to four weeks' worth of gold for me.  Meaning that i have to spend money to replenish that gold and actually play the game.  I am not willing to make that investment.  Instead I'm scrapping WOH, which was my favorite event.  I suspect this is the final step before I just quit. 

• DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Metsicans said:

A big part of it is expectations. Once upon a time, 50% was considered solid. Now, if you're below 75%(at diamond), you're probably throwing a fit and scrambling to find a new bat. 
    I was asked if it was necessary for me to spend gold to cycle cap HoF. I said no, but I do it anyways because Mondays are so important that number of cycles far outweigh any gold that I may or may not need to spend. To get back to my initial point, once upon a time, I was thrilled with just being able to cycle cap. The bar continues to get raised and really, that's not such a bad thing. 
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • JCAM80JCAM80 Registered Users, Member 606 Posts
    From what I recall. Never got him on my roster... but didn't AVS have stackable always-on skills in his 1/2 earlier releases.... here's hoping....
  • Itsouttahere2Itsouttahere2 Registered Users, Member 697 Posts
    For the love of God people! Please stop posting that woh is easy. 
    They'll never stop.  Also they bumped the stuff rating on Babe up to 387 in gold, and I got the noodle bat four times now with Pee Wee double 20.  I'll give it a go again later.

Oh, never mind then. Won't even waste my time with him. Appreciate the heads up on his stuff rating at 387. Combine that with a cheat rating at 60, then once again GLU has prevented gold players from cycle capping again.

I have never seen a company do everything it can to keep players from playing and enjoying a game like GLU does. Can't give an inch. LOL

I can honestly say that since the first 3-4 weeks of playing WOH back in April/May, I have never looked at any messages that flash on the screen. As far as I can tell all that stuff that flashes on the screen in between pitches is just background noise. Seems pointless to pay attention to it unless you're desperate for something to whine about.
    Glu has in no way prevented Gold players from cycle capping. The *only* thing preventing me from cycle capping as a gold player is time, as I only ever have 2-3 hours to play on Monday. I just did a quick cycle on my lunch break. You need to stop saying that it's impossible at Gold. Build a better team, I somehow doubt that criffy and myself are the only Gold players cycling with minimal losses on 6.9/6.10. 

I am genuinely curious about something you keep repeating. You keep saying that you get 9 straight unhittable pitches even with Brett 20/20 skills. I don't think you are being deceitful, but it is so far outside of my own experience that I have trouble taking it at face value. Since acquiring Brett & Pee Wee at 20/20 skills, while I have certainly had losses on the last rounds, I can say with certainty that I have never experienced 9 straight unhittable pitches in a row. It just seems so incredibly unlikely that your experience would be light years different than my own. Since acquiring these 2 I have only experienced 3 straight outs once, against Babe with Pee Wee, and that involved 2 noodle bat outs and only 1 unhittable pitch scripted out.

As others have said, it would be really interesting to see a video of what you are experiencing. If you are using the players you say you are with skills capped, your experience is completely out of line with my own. 
    @Waveburner, I too have experienced the 9 straight curve outs from Gibson as @drsmartassphd mentioned, quite a few times as a matter of fact, I’m sure others have as well, the fact that you haven’t is as much of a mystery to me as the fact that we have is a mystery to you. It is a Glu thing imo. 

It is all RNG. Some days are better than others. I'm just to a point where I'm impatient and won't play if I know GLU has tinkered with the settings. It doesn't take much for me to get annoyed and quit at this point.

Like I said, my team, while solid, can blow throw 1.1-6.9 in about 20-25 minutes. The past three weeks, it has taken hours and tons of gold to get the RNG needed to get past 6.10 just a few times a day. While I understand the game should get harder, what GLU does is completely uncalled for. Spending a good chunk of change and going gold was great for a few weeks, then the frickery started.

It also doesn't amuse me when I drop 80 gold to play a game I'm already paying a lot to play, only to find out my RNG draw dictates I lose that particular round. I was ok with that when I was winning at about a 50% clip. Now, with it being 10-20%, while being unable to cycle cap, it isn't worth it.

Then, of course, there is the idiocy of yesterday, where I was 0-4 against Ruth (lost 320 gold), but when I had my unexpected play time last night, I went 2-4 at one point without spending one brick.  Again, RNG and not skill. That price to pay for RNG is just not worth it to me, and I already know I will never have the time/money/desire to play consistently at diamond.  That is where GLU wants you to be.

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

edited January 2020
    I’m going to attempt to word that differently for you @drsmartassphd

my frustration is often times from the non-random nature of the difficulty.  Simply leveling skills, and knowing the stuff ratings of pitchers sometimes just doesn’t matter.

yesterday I was very successful in clearing until early evening, and suddenly hit a 2-3 hour window where I experienced massive amounts of auto-play fails below 6.5....and couldn’t even touch 6.9 and 6.10.  Despite successfully clearing 6 times prior to that....the lights just went out.  Numerous people in Line chats I have commented on the same thing.

however, after a few hours...things returned to normal and I cleared twice more after that.

So I will articulate it like this:  I understand RNG is part of the game; however, it is supposed to be just that:  random.  

It’s sort shitty that players that have committed the time and resources necessary to beat these events, can just simply be shut off on a whim by GLU.

now, all that said, I have long believed that the RNG is in no way truly random.  It ebbs and flows with the flow of resources in to the game/hands of players.  The last couple weeks I’ve noticed it tends to throttle right around 1-2PM CST....and around 5-6 PM CST.  There’s something to that.  But it’s not truly “random.”

now, all that said, I have long believed that the RNG is in no way truly random.  It ebbs and flows with the flow of resources in to the game/hands of players.  The last couple weeks I’ve noticed it tends to throttle right around 1-2PM CST....and around 5-6 PM CST.  There’s something to that.  But it’s not truly “random.”
    I know this is beating a dead horse, but if you have 20/20 bats in diamond, this isn't an issue at all. Fwiw, I used to experience the random 'windows of death' last season when I was silver/gold. 
    DFBB said:

I know this is beating a dead horse, but if you have 20/20 bats in diamond, this isn't an issue at all. Fwiw, I used to experience the random 'windows of death' last season when I was silver/gold. 
    No offense @DFBB but sometimes I just want to wrestle you shirtless in a gravel parking lot and choke you out.*

*i said “no offense,” so you can’t ban me.

@TheFullMonte: I am with you on the ebb and flows there too.  That happened to me a lot in Silver, as well as the same patterns to the pitches/curve outs etc, during game play, especially when I hit level 6. Going gold cured that.....until three weeks ago.

I too had some moments last night at around 8 CST - 9 CST where I couldn't even sim past 6.3 any longer. I just put the game down and came back. What I do is take one of my closers and put him down there as a test. If he loses more than once, put the game down. If a closer can't sim 6.1 - 6.5, something is up.

Like DFBB said, you gotta be diamond. If you don't want to be screwed by GLU, that's what it takes. I had a great plan to go diamond early in 2020, but after these past few weeks, GLU has completely taken that motivation from me. Between that and the constant trolling I got from CS when they asked me for help, I have no desire to reward them with the time, money, and effort it would take to stay at diamond next year. I have a LOT of time I can put into this game, but not the time I see from the Diamond thread on this board.

And now there's a steep price to play all the games in the app too? Where does the squeezing stop? I get there are people who will pay and pay, but I am not one of them. I feel if I have spent time, money, and resources building a solid team to play your game, you shouldn't then be charging me to play parts of the game on top of that. To me, this is akin to buying an Xbox game like Madden 2020, paying 10X what it is worth, then paying to build your team, and the damn thing starts asking for your CC number every time you want to play a season game. If you don't give the thing your money, it then replies "you don't pay us, then we will rig this game to where you can't tackle the opponent, or we will flag you every time you get a TD". (That's my analogy for the curve outs LOL)

• fahhq2fahhq2 Registered Users, Member 850 Posts
    Great, so a 1% is saying it’s not really a problem-however it was a problem when he was a 99%er. 
    DFBB said:

Is this comment really warranted? Can I join that gravel pit match and make it a tag-team @TheFullMonte???
    DFBB said:

No offense @DFBB but sometimes I just want to wrestle you shirtless in a gravel parking lot and choke you out.*

*i said “no offense,” so you can’t ban me.

I'm just flattered that anyone wants to see me shirtless. lol

In all seriousness, it's yet another example of GLU wanting to push everyone to diamond. 
    fahhq2 said:
    Great, so a 1% is saying it’s not really a problem-however it was a problem when he was a 99%er. 
    DFBB said:

Is this comment really warranted? Can I join that gravel pit match and make it a tag-team @TheFullMonte???
    It's warranted because it debunks the theory that glu is out to get us. In reality, it's simply a numbers game and I just gave you an example of such. 
    edited January 2020
    DFBB said:
    fahhq2 said:
    DFBB said:

It's warranted because it debunks the theory that glu is out to get us. In reality, it's simply a numbers game and I just gave you an example of such. 
    But it’s really not.  And you’re misunderstanding my point.

Again, I don’t begrudge this at all.  There isn’t a company in existence that wouldn’t want to push their current clients to spend more money with them tomorrow than they do today.

im different from @dr@drsmartassphd in that I completely accept that my success percentage as a gold player is lower than those at platinum and theirs is lower than those at Diamond.  Again, that’s how the game is designed, and frankly should be.  

I simply take umbrage with the manner in which they attempt to push their customers to upgrade. Arbitrary “you’re ****” windows are a little dirty in my book.  I have zero issue with lower levels of success for those that have invested less time and money; that’s how life works.  

I’m not talking about the normal fluctuations of RNG.  Where with a capped 540/560 at 20/20 is going to have a ~ 60-70% success rate and that fluctuates back and forth.  I’m talking the straight “you’re ****, you’re not getting through” windows.  it’s an intentional interruption of service in a contrived attempt to make customers pay more money.

We’re all a bunch of morons spending way too much time and money on a video game on our phone.  These are real “first world problems.”

I have an overly developed sense of morality, with a generally low tolerance of risk.  So when I invest, even in something as stupid as a video game, I like to know what I’m getting for my money.  If that’s a 40% success rate.  Fine.  If that’s a 70% rate.  Great.  But I know what I’m getting.

i just don’t like the “hahaha, **** it.  You’re done for today” method.

i think it’s bad business from a largely unimaginative company.   
    DFBB said:
    fahhq2 said:
    DFBB said:

I have an overly developed sense of morality, with a generally low tolerance of risk.  So when I invest, even in something as stupid as a video game, I like to know what I’m getting for my money.  If that’s a 40% success rate.  Fine.  If that’s a 70% rate.  Great.  But I know what I’m getting.

To recap:
    You believe that GLU, at it's discretion, turns up the volume with WoH. Whether that's true or not doesn't actually matter. My point is that as your progress further along in the game, the experiences you speak of will be far less common and eventually, even non-existent. As far as being 'moral' or having 'integrity,' the game didn't suddenly morph into it's current state. In other words, we know what we're getting because it's been this way for an awfully long time.

@TheFullMonte: I don't know how we missed, but I agree with you 100%.

I have stated above and before: I am fine with Diamond players having more advantages. They spend a ton of time and money on the game. My frustration comes with the fact that they completely fricked us over about a month after I switched to gold. Had I known that, I would have just stayed Silver, and been happy to clear HoF twice a week....which is what is happening now at Gold.

Your statement here summarizes me perfectly as well:

You nailed it. Especially a few weeks ago when they opened up Monday by putting 6.9 and 6.10 at insane levels for four hours, then sending that silly little "thanks for your patience, we have it back to normal now" note.

They may have thought it was funny and cute, but their motivations, IMO, were laid out for all to see. Since then, they have only doubled down on that stupidity. They ruined weekend Royale two weeks in a row by making it stupid impossible (with repeated, shitty rewards mind you), and now they have made HoF nearly unplayable again.  This was all done for a reason, and you get that reason.

DFBB said:
    DFBB said:
    fahhq2 said:
    DFBB said:

To recap:
    1). You believe that GLU, at it's discretion, turns up the volume with WoH. Whether that's true or not doesn't actually matter. My point is that as your progress further along in the game, the experiences you speak of will be far less common and eventually, even non-existent. As far as being 'moral' or having 2) integrity,' the game didn't suddenly morph into it's current state. In other words, we know what we're getting because it's been this way for an awfully long time.
    3)
    1) There isn’t a single person that’s played this game for any modicum of time that wouldn’t acknowledge this happens.  Denying this just makes you look silly.  You don’t even have to disagree with it in principle to do so.

2). I didn’t use that word

3). We the people demand you treat our experiences as special, and unique.  I’m just living my truth 

4). Spot reserved for future usage
    DFBB said:
    DFBB said:
    fahhq2 said:
    DFBB said:

To recap:
    1). You believe that GLU, at it's discretion, turns up the volume with WoH. Whether that's true or not doesn't actually matter. My point is that as your progress further along in the game, the experiences you speak of will be far less common and eventually, even non-existent. As far as being 'moral' or having 2) integrity,' the game didn't suddenly morph into it's current state. In other words, we know what we're getting because it's been this way for an awfully long time.
    3)
    1) There isn’t a single person that’s played this game for any modicum of time that wouldn’t acknowledge this happens.  Denying this just makes you look silly.  You don’t even have to disagree with it in principle to do so.

2). I didn’t use that word

3). We the people demand you treat our experiences as special, and unique.  I’m just living my truth 

4). Spot reserved for future usage
    I can play that game too...

1)I didn't say I agreed or disagreed.
    2)I never said you used that word. I used 'integrity' because it's similar in context to the word, moral, which you did use.
    3)I didn't deny your experience. You shared yours and I shared mine.
    4)Shaking. 
  • cooldowncanadacubscooldowncanadacubs Registered Users, Member 643 Posts
    Is one of you gonna take your shirt off? Or am I the only one that felt compelled to?
    Is one of you gonna take your shirt off? Or am I the only one that felt compelled to?
    I’ve been totally naked since my post at 1:47 PM
  • matt_sackettmatt_sackett Registered Users, Member 1,540 Posts
    Well that makes it ackward that Im reading this while I poop then...
    Nothing in life is as beautiful as the Balsamic thread.

• GordonBombayGordonBombay Registered Users, Member 107 Posts
    edited January 2020
    https://www.theawl.com/2017/07/the-shirtless-shitters-among-us/   

I am not one of them but I understand now. 
    DFBB said:

2)I never said you used that word. I used 'integrity' because it's similar in context to the word, moral, which you did use.
    4)Shaking. 

You need to fix one of them.

4) LITERALLY Shaking.

DFBB said:

4)Shaking. 

4) LITERALLY Shaking.

Actually, I am literally shaking right now. It's kind of cold and I'm too lazy to get up to get a sweater. I'm also too cheap to turn the heater on. 
  • ShoveItUpYoenis2ShoveItUpYoenis2 Registered Users, Member 952 Posts
    DFBB said:
    DFBB said:

4)Shaking. 

4) LITERALLY Shaking.

Actually, I am literally shaking right now. It's kind of cold and I'm too lazy to get up to get a sweater. I'm also too cheap to turn the heater on. 

Put your shirt back on, the shirtless mud wrestling can wait for warmer weather 
  • Horse42Horse42 Registered Users, Member 136 Posts
    DFBB said:
    Agreed. There was a time when it took a miracle for me to beat HOF Level 1. But once I started capping guys at D10 with 20/20 skills, HOF became easy and I was able to repeatedly cycle without spending gold or doing video restarts. 
  • matt_sackettmatt_sackett Registered Users, Member 1,540 Posts
    Nothing in life is as beautiful as the Balsamic thread.

• MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    Jimbo actually was nice for me to platoon with Yogi.   But yeah i can see why he doesnt help most.

The reality is WOH isnt the source to drastically improve your team this year other then resources
    DFBB said:
    DFBB said:

4)Shaking. 

4) LITERALLY Shaking.

Put your shirt back on, the shirtless mud wrestling can wait for warmer weather 
    I'm going to disappoint everyone(I think). Shirts are staying on indefinitely. @TheFullMonte messaged me last night to make sure I realized it was all a joke. I'll admit that I've been a tad annoyed lately so it totally went right over my head. My sincere apologies to Monte. Yes, this is probably pm material, but it seemed appropriate that everyone knows that I can be an idiot. The end!