Is Jack Clark a WOH Closer?

SandlotGuruSandlotGuru Registered Users, Member 285 Posts
I've been rolling with an old Orlando Cabrera (520 max) with skills at 20/20 as my WOH closer against lefties.  He's probably had a 50-60% success rate against the The Babe.  Is Jack Clark worth the chase as a potential replacement?  He appears to be at the top of the curve right now in terms of hit rating and his power is solid.  I'm tentatively in the camp of believing that the ROB skill turns on after the first hit and since its impossible to hit an HR off off The Babe, it would remain on unless it goes to extra innings.  A D10 Hornsby should be a great comp - can anyone who closed with him on Monday share how he did? 
Prev1

Comments

• jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    I struggled with 560 bichette with lefty and risp. Had more success with 560 Grich with lefty and blowout. I’d imagine he will he just fine, just depends what made up level they make Babe that week. 
  • criffycriffy Registered Users, Member 625 Posts
    not an exact comp, but g10 hornsby did basically just as well as g10 pee wee. so gold capped 560 vs 540 2x always on.
  • 1994EXPOS1994EXPOS Registered Users, Member 149 Posts
    At this point I'd just wait and hope for a true righty WoH closer. Pretty sure we'll get at least one in the next week or so
  • SandlotGuruSandlotGuru Registered Users, Member 285 Posts
    Appreciate the feedback - I'll be patient and wait for a player with two always on skills.
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    1994EXPOS said:
    At this point I'd just wait and hope for a true righty WoH closer. Pretty sure we'll get at least one in the next week or so
    @SandlotGuru You're still cycling HoF as is. Obviously, you'd like a better success rate, but at diamond, I wouldn't put in all that lxp into a temporary closer. The gold/lxp you save from NOT chasing/leveling(skills too) Jack far outweigh any potential improvement you may get from Jack. There will be better options and soon.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • SandlotGuruSandlotGuru Registered Users, Member 285 Posts
    @DFBB - that's great advice.  It's just so hard to be patient!  Fingers crossed for a stud righty or switch hitter this weekend, maybe with a 580 max?
  • 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    I decided to buy the daily special look what happened. Too bad he’s only going to B1 
  • 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    B10 not B1
  • rodcarperrodcarper Registered Users, Member 5 Posts
    When a strong right handler comes out with both skills active double left pitcher skills will be a god send but remember your skills have to be high the higher the skills the easier it is. I have my players skills at 14 or higher. 
  • drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts
    rodcarper said:
    When a strong right handler comes out with both skills active double left pitcher skills will be a god send but remember your skills have to be high the higher the skills the easier it is. I have my players skills at 14 or higher. 

That also means they are about to jack up the closer at 6.10 above any level they will currently offer, so even if you get your closer to 20/20, he will likely be useless within a week or two if you are not diamond.

Hornsby may be the best option going forward on Babe....

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

• retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts
    rodcarper said:

That also means they are about to jack up the closer at 6.10 above any level they will currently offer, so even if you get your closer to 20/20, he will likely be useless within a week or two if you are not diamond.

🙄 while it may be much more difficult, there are still plenty of silver and gold teams getting through. There are also plenty of diamond teams that cannot get through. 
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    Honestly @drsmartassphd, your constant referencing to only being diamond or bust its becoming utterly stupid and naive. I use to really enjoy reading your posts but the last while that's all you bitch about bud. Like honestly man, I dont know why you feel the need to bring that up in every single post you make. I can say with 100% certainty that your WOH posts about GOLD teams struggling with WOH is complete b.s. I know plenty of gold teams that cycle HOF just fine with their woh bats at 20/20. If you have played this game long enough you know what 20/20 is the key to making WOH easier. Your constant referencing about diamond teams, this and that is becoming like a busted record. If you need some WOH lessons hit up @DFBB, hes the one of the best WOH cyclers that I know. But please, enough dude. For those that say you need to spend alot of money to play diamond level is false. Plenty of people here have done it. Maybe it requires a greater time commitment among other things but it is very doable if you really enjoy playing this god awful game.
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
    I really wish you would go diamond so you can truly understand what it's like. For every one that thinks it's super easy to be a diamond team, you need to understand that comes with quite a few sacrifices. The resources needed not only to level players, but to cycle d6 and simply maintain your team is high. I'm getting a little tired of hearing people that put one tenth of the effort in complaining about diamond teams. A person that's played under 10k games vs people that have played 60-200k games. A person that has spent hundreds versus people that have spent thousands, or a person that has spent thousands versus people that have spent tens of thousands. perhaps a person that spends 4 hours versus people that spend 14 hours.

Long story short- you're exaggerating the game sucking off diamond players and disregarding the time and/or money and/or strategy put in. 

Thereareplenty of diamond teams that have spent well over $10k and can't/don't even know how to cycle WOH. They just get bonus players and slow play for points, never imagining they could actually be cycling. There are also diamond teams that don't cycle woh because they don't want to, and have a team built for other modes. 

"It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
    edited January 2020
    rodcarper said:

🙄 while it may be much more difficult, there are still plenty of silver and gold teams getting through. There are also plenty of diamond teams that cannot get through. 

Agreed, I still get through 3-4 times a week despite that. I'm just being honest about the situation with new players. If you feel I am wrong, we can agree to disagree. I'm just relaying the pattern I've seen, that's all.

For example, Gibson was the closer forever, they release BSD Brett, we all killed it for a week or two, then they jacked up Gibson to where BSD Brett wasn't as consistent. I see no harm in pointing this out.

Just as there is no harm in pointing out Diamond players are still cycling with 520 or 530 guys. The advantage is there, as it should be for them.

Not complaining, just pointing it out. Also pointing out an ATG may likely be the answer if the guy has him. One of Hornsby's skills is LHP. For a while, Matthews was a solid closer for folks below diamond and he had the same skill set vs Righty closers. But with Hornsby, he will also increase in level as the newer players come out.

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

• lovingcurveslovingcurves Registered Users, Member 279 Posts
    I do have my doubts on the veracity of @drsmartassphd hitters skills, pennants, etc.

he seems to be a 159k team strength only. Be comparison, I am a 190k gold team and I have 5 hitters at 20/20 and 2 at 16/16. 

I guess some screen shots could help 🤷‍♂️
    Curves really wants those screenshots 😂
    I really believe that the @drsmartassphd issues is having comes down to mental and/or user error on his part.  Hes stuck inside his own head with all his theories on "cheat outs" and "hit advantages' all that crap for most people here dont even pay attention too. Platoon advantage, of course is real and a big tip for WOH players. But all the other crap that you post about regarding the match up info is giberish in my eyes, never paid attention to that in all my time playing. If your 20/20 double stacked bats with 80g boosts are loosing time and time again, your doing something wrong. If you want to post a video next WOH then maybe you can get some much needed feedback from the community and perhaps gets some actual useful tips.  Shit, even @MoenPDC went diamond a while back when the WOH was getting harder and his team is pretty dam good right now.
    – The Great Houmy
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    To get back to the OPs question.  I prefer to only use guys who start the round with both skills active.  Clark obviously only has one active at the start vs babe.  But again doesnt mean you wont clear with him or that I am right, just a personal preference on my end
    Problem with that @Mattattack is that they dont release 560s with stackable skills till the next bump. So we get all these blowout guys with crap skills for about a month, then when the bump happens to 580, they will drop 560s with stacked skills the week before. At the same time they usually make WOH harder which makes those 540s and under bats almost useless closers
    – The Great Houmy
    Oh completely agree @dkarski87.  I begrudgingly leveled that Peewee from a weeks ago even tho I knew a bump was about to happen.  But outside of him my next best option was a 510 so I felt I didnt have a choice.   I figured a 560 closer type would pop this week but its probably next week now.   Been trying to figure out the pattern but after #yogigate, I see I know nothing. 
    Next week sounds right, maybe this weekend.
    – The Great Houmy
    dkarski87 said:
    Problem with that @Mattattack is that they dont release 560s with stackable skills till the next bump. So we get all these blowout guys with crap skills for about a month, then when the bump happens to 580, they will drop 560s with stacked skills the week before. At the same time they usually make WOH harder which makes those 540s and under bats almost useless closers

LOL. You literally just echoed what I said above. That's what you just ripped me for saying too.

Jeezum.

And on top of that, you have a Diamond player that started this thread stating he still has great success with a 520 true closer.

I followed the thread, made the same reply you just did, and you gave me crap for that.

Understand I have no ill will toward you, I just find that funny.

I point this out, and also try to provide a solution for the group. But nope, Doc's bitching. This is amusing more than anything.

Dont get me wrong, 540s are still very good, you cant expect a 520 to have a high success rate as the bumps happen. But I think @DFBB pointed this out before, everyone has a diff view of what is a good success rate. When I go 20/20 on my WOH guys, I expect around a 90% success rate, this is at diamond. Maybe lower level your looking at 70 to 80.

But I didn't echo what you said, the reason that 520s are still decent at high levels is simply because of the numbers. Higher gaps at higher levels. But I can bet you not many diamond guys are using a 520 stacked guy on 9 or 10 in WOH.

– The Great Houmy
    Curves really wants those screenshots 😂

Yeah I've provided those plenty in the past. I'm working on leveling up more ATGs and 560s now. That process is going much slower because I cut my play time with this game by 90+% over the past few weeks. I also quit farming gold regularly too, so it will take longer. Don't care.

I stated in the last WoH thread I was trying different guys and not all were at 20/20 yet. All I was doing was trying to help the group when it was clear they cranked up Babe again.

No point in taking screenshots of 510/520/540 guys that are G10 20/20 now. They are all solid 6.1-6.7 simmers.

• criffycriffy Registered Users, Member 625 Posts
    so just read through all of this.

for the TLDR crowd:
    @dkarski87 agrees with me that @drsmartassphd just may suck at this game - DM some stickers
    @lovingcurves really wants those s/s of @drsmartassphd 's team
    everyone wants @drsmartassphd to stop bitching about diamond cause he has no idea

just a regular thursday morning on the forums
    Peewee is over 90 percent against the Babe for me.  I really cant ask for more then that.   I assume once 560 closers come, they should probably be decent the rest of the game.
  • dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
    edited January 2020
    dkarski87 said:
    Dont get me wrong, 540s are still very good, you cant expect a 520 to have a high success rate as the bumps happen. But I think @DFBB pointed this out before, everyone has a diff view of what is a good success rate. When I go 20/20 on my WOH guys, I expect around a 90% success rate, this is at diamond. Maybe lower level your looking at 70 to 80.

But I didn't echo what you said, the reason that 520s are still decent at high levels is simply because of the numbers. Higher gaps at higher levels. But I can bet you not many diamond guys are using a 520 stacked guy on 9 or 10 in WOH.

Just to muddy the waters...Baylor (510) at 20/20 was 11/12 this past week and 12/13 at 6.10 3 weeks ago. I used 530 Bregman week before last at 16/16 who went 4/4 and then 3/9. Difference being? You guessed it; capped vs uncapped skills. That is what I hang my hat on for past experience. Next bump Baylor probably has an issue but I will still try with him.
  • COWPILEYCOWPILEY Registered Users, Member 825 Posts
    To get back to the OPs question.  I prefer to only use guys who start the round with both skills active.  Clark obviously only has one active at the start vs babe.  But again doesnt mean you wont clear with him or that I am right, just a personal preference on my end
    I was wondering about Jack versus Molitor since I pulled him yesterday. Got thru 1/3 with Molitor at gold 13/13 but not sure I’d invest any more in his skills with Leadoff. Fingers crossed for weekend boxes. 
    criffy said:
    so just read through all of this.

for the TLDR crowd:
    @dkarski87 agrees with me that @drsmartassphd just may suck at this game - DM some stickers
    @lovingcurves really wants those s/s of @drsmartassphd 's team
    everyone wants @drsmartassphd to stop bitching about diamond cause he has no idea

just a regular thursday morning on the forums

1) Not close

2) Yes and will later

3) Not what Doc said about Diamond either. Not even close.

COWPILEY said:
    I was wondering about Jack versus Molitor since I pulled him yesterday. Got thru 1/3 with Molitor at gold 13/13 but not sure I’d invest any more in his skills with Leadoff. Fingers crossed for weekend boxes. 
    I personally have not dealt with the Leadoff skill when it comes to WOH but from about 90% of the people I've heard from say they do not like it for WOH