OT Help Needed: Huge Dilemma. Which NES Game Do I Play First?

drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts

I'll try to do something I'm terrible at: Make a long story short.

I busted out my NES and am about to get back into it once this debacle ends. I recently bought a cartridge on Ebay that has 405 NES games on it. You can only save one game at a time while you play.

I got this thing yesterday and I was excited. Thought I had a plan, but ended up just going through all the games for hours and never really did anything but get sensory overload that ultimately caused a migraine. Yeah, Doc is a fricked up dude, but you all knew this.

Those of you who remember NES, we didn't have the interwebs or social media to help us buy games. If you bought a shitty game for $50 in 1986, you were stuck, and it sucked. I owned many games, but they were always "safe" buys.  I never ended up playing games like Castlevania, Kid Icarus, etc.  All of these are on this cartridge. My initial go-to right now is Castlevania. Always heard how awesome that was back in middle school. Plus the Angry Nintendo Nerd gives it a great reviews even 30 years later.

So, here are my questions for the group:

A) Name your favorite "traditional" NES game, meaning one that everyone likely owned.

B) Name an obscure game that you liked, and also let me know if that game required a code or a memory save. I want to see if it is on the list and mark it down for later.

I will use this to help guide where I go.

Please and Thank You!

TL;DR:  Doc bought an NES cartridge with over 400 games and he wants your help.

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

Prev1

Comments

• matt_sackettmatt_sackett Registered Users, Member 1,540 Posts
    Metroid..
    Nothing in life is as beautiful as the Balsamic thread.

• drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts
    Metroid..

Noted. Currently #2 behind Castlevania on my list. Never played that one either. May move to #1 with this thread.

Require memory save or code entry?

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

• chris320320chris320320 Registered Users, Member 70 Posts
    My go to was always Punch Out.  Could make it to Mike Tyson but never was able to get past him.  After that I would go with Contra.
  • lovingcurveslovingcurves Registered Users, Member 279 Posts
    Both Zeldas
    TMNT Arcade Game (even the weirdo 1st was fun)

and the obscur one...Maniac Mansion 
  • Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    The Legend of Zelda is a clear #1 for me.

Obscure (?): Bionic Commando

Zelda is a memory save.  Bionic Commando has no save feature that I remember.
    Actually my all-time favorite is probably Tecmo Super Bowl.  Also a memory save.
  • SandlotGuruSandlotGuru Registered Users, Member 285 Posts
    All-time favorite is Super Mario 3 - the tanooki suit, hammer mario, Kuribo's shoe - tricks and secret everywhere - that game blew my pre-pubescent mind.  Favorite obscure game is Bomberman - endless fun blowing up midgets who cry in disappointment.
  • toddgurley30toddgurley30 Registered Users, Member 252 Posts
    I loved baseball stars.  It was this before this.  🤣
    edited January 2020
    Tdub71 said:
    Actually my all-time favorite is probably Tecmo Super Bowl.  Also a memory save.

I've been wearing out STB3 on the SNES. How that game wasn't more popular is beyond me.

Another classic.  My favorite part was the knock-off names they used for Babe, Cy, and the other greats.
    Tdub71 said:
    The Legend of Zelda is a clear #1 for me.

Obscure (?): Bionic Commando

Zelda is a memory save.  Bionic Commando has no save feature that I remember.

Zelda 1 and 2 are on there. I have Zelda 1 on a separate cartridge. I'll play Zelda 2.

Right now my new order is Metroid, Castlevania and Zelda 2...

I think that's on there. Bases Loaded 1 and 2 are on there along with a few others.  I'll check.

My go to was always Punch Out.  Could make it to Mike Tyson but never was able to get past him.  After that I would go with Contra.

I beat him a couple days ago. Second try. Solid muscle memory.

The one I still struggle with is the damn Russian, Sodapopinsky

• matt_sackettmatt_sackett Registered Users, Member 1,540 Posts
    Metroid does have a memory save..Castlevania is also one I have held in High Regard since I was young. Bionic Commando also pretty high up.
    Nothing in life is as beautiful as the Balsamic thread.

Baseball Stars and Bionic Commando are both on this thing. Hell yes.

• lovingcurveslovingcurves Registered Users, Member 279 Posts
    Rsultat de recherche dimages pour maniac mansion

Am I the only one who played that shit ? :smile:
    I only vaguely remember Maniac Mansion, but it looks dreadfully awesome.
    Talking NES games, grinding vids for gold, signing arrest warrants...

It's gonna be a good day.

@lovingcurves I'll check later to see if that's on there too

• chris320320chris320320 Registered Users, Member 70 Posts
    Rsultat de recherche dimages pour maniac mansion

Am I the only one who played that shit ? :smile:

I did love playing this and still can thanks to the interwebs

• tshea510tshea510 Registered Users, Member 1,786 Posts
    Zelda by far was my favorite and still is on the newer platforms. Metroid is up there also, but for me a distant 2nd. Castlevania was cute and fun, but Zelda was addicting and challenging
    Just a Silver team from the wrong side of the tracks, so what do I know? 🤷
  • More2Most2FirstMore2Most2First Registered Users, Member 777 Posts
    Tdub71 said:
    I was selfishly kind of hoping nobody had put this yet, so I could be the one to do so, lol.  EASILY the best football video game of all-time. Simple evidence?  Since the day it was released roughly 30 years ago 😳, I have gone no longer than a couple of weeks without having both a working NES and a working copy of Tecmo Super Bowl.

I’ll add that the only sports video game I put ahead of this, on my personal top list, is MVP Baseball 2005 on ps2...now THAT was what a baseball game should be like...it is not only the best sports video game of all-time, but simply the best video game of all-time - at least in my opinion 😁
    @More2Most2First, we would regularly play 8-man tournaments on Tecmo Super Bowl when I was in college (of course we made a drinking game out of it) in the early 00's.  I was career undefeated.
    @Tdub71

I can only imagine how much belligerent fun those tournaments were!  Myself, I’ve only lost once - to my older sister of all people - when we were kids and I used the Colts and she used the Raiders...I literally just could not stop MF Bo Jackson that game 😂... but I never let her beat me again and she stopped playing me not long after that, lol.

Good, much simpler times those were!
    @More2Most2First
    Amen.  Those were the days.  Low-res graphics on a tube TV.  Doesn't get much better.
    @Tdub71, absolutely, and as importantly, only 2 buttons to worry about mashing 😂
    Don't forget the "Tecmo Shuffle".  Maybe the greatest individual move in gaming history.  
    @Tdub71 Are you talking about the going back and forth across the screen or is this something else that I somehow don’t know about???
    Yeah, the zig-zag run.  If you are good enough at it, you can waste and entire quarter on 1 TD run.  I would sometimes do that just to piss people off...
    Tdub71 said:
    Yeah, the zig-zag run.  If you are good enough at it, you can waste and entire quarter on 1 TD run.  I would sometimes do that just to piss people off...
    😂  Never had an official term to call it.  I like “tecmo shuffle”!  Best version of this was Okoye at excellent health because not only could you do the “tecmo shuffle” with him, but if you messed up, it was ok because the defenders would explode off his body as he continued his run to glory 😂