Free to Play Players - Experience, Tips & Advice

numb3r5numb3r5 Registered Users, Member 13 Posts
Hello All,
I started playing TSB in 2016 as a F2P player, spent money in 2017 and 2018 and went back to F2P in 2019. I wanted to start a discussion to help myself and any other players thinking of being F2P in 2020 with any tips and tricks gained in previous versions. 

In 2018 I spent, but not quite enough to make VIP. I was cycling WOH at gold and was part of a club of heavy hitters. Meaning I never won CVC. My excitement started slow in 2019, its quite the fall off going from a stacked team that could cycle to a bunch of 4* guys. I got lucky and managed to find a platinum club of very casual players quite early on and started improving my team almost entirely through CVC boxes, daily achievement boxes and gifts. I stayed silver knowing I wouldn't have the resources to level gold players. I now have a team strength of 135k+ and manage to clear HOF most weeks. I have never cleared more than twice in a day. 

The only reason I have been able to do that was by finding an almost dead plat club. Which would be my #1 piece of advice for any F2P player. Far more difficult now due to cooldown. I still have no idea how the club managed to get to plat with the low interest of the members. 
This tactic probably wont be available in 2020 because of the cooldown. I have also had to be very selective with who I cap, focusing on guys who have double active skills for either cvc or woh.

So i want to ask other F2P players what has been your strategy in 19 and will it change for 20? 
Good luck to everyone

Comments

• TheFullMonteTheFullMonte Registered Users, Member 1,589 Posts
    edited February 2020
    1 - solo CVC club
    2 - build roster specifically tailored for WOH HOF.  Do not level players that don’t contribute heavily in this mode
    3 - gold is a precious precious resource for F2P players.  Do not use it to chase players, only for leveling skills of WOH closers.  Player chasing in CVC only.
    4 - rinse and repeat

• criffycriffy Registered Users, Member 625 Posts
    i was f2p for the vast majority of this year (basically after july until woh required 20/20 to be able to cap cycle). agree with what @TheFullMonte outlines above.

one thing to add is absolutely hammer 2x gold weekends - i would grind anywhere from 20-35k in gold those weekends.
  • BlackFang4BlackFang4 Registered Users, Member 515 Posts
    numb3r5 said:
    Hello All,
    I started playing TSB in 2016 as a F2P player, spent money in 2017 and 2018 and went back to F2P in 2019. I wanted to start a discussion to help myself and any other players thinking of being F2P in 2020 with any tips and tricks gained in previous versions. 

In 2018 I spent, but not quite enough to make VIP. I was cycling WOH at gold and was part of a club of heavy hitters. Meaning I never won CVC. My excitement started slow in 2019, its quite the fall off going from a stacked team that could cycle to a bunch of 4* guys. I got lucky and managed to find a platinum club of very casual players quite early on and started improving my team almost entirely through CVC boxes, daily achievement boxes and gifts. I stayed silver knowing I wouldn't have the resources to level gold players. I now have a team strength of 135k+ and manage to clear HOF most weeks. I have never cleared more than twice in a day. 

The only reason I have been able to do that was by finding an almost dead plat club. Which would be my #1 piece of advice for any F2P player. Far more difficult now due to cooldown. I still have no idea how the club managed to get to plat with the low interest of the members. 
    This tactic probably wont be available in 2020 because of the cooldown. I have also had to be very selective with who I cap, focusing on guys who have double active skills for either cvc or woh.

So i want to ask other F2P players what has been your strategy in 19 and will it change for 20? 
    Good luck to everyone
    1) Join an aspiring club in platinum or diamond.
    2) Establish yourself as an awesome member of said club, outperforming everyone for a few days. 
    3) Say that you're really good at recruiting new members and you have alot of friends that will join if the club makes you leader.
    4) Get a few guys together who you trust and tell them your nefarious plan. I personally trust [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] and asked them to help me.
    5) Tell the leader that all these guys will join if you are made to be leader. 
    6) Have all the guys pm the leader and say, "Yo I heard Fang wants to be leader. If he becomes leader well come too!"
    7) The leader gives in.
    8) He makes you leader.
    9) Give an acceptance speech in chat.
    10) Thank them for trusting you.
    11) Rename club to something that people would never search for in the club page, such as "XFDSHAJA."
    12) BASEBALLER22 has been removed from XFDSHAJA
    13) BillyJoe43 has been removed from XFDSHAJA
    14) YOMOMMA has been reassigned to member.
    15) YOMOMMA has been removed from XFDSHAJA.
    16) Watch as the former leader cries. 
    17) Kick him.
    18) TROUT69 has been removed from XFDSHAJA.
    19) Profit from your completely self made diamond club.
    20) Thank your comrades.

Please note this was all hypothetical and has certainly not been implemented in any way shape or form. All similarities to real life figures, including all names, faces, and clubs is entirely coincidental. 
  • TimidDeuceTimidDeuce Registered Users, Member 87 Posts
    I have been F2P since I started playing TSB2017.  I agree with the general sentiments outlined above, not including the club stealing tactics.  I've spent maybe $50 this year, and will remain F2P for 2020.  
    I recommend staying at Bronze level (or at least silver) as long as possible, provided you can Cycle WOH.  The player maxes accelerated pretty quickly early on this year, so you end up sinking resources into guys that are only in your line up for 1 or 2 weeks.  You sink much less if you're at Bronze or Silver
    I like the ballpark, and last two years I bought it on day 1.
    I also like POTW early on in the season, especially guys like Yelich who have a decent chance to repeat later in the season.  DO NOT trade them in.  If they repeat, they get the bump and are a bonus player again.  Decent use of gold.
    I also like POTM, but only in the first few days after they're released.  They help with the max bump that occurs every month, especially if you land a guy with two WOH skills.
    +1 on hammering double gold weekends
    +1 on saving resources for players with 2 strong WOH skills - try to limit redundant players, even if it makes your team temporarily weaker in other formats.
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    numb3r5 said:

Good luck to everyone
    CvC is the lifeblood of any 'good' f2p team. However, when '20 drops, gold clubs will be extremely valuable and platinum clubs will be nothing more than a pipe dream. At least, for awhile. 
    F2pers know that it's all about the grind. Grind videos(even when it's not 2x), grind WoH, grind SF, grind cash battles, etc. Early on, I'd also put an emphasis on club events that also improve your team(WoH). As an f2per, taking the optimal approach is key and bonus players for the sake of bonus points will stunt the growth of your team. As far as player investment, I'd focus on WoH players and then, branch out. Cvc, pitching, etc. is a luxury and they can definitely wait. 

If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • numb3r5numb3r5 Registered Users, Member 13 Posts
    Thanks for the input all. Ensuring CVC wins is key. But I imagine evolving a club to gold let alone plat by yourself is a tall order
  • Horse42Horse42 Registered Users, Member 136 Posts
    What does “F2P” mean?
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Horse42 said:
    What does “F2P” mean?
    f2p=free to play. No money is spent, although that term is used loosely in tsb(usually minimal amounts).
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • TheFullMonteTheFullMonte Registered Users, Member 1,589 Posts
    Horse42 said:
    What does “F2P” mean?
    It’s a designation for the players that load up on all the bonus sticker sets first.

if you get them all early, they’re huge bonuses throughout the season 
  • drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts

I'd love to know how much gold I farmed this year.

No, take that back. I don't want to know.

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

• aaronchennaaronchenn Registered Users, Member 455 Posts
    I remember I farmed 12k gold during double gold in the course of 12 hours to get Fan Rewards Bregman the first two weeks the game was out...
  • drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts
    I remember I farmed 12k gold during double gold in the course of 12 hours to get Fan Rewards Bregman the first two weeks the game was out...

My biggest mistake this year, and there were many, was farming 50K worth of gold to get Fan Rewards Rod Carew, thinking he would help me in WoH. He was obsolete about a day after I got him and leveled him up.

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

• matt_sackettmatt_sackett Registered Users, Member 1,540 Posts
    edited February 2020
    Nevermind.
    Nothing in life is as beautiful as the Balsamic thread.

• RIMillionairesRIMillionaires Registered Users, Member 14 Posts
    A few things I def do different:

1) def choose better keepers. The 2 keepers I brought over were not equipped for WOH. Instead of easily just taking my ATG, this year I will take closers for woh and prob ATG Paige for SP. right now, I’d prefer to take green (both RH bonuses) and Kiner (both lefty bonuses) over my ATG hitters. Green can be an every day player, but kinder can’t. So although it limits me in every aspect, my team would be better served for woh cycle caps. 

2) solo team play for c vs c, or keeping mostly newbs in your Open public club so you can outscore in c vs c and level faster. 

3) create a “holder acct” so I can jump into clubs that have .3 discounts more often. I used way too much resources leveling up and can be much smarter about next year. 

4) after team is capped at gold, open club to seasoned players only and grow together. I enjoy playing with a loaded diamond team, as scoring is much higher for sprint and bonus game events, but this does not help your team grow unless EVERYONE is scoring heavy. 

Just my thoughts 😉👍