WoH 2/10/20: 560 Paul Molitor (Runners on, FIYA) Legend Prize

Comments

• drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts
    Yeah Monte, he does, but I really need that LxP. I bought a damn field pass too for the week in hopes of leveling another guy. I have two more 560 guys I wish I could level. LOL

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

• COWPILEYCOWPILEY Registered Users, Member 825 Posts
    Could use Alonso...510 Cooper getting long in the tooth. Might level Olerud or Clark if they let me keep Dykstra unscathed. 
  • TheFullMonteTheFullMonte Registered Users, Member 1,589 Posts
    Yeah Monte, he does, but I really need that LxP. I bought a damn field pass too for the week in hopes of leveling another guy. I have two more 560 guys I wish I could level. LOL

Don't level 560 guys.  Unless you're talking skills on Kiner or Matthews.  Otherwise you're wasting your resources
    Got it, Monte. I did level two LL's instead.  Granted, they were 540, but they replaced some 510 guys in my lineup.

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

• aaronchennaaronchenn Registered Users, Member 455 Posts
    0-5 on Ruth today. On the bright side, Molitor is useless for WOH and I won't need to upgrade him so whatever.
  • criffycriffy Registered Users, Member 625 Posts
    0-5 on Ruth today. On the bright side, Molitor is useless for WOH and I won't need to upgrade him so whatever.
    there are other modes to this game other than woh ya know. i was primarily focused on woh for a long time but may i suggest you guys joining up a semi competitive club and compete in other events outside of woh? makes the game way more entertaining - at least in my opinion
    Agree...it was until it wasn’t. 
    COWPILEY said:
    Agree...it was until it wasn’t. 

LOL. Yep.

Ruth got me to 6-0, two outs, runner or first, and Kiner just put up single after single and somehow managed to win. Probably it for me today, too much effort for too little of a reward.
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,856 Posts
    criffy said:
    there are other modes to this game other than woh ya know. i was primarily focused on woh for a long time but may i suggest you guys joining up a semi competitive club and compete in other events outside of woh? makes the game way more entertaining - at least in my opinion
    I don't even like walk off anymore. In fact, I generally avoid it 🤷🏻‍♂️
    "It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
    The only events that don’t run in concurrence with CvC are.....WOH, and the Wednesday event which has a CvC match immediately following (which was okay until the cool down). CvC and FtP versus spenders are the club chemistry killers unless you have a tight club. Unless they change CvC into a more club-friendly event (or not on so many days) then doubt I’ll play next year. Solo club gets real old. 
  • FrankTheTank04FrankTheTank04 Registered Users, Member 1,092 Posts
    Still feeding that glu monster?!?  Stop!  You can have my Reggie Smith, because I'm not going to use him anyway.  That's good enough for one whole level.  I'll continue using Pee Wee.
    Just no.  

I do GREAT at CvC. That's where I get all these badass players I can no longer level up. LOL

IMO, WoH HoF is one of the better skill-based parts of the game. That's why I like it so much.

I tried the HR derby thing, but that got old quick.

And again, I don't expect to win every round, but if they don't want to give stuff away anymore via the event, then just offer the legend with no XP. I'd still play and try to cycle cap.

• dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    Derby takes more skill then WOH.  WOH itself takes very little skill if you know how to build a bad ass WOH team.
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • Punkers777Punkers777 Registered Users, Member 236 Posts
    I'm 1/3 with G10 Reggie Smith. Both skills at 16 with 80g boosts. 
  • 25Jackie25Jackie Registered Users, Member 245 Posts
    I got Kiner 16/16 Gold  80g boost  and  am  6 - 8. 
    edited February 2020
    25Jackie said:
    Damn the difference between 80g and video boost. 1-8 vs 6-8
    I guess I might 80g boost a few times, see what happens. Don't really know if it is worth the reward though.
  • squirtymcsquirtsquirtymcsquirt Registered Users, Member 15 Posts
    25Jackie said:
    Damn the difference between 80g and video boost. 1-8 vs 6-8
    I guess I might 80g boost a few times, see what happens. Don't really know if it is worth the reward though.
    Player not worth it but LXP definitely is
  • SandpipersSandpipers Registered Users, Member 1,327 Posts
    There’s weird sht going on full time... both my teams have Hornsby as my babe closer. I’ve been winning at around 90-95% for both teams despite not having him capped until a week or so ago and skills now at 16/16....I also homer against babe with Hornsby 🤷🏻‍♂️. However, this weekends Royale I would need video restart more often and did lose a couple times but the real surprise was Gehrig who has almost never lost against Gibson for the past few weeks, but now since Saturday he struggles, even with 80g boost. I’d say I’ve gone from being lights out to about 60% win rate Gehrig vs Gibson since Saturday. Both got thru today without too much stress but once is enough and slow playing the rest of the day.
    It's all done with mirrors

I ended up playing more last night, and between about 5PM CST until 10CST, I cleared five times. The streak started before the video boost additions. I cleared twice with G10 Kiner at 17/17 and three times with G10 Hornsby 18/17.

I did not use any gold as I ran out earlier in the day.

Criffy's advice on keeping Greene at 6.9 paid off as he eventually quit being curved out by Gibson. So clearing 1.1-6.9 was only taking me about 22-25 minutes.

I finally solved the Ruth Riddle, at least from my standpoint. Here is what I can share and hopefully helps.

The Bad: IF Ruth starts your inning off with a curve out, and believe me you will know it (or you will see his pitch calling rating of 60 after the put out), just use what you have left of that round to practice.  You are going to lose. You will usually get curved out after about 3 runs.  This happened to me about four times yesterday, but after the video reboot, I would always get a fair shot.

The Ugly: This "new and improved" Ruth (if you are Gold, this isn't a G3 guy, seriously. GLU is full of crap) has to be treated much differently. In the past, I could homer often the opposite way, slam doubles, etc.  Not anymore. The key to my success yesterday on that streak (beat him 5 of 8 tries) was PULLING his slow pitches.

The Good: The ability to distinguish between these two is key. Straight slow = treat it like HR derby. I pulled two loooong shots with Hornsby, one to end a game. Yes, a HR to Left field to end a round against Ruth. You still need to hit the fastballs away. You pull a fastball, you are in trouble.

I also noticed that if don't distinguish a slow pitch properly, you hit it the other way and it goes foul, you will hear the nerf bat and the ball will slowly roll foul. That is your cue to pull the next one. Mistiming a slow one saved me at least ten times. What is weird too is that is usually the only pitch he will throw that at entire at bat. I would sit and sometimes foul off waiting on fast one later. Nope. All slow. Pull it.

If no one is on base, the shift is on, and you get a slow one? I was slamming a hit through the shift...

Another difference I noticed is that Kiner, while having the ability to put up runs and clear Babe, he doesn't have the power that Hornsby does. Kiner didn't hit a HR. Slammed a few hard doubles, but no HRs.

Also, when I would pull a slow one with Kiner, it would be that painful slow, blooping single over the shortstop as opposed to a slamball through the infield. Kiner also pulled several "ground rule doubles" where it looks like the outfielders will collide, but the ball bounces and goes over the wall, whereas Hornsby just rips it in the gap.

This is already too long, but I hope it helps. I'll test it out more Wednesday.

Either way, the ability to cycle cap a player at Gold is still insanely difficult, as was the intent by GLU a few weeks ago. I got 5 yesterday, whereas a month ago I could get 8-10 in that same amount of time using Harrah. Hopefully this new approach helps me get back to that.

• criffycriffy Registered Users, Member 625 Posts

Either way, the ability to cycle cap a player at Gold is still insanely difficult, as was the intent by GLU a few weeks ago. I got 5 yesterday, whereas a month ago I could get 8-10 in that same amount of time using Harrah. Hopefully this new approach helps me get back to that.

i got in 12 - same as usual. glad you finally figured out your solution but i think timing up babe is way more difficult than other pitchers. actually requires some skill, but i could just be imagining things.
  • lovingcurveslovingcurves Registered Users, Member 279 Posts
    Thank you for that weekly episode of « I won’t try this crap again, only to cycle for 5 straight more hours because I had free time » @drsmartassphd !

btw I’m still waiting for screenshots of your team 🤷‍♂️😂😂😂
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    IMO, WoH HoF is one of the better skill-based parts of the game
    Not sure how to say this but there is zero skill involved WOH.  You get the pitches or you dont and thats based on HIT rating vs pitcher STUFF rating.   The skill portion is done in making leveling decisions 
    edited February 2020
    Thank you for that weekly episode of « I won’t try this crap again, only to cycle for 5 straight more hours because I had free time » @drsmartassphd !

btw I’m still waiting for screenshots of your team 🤷‍♂️😂😂😂

Well I shared above what my new closers are at. The screenshot really needed? I'm trying to get Kiner to 20/20 and Hornsby to 20/18 at least. They are both short of that now, as stated above.

FullMonte is to blame for me trying again. As is Criffy. LOL

Not sure how to say this but there is zero skill involved WOH.  You get the pitches or you dont and thats based on HIT rating vs pitcher STUFF rating.   The skill portion is done in making leveling decisions 
    Yeah that's become more evident now with the recent increase in the guys at 6.9 and 6.10. Although 6.10 does now require skill, your point still stands. If you don't get enough straight pitches due to RNG, you will lose no matter how good you are.

• cooldowncanadacubscooldowncanadacubs Registered Users, Member 643 Posts
    What about the pics of the hot wife?  
  • matt_sackettmatt_sackett Registered Users, Member 1,540 Posts
    and team...seriously...
    android or iOS I am happy to post a guide for either device on how to screen shot...it appears you don't know how.
    Nothing in life is as beautiful as the Balsamic thread.

• MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    Yeah that's become more evident now with the recent increase in the guys at 6.9 and 6.10. Although 6.10 does now require skill, your point still stands. If you don't get enough straight pitches due to RNG, you will lose no matter how good you are.
    Its all an RNG based game.   But using a guy with 2 skills active at the start which signals the best hit rating you can get will give you the best shot at good RNG.   Beating it once or twice with a guy who's skills wont always be active isnt necessarily the best indicator even though people do it.   It's all about building your own sample set based on your own experiences.
  • bobdylan_fanbobdylan_fan Registered Users, Member 303 Posts
    I am wondering if any of you have tried 580 Mike Schmidt Runners/Runners vs Babe....and if so - what kind of results are you getting?
    and team...seriously...
    android or iOS I am happy to post a guide for either device on how to screen shot...it appears you don't know how.

I'll snap my WoH shot tomorrow