Most desired skill - keepers

Thekid84Thekid84 Registered Users, Member 216 Posts
So I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on what you think the most desirable skills are for keepers going from 19 to 20.  I understand WOH is king to most, bet I'm curious about overall game play.  I'm attracted to the man in base skill and am thinking if I can find a max player with 2x that skill, I'm all in.  I feel its universal in just about all modes except HR battles with no slugger roster in 20.

What are your thoughts on what kind of skills you're looking for in your bat keepers?
Prev1

Comments

• fahhq2fahhq2 Registered Users, Member 850 Posts
    Most will seek a combo of Late Inning/LHP or anything else that will be double active on WoH. I believe blowout for CvC. However, u brought up an interesting point. I’m sure there will be new skills for the HR target thingy just to add to the growing list of mini game specialties. I really hope they don’t do it unless the rewards for winning are feasible, but it would add a little diversity I guess. I do cringe at some of the silly skills that have ruined some players. Remember 2 out skill on Ted Williams circa TSB18 and down by 3 or less on Jackie Robinson TSB19. 
  • JdotChristopherJdotChristopher Registered Users, Member 392 Posts
    Jackie makes me mad every time I see that dumb skill.  That would be my keeper easily if that was a late inning still!  
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    I like skills that are likely to be active in all modes.  I know over 90%  of people live and die by Walk Off Hero but the game has gone in a different direction.   I like the MOB skill and RHP as I feel like those will active the most
  • cooldowncanadacubscooldowncanadacubs Registered Users, Member 643 Posts
    Double blowout. I used to dislike it, but this year I’ve learned how valuable that skill is. No, it’s not ideal for WOH. Next in line would be Double RHP or RHP + MOB. 

I generally try to stay away from “Late Innings” skills as they only really apply for WOH

Least Desirable Skills for me are:

Two out 
    RISP
    Close Game

• WaveburnerWaveburner Registered Users, Member 290 Posts
    I'm actually hoping a max 600 double hot hitter gets released. Even better if he's a LHB. @DFBB convinced me this is an awesome skill for non-WOH modes.
  • AccelmanAccelman Registered Users, Member 65 Posts
    As a primarily F2P player, I'm planning on maximizing my keepers for CVC. One skill that I really liked in a couple of my players this year was 1st pitch. I'd actually love a switch hitting guy w/ double 1st pitch skills (probably won't even be offered though). I had the early 490 legend Bagwell w/ MOB and 1st pitch, and he's still on my roster because he's Mr. Reliable.

So I'd like these, in approximately this order:

1st Pitch
    Blowout
    MOB
    RHP
  • babyjbootsbabyjboots Registered Users, Member 465 Posts
    I'd really like the elusive double tournament skill make a huge appearance in TSB 2020!

In reality the only skills I'll spend resources on are Late Innings, WOH, L/RHP, ROB, RISP, Hot hitter, blowout and close/rally (for lower tier WOH guys).  That covers all the game modes for me.  Anything else I see it too specialized.

• iratepirateiratepirate Registered Users, Member 306 Posts
    Accelman said:
    As a primarily F2P player, I'm planning on maximizing my keepers for CVC. One skill that I really liked in a couple of my players this year was 1st pitch. 
    Agreed. My 1P/1P Nick Ahmed has done really well for me in all modes.
    Keepers: Ruth/Posada/Paige. ML is SS (RHP/RHP) - I went Platinum June 17
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    Thekid84 said:
    So I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on what you think the most desirable skills are for keepers going from 19 to 20.  I understand WOH is king to most, bet I'm curious about overall game play.  I'm attracted to the man in base skill and am thinking if I can find a max player with 2x that skill, I'm all in.  I feel its universal in just about all modes except HR battles with no slugger roster in 20.

What are your thoughts on what kind of skills you're looking for in your bat keepers?
    For WoH:
    1)lefty bat w/ 2x vs rhp
    2)lefty bat w/ vs rhp/man on base
    3)lefty bat with 2x man on base
    4)woh/late inning skills are nice too, but with certain exceptions(600 max switch hitter), I want my woh guy to also crush other modes. 

for CvC/other modes:
    1)2x blowouts
    2)Blowouts/hot hitter combo
    3)2x hot hitter
    4)any combo of skills where both will be active at the same time, with a strong emphasis on skills vs rightys. 

If you want to go f2p, I'd strongly advise prioritizing WoH bats. CvC is a luxury and having a good/elite cvc team isn't necessary to win cvc rounds. 

If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • Horse42Horse42 Registered Users, Member 136 Posts
    I agree with @DFBB. I would add that instead of a lefty bat, I’d prefer to have a switch-hitter.
  • judgesmails1judgesmails1 Registered Users, Member 114 Posts
    I prefer double rhp skills and double lhp skills to use for walkoff.
  • DODGERSYANKSDOADODGERSYANKSDOA Registered Users, Member 110 Posts
    @DFBB
    great analysis by the way.
    So I would say that you are currently waiting for the 2019 600’s to be totally revealed before you select your top 3 for 2020?
    BUT At this point in time, You are thinking maybe

YOGI
    ~GREEN
    And.  YOUNG OR PAIGE

Am I close?
    edited February 2020
    @DFBB
    So I would say that you are currently waiting for the 2019 600’s to be totally revealed before you select your top 3 for 2020?

YOGI
    ~GREEN
    And.  YOUNG OR PAIGE

Am I close?
    ML will have two skills and that changes everything. He will be my closer and as a result, I don't 'have' to have my keepers as closers. This indirectly made Yogi more valuable and so far, he has the highest power of any player for '19(important for SF). If you don't want to use your ML as a closer vs rightys, then I think it's important to have someone like Green or Dykstra. Personally, I will wait until '20 launches before declaring my keepers. I have a feeling the best is yet to come! As far as pitcher, it'll likely be Paige(I don't have Young) unless a better SP comes along.
  • DODGERSYANKSDOADODGERSYANKSDOA Registered Users, Member 110 Posts
    @DFBB
    Outstanding!  I completely forgot about the personal legend!  Thanks for that.
    I think you are right, the best is yet to come.
    So any thoughts on GLU releasing an ATG MAYS
    this year?
    Everybody loved the SayHeyKid!!!!   Hank, The Mick,
    And Say Hey. Completes the trio!!!!!!!!!

• eman0023eman0023 Registered Users, Member 156 Posts
    Great point on the ML.  Anybody have the list of skills for ML on 2020?
  • Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    I think that is posted near the top of the Beta thread.
  • eman0023eman0023 Registered Users, Member 156 Posts
    Tdub71 said:
    I think that is posted near the top of the Beta thread.
    See it. Thanks!
  • Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    Personally, my personal favorite would be double hot-hitter, since it was changed to 1 hit to activate.  I have also really come around on blow-out, since WOH is no longer my main focus.
  • mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    DFBB said:
    @DFBB

YOGI
    ~GREEN
    And.  YOUNG OR PAIGE

Am I close?
    ML will have two skills and that changes everything. He will be my closer and as a result, I don't 'have' to have my keepers as closers. This indirectly made Yogi more valuable and so far, he has the highest power of any player for '19(important for SF). If you don't want to use your ML as a closer vs rightys, then I think it's important to have someone like Green or Dykstra. Personally, I will wait until '20 launches before declaring my keepers. I have a feeling the best is yet to come! As far as pitcher, it'll likely be Paige(I don't have Young) unless a better SP comes along.
    @dfbb  when do you think the last 19 Tsb box will be released? Or an exact date when 20 will drop? I’ve been trying to time everything so I have enough gold to chase any player I may want but not be left with lots of gold, 
  • COWPILEYCOWPILEY Registered Users, Member 825 Posts
    Are ML skills cost the same as regular players in 2020 ? Get to gold, have a closer ? Seems too good to be true. 
    edited February 2020
    do we get to choose whether our ML bats R/L/B?
    i don’t remember but mine hits R and his skill is 2 out. 
    i was dumb. still am.
  • SandlotGuruSandlotGuru Registered Users, Member 285 Posts
    Yes, you can choose R, L or switch.  Frankly, I can't think of an argument for choosing anything other than a switch hitter.
    cool. so what is the best skill to start the ML with? 
    then what second skill would you add when you hit gold?
    from the beta thread:

ML has the same skills as last year LHP, RHP, RISP, 2 outs, Blowout
    Base Ratings  HIT/PWR/SPD
    Balanced: 79/79/79
    High Average: 91/67/67
    Top of the Order: 86/66/86
    Base Thief: 75/75/103
    OPS: 85/85/78
    HomeRun King: 78/95/45
    40/40 man:  70/89/86
    and what HIT/PWR/SPD profile is good?
  • SandlotGuruSandlotGuru Registered Users, Member 285 Posts
    You may get a variety of opinions on the preferred skills topic because it really depends on your favorite game mode, but personally I love WOH, so I plan to use double vs RHP.  It will always be turned on in WOH and CvC (assuming that I pay attention to match-ups), and on about 75% of the time in regular game play because right handed pitchers are far more common.
  • JCAM80JCAM80 Registered Users, Member 606 Posts
    Homerun King with a Hit + Power of 173 start is my choice. 
    DFBB said:
    @DFBB

YOGI
    ~GREEN
    And.  YOUNG OR PAIGE

Am I close?
    @dfbb  when do you think the last 19 Tsb box will be released? Or an exact date when 20 will drop? I’ve been trying to time everything so I have enough gold to chase any player I may want but not be left with lots of gold, 
    I'm not sure. There's a Mid March date that has been circulating so I've been planning around that date. Things can happen and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets pushed back. 

cool. so what is the best skill to start the ML with? 
    then what second skill would you add when you hit gold?
    Everyone has a preference. I always choose OPS leader and '20 will be no different. Once you hit gold, the 2nd skill options will be:
    -vs lhp
    -vs rhp
    -first pitch
    -late innings
    -runners on
  • mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    Ugh just gonna have to play it by ear then thanks @DFBB 👍🏻
  • 1994EXPOS1994EXPOS Registered Users, Member 149 Posts
    edited February 2020
    DFBB said:

Once you hit gold, the 2nd skill options will be:
    -vs lhp
    -vs rhp
    -first pitch
    -late innings
    -runners on
    Interesting, wondering if making ML's 2nd skill Late Innings would be worth it, instead of 2x vsRHP. It would be nice for WoH to have 2 skills active vs RHPs and 1 skill active vs LHP, though it would be less ideal for all other modes.