Pitcher Keeper - 510 Sp or 560 Rp?

MOSSMOSS Registered Users, Member 21 Posts
Judging by the recent posts, landing quality pitchers has been rough this year. That being said, what do you all think is a better keeper option for '20.... 510 Legend  SP Jack Morris or 560 Legend RP Trevor Hoffman? I'm thinking Morris would be a better option early in '20, but Hoffman is superior for the long haul. Any and all opinions are welcomed, thanks!

Comments

• JCAM80JCAM80 Registered Users, Member 606 Posts
    My opinion is always SP. But at 510 overall, I would not invest 4x/5x BXP to bring either of those to '20. If not already, there will quickly be options better than those at 20-25% cost. I'm also thinking as a Diamond team. If you only play to Silver/Gold, the investment is considerably more within reach. 
  • ShoveItUpYoenis2ShoveItUpYoenis2 Registered Users, Member 952 Posts
    Between those two, Hoffman without a doubt. 
  • samthemansamtheman Registered Users, Member 686 Posts
    If those are your only choices I agree on Hoffman. You can put him at RP1 or SM and
    get 2-3 innings out of him every single game.
  • PhillyPhan87PhillyPhan87 Registered Users, Member 187 Posts
    MOSS said:
    Judging by the recent posts, landing quality pitchers has been rough this year. That being said, what do you all think is a better keeper option for '20.... 510 Legend  SP Jack Morris or 560 Legend RP Trevor Hoffman? I'm thinking Morris would be a better option early in '20, but Hoffman is superior for the long haul. Any and all opinions are welcomed, thanks!
    I'd pick the 560 max RP just because you can take him to Gold and he will likely be your top reliever all year. My concern with the 510 SP is that he might not really keep pace with your other SP's. It's hard to tell.

I had 530 max SP Seaver as my Keeper pitcher this year (when the max last year was 550). I maxed him out in Gold and he mostly was the top or near the top SP I had all year, but not by much. When I went Platinum, he stayed Gold but I never got around to boosting any pitchers to Platinum so he is still my best starter.  I have a bunch of Prime SP's but not a single Legend. I still have never rolled a Prime or Legend RP. Not one.

The important thing to me is, RP's are very useful in the first half of the year, but not valuable the last half of the year (top starters can pitch complete games). But Keepers are more of a first half of the year thing anyway, if you go beyond Gold they aren't worth leveling up. I'd pick the Reliever knowing you likely won't level him past Silver/Gold anyway.
    Luck = getting all curveballs in WOH
  • judgesmails1judgesmails1 Registered Users, Member 114 Posts
    I’d go Hoffman 
  • EProspectPhilsEProspectPhils Registered Users, Member 112 Posts
    I am going against the grain here.  I am going to say to keep Jack Morris.  I kept a 500 living legend Kluber as my keeper pitcher this year.  He absolutely dominated.  Even though he was 50 below the top players, he was worth his weight in gold to me.  I needed him early on to win the playoff games.  Those resources are critical the first couple of months.  If you take the reliever, those hard matchups are decided before they even get to come in.    It is easier to come by decent relievers at the start of the game, but starting pitching is always tougher for me to get.  
  • MOSSMOSS Registered Users, Member 21 Posts
    Wow this is some great insight, thanks guys. Still have some time left to think, maybe land some1 new that will make the decision a lot easier. Enjoy one of the last Weekend Royale's of '19 everyone!
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    You really cant go wrong.   Although a 510 might not seem like much, it really depends how you plan to play in 2020.   Like if you will plan on staying the lower tiers or rise up to diamond.    Hoffman has a better chance of being on your roster all year though
  • MOSSMOSS Registered Users, Member 21 Posts
    Well I just landed Hoyt ATG, guess that's my answer