‘19 Winding Down

navyjack77navyjack77 Registered Users, Member 1,299 Posts
At the end of TSB ‘18, I was excited about the chance to start over in ‘19 and build up a great WOH lineup. That was just my preference. I went Diamond too early in ‘18 and could never catch up. In ‘19, I played it smart. I went Diamond fairly quickly, but I was ready for it. I regularly cycle cap the HOF rewards on Monday’s, if the player was worth the time and effort. I accomplished my goal, but what did that leave me? I have spent enough money on ‘19 alone to buy 3-4 sets of really nice golf clubs and a yearly membership to a really nice course. I enjoyed the ride though, but now I’m sitting on some really nice Keepers to move forward to ‘20. At what cost though? What is my goal this year? I feel I would have more fun playing golf everyday or at least much more frequently than playing this game. Towards the end of ‘18, there was excitement to move to ‘19. I’m not getting that same feeling at the end this year. This could be because of some of the changes made to the game, or it could be that I accomplished the goals I had set for myself. In the end, I still felt an emptiness, like there was something else I could accomplish, but outside of spending every minute of everyday cycling D6, or spending thousands of more dollars, I’ll never win a VIP gauntlet event or Place first in every Cooperstown bracket event. So maybe it is time to hang up the cleats (thumb cushion) and move on. In the mean time, if I do download ‘19, I have a dilemma on my two hitting Keepers. I’ve got 600 Brett or Cruz (both double vs RHP) and Wagner or Cabrera ( both double vs RHP). What are your thoughts? About all the issues, not just the Keepers. Thanks.

Comments

• maddmaxx67maddmaxx67 Registered Users, Member 140 Posts
    Cabrera is the better option over Wagner as he has quite a bit more power. Brett and Cruz are a pickem.
  • cooldowncanadacubscooldowncanadacubs Registered Users, Member 643 Posts
    At the end of TSB ‘18, I was excited about the chance to start over in ‘19 and build up a great WOH lineup. That was just my preference. I went Diamond too early in ‘18 and could never catch up. In ‘19, I played it smart. I went Diamond fairly quickly, but I was ready for it. I regularly cycle cap the HOF rewards on Monday’s, if the player was worth the time and effort. I accomplished my goal, but what did that leave me? I have spent enough money on ‘19 alone to buy 3-4 sets of really nice golf clubs and a yearly membership to a really nice course. I enjoyed the ride though, but now I’m sitting on some really nice Keepers to move forward to ‘20. At what cost though? What is my goal this year? I feel I would have more fun playing golf everyday or at least much more frequently than playing this game. Towards the end of ‘18, there was excitement to move to ‘19. I’m not getting that same feeling at the end this year. This could be because of some of the changes made to the game, or it could be that I accomplished the goals I had set for myself. In the end, I still felt an emptiness, like there was something else I could accomplish, but outside of spending every minute of everyday cycling D6, or spending thousands of more dollars, I’ll never win a VIP gauntlet event or Place first in every Cooperstown bracket event. So maybe it is time to hang up the cleats (thumb cushion) and move on. In the mean time, if I do download ‘19, I have a dilemma on my two hitting Keepers. I’ve got 600 Brett or Cruz (both double vs RHP) and Wagner or Cabrera ( both double vs RHP). What are your thoughts? About all the issues, not just the Keepers. Thanks.
    I was definitely excited when 19’ was launched. I made far too many mistakes in 18’. So when 19’ launched, I was still attached to “Club Mayhem”...awesome group of guys, incredible leader. I tweaked everything I was doing to make myself the most useful to the club, and my solo club. It came at a financial cost, but I was having loads of fun. The problem is once you have a game plan, and successfully execute it, if there is nothing more than greed, then the incentive gets lost. It is not an overnight occurrence.  It takes weeks and months. But that is the feeling I was left with. 
  • cb11cb11 Registered Users, Member 341 Posts
    I agree with everything that has been said. I'm personally F2P. $1 to remove ads this year and will probably up my spending a little to get the stadium next year (still 1/6 the cost of a PS4 game lol). It's a lot easier to not spend when you take away your card from the account after the first purchase. I'm excited for next year because this is the first time I have a clear cut gameplan for how to enjoy the game and build the best team I can. Chances are if I finish all my goals next year, I will also lose that motivation in '21. But we will see. Although it is a harder road, I find it a lot less stressful (and ultimately more fun) when the serious financial investment is removed. Plus, it reminds me more of the good-old-days of gaming when there weren't ways to buy progress. One flat rate and the game and what you want to do with it is yours. We can't close that box of how gaming companies do business, but this way works for me even if I'm at a competitive disadvantage.
  • retirepujolsretirepujols Registered Users, Member 4,855 Posts

Visual representation of what I could have done with the money I spent on tsb19. Spent probably 3-4,000 hours easily on this game as well. I enjoy your questions here as I personally know I need to stop playing. Outside of this past weekend's royale, I've spent very little time (and money) playing 19/20 and I feel better. I'm on the edge of deleting 19/20/line and just moving on, but I haven't been able to help myself and make that move yet. 
    Tl;dr: yes, I think you would have a better time playing golf more often rather than this game, and that sounds like a healthier option. *Screams for help are muted*

"It's amazing how much work you can put in without gangly-ass legs in the way" - Sir Tdub71
  • baseball2020baseball2020 Registered Users, Member 511 Posts
    I feel like this is quickly becoming a therapy session for us addicts lol.

here is where I am at currently and this is only a fraction of my thoughts.

I flip flop back on forth on whether I want to play the 2020 version. As much as I want to say that I’m just going to play casually, it’s either I’m in or I’m not. If I play, I know I’ll spend. I’ve already spent way more money on this game than I’d ever thought was possible for a mobile app game.
    As much as I have enjoyed playing, there is still so much I don’t know about this game. Do delayed starts really help your club? How the hitter ratings are calculated? How a silver team can blow a diamond team out of the water in CVC? How much difference does it make as a righty batter facing a left handed pitcher as opposed to a right handed pitcher? How much do pennants actually influence the RNG in WOH/CVC? Same for team upgrades? I could go on. There is so much ambiguity throughout this game I sometimes wonder why I keep paying to play this game. It’s like I put in all this time, effort and resources and I’m still slightly behind. Maybe it’s just a part of learning the game, I don’t know.
    Gold level was fun for awhile but then became boring and monotonous. Platinum is no mans land. Diamond was fun for the first couple of weeks but I feel like you have to buy field pass to level players and to cycle D6. Then I’m just consumed with playing bonus games to finish and then start all over again. The time, the effort, the money, the monotony and the ambiguity has just worn on me the last couple of months. Maybe I just need a break. Maybe I just need to walk away. 

• dustyhunksdustyhunks Registered Users, Member 1,672 Posts
  • ShoveItUpYoenis2ShoveItUpYoenis2 Registered Users, Member 952 Posts

Visual representation of what I could have done with the money I spent on tsb19. Spent probably 3-4,000 hours easily on this game as well. I enjoy your questions here as I personally know I need to stop playing. Outside of this past weekend's royale, I've spent very little time (and money) playing 19/20 and I feel better. I'm on the edge of deleting 19/20/line and just moving on, but I haven't been able to help myself and make that move yet. 
    Tl;dr: yes, I think you would have a better time playing golf more often rather than this game, and that sounds like a healthier option. *Screams for help are muted*

👍🏻

I might be joining you shortly. Time to uninstall TSB and install Tinder
  • criffycriffy Registered Users, Member 625 Posts
    edited March 2020

👍🏻

I might be joining you shortly. Time to uninstall TSB and install Tinder
    You might have a shot at finding the real mandy on it.

I also will definitely go about 2020 at a much more casual pace. Trying to repeatedly get jailed to kick this habit but will see if that works.
  • drsmartassphddrsmartassphd Registered Users, Member 3,133 Posts

As mad as I am at myself, you guys are making  me feel much better. I didn't do 1/4 of the damage you did in terms of spending money. I know I farmed probably 300K in gold since I started, but I do that during the day while I'm working. Really easy to do.

In terms of breaking a habit, you guys are on the right track. First step is gaining perspective!!

Yes, we are aware of the game having crashing issues in the middle of WoH, but we can't compensate you for the gold you lost at this time. This is done on a case by case basis. - TSB Customer Service

• PhillyPhan87PhillyPhan87 Registered Users, Member 187 Posts
    I feel like this is quickly becoming a therapy session for us addicts lol.

here is where I am at currently and this is only a fraction of my thoughts.

I flip flop back on forth on whether I want to play the 2020 version. As much as I want to say that I’m just going to play casually, it’s either I’m in or I’m not. If I play, I know I’ll spend. I’ve already spent way more money on this game than I’d ever thought was possible for a mobile app game.
    As much as I have enjoyed playing, there is still so much I don’t know about this game. Do delayed starts really help your club? How the hitter ratings are calculated? How a silver team can blow a diamond team out of the water in CVC? How much difference does it make as a righty batter facing a left handed pitcher as opposed to a right handed pitcher? How much do pennants actually influence the RNG in WOH/CVC? Same for team upgrades? I could go on. There is so much ambiguity throughout this game I sometimes wonder why I keep paying to play this game. It’s like I put in all this time, effort and resources and I’m still slightly behind. Maybe it’s just a part of learning the game, I don’t know.
    Gold level was fun for awhile but then became boring and monotonous. Platinum is no mans land. Diamond was fun for the first couple of weeks but I feel like you have to buy field pass to level players and to cycle D6. Then I’m just consumed with playing bonus games to finish and then start all over again. The time, the effort, the money, the monotony and the ambiguity has just worn on me the last couple of months. Maybe I just need a break. Maybe I just need to walk away. 

I went platinum like 2 months ago and I almost finished maxing my lineup and honestly, what was the point. I recommend just staying Gold to people. You can build resources, level the latest players to max quickly, everything is beatable. Platinum is a no mans land and I can't even imagine trying to level my lineup in Diamond, but I'm not a hardcore player either. I am a VIP but havent been spending lately.
    Luck = getting all curveballs in WOH
  • criffycriffy Registered Users, Member 625 Posts
    i followed @retirepujols and uninstalled this morning. hopefully it sticks but who knows. good luck to you all - i'll be lurking around these parts every now and then but 'tis time to say goodbye in game
  • Tdub71Tdub71 Registered Users, Member 1,876 Posts
    It is truly a shame that you guys have quit, or are seriously considering it.  This community is what brought me back in the first week of January, after going full-stop for 4 months.

I came back, committed to F2P, and jumped from gold straight to diamond.  2 months back, and not a penny spent, and I am actually having fun again.  If the community dies, the game dies, at least for me.

@retirepujols, @criffy, @ShoveItUpYoenis2, and others, I hope you guys can find the fun again, and come back more casually.  That has worked for me.
  • MattattackMattattack Registered Users 1,971 Posts
    edited March 2020
    Was fun playing with you @retirepujols  @criffy
    Wish you both the best

• 2003cobra2003cobra Registered Users, Member 2,720 Posts
    Was fun playing with you @retirepujols  @criffy
    Wish you both the best

Agreed. That last 2 months playing in the clubs together has been the most fun I’ve had with this game in quite a while