GLU sold !!!

2Next

Comments

• CanadaCubsCanadaCubs Registered Users, Member 1,235 Posts
    If EA can influence one thing, can that be getting rid of the freaking recaptha??!!
    Introducing Captcha Crusher! 
    For $9.99/week get the edge on your opponents! 
    1 time gift includes 400 gold and 10 BGs!
    "If you can't beat them, report them"
  • TheFullMonteTheFullMonte Registered Users, Member 1,589 Posts
    DFBB said:
    Coming from someone that has played this game since  around 15 and used to spend thousands every year I’ve watched it go down hill.. I welcome EA. 
    I HATE glu so much that I welcome ANY ownership change and I hate change.. if EA does an equally terrible job of running the app (which I find impossible) so be it. At least the glutards won’t be in charge anymore. At least I won’t have to talk Juan the costumer service dude that doesn’t even know what Woh is. At least we might have people that actually know what baseball is and maybe they might know players actual positions!! EA will also expand their player catalogue... no more bs repeat no name legends! 
    So just in case you didn’t read anything In regards to the acquisition. Glu is still going to be run by the same people. They are just under the EA umbrella now. Nick Earl is still in charge and I’d imagine, with how profitable TSB has been, we won’t see many changes on that front either. Given the current climate we are in, I certainly hope no one loses there job. But either way, I don’t see much changing overall. EA doesn’t really have a baseball game to feed off of in regards to expanding their player catalogue. Maybe they have deeper pockets to buy more rights but I can assure you, if they do that, that cost will be pushed on the players. My expectation is, they will further expand bonus sets to drive the cost of the game up even more. That’s about all I’d expect. 
    This was my take too. I'm anxious to see how it all shakes out, but EA is buying into glu's business practice for obvious reasons. 
    Considering that EA is currently litigating allegations of the same loot box practices that we’re all under the assumption GLU is using as well...this feels like a merger made in player hell
  • jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    DFBB said:
    Coming from someone that has played this game since  around 15 and used to spend thousands every year I’ve watched it go down hill.. I welcome EA. 
    I HATE glu so much that I welcome ANY ownership change and I hate change.. if EA does an equally terrible job of running the app (which I find impossible) so be it. At least the glutards won’t be in charge anymore. At least I won’t have to talk Juan the costumer service dude that doesn’t even know what Woh is. At least we might have people that actually know what baseball is and maybe they might know players actual positions!! EA will also expand their player catalogue... no more bs repeat no name legends! 
    So just in case you didn’t read anything In regards to the acquisition. Glu is still going to be run by the same people. They are just under the EA umbrella now. Nick Earl is still in charge and I’d imagine, with how profitable TSB has been, we won’t see many changes on that front either. Given the current climate we are in, I certainly hope no one loses there job. But either way, I don’t see much changing overall. EA doesn’t really have a baseball game to feed off of in regards to expanding their player catalogue. Maybe they have deeper pockets to buy more rights but I can assure you, if they do that, that cost will be pushed on the players. My expectation is, they will further expand bonus sets to drive the cost of the game up even more. That’s about all I’d expect. 
    This was my take too. I'm anxious to see how it all shakes out, but EA is buying into glu's business practice for obvious reasons. 
    Considering that EA is currently litigating allegations of the same loot box practices that we’re all under the assumption GLU is using as well...this feels like a merger made in player hell
    Basically.  Anyone who seems excited by this is really just looking at it through the lens of “I hate glu” without really knowing anything about who bought them. It’s not just as simple as “EA is bigger so it can’t get worse”. They just paid 2.4 billion dollars, they aren’t going to be looking on ways to cut costs and spending. They will be looking to recoup the 2.4 billion. 
  • DFBBDFBB Registered Users, Moderators, Member, Moderator 6,602 Posts
    DFBB said:
    They just paid 2.4 billion dollars, they aren’t going to be looking on ways to cut costs and spending. They will be looking to recoup the 2.4 billion. 
    Bingo.
    If you're not having fun, you're losing.
  • dkarski87dkarski87 Registered Users, Member 3,040 Posts
    Bend over and get the lube ready. Its going to get worse.
    "Oops we need to restart! Yeap that's 2019 for ya!"
    – The Great Houmy
  • xxHataxxxxHataxx Registered Users, Member 38 Posts
    Agree with all of the sentiments that EA is about money. They paid 2.4 Bil for the company. They definitely won't be looking to not make money.

Where I AM hopeful though is in the actual baseball/sport sense.
    If you look at The Show, NHL, Madden etc. Behind the programing they tend to have a better grasp of the actual sport. Players. Skills. etc etc.
    I am HOPING that someone who actual carries some baseball knowledge and not just a straight coding/programmer making money off of an app mindset where Glu cared about using the game to make money. They saw an avenue that wasn't being "tapped" in really interactive game. TAP baseball. But GLU never gave two shits about baseball as a whole. Recycled the same players all the time. Gave nobody players prime versions etc. Stuff that anybody who gave a shit about baseball would never do.
    In no way is this going to change anything about the costs to play the game. Anybody who thinks otherwise is delusional. My only hope is that whoever gets put in charge of it actually carries base knowledge about baseball and it's current atmosphere/players etc. It just felt like GLU was looking at lists of players on teams and picking guys at random to make Prime or Legend or whatever.

This, I think is the best case/hope scenario.
  • ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    If EA can influence one thing, can that be getting rid of the freaking recaptha??!!
    Introducing Captcha Crusher! 
    For $9.99/week get the edge on your opponents! 
    1 time gift includes 400 gold and 10 BGs!
    Yeah, isn't that the truth... That's actually not far fetched that Glu or any other mobile gaming would stoop down to that... Glu particularly...
  • jalapenocubbiesjalapenocubbies Registered Users, Member 1,057 Posts
    xxHataxx said:
    Agree with all of the sentiments that EA is about money. They paid 2.4 Bil for the company. They definitely won't be looking to not make money.

Where I AM hopeful though is in the actual baseball/sport sense.
    If you look at The Show, NHL, Madden etc. Behind the programing they tend to have a better grasp of the actual sport. Players. Skills. etc etc.
    I am HOPING that someone who actual carries some baseball knowledge and not just a straight coding/programmer making money off of an app mindset where Glu cared about using the game to make money. They saw an avenue that wasn't being "tapped" in really interactive game. TAP baseball. But GLU never gave two shits about baseball as a whole. Recycled the same players all the time. Gave nobody players prime versions etc. Stuff that anybody who gave a shit about baseball would never do.
    In no way is this going to change anything about the costs to play the game. Anybody who thinks otherwise is delusional. My only hope is that whoever gets put in charge of it actually carries base knowledge about baseball and it's current atmosphere/players etc. It just felt like GLU was looking at lists of players on teams and picking guys at random to make Prime or Legend or whatever.

This, I think is the best case/hope scenario.
    So, all I can say to this is, in regards to prime players. Yes, they repeat players and often make no namers prime. But generally who cares? Primes have been worthless since the first few weeks legends have been out. I don’t care if they make 100 mike trout primes or they gives us, Myles straw. Primes are worthless beyond bonus sets. 
    In regards to legends, it’s all based in who they have the right for. Generally speaking, more rights equals more money, which as we know gets passed off to the customer. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the cost of the game has gone up exponentially as we continue to add more and more ATGs. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t think I am. So while yes, I’d love more variety, it also means most expensive. They aren’t going to cut down on new bonus boxes etc which is the only way to limit 5 versions of the same legend. 
  • SlashlineSlashline Registered Users, Member 80 Posts
    If you have any experience whatsoever with EA, you would not be excited by this news.
  • ToughthundercatsToughthundercats Registered Users, Member 1,959 Posts
    DFBB said:
    Basically.  Anyone who seems excited by this is really just looking at it through the lens of “I hate glu” without really knowing anything about who bought them. It’s not just as simple as “EA is bigger so it can’t get worse”. They just paid 2.4 billion dollars, they aren’t going to be looking on ways to cut costs and spending. They will be looking to recoup the 2.4 billion. 
    Oh no you are right but I still hate Glu, and yes it can and probably will get worse and I'm sure we will be wishing Glu was still the owner in about a year or so. I don't know any worse but I also know it ain't going to get any better either. So I hope for status quo but with improved CS, and less game issues to cause us to use CS.
  • DirectFXDirectFX Registered Users 110 Posts
    EA kings of micro transactions and Ultimate Team that killed career or franchise modes for getting rich real quick ... EA told Glu to hold my beer when they bragged about screwing players over for money 
  • mythicaldragonmythicaldragon Registered Users, Member 2,418 Posts
    edited February 2021
    That is typically how it works when a company is sold that is going to continue to operate under the same name/umbrella. “Agreements” are made and once the everything is said and done folks start getting the ax. Cut the dead weight. Happened with my company 15 years ago. I hate to see anyone lose their job but unfortunately there just might be a few justifiable terminations in order at glutard headquarters. 
    Also imo I don’t think the game will cost more but it’s certainly not gonna cost any less. We shall see... 
    Cheers 🍻 
  • cosmopottercosmopotter Registered Users, Member 5 Posts
    I worked with EA for years... great company.
  • baseball2020baseball2020 Registered Users, Member 511 Posts
    dkarski87 said:
    Bend over and get the lube ready. Its going to get worse.
    Lube? Lol...nobody’s getting any lube. Well, maybe, just maybe it might get offered in a $99 special.